Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Hopefully Apple does a revision fairly quickly and comes up with some additional models with some of the older setups returning.

I doubt Apple will be bringing any of the older setups back. In fact, they can keep the current lineup of laptops right were it is since we don't need a fourth and fifth 13.3" model making things more confusing.

Just give us that mini tower, and give us a few more BTO options in the pro models or the option of a barebones kit with OS DVD so we can choose all of our own parts.

So maybe the 17" will stay as the Pro computer?

I have noticed that. And I do really hope the 17" won't get jacked up like the 15" MBP did. They will redesign it, they will put the same keyboard on there and so forth, but I hope they don't give us a third useless USB port with the added space on the 17". Hopefully they put another FW800 port or even better an eSATA port there instead.

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Just in think: in the PC world they're limited by a crappy OS but have all the hardware in the world to choose from. In our Apple world we have the most stable, rock solid OS, but we're limited by a very, very poor selection of hardware.
I use both. I find both have flaws, both have virtues and neither trumps the other overall. OSX should be way, way better than Windows as it runs on hardware specced by the same people. the reality is I have an unbelievably unstable MacPro and an old PC laptop that just keeps on working.
Oh and Finder is pathetic and completely undermines the OS. It's so 1990s in ability. Not to mention it randomly loses my hard drives.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
It's not just professionals that Apple has abandoned. They've abandoned the the entire Apple creative community, from hobbyists through professionals. They've stripped their laptops down and made the line leaner to maximize profits. Apple is now producing computers designed to appeal to consumers of content rather than people who actually create content.

Apple's pursue of non-excellence will only get stronger unless enough of the creative types complain (politely) to Apple via their product feedback forms, via snail-mail letters send to Apple, and the like...

Agreed. I am a hobbyist and I won't be "upgrading" any time soon.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
You know what, Im starting to get pissed of with people mentioning no blu-ray is a deal breaker. I mean what, if Apple were to increase their 15" MBP price more and include blu-ray, what will you say? Ohh its too expensive, Apple should lower the cost of their MBP and Im sure I will kept hearing about Apple sux, Apple overpriced hardware, Apple this and Apple that. Blu-Ray is still too early, MANY people won't even bother buying a blu-ray disk. If backup is so freaking important, get a external hard disk, much faster transfer speed then burning up your blu-ray disk.
Besides beside storage, what's the point of owning a blu-ray player on a notebook screen which won't be able to display full HD (let me guess, next people will want a HD resolution on the MBP), you will need a 40-50" monitor to see the difference between HD and DVD.

I agree that lack of FW on the MB is a let down but if you think about it, a lot of people who buy MB, don't use FW. Don't do the survey in the forums cause most of us will say we need FW, go out there and make a nation wide survey on who use MacBook firewire and I can be sure that the number of people who use MB FW will be much less then people who don't use FW.

I do agree that glossy screen will definitely bother people. The MB has glossy screen for quite awhile and I don't see these photo experts or video experts who requires FW, say that they won't buy the MB again cause of glossy screen.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
You know what, Im starting to get pissed of with people mentioning no blu-ray is a deal breaker. I mean what, if Apple were to increase their 15" MBP price more and include blu-ray, what will you say? Ohh its too expensive, Apple should lower the cost of their MBP and Im sure I will kept hearing about Apple sux, Apple overpriced hardware, Apple this and Apple that. Blu-Ray is still too early, MANY people won't even bother buying a blu-ray disk. If backup is so freaking important, get a external hard disk, much faster transfer speed then burning up your blu-ray disk.
Besides beside storage, what's the point of owning a blu-ray player on a notebook screen which won't be able to display full HD (let me guess, next people will want a HD resolution on the MBP), you will need a 40-50" monitor to see the difference between HD and DVD.

I agree that lack of FW on the MB is a let down but if you think about it, a lot of people who buy MB, don't use FW. Don't do the survey in the forums cause most of us will say we need FW, go out there and make a nation wide survey on who use MacBook firewire and I can be sure that the number of people who use MB FW will be much less then people who don't use FW.

I do agree that glossy screen will definitely bother people. The MB has glossy screen for quite awhile and I don't see these photo experts or video experts who requires FW, say that they won't buy the MB again cause of glossy screen.
Hmmm... I just bought a Sony HVR-Z7U, and have been filming in HD now, but what am I suppost to be doing with the footage? Making DVD's only?

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Hmmm... I just bought a Sony HVR-Z7U, and have been filming in HD now, but what am I suppost to be doing with the footage? Making DVD's only?
Yeah, cause if you are planning to distribute it to a lot of people, then DVD is the right choice, A LOT of people still haven't own blu-ray players. Make the HD version as downloadable through online, US internet speed is fast enough to download HD content, for Malaysia, it will take 1 day or more to download HD contents, providing it has constant fast internet speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.