Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac-a-doodle

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Michigan
Isn't this a bit premature?

Unless I am mistaken, the top of the line MBP is not updated yet, and you can still buy one of those if you are a professional with that level of monitor accuracy need. And until that model is replaced with one of the 'dumbed-down' new ones, what's the point of debating it?

I, for one, can't wait to upgrade to the new Aluminum model with the nicer screen design. :apple:

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Unless I am mistaken, the top of the line MBP is not updated yet, and you can still buy one of those if you are a professional with that level of monitor accuracy need. And until that model is replaced with one of the 'dumbed-down' new ones, what's the point of debating it?

I, for one, can't wait to upgrade to the new Aluminum model with the nicer screen design. :apple:

Why does a bigger screen equal top of the line?

Have fun with your nicer mirror monitor.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Dv5t

eSATA would be very nice - I have to use an ExpressCard 34 adapter for that right now. I don't see HDMI as a plus (it's the same as DVI with sound added), but if you're going to hook up to a TV often then maybe it is - plus I realize some people are simply up in arms about the new MiniDisplay port. The HP is a about .6" thicker, which is a lot (in my book). It comes with mini-firewire, so while one could argue about needing an adapter, it does offer as many firewire ports as the new MBP does. :D 802.11n is available as an extra-cost option (btw it's been my experience with XP that wireless support is a bit less trouble-free than w/ Mac - you end up "repairing connection" every so often). Doesn't have a 7200RPM drive available, unlike the new MBPs. Media card reader is a nice touch. I'd guess the battery performance isn't quite as good "as advertised", but that's based on very little.

But wait - isn't the screen glossy?

Also if you have an existing Windows XP disk laying around, you could improve the laptop pretty quickly. :D ;) :eek: (Couldn't resist)

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
I think Apples really lost me and in a lot of ways underwhelmed me with the updated MacBook/Pro offerings. I don't own a laptop yet but for on the spot editing/previews when I do my photography I'd love a MBP. I recently looked at the Lenovo W700 and my god its a dream machine filled with blu-ray, double raided HDD, wacom tablet and color calibration built in and not for that much more then a nicely loaded MBP.

Apple has really lost my faith in making the products that pro's and creative individuals are proud to use all for the sake of making them so that all those soccer moms can use them at home.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Pros should be happier overall with the Mac Pro anyways. The processors are much faster, multiple drives, two 30 inch non glossy screen options. I don't know how a Pro can be productive on a notebook compared to a beast like the Mac Pro.

I know it is for when you are on the road. But what percentage of people is that in the large scheme of things? And can't you complain that you need 32 GBs of memory or 10,000 rpm drives in your Notebook to do your work too?

Urenstaat

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
I am a pro but not a full time photographer. I write. Yesterday I popped out to the Apple Store to compare the new glossy MacBook Pro to a 17-inch MacBook Pro, which were next to each other on display. The matte screen of the 17-inch was far superior to the glossy screen because it is much easier on the eye. On the 15-inch screen I could see the reflection of the ceiling lights and the contrast & sharpness was far too high; great for watching a DVD, not so great if you're staring at your MS Word window for 9+ hours a day. I need a screen I can look at all day non-stop without any distractions.

I did the sensible thing. I went online and bought a brand new 'old' 15-inch MacBook Pro for a great discount to replace my Powerbook G4. I think it's sad. I've been in the market for a new notebook since almost a year and have been holding out for the new design, which I like.

It's simple; Apple should bring back the matte screen on the 15-inch and make it a few millimeters thicker to cater for more ports, since connectivity is important for creators of content. They also should have beefed up the 13-inch MacBook with Firewire to make it a true recplacement of the old 12-inch Powerbook. Some Pro's need portability. I, for instance, don't own a car, so a 17-inch is just too big.

Why didn't they make a cheap 13-inch MacBook Air for students and people who consume content instead of create it? The MacBook Air uses the same unibody technique as the MacBook. I don't see why it has to be so expensive.. The Air could also make a great Apple netbook if they used a 10-inch screen. Think how sexy this machine would look. Right now, they're loosing the clear distinction between pro and consumer. I think this is bad. If they had made the MacBook 19 dollars more expensive they would not loose profit when including Firewire and still sell the same amount, right?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Pros should be happier overall with the Mac Pro anyways. The processors are much faster, multiple drives, two 30 inch non glossy screen options. I don't know how a Pro can be productive on a notebook compared to a beast like the Mac Pro.

I know it is for when you are on the road. But what percentage of people is that in the large scheme of things? And can't you complain that you need 32 GBs of memory or 10,000 rpm drives in your Notebook to do your work too?

Those of us with mobility needs make good use of a well equipped laptop, but obviously, the percentage we represent is low enough to qualify as a niche. Apple wants the masses, and seems to be uninterested in the pros anymore.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Not good enough for the finishing work, but certainly better than the alternative until you can get back to your S-IPS display. A matte notebook display may not be perfect, but it is better. That's the point.

Yeah; the default 'calibration' Apple's notebooks leave the factory with, though, is terrible. It's harder to calibrate the glossy displays but it is doable. I just hate having to sit away from windows, sometime that's a pain. But I live with it.

I am a pro but not a full time photographer. I write. Yesterday I popped out to the Apple Store to compare the new glossy MacBook Pro to a 17-inch MacBook Pro, which were next to each other on display. The matte screen of the 17-inch was far superior to the glossy screen because it is much easier on the eye. On the 15-inch screen I could see the reflection of the ceiling lights and the contrast & sharpness was far too high; great for watching a DVD, not so great if you're staring at your MS Word window for 9+ hours a day. I need a screen I can look at all day non-stop without any distractions.

I did the sensible thing. I went online and bought a brand new 'old' 15-inch MacBook Pro for a great discount to replace my Powerbook G4. I think it's sad. I've been in the market for a new notebook since almost a year and have been holding out for the new design, which I like.

It's simple; Apple should bring back the matte screen on the 15-inch and make it a few millimeters thicker to cater for more ports, since connectivity is important for creators of content. They also should have beefed up the 13-inch MacBook with Firewire to make it a true recplacement of the old 12-inch Powerbook. Some Pro's need portability. I, for instance, don't own a car, so a 17-inch is just too big.

Why didn't they make a cheap 13-inch MacBook Air for students and people who consume content instead of create it? The MacBook Air uses the same unibody technique as the MacBook. I don't see why it has to be so expensive.. The Air could also make a great Apple netbook if they used a 10-inch screen. Think how sexy this machine would look. Right now, they're loosing the clear distinction between pro and consumer. I think this is bad. If they had made the MacBook 19 dollars more expensive they would not loose profit when including Firewire and still sell the same amount, right?

Again, the default calibration on these displays jacks the saturation and contrast levels to "eye-bleed". Calibrating makes them a lot less hurtful to view. I think Apple may be doing what the TV industry does and setting the displays to 'torch mode', which looks nice is the store but is not at all accurate. Most people think a properly calibrated display looks 'washed out' if they're used to what it comes set at, but it shortens the lifespan of the product and makes everything look like a Tim Burton movie.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Since the switch to Intel, when was the power in a MacBook or MacBook Pro greater than the competition?

Weight savings would be nice, however even this pro is much lighter than all of the camera equipment I carry with in my bag. The slight weight difference between this laptop, and my old MacBook is hardly noticeable. I actually like the lack of "thickness" as my previous setup made it feel like my MB was being pressed into my back. It is still somewhat true today, however this laptop doesn't flex, so I don't worry about cracking my LCD nearly as much as my previous system.

image.php

Considering that a good telephoto can weigh just as much, if not more, than the MacBook Pro, I don't really mind if it isn't the 'lightest' notebook.

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
The HP is a about .6" thicker, which is a lot (in my book). Doesn't have a 7200RPM drive available, unlike the new MBPs. I'd guess the battery performance isn't quite as good "as advertised", but that's based on very little.

But wait - isn't the screen glossy?
I just had a look at some HP laptops, you can have a 7200rpm drive if you want, you can have 2 different screen resolution with 2 different finishes, you can even configure it with a so that battery is claimed to last 24hrs! There are many PC laptops last longer on a battery than the MBA does, despite their being more functional.
Mac laptops are simply not professional, as to my mind professional products need to be varied/customisable to fit the user/job in hand. Apple now give you no choice, blatantly so as to cut costs whilst still charging a premium for a lackluster product. It's all about the profit. Nothing else matters. One size does not fit all.
I want a 13" laptop with the fastest chips, loads of memory and a high res screen. Yet Apple assume all pros want largish middling res screens, completely forgetting that the primary function of a laptop is its portability, not as a desktop replacement. Size matters and bigger is certainly not better. As a photographer, any extra weight/size when travelling is very bad news. Especially with the stupid weight/size baggage restrictions on planes.

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
I don't know how a Pro can be productive on a notebook compared to a beast like the Mac Pro.
Very, very easily, as on location you don't usually have the option of carting 30kg of computer and 10kg of monitor. So any laptop even the crippled Mac Book Air is more productive than no computer.

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Considering that a good telephoto can weigh just as much, if not more, than the MacBook Pro, I don't really mind if it isn't the 'lightest' notebook.
Actually all the more reason to get a lighter laptop. Especially if using planes with weight limits for onboard luggage. My 'light' kit weighs about 18kg and anything that can reduce weight I have to carry is a good thing.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
What a lot of people fail to realize is that 5.5lbs isn't so light. In that regard, the MBP is completely average these days. That leaves us with thin, since the power is no greater than the competition, either.
It actually got heavier with this revision. :(

Because of the 2 GPUs?

With these new MBP's, they came so close to making a really great machine. The thing seems to be a beast. But that was all for naught once they slapped a glossy only screen to it. I won't buy a machine with a glossy display.

They have the consumer line - the iPhone, iMac, and Macbook, which I think all really work. But to tie the MBP into that space too, I don't understand.
The problem is really twofold. Subpar tech specs (CPU, RAM, etc.) and consumer "other" hardware (display etc.). The combination of those two really knock the MacBook Pro into the consumer/prosumer space. Also, I think the MacBook is a good step up in the consumer area (besides FireWire), especially with the GPU.

In a few months, the current model will be replaced with a model line that will go for a few years at least.

Actually all the more reason to get a lighter laptop.
I think that a MacBook Pro + external HD might be heavier than one thick MacBook Pro with 2 internal HDs.

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
I think that a MacBook Pro + external HD might be lighter than one thick MacBook Pro with 2 internal HDs.
Not necessarily. You could have 2 HDs and no Optical drive.
Plus an external drive is more bulk, more cables, more fuss and no RAID, so more time backing up. So not a good solution.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Not necessarily. You could have 2 HDs and no Optical drive.
Plus an external drive is more bulk, more cables, more fuss and no RAID, so more time backing up. So not a good solution.
Oops. I had them switched around.

Urenstaat

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
Just in think: in the PC world they're limited by a crappy OS but have all the hardware in the world to choose from. In our Apple world we have the most stable, rock solid OS, but we're limited by a very, very poor selection of hardware. Want a 15-inch laptop? There's just one model. Want a 13-inch laptop? We have 3 choices, none of them ideal for the pro. Want a 17-inch laptop? We have one model! It's crazy when you think about it... And the thing is, for a pro the price doesn't even matter. I'd gladly pay 100s of dollars more for something more useful since any purchase is tax deductible.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
... Want a 15-inch laptop? There's just one model. Want a 13-inch laptop? We have 3 choices, none of them ideal for the pro. Want a 17-inch laptop? We have one model! It's crazy when you think about it...

Yes. Crazy. Apple is selling more computers than ever before and yet the user's choice in terms of unique configurations are fewer in number.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

And let's not start talking about desktops, and how there are only three real choices.

I would love to have some of that PC hardware goodness for just a week. I wouldn't mind running OSX on a 19" laptop with SLI and two or three HDDs as a real desktop replacement, then have the Sony TZ as my ultra-portable.

Nothing's wrong with the lineup, but more options or at least BTO options would be extremely welcomed.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
This discussion has come right around to the topic I started in this thread.

It's good to know I'm not alone in this feeling that Apple should offer more on the pro end of things. As I've written elsewhere in these forums, we're getting fewer and fewer options as Apple gets larger. What gives?

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
What I find hilarious is that on Apple's site, they show off all their products with the photoshopped-on glare that turns the black of the display into a medium gray, the prime problem.

Unlike what Phil would like to believe, no matter how bright you make the screen it doesn't help when you're looking at a mostly black image (high contrast B&W anyone?) and end up looking at yourself instead of what's on the screen.

Unless you're working in a cave, glossy displays destroy blacks, which per the spec on the new Cinema display; isn't that good to begin with!

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Just in think: in the PC world they're limited by a crappy OS but have all the hardware in the world to choose from. In our Apple world we have the most stable, rock solid OS, but we're limited by a very, very poor selection of hardware. Want a 15-inch laptop? There's just one model. Want a 13-inch laptop? We have 3 choices, none of them ideal for the pro. Want a 17-inch laptop? We have one model! It's crazy when you think about it... And the thing is, for a pro the price doesn't even matter. I'd gladly pay 100s of dollars more for something more useful since any purchase is tax deductible.

That is the beauty of Windows, you can invest all your money into the software without worrying about the hardware side, other than maybe in the portable arena you can build pretty much anything you want by yourself in no manufacturer offers the right solution, even then you still have multiple options in the portable market and they are trying to one up themselves every month.

Unfortunately on the Mac side of things, you live and die by Apple's rules and that isn't good at times like this. Hopefully Apple does a revision fairly quickly and comes up with some additional models with some of the older setups returning.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I would like to note…*on the ACD page (like the ACD page, not the new display page), Apple has edited everything to feature the "17 inch MacBook Pro and Mac Pro" from what was previously just a "MacBook Pro."

So maybe the 17" will stay as the Pro computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.