Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
So cheer up MeatRocket! It could have been worse - you could have had a crazy effed up transaction like mine with a crazy buyer like I did - it could have been worse.
Do people still win the internet? If so, you do today. The post made me laugh.

The fact that the OP has decided that the seller must hate soldiers because she is protecting her interest in the item is absurd. It is just as annoying as the college student looking to pay next to nothing for something because he/she is a "poor college student" and **** us all if we don't discount whatever we're selling. I was not in the service but I have a tremendous amount of respect for any member of any branch. Not selling something to someone doesn't mean I am not patriotic. It sounds like the OP has a chip on his shoulder and feels way too entitled. It sounds like the seller did the right thing and has now spent way too much time on this matter.

My hope is that the seller isn't really sending threatening PMs to the OP. That would just be silly and unnecessary.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

The fact that the OP has decided that the seller must hate soldiers because she is protecting her interest in the item is absurd. It is just as annoying as the college student looking to pay next to nothing for something because he/she is a "poor college student" and **** us all if we don't discount whatever we're selling. I was not in the service but I have a tremendous amount of respect for any member of any branch. Not selling something to someone doesn't mean I am not patriotic. It sounds like the OP has a chip on his shoulder and feels way too entitled. It sounds like the seller did the right thing and has now spent way too much time on this matter.

My hope is that the seller isn't really sending threatening PMs to the OP. That would just be silly and unnecessary.

That is annoying. I sell things on CL quite often. I have a list price and I always get college kids asking if I can discount it by like 50% because they are in college. I don't care if you are in college. I am not running a charity and don't know you from joe blow from the street over. If you can't afford it, don't reply. Annoying for sure

techn0lady

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
The fact that the OP has decided that the seller must hate soldiers because she is protecting her interest in the item is absurd.

LOL :)
You have to laugh it off or you'll go nuts

What's even worse than a sense of entitlement, imho? People trying to pass themselves off as soldiers when they're not. Faux soldiers. The difference between an actual serviceperson and someone who is a private contractor is that only one of those two is required to put their life on the line as a condition of service and only one of those two gets to take home an excess of $75K salary the first $95K of which is U.S. tax free btw. (OK, the contractor is the better deal , I'm jealous)

SilverOath

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2013
APO AE and APO AP are USA mailing addresses, yes they are overseas, but rest assured they are U.S. mailing addresses.

----------

He said he would have her ship it to the confirmed address in the OP.

Exactly. If it is his verified shipping address and different from the APO, why was the seller getting the APO showing up as his primary shipping address.

tktaylor1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
Am I the only one here who thinks "techn0lady" is the seller of the laptop in the OP and just gave the most witty reply in this thread?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
You think that experience was bad, MeatRocket? That's nothing these days - let me tell you mine :)

So I have this laptop for sale and I sell it on eBay and I specifically exclude in my seller prefs all overseas sales and APO addresses to avoid scams and Nigerian Princes who just inherited a bazillion dollars. Ebay glitches and allows someone with an overseas address to bid and win on my auction (grrrrrr!). I know that the person is overseas because when I go to print the shipping label the address comes up as an APO (which I google and it says Afghanistan) and even worse there is a big red "invalid" label right next to the ebay shipping address on the label page. wtf eBay ??

So the next day I write to the seller (he had not paid me yet) , explain the situation and actually apologize on eBay's behalf and ask if we can mutually cancel the auction (the seller apparently did not realize that APOs do not accept signature delivery so I lose my seller protection on my 1000 laptop). The seller declines my offer cancellation and writes back that "Oh no problem , you're going to ship the laptop to my wife in the states who has a different address and by the way I'll pay you in a couple of days"

Oh...ohhh... overseas address....ship to a different address ... payment delayed and I don't even know what the "invalid" label eBay put up on the attempted shipping address means but I'm pretty sure it's not a good thing. None of this sounds good so I call eBay and explain the situation to them - they agree they messed up (customer service was great btw! - frankly I was surprised) and cancel the auction and refund my seller fees.

Super! Except when I send another polite email to the buyer explaining what just happened and again apologizing for the inconvenience (it was really neither of our faults) the buyer comes back with an increasingly series of hostile emails accusing me of having weird political beliefs and not supporting our troops. Which is very weird because I served 7 years in the U.S. Army medical Corps and it turns out that this crazy buyer isn't even a service person at all but a private I.T. contractor over there working for a big corp He makes like 100K a year for his "service" - I made 406 a month for mine (free food though!) Oh - and he leaves me bad feedback and ebay mails me to "enjoy my tarnished reputation".

So I call eBay again and get the bad feedback removed and after wasting a couple hours of my time on something that should have taken 10 minutes had the buyer been reasonable it's all over (except that the buyer sent me an eBay email promising to blog his experience all over the internet :( )

So cheer up MeatRocket! It could have been worse - you could have had a crazy effed up transaction like mine with a crazy messed up buyer like I did - it could have been a whole lot worse.

See OP, that just reeks of Nigerian scammer. I assume you're a legit guy and are not out to scam teechn0lady, but the whole "ship to my wife in another country and I'll pay later" is exactly the sort of crap scammers pull. And since eBay and PayPal are known to side with the buyer on disputes, even with overwhelming evidence showing the seller did everything right, I can understand her reluctance to not continue with the transaction.

Am I the only one here who thinks "techn0lady" is the seller of the laptop in the OP and just gave the most witty reply in this thread?

She is the seller of the laptop....

techn0lady

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
She is the seller of the laptop....

I wouldn't jump to conclusions :) I can tell you for an ironclad fact that he guy who tried to purchase it wasn't named MeatRocket.

I think we just have two reasonable people telling their bad experiences on eBay. I just hope that my weird fake-soldier buyer isn't foolish enough to go post the thing on some forum looking for sympathy because I don't think that's going to end well for him but c'est la vie.

And now some guy with a feedback of 0 just bought my laptop (facepalm). Paypal is asking me to wait a day prior to shipping until they verify him ('ya think?? ) . I Googled his info and initially he seems legit but you never know - probably just a new eBayer looking for a deal hopefully. Once paypal gives me the approval I'm covered so no probs there. I sent him an email telling him about the paypal delay and that I'd have to wait an extra day prior to shipping per Paypal.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
That is annoying. I sell things on CL quite often. I have a list price and I always get college kids asking if I can discount it by like 50% because they are in college. I don't care if you are in college. I am not running a charity and don't know you from joe blow from the street over. If you can't afford it, don't reply. Annoying for sure

Ha! Try grown working adults! We have a neighborhood Facebook page. Frequently, someone will put something like "I just bought a new 55" TV, so I'm selling my old 42" HD LED TV. It's only 2 years old. Bought for $1500, selling for $250". And bar none, every time, the same girl responds "Will you take $25?" or something extremely low-ball like that. And then she seems offended when people don't accept her offer.

Better is when she posts "I'm looking for someone to install crown molding", and people will list off contractors or friends they have used, and she responds "Oh, I don't want to pay in money. I will give you some beer though."

Ugh.

MeatRocket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
In the Sandbox
...(the seller apparently did not realize that APOs do not accept signature delivery so I lose my seller protection on my 1000 laptop)...

...and it turns out that this crazy buyer isn't even a service person at all but a private I.T. contractor over there working for a big corp He makes like 100K a year for his "service" ...

So cheer up MeatRocket! It could have been worse - you could have had a crazy effed up transaction like mine with a crazy messed up buyer like I did - it could have been a whole lot worse.

Wow...You're right, my story ain't got ***** on yours! That must've unnerved you. But if he gave you some BS address in Afghanistan, as you say, then how were you able to look up his information & determine that he was a contractor working for some IT corp? I mean, without having an address in the states, how did you know it was him? You wouldn't have a PayPal confirmed shipping address until he paid you right? So if he hadn't paid you, how did you know what address to look up? Perhaps you had the wrong information? I need to check my knowledge of Ebay now, perhaps addresses don't show up right or something. That's given me something to look into since I wouldn't want this situation to occur again.

That would be quite silly and unnecessary, and in direct violation of the rules of this site. If I remember correctly, threatening other forum members is a ban-able offense. Since I haven't named the seller in any posts, it would seem quite counter-productive to expose themselves as a person who sends threats and such and risks their ability to post. I'm sure Techn0Lady is not that type of person.

----------

And now some guy with a feedback of 0 just bought my laptop (facepalm). Paypal is asking me to wait a day prior to shipping until they verify him ('ya think?? )

Ouch! Maybe your original buyer wasn't such a bad deal after all! It sucks to get screwed over like this. I think there actually is a setting in Ebay that you can set that won't allow someone with a feedback score of less than X bid on your auction. Might be something to look into.

techn0lady

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
But if he gave you some BS address in Afghanistan, as you say, then how were you able to look up his information & determine that he was a contractor working for some IT corp? .

Ebay provides a shipping address when you ask to print a label and that shipping address contains a full name, address and phone number. The buyer didn't list a phone number and I prohibit sales without one (ebay prefs)- but as I said earlier (and explained to the crazy buyer) eBay glitched - and they admitted that to me when they cancelled the auction and refunded my fees. It happens.

Not only did the entitled prick have an out of country shipping address, I actually took a screen shot of it. As for finding out that he was a contractor - I simply used very basic Google-foo and found his facebook page as well as host of other pages - so in 10 minutes I was able to research the buyer and find that he worked as an I.T. person for a big multinational.

I mean, without having an address in the states, how did you know it was him? .

The buyer told me what state his home was in - from that point on it's a simple matter to google up the buyer's name and state. The buyer makes a big thing about working in Afghanistan all over the net. He tries to pretend he is "one of the troops" but he's just a faker. I'm glad the buyer isn't listening in so he can change his info and scam someone else :(

Ouch! Maybe your original buyer wasn't such a bad deal after all! It sucks to get screwed over like this. .

Not at all. You see if the paypal confirmation comes back verified then I have full seller protection. If I ship to a different address or to somewhere w/o signature confirmation, like an APO, then I do not. And iof course this buyer paid me right away and didn't try to delay for several days.

I think there actually is a setting in Ebay that you can set that won't allow someone with a feedback score of less than X bid on your auction. Might be something to look into.

You should look into it - it only allows you to deny people with -1 feedback and lower. But I'm just glad it's all over - the hysterical emails that I got from the buyer proved to me that I made the right decision. An the political whineyness was over the top. Implied he was a soldier - lied. Never paid me after the auction - wanted a 2 day extension. Wanted me to ship to an alternate address. All the above makes me glad I didn't sell to the whiny schmuck.

jay47

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2012
I set up my ebay account to block any non us bids since i dont ship outside the us .

Imagine my surprise when some soldier stationed oversees buys my apple tv .

Sure the zip code is a US zip code but when i searched online found its a base in the UK .

Had to fill out a customs declaration so i declared double value . US paypal address my ass .

techn0lady

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
I set up my ebay account to block any non us bids since i dont ship outside the us .

Sure the zip code is a US zip code but when i searched online found its a base in the UK .

Had to fill out a customs declaration so i declared double value . US paypal address my ass .

In the seller preferences you can now block APO addresses - but there are people who will always try to get around it :(

APOs don't allow signature delivery so you lose out on seller protection - and is some foreign customs agent decides he'd like a new laptop you're pretty much S.O.L. It's why I block APOs and other country buyers as well.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals

Did you set it up to block APO's ? I check off everything in the exclusion list. Plus I make it very clear in big bold red text that I will not ship outside the CON USA under any circumstances Luckily I haven't had any problems in the 10 years I've been an ebay member..

pjashley1

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2007
I sell a lot of Apple stuff on eBay. I always put in big red letters on my auction "There is NO buy-it-now price - please don't ask"

And without fail, every time, 2-3 people will send me an eBay message asking me what the buy-it-now price is, or if I'll take a stupidly-low amount for it. I don't even bother responding to those sort of questions any more, if they can't read the auction text I don't have much faith for them completing the transaction.

Another pet hate - people winning the item, then asking where they can come to have a look at it. No I don't want a stranger at my house, coming to unpack and test the item then asking for a discount. I'm not a store!

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I once cancelled a transaction where a buyer wanted me to use a "freight forwarding" service. It's a company that receives freight at a US address and reships overseas. I wasn't sure about this either.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That would be quite silly and unnecessary, and in direct violation of the rules of this site. If I remember correctly, threatening other forum members is a ban-able offense. Since I haven't named the seller in any posts, it would seem quite counter-productive to expose themselves as a person who sends threats and such and risks their ability to post. I'm sure Techn0Lady is not that type of person.
Whoa. Are you the same MeatRocket that wrote the following just a few posts prior?
So now the seller is sending me private messages on MacRumors threatening me with retaliation for the negative feedback left. It may not be the worst Ebay experience ever, but it's getting worse.

I think you are. There is something wrong with this entire picture and even more so when you claim something is happening then remark on how silly and unnecessary it would be. Unless you truly received PMs that made threats and just completely forgot less than 12 hours later. Someone didn't sell you a laptop. It is not the worst experience you'll ever have on or off eBay. The entire thread is pointless and does nothing. You're not warning about a scam, you gave no info on the seller so people can avoid her (although I cannot see why anyone would need to), and you're not exactly telling us anything new. People do not want to ship **** out of the country every day. Shipping from the US to anywhere else overseas can be quite costly.

My advice, techn0lady needs to pull the item from eBay and sell locally or not at all. One questionable (in her mind) transaction is one thing but having to deal with a zero feedback bidder is another. It is not worth the hassle in my mind. And MeatRocket, you just need to enjoy the laptop that you did buy and understand that a person's decision not to sell you something has nothing to do with your status as a soldier or contractor or whatever you are.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Did you set it up to block APO's ? I check off everything in the exclusion list. Plus I make it very clear in big bold red text that I will not ship outside the CON USA under any circumstances Luckily I haven't had any problems in the 10 years I've been an ebay member..

Ye you need to be extremely clear to cover yourself. Youll always meet overly aggressive buyers as demonstrated here but at least you have something to fall back on when you dealing with ebay for complaints.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010

No you're not. Why don't other people realize this or that tech just made her story up from the facts in the op and left a "think how the other guy felt" post? Wtf?

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
It's a company that receives freight at a US address and reships overseas. I wasn't sure about this either.

Those can actually be OK. If the forwarders address is listed on the buyer's PayPal account, it's OK to send there. The thing is, the buyer actually loses eBay protection once it leaves the forwarding company, so they can't file any sort of item not received claim, as long as the tracking number you provided shows it was delivered to the address on the PayPal account.

MeatRocket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
In the Sandbox
Ebay provides a shipping address when you ask to print a label and that shipping address contains a full name, address and phone number. The buyer didn't list a phone number and I prohibit sales without one (ebay prefs)- but as I said earlier (and explained to the crazy buyer) eBay glitched - and they admitted that to me when they cancelled the auction and refunded my fees. It happens..

Dang, so Ebay let a buyer bid on your auction who didn't have a US address or have a phone number listed? Both of which you say you prohibited in your auction? :eek: That seems rather odd, maybe I need to stop using Ebay altogether. I mean with so many "glitches" and all, I'm surprised they haven't tried to hire you to test their site more thoroughly. You're obviously good at finding snafu's that thousands of other E-bayer's don't seem to experience. I guess the name "techn0lady" suits you well, no faults on a site seem to get past you.

Not only did the entitled prick have an out of country shipping address, I actually took a screen shot of it. As for finding out that he was a contractor - I simply used very basic Google-foo and found his facebook page as well as host of other pages - so in 10 minutes I was able to research the buyer and find that he worked as an I.T. person for a big multinational.

The buyer told me what state his home was in - from that point on it's a simple matter to google up the buyer's name and state. The buyer makes a big thing about working in Afghanistan all over the net. He tries to pretend he is "one of the troops" but he's just a faker. I'm glad the buyer isn't listening in so he can change his info and scam someone else :( ..

That's pretty standard fare I guess. Good checking up on your part. I'd think that if he was a soldier, or sailor or whatnot, that it surely would've shown up somewhere - I mean Google does have all the answers. If the buyer told you what state he lived in, he probably had some confidence in your integrity not to harass him with the information, which I'm certain you wouldn't do. Did you know that you can also, under Ebay/PayPal selling guidelines, enforce that you ONLY send to the PayPal confirmed shipping address? That way the buyer has no choice in where you send the item to, it goes only to their confirmed address. I'm sure you had that selected though, you seem to have had everything else right. Maybe Ebay "glitched" on that one also. I'm sure they'd appreciate you bringing it to their attention like the afformentioned ones you discovered. You seem to have to be doing a lot of apologizing on their behalf as well. I bet their PR department really appreciates all the help.

I know my seller sent me a message I'll cut and paste here - "As long as the paypal verified address is the same on e that I am shipping to I am ok with that." - Then the seller came back with another message, showing concern - " I am a bit concerned as your ebay addrress is in afghanistan. Is your Paypal verified address in the states?" Completely understandable, which is why I assured the seller that the PayPal confirmed US shippping address was indeed the one they'd be shipping to. That would ensure that they're 100% covered by Ebay/PayPal seller protection. Ebay/PayPal offers no more protection than that. What more assurance could they ask for?

Unfortunately, my seller blocked my ability to pay, so when I tried to pay via PayPal to my confirmed address, I got an error saying the transaction couldn't be completed. That set off in my head that there was more going on than just a nervous seller, although, to be fair, maybe they were so inexperienced in selling items on Ebay that they quickly discovered that they had messed the auction up completely from the start., or maybe they were having some of the same glitches you experienced. If it starts looking like a pattern, maybe you guys can discuss it in the Ebay support forums.

..Implied he was a soldier - lied. Never paid me after the auction - wanted a 2 day extension. Wanted me to ship to an alternate address. All the above makes me glad I didn't sell to the whiny schmuck.

..The difference between an actual serviceperson and someone who is a private contractor is that only one of those two is required to put their life on the line as a condition of service and only one of those two gets to take home an excess of $75K salary the first $95K of which is U.S. tax free btw. (OK, the contractor is the better deal , I'm jealous)

Maybe the guy had been in the military & is now retired or could even be a reservist. Who knows? :confused: About 4 out of every 5 contractors here are prior military. That guy could've been more clear, I'm sure, although I'm sure you know those details really have no bearing on Ebay or PayPal seller/buyer protection. Regardless, I'd think any person in a warzone; soldier, sailor, former soldier retired, contractor, whatever, would have the same regard from you. I mean, you wouldn't be the type of person to devalue another person's life just because they're "merely a contractor" , as you put it, would you?
I know we get incoming fire at least 2-3 times a week. The last time I checked, insurgent fire didn't discriminate between soldiers & others. And I'm sure you've seen the videos of the captured contractors who have been beheaded by insurgents on video. I don't think the animals that did it really cared if the person was a soldier or civilian. If you're right and he wasn't a active duty soldier, but maybe a retiree or reservist who returned as a contractor working for a multi-national IT corp - then the $100K you estimate he makes would more likely be what he makes in the States. I assume that a guy with that much experience combined with all the uplifts for hardship & hazard pay was probably bringing down closer to $275K or so, just guessing. Regardless of the pay, they still have to wear body armor & kevlar just like the soldiers because they're at risk too. That's why they get all those uplifts. Those contractors really make bank over here, I'd be jealous too. Ultimately, soldier or civilian, it comes down to what they agreed to in the contract.
Maybe he was just a frugal spender and saw no need to buy a brand new laptop when yours would certainly meet his needs for 2/3 the price of a new one. Hard to tell about people.

And I dont blame you one bit, I wouldn't wait several days for payment either. That's why I notified my seller that I'd pay within 24 hours of the auction close, as soon as I finished my 12hr shift (those 12hr days, 7 days a week get pretty rough) - which was within the seller's payment terms. Communication in the auction format is essential! Given that I communicated immediately and frequently, gave the seller a PayPal confirmed address, and combined with a feedback of 194, I seem to think all that adds up to a pretty good overall level of security to the seller. I know I met all guidelines so the seller was protected by Ebay/PayPal in the transaction. Having sold multiple high-dollar items on Ebay myself, I know how important that seller protection can be.

Did you know that there's also an option for your auction that says "immediate payment required"? It may be only for buy-it-now auctions I can't remember off the top of my head.

..You should look into it - it only allows you to deny people with -1 feedback and lower. ...
That's informative, I thought it was 0. Thanks for the info correction there!

All the above makes me glad I didn't sell to the whiny schmuck.

Sounds like you both may have had valid points and tempers flared. It can happen when terms & conditions aren't properly stated (all those Ebay glitches, you know). Well at least you didn't have to deal with a sociopath who told you not to contact them anymore on Ebay just to have them come here & send you threats in a PM. That's most unpleasant.

Mine sent me a message saying - "I shall not only report your conduct but inform them of your ebay activities which, from the burst volume of it, seems to indicate that you are blackmarketing various items."

I don't know about your buyer, but my seller has no idea of the what things are like here. The only "black market" (grey market, actually) is run by the indigenous population. That's why we can buy a set of knock-off "Beats" headphones for $60 here instead of the $249 they charge at the PX. The US actually hosts these vendors on the base for all the ISAF personnel to buy from. I guess the leadership turns a blind eye to the illegality of it because any economy is better than no economy and people with money coming in are less likely to be rebellious. The seller's grandiose imagination of some underground black market are far from the realities on the ground.
As for the "burst of volume" I had - the only purchases I had in the last 31 days before this terrible fiasco was an Apple Time Capsule I had purchased 2 days prior. I don't think that's unreasonable since I'm making the switch from PC to Mac. Regardless, my purchasing habits are really no one else's concern & I shouldn't have to explain them as a condition to complete an auction.

Whoa. Are you the same MeatRocket that wrote the following just a few posts prior?

I think you are. There is something wrong with this entire picture and even more so when you claim something is happening then remark on how silly and unnecessary it would be.

You don't think that maybe I said that as a subtle hint to the harassing person just in case, on the off chance, they may be reading the thread? You know, a hint that it would be, as you said "silly and unnecessary" to continue harassing me? Contrary to your belief, every statement written here isn't entirely for the benefit of all readers in general, but maybe directed towards one person in particular, if they happen to be reading this thread.

My advice, techn0lady needs to pull the item from eBay and sell locally or not at all. One questionable (in her mind) transaction is one thing but having to deal with a zero feedback bidder is another. It is not worth the hassle in my mind. And MeatRocket, you just need to enjoy the laptop that you did buy and understand that a person's decision not to sell you something has nothing to do with your status as a soldier or contractor or whatever you are.

That sounds like pretty good advice. Given all the "glitches" and such, I'm surprised tecn0lady sells on Ebay at all. I know my faith in online auctions is shaken from the revelation of all these problems. And I certainly would be hesitant to sell to someone with 0 feedback. I won't buy or sell to someone with low feedback.
As for me, you're absolutely right. I'll enjoy the one I did get and move on. If I dwelled on every douchebag I ran into, it would be a maddening life indeed and the drama just isn't worth it. Sound advice indeed. :)

Last edited:

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Those can actually be OK. If the forwarders address is listed on the buyer's PayPal account, it's OK to send there. The thing is, the buyer actually loses eBay protection once it leaves the forwarding company, so they can't file any sort of item not received claim, as long as the tracking number you provided shows it was delivered to the address on the PayPal account.

Thanks for the info. My buyer did not have the forwarders address on his Paypal account, as I recall. What is the point of this service, anyway?

MeatRocket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
In the Sandbox
Thanks for the info. My buyer did not have the forwarders address on his Paypal account, as I recall. What is the point of this service, anyway?

These services provide a way for US sellers to send to buyers in the military while delivering their goods to a US address. This ensures that the sellers are protected by delivery insurance & have signature confirmation with carriers such as USPS, UPS, FedEx etc. Apple actually sends to a forwarder and recommends the one I use, APO Box.

http://store.apple.com/us/open/shipping_apo

The forwarder then relabels the package with the service member's APO/FPO address & sends it on its way. This can get rather expensive for service members because they have to pay for shipping, handling, and insurance twice. Although I use Amazon Prime for many purchases, my most recent purchase of a Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter was sold by Apple & therefore had to be sent via APO Box. The shipping to APO Box was free, but the handling, shipping & insurance from there was an additional $16. Obviously it can get rather expensive but there aren't many alternatives as you can't just walk to an Apple Store here and get one.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
All I will say is this.

In my dealings with the US Armed Forces (and I worked as a DoD contractor at Nellis and Wright-Patterson AFBs, and lived next to or near at least 6 AFBs: Nellis, Offutt, Tinker, Beale, Mather, and Travis), not a single US Soldier has ever used their rank or service in the military as a crutch or point in anything they do outside of the military. Not ever.

That shows not only a complete lack of integrity and character, but is a slap in the face to all who serve and give their lives. For the OP to use this as a means to complain about someone when what they wanted didn't work out, is very petty and tacky. That alone gives me doubts that they were ever in the military to begin with.

As far as the eBay deal, I've been through a lot worse, to where I ended up buying a CPU from a seller who had 100% feedback, to him not only keeping my money, but found out that all of the things he was selling he had taken from his job. As a favour to me, the company he worked for refunded the money to me directly, saving me from having to go through my credit card company to get it, and the company ended up firing the guy, who was subsequently arrested for grand theft, after they found out how much he had stolen and sold.

That entire ordeal took me 9 months to resolve.

The OP started to gain my sympathies for a little bit.. which the liberal/military crack ended that. Be lucky that this is a personal transaction; if you were military, and your CO found out about what you had said, I'd expect a little dressing down.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.