Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Ah; I see. I called Ebay at the time and they had no idea. This is the first explanation I've gotten.

These services provide a way for US sellers to send to buyers in the military while delivering their goods to a US address. This ensures that the sellers are protected by delivery insurance & have signature confirmation with carriers such as USPS, UPS, FedEx etc. Apple actually sends to a forwarder and recommends the one I use, APO Box.

http://store.apple.com/us/open/shipping_apo

The forwarder then relabels the package with the service member's APO/FPO address & sends it on its way. This can get rather expensive for service members because they have to pay for shipping, handling, and insurance twice. Although I use Amazon Prime for many purchases, my most recent purchase of a Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter was sold by Apple & therefore had to be sent via APO Box. The shipping to APO Box was free, but the handling, shipping & insurance from there was an additional $16. Obviously it can get rather expensive but there aren't many alternatives as you can't just walk to an Apple Store here and get one.

techn0lady

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
My advice, techn0lady needs to pull the item from eBay and sell locally or not at all..

I am SO with you on that note. eBay has become SO frustrating these past few years - so unfriendly to buyer and seller. Remember this whole problem started because eBay's glitched that day (and compounded by an obnoxious buyer :( ) but essentially it was eBay's fault to begin with.

I put the item on Craig's and frankly on Amazon as well but my local area is rather depressed and apparently no one is buying and Amazon yielded not a single hit - so eBay is the only game in town for me.

I've been in communication with the zero-feedback buyer. He's been a member since '11 but never purchased or sold and he's been in communication with me. I have his phone number and address and they check out as a residence. If Paypal verifies him then supposedly I get full seller protection - and I always take the steps of photographing the machine, its serial number on the working screen and it being in the packing box prior to shipping a high value item. Also I'm going to send it fedex signature required and insured. I feel pretty secure with all that but feel free to tell me how this can blow up in my face and I assure you that I will consider it. I intend to ship it out tomorrow or Monday ( assuming the paypal verification and seller protection come through).

----------

----------

Ah; I see. I called Ebay at the time and they had no idea. This is the first explanation I've gotten.

Be aware that you can not get a signature delivery on APO addresses and both paypal and ebay require signature delivery for items over , i think it is , $250, in order to be eligible for seller protection. So - FYI.

MeatRocket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
In the Sandbox
If Paypal verifies him then supposedly I get full seller protection - and I always take the steps of photographing the machine, its serial number on the working screen and it being in the packing box prior to shipping a high value item. Also I'm going to send it fedex signature required and insured. I feel pretty secure with all that but feel free to tell me how this can blow up in my face and I assure you that I will consider it. I intend to ship it out tomorrow or Monday ( assuming the paypal verification and seller protection come through).

Sounds like you'll have full seller protection and you've taken all the necessary steps. Signature required and insured are the big ones for me. On little items it's insignificant, but a high-dollar item definitely warrants the added protection. As long as PayPal says you're good, you're good. The only caveat is if the buyer gets it then says it's not as described, etc and wants to send it back. Then you'll have your deposit from PayPal reversed and for a short time will be without the $$ and the laptop until the buyer gets it back to you.

----------

Be aware that you can not get a signature delivery on APO addresses and both paypal and ebay require signature delivery for items over , i think it is , $250, in order to be eligible for seller protection. So - FYI.

This is true, that's why the APO Box forwarders exist. They sign for the package at the US address, satisfying all requirements for insurance & delivery confirmation. Then they assume all risk from the States to the theatre of operations, that's why the insurance costs so much.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
APO AE and APO AP are USA mailing addresses, yes they are overseas, but rest assured they are U.S. mailing addresses.

As a seller, I wouldn't care. The question is: Where in the world is the buyer? If something goes wrong taking someone in your own country to court is bad enough, but what if you are in New York and the buyer is in the military in Afghanistan?

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA

OH; that's another story. There is no way I would allow that transaction then. The item was well over $1000

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I started to feel for the OP until the little crack about liberals and the military. Now I don't.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
LOL, nice read, this thread.

Reminds me of why I'm not buying or selling anything on eBay anymore for more than $50.

-t

moumou

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2012
That's pretty horrible. I once met a mail clerk that refused to believe that APO and FPO were actual things. It's shocking how ignorant people are.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.