Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would you rather have in the next MacBook Pro?

• Thinner device - because device size is really important to me

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • Thicker device - if that means more battery, cooler temp, quiter fan

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Same Thickenss - current MBP size is great, just give me the new specs

Votes: 43 51.2%

• Total voters

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Personally, I'm getting upset with Apple desperately trying to make their devices thinner and lacking improvement on function.

I'd rather see the new MBP have the same thickness as the 2012 model is that meant a better battery, quieter fan, and overall cooler temperature.

Do you think the trade off is worth it just for the thickness of the device?

What would you like to see as far as thickness vs specs are concerned?

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
I’d like it to be thicker so you can put a hard drive inside. That way you can have an internal 2 TB hard drive instead of having to plug one in.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The rMBP is incredibly next gen when you compare it to the older models — aesthetically, at least. I'm still rocking a 2012 15" cMBP, but boy do I have Retina envy, and I'm speechless how thin & light the newer devices are.

They're thin and light enough now; they really are. Throw in some gorgeous dGPUs, larger storage sizes, screaming CPUs, and we've got ourselves a new MacBook Pro. As far as I'm concerned, at least.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Actually, I don't care.

I just want to see a new one!

There should be a fourth selection for I don't give a sh*t - I want my MBP - (sung to the tune of Money for Nothing) :cool:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Either way doesn't matter to me. I'm perfectly happy with the 2015 13" rMBP I picked up last year.

If I were in the market right now, current thickness seems fine to me. If I wanted ultra thin and light, I'd be looking at the rMB or MBA.

huckg

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2016
Thinner if it's denser and stiffer but not at the expense of cooling. It's a bit flexy now with my 15", not much but it's there.

I do love the general form factor however, without any taper back to front, and I'm glad they're keeping.

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Don't care about thin-ness unless usefulness is also achieved.
It's time for a quad-core 13" IMO, but I expect the goal of 'thin' will beat out everything else.
I'd be fine with thicker if it meant devising a competent enough cooling system/heat pipes/... to do a 13" quad core...

I'm likely in for a 15" MBP, but I seriously hope we don't go through another round of 'it's running HOT and burning my lap!' due to chasing thin-ness over reliability and performance.

Reactions: jblagden

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
Personally, I'm getting upset with Apple desperately trying to make their devices thinner and lacking improvement on function.

I'd rather see the new MBP have the same thickness as the 2012 model is that meant a better battery, quieter fan, and overall cooler temperature.

Do you think the trade off is worth it just for the thickness of the device?

What would you like to see as far as thickness vs specs are concerned?

They won't make it thinner because the Macbook air and Macbook is their notbook computer.

A Macbook pro is laptop not a notebook.

Any thinner it would be notebook not a laptop and will eat up the sales of the Macbook air and Macbook.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
They call it a "notebook" 3 times on the main MacBook Pro page.

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

Notebooks are normally screen below 13'' and have no hard-drive but SSD.

Notebooks are for office task, e-mail and internet not gaming or video editing.

RAM normally below 4GB and SSD in 100GB to 400GB range.

Most of them normally Celeron or Pentium CPU not i5 or i7. And onboard video.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Notebooks are normally screen below 13'' and have no hard-drive but SSD.

Notebooks are for office task, e-mail and internet not gaming or video editing.

RAM normally below 4GB and SSD in 100GB to 400GB range.

Most of them normally Celeron or Pentium CPU not i5 or i7. And onboard video.

I'm pretty sure you're describing a "netbook" not a notebook.

Either way, Apple calls all of their laptops "notebooks." Your definition doesn't change that.

Rkuda

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
Thinner. Because its a moot point to want a thicker one as the new MBP will be thinner. Simple as that.

Branflaakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2016
Slightly thinner with smaller bezels would be perfect for me personally. Let's face it, though, the next Macbook Pro is going to almost certainly be slightly thinner than the current one.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The MBP offers basically highest in-class performance components (within reasonable thermal envelope, obviously talking about release time). If they can maintain that while going thinner, then yes please. Reduction in weight is also a feature, and a very important one. Some of us arare using the laptop for work and not just as a fancy paperweight ;)

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Apple values thinness above all else. Just look at every product they design. They design primarily for it, not as a happens-to-be consequence of components getting smaller. They always always prioritize thinness over battery life. Always have, always will.

Certainly the macbook 12 is as thin as this thin-craze gets, right? It's ridiculous to need anything thinner!

I just want a lighter macbook pro. I don't care what it looks like and I'm fine with plastic. At least it doesn't dent.

PKBeam

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2015
NSW, Australia
I can't think of any instance recently where Apple redesigned their hardware to make it thinner but weaker (pre retina MBP -> rMBP, iPhone 4 -> 5 -> 6, iPad 4 -> Air -> Air 2). So I don't really understand peoples' worries that the 2016 MBP will drop performance/battery over the 2015 one.

Since a thinner MBP + better specs is a direct upgrade in contrast to a same size/thicker MBP and even better specs, I'd want a thinner one since there's really nothing wrong with the current specs.

And from the leaked chassis photos, it looks like Apple's only going to take off a millimetre or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: leman

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Have a 2011 model, something that doesn't feel like resting your hands on a razorblade.

Rkuda

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
Apple values thinness above all else. Just look at every product they design. They design primarily for it, not as a happens-to-be consequence of components getting smaller. They always always prioritize thinness over battery life. Always have, always will.

I think battery life is obviously one of their major concerns, and it is very carefully balanced with thinness.

It's just that their design goals are basically 1 days worth of battery for mobile devices, and ˜10 hours for their laptops. Those numbers have remained fairly constant, or even improved over time.

I could easily see the computing industry being complacent without a company like Apple driving them to have ever smaller and more efficient chips. Then we'd all have devices twice as thick but with hardly more battery life than we do now.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
There is this MIT made battery that has twice the density as current lithium batteries. It was recently announced, and they said it's ready for commercial production immediately or within a year. So, if it is the next great hope for batteries, then we'll definitely get lighter and thinner macbooks 4 years from now :>. Windows users will get them next year. No worries, though, Apple will not increase the battery life. They'll just see thinness opportunities.

Reactions: wegster

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Have a 2011 model, something that doesn't feel like resting your hands on a razorblade.

Are you taking about the front edge of the case where your wrists rest if you're typing improperly?

Having owned a mid 2009 13" MBP and a early 2015 13" rMBP, and also having used several mid 2012 13" MBPs, I can say that I can't notice a difference in the "sharpness" of the edge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.