Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
Does anyone know if the iPads Magic Keyboard (11“/12,9“) also has this type of trackpad? I just now tested the Logitech Combo Touch trackpad and it has nice travel and normal click to it, just as I like it.

NightfallOrchid

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2019
Does anyone know if the iPads Magic Keyboard (11“/12,9“) also has this type of trackpad? I just now tested the Logitech Combo Touch trackpad and it has nice travel and normal click to it, just as I like it.
I don’t know if the current generation is different or not, but I have a 2020 Magic Keyboard, and while the trackpad doesn’t have a lot of travel, it physically moves and clicks without haptic feedback

Reactions: HackMacDaddy

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I'm loving my M2 MacBook Air, using for work everyday. I'm sure me and especially Apple engineers will sleep anyway.

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2022
Oh and Apple needs to bring back the illuminated Logo 😉
I disagree with most of your points. I think that the M2 Air is by far superior in almost every way, but I do agree with this point. The illluminated logo is what made a MacBook a MacBook!

That alone is what sold a lot of Macs back in the day. A marketing hype for sure, but I gladly showed off whenever I used one of the OGs!

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
This is not so much a review of the M2 Air, but of any modern Mac laptop, from the perspective of how it compares to a 10+ year-old Mac.

I did love that 11" Air, and I had two or three of them over the years. I initially tried to replace it with the 12" Retina MacBook, but since it didn't have a usable keyboard I had to hang onto it a few more years than I'd have liked. It had a great little keyboard and performed admirably as a writing machine. But that screen is very very rough to look at in this day and age, and it got worse when Apple did away with subpixel rendering.

I do hope Apple revisits the ultralight form factor, but until they do I'm finding the currrent M1 Air a very worthy successor.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
They don't build 'em like they used to.

I don't think your plan to stick with the 11" MBA is sustainable. At some point you will need a new machine and Apple's solution for a small laptop is that you use an iPad with a keyboard. Until Tim is gone, they won't be making another small laptop. Their current strategy is to introduce useless tech like OLED in laptops, when 99% would be perfectly happy with LCD.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Their current strategy is to introduce useless tech like OLED in laptops, when 99% would be perfectly happy with LCD.

Just like 99% are fine with the current selection of laptops? The ultra-light, ultra-small laptop segment is as much of a niche as a budget-minded, standards-based, expandable tower. And we're not getting one of those from Apple ever again either.

Such is the suffering of being an Apple user: Their focus on a handful of product segments, and only a handful of options within those segments, I'm sure makes the design, manufacturing, and sales process easier for Apple, and makes the lives of most consumers unfamiliar with the details of technology and/or design trying to buy a computer easier. But as soon as your needs deviate from the top of the bell curve, it becomes challenging to find a solution within the Apple universe that doesn't involve significant compromise. That's not our fault, for wanting niche options, or Apple's fault, for not wanting to produce niche options. There is never a perfect single solution.

It's yet another reason to not marry yourself to any one platform. I love my Macs for what they are, and use them to their fullest extent. And I also own other devices, based on other platforms made by other manufacturers, to use in the ways that Apple is unable or unwilling to address. That's the real way to always get what you want.

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
Hey guys,

I just wanted to share my experience with the 2022 M2 Macbook Air coming from the 2013 MacBook Air 11,6“. I wanted to try one of these and compare it against the 11 incher. This is going to be very subjective and I‘m very picky but anyone upgrading from one of these might be interested.

Observations:
The difference in weight and especially size (duuh) is very noticable.
View attachment 2293752 View attachment 2293753 View attachment 2293755 View attachment 2293756

2. My palms prefer the wedge design.
View attachment 2293757 View attachment 2293758

3. Speakers on the new one have way more bass but totally lack the mids.

4. The keys on the new keyboard have a little less travel. Small difference but I prefer the old keyboard.

5. I hate that it auto boots when I open it (wtf?) and I can‘t turn it off.

6. I don‘t like the new layout of System preferences in Sonoma.

7. Display, webcam, battery life and raw computepower are way better on the new one. I‘m using mine for office and media consumption tasks, but also record vocals in Logic. I don‘t need 8K video editing power.

8. Notch bothers me more than it did on the iPhone. Why isn’t it aligned with the taskbar? Just shy of a couple of pixels. And the mousepointer and icons going behind the notch irritates me. You could literally "lose" a file on your desktop behind the notch. Why Apple?
View attachment 2293759 View attachment 2293773

9. I would have preferred keys for adjusting the keyboardbrightness instead of Spotlight and Focus.

10. The rubber feet on the new one are more slippery compared to the old ones. So one handed opening has it sliding away. This might change with time and depends on the tables surface.

11. The biggest gripe by far I have with it is the touchpad! It doesn‘t have any travel which irritates me so much it has me cringing when clicking. Feels like it‘s stuck or like it was "heavy" or something heavy pulling on it so you can't click it. Is this normal?? This alone makes me want to return it.

Additional points:
One USB-A port would have been a life saver when you‘re in other environments. USB-A is still everywhere.

I recently upgraded the SSD in the old one. Not having that option in the new ones is bad when you give it some thought. This has been discussed to death on this forum, but it‘s just the truth.

View attachment 2293762

A couple of years back I tested the 12“ Macbook. Keyboard was really bad, one port only was really bad, weight and display were great!

Conclusion: 13,6“ is not for me. I‘ll be waiting for a new smaller Macbook and keep enjoying my fully functioning 11,6“.
1, Size/weight is trumped by a bigger screen, for me.
2, Agree. Wedge design is infinitely better- more comfy on the wrists, easier to pick up, and looks a bit better also.
3, Speakers seem better now, to me.
4, More travel = better.
5 & 6, Don't care.
7 & 8, Agree
9, 100% agree. Who uses these pointless new buttons?!?
10, Agree.
11, Modern trackpad is miles better.

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
They don't build 'em like they used to.

I don't think your plan to stick with the 11" MBA is sustainable. At some point you will need a new machine and Apple's solution for a small laptop is that you use an iPad with a keyboard. Until Tim is gone, they won't be making another small laptop. Their current strategy is to introduce useless tech like OLED in laptops, when 99% would be perfectly happy with LCD.
I know, I would love to replace it with a modern machine, hence the test buy of the new Air. I‘m willing to hold on to it till it breaks or bevomes unusable.

The iPad Pro is still a toy in my eyes. I can’t use it in my case. Also I checked out the Magic Keyboard right now and I‘m shocked to see it doesn‘t have an escape key and a function keys row. Whaaaaat???? Apple is not even trying 😂😂😂

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I know, I would love to replace it with a modern machine, hence the test buy of the new Air. I‘m willing to hold on to it till it breaks or bevomes unusable.

The iPad Pro is still a toy in my eyes. I can’t use it in my case. Also I checked out the Magic Keyboard right now and I‘m shocked to see it doesn‘t have an escape key and a function keys row. Whaaaaat???? Apple is not even trying 😂😂😂
IPP doesn't work for me either. Need a machine that can run a standalone copy of tax software (i.e. not restrict me to web-based) and also need a command prompt/shell.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Just like 99% are fine with the current selection of laptops? The ultra-light, ultra-small laptop segment is as much of a niche as a budget-minded, standards-based, expandable tower. And we're not getting one of those from Apple ever again either.

Such is the suffering of being an Apple user: Their focus on a handful of product segments, and only a handful of options within those segments, I'm sure makes the design, manufacturing, and sales process easier for Apple, and makes the lives of most consumers unfamiliar with the details of technology and/or design trying to buy a computer easier. But as soon as your needs deviate from the top of the bell curve, it becomes challenging to find a solution within the Apple universe that doesn't involve significant compromise. That's not our fault, for wanting niche options, or Apple's fault, for not wanting to produce niche options. There is never a perfect single solution.

It's yet another reason to not marry yourself to any one platform. I love my Macs for what they are, and use them to their fullest extent. And I also own other devices, based on other platforms made by other manufacturers, to use in the ways that Apple is unable or unwilling to address. That's the real way to always get what you want.
It's true that the industry evolves but Apple is focusing on all the wrong things. They continue to be successful, not because of hardware, but because of OS. The only true alternative for OS is a lot worse.

• Haha
Reactions: EmotionalSnow

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
Good. You are helping those who wants to buy refurbished devices at a discount
I didn‘t buy a new one fyi. I bought a flawless customer return on Amazon. So it‘s in pristine condition but has been activated before. It‘s going back in pristine condition, wiped clean.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Hey guys,

I just wanted to share my experience with the 2022 M2 Macbook Air coming from the 2013 MacBook Air 11,6“. I wanted to try one of these and compare it against the 11 incher. This is going to be very subjective and I‘m very picky but anyone upgrading from one of these might be interested.

Observations:
The difference in weight and especially size (duuh) is very noticable.
View attachment 2293752 View attachment 2293753 View attachment 2293755 View attachment 2293756

2. My palms prefer the wedge design.
View attachment 2293757 View attachment 2293758

3. Speakers on the new one have way more bass but totally lack the mids.

4. The keys on the new keyboard have a little less travel. Small difference but I prefer the old keyboard.

5. I hate that it auto boots when I open it (wtf?) and I can‘t turn it off.

6. I don‘t like the new layout of System preferences in Sonoma.

7. Display, webcam, battery life and raw computepower are way better on the new one. I‘m using mine for office and media consumption tasks, but also record vocals in Logic. I don‘t need 8K video editing power.

8. Notch bothers me more than it did on the iPhone. Why isn’t it aligned with the taskbar? Just shy of a couple of pixels. And the mousepointer and icons going behind the notch irritates me. You could literally "lose" a file on your desktop behind the notch. Why Apple?
View attachment 2293759 View attachment 2293773

9. I would have preferred keys for adjusting the keyboardbrightness instead of Spotlight and Focus.

10. The rubber feet on the new one are more slippery compared to the old ones. So one handed opening has it sliding away. This might change with time and depends on the tables surface.

11. The biggest gripe by far I have with it is the touchpad! It doesn‘t have any travel which irritates me so much it has me cringing when clicking. Feels like it‘s stuck or like it was "heavy" or something heavy pulling on it so you can't click it. Is this normal?? This alone makes me want to return it.

Additional points:
One USB-A port would have been a life saver when you‘re in other environments. USB-A is still everywhere.

I recently upgraded the SSD in the old one. Not having that option in the new ones is bad when you give it some thought. This has been discussed to death on this forum, but it‘s just the truth.

View attachment 2293762

A couple of years back I tested the 12“ Macbook. Keyboard was really bad, one port only was really bad, weight and display were great!

Conclusion: 13,6“ is not for me. I‘ll be waiting for a new smaller Macbook and keep enjoying my fully functioning 11,6“.
you gave it a try ... I am glad I got a M1 MBA 2,5 or so years ago, wedge design is so much better, for me.

jabbr

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
this is the silliest list of complains I've seen in a while. Your new computer is better in every single way than the 11" other than ultra portability.

8. The notch has padding in the menu bar because tangents are widely considered bad design.

9. Wasting keys for keyboard backlight adjustment never made much sense to me. If you know how to type you don't care about the backlight at all, let alone would you be routinely adjusting it.

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
9. Wasting keys for keyboard backlight adjustment never made much sense to me. If you know how to type you don't care about the backlight at all, let alone would you be routinely adjusting it.
I don't need the backlight to type, as a touch type, but in a dark room it's very helpful for finding random function keys or numbers. It's also handy to be able to tone it down when you want to.

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
The OP raises a lot of good points and a few weaker ones. Of course you do not want USB-A on any device going forward. Legacy ports must die now or they will live forever.

Nobody really cares about the tallest part of a wedge. That's just how Apple sold it. The M2 MBA is still thicker from every angle you look at it. Uniform thickness has its benefits, but its neither looks nor ergonomics.

Even though a notch is better than thick bezels, it's still a highly irritating design.
There is an option to hide the menu bar, but I would not use it with that screen. Unfortunately it cannot be disabled on the internal display and enabled on the external display simultaneously.

That's a horrible solution. Why can't I hold down the option key and use the screen brightness keys [⌥+☼]?
You can add an icon in the menu bar for key backlight adjustment.

It didn't "burn" through anything. If you put a bright lamp behind the logo, the light shines through.

Which is why it's not (yet) coming. Apple is far from lowering the prices on Macs. Inflation is still high.

All he said was: I dislike the new design. And I don't love it either.
I love my MacBook Air M1, although I loved the smaller MacBook 12" even more. Is the M1 Air wedge design very different from the M2 Air flat design?

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
As others have likely mentioned, an M1 Air would solve a handful of your issues, while a lot of the others are not really issues with the M2 Air so much as they're just issues with Apple's entire laptop lineup and modern laptops in general.

I do think an M1 Air might be worth trying out though. Performance wise its pretty much indistinguishable from the M2 Air, while keeping the wedge shape and ditching the notch.

Shifts

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2019
My biggest pet peeve about the new Air models is… the name. Air to me always indicated as light as possible, like air. Recently they introduced the 15" Air, and what is then in a name? They are no longer small, they are no longer light, so why not ditch the Air and just call them Macbook?

I really wish they return to the ultra small and light setup for the name Air.

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
My biggest pet peeve about the new Air models is… the name. Air to me always indicated as light as possible, like air. Recently they introduced the 15" Air, and what is then in a name? They are no longer small, they are no longer light, so why not ditch the Air and just call them Macbook?

I really wish they return to the ultra small and light setup for the name Air.
I think the same way. The MacBook, iPad and even iPhone lineup is convoluted and doesn't make sense in many parts anymore.
Naming now only leaves room for calling a new 12" the MacBook Mini/Nano 🤣

• Sad
Reactions: EmotionalSnow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.