Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
One USB-A port would have been a life saver when you‘re in other environments. USB-A is still everywhere.
USB A and B need to die. I hate that the studio wastes two ports with USB-A. I just bought a new drum machine in 2023 with an A port and micro B which will leave me stuck with adapters now for years.

The EU would have done better to ban USB A/B and leave Lightning alone...

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
USB A and B need to die. I hate that the studio wastes two ports with USB-A. I just bought a new drum machine in 2023 with an A port and micro B which will leave me stuck with adapters now for years.

The EU would have done better to ban USB A/B and leave Lightning alone...
I never understood why usb-b exists :)
Fortunately when you buy new stuff you often have the option of getting something with usb-c. Many audio interfaces are finally C now.
But people, institutions and companies still have equipment that‘s used daily but with usb-a and they won‘t throw it away just because there is a smaller connector now. So when you‘re interacting with them a lot you either always carry a working adapter with you or you carry a Laptop that has a port.

I bought a new LG TV in 2021 and it has USB-A, all the other TV‘s did too. I‘m curious, do the newer ones have USB-C?

Reactions: tonyr6

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I never understood why usb-b exists :)
Fortunately when you buy new stuff you often have the option of getting something with usb-c. Many audio interfaces are finally C now.
But people, institutions and companies still have equipment that‘s used daily but with usb-a and they won‘t throw it away just because there is a smaller connector now. So when you‘re interacting with them a lot you either always carry a working adapter with you or you carry a Laptop that has a port.

I bought a new LG TV in 2021 and it has USB-A, all the other TV‘s did too. I‘m curious, do the newer ones have USB-C?
The USB standard differentiates between hosts and devices. The host controls the bus and initiates communication, while devices can only respond to hosts. Because the host puts outs power through its connector, connecting two hosts directly together can damage them. That's why the standard originally had type A and B connectors. Type A for the host and type B for devices. The well-known mini- and micro-USB connectors are actually mini-B and micro-B connectors. There were also mini-A and micro-A plugs, but they were far less common. With USB 3.0, host to host communication was allowed by the standard for the first time. The USB-C connector obviously doesn't physically distinguish between host and device connectors. Instead, the role of host and device is handled electronically when two devices are connected together with a type C cable.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
They work fine for me. Different hands, I guess. Flip the laptop over onto its lid and try pick it up, I promise it would be much worse without the feet.
I would just slide the machine near the edge of desk to pick it up. I don’t mind scratched caused by that.

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
They work fine for me. Different hands, I guess. Flip the laptop over onto its lid and try pick it up, I promise it would be much worse without the feet.
Grippier desk your end? Unless I use two hands, or time it just right on the very corner, all I achieve is pushing my personal Air and work Pro around the desk. I have larger than average hands, but never had a problem lifting older Apple laptops up one handed. Certainly it would be much worse upside down, I grant you that.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Grippier desk your end? Unless I use two hands, or time it just right on the very corner, all I achieve is pushing my personal Air and work Pro around the desk. I have larger than average hands, but never had a problem lifting older Apple laptops up one handed. Certainly it would be much worse upside down, I grant you that.
I have pretty big hands too. I just grabbed my laptop to see how I pick it up cos it’s more of a mindless action — apparently I put my thumb on top, then hook my fingers underneath and pick it up. Tried it on a couple of surfaces, and even the slipperiest of them wasn’t really an issue for me.

I’m not saying it’s perfect and no one could possibly struggle with it. This has just been my experience.

Reactions: ric22

OnawaAfrica

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2019
5. I hate that it auto boots when I open it (wtf?) and I can‘t turn it off.

do this:
Press and hold the left Control and Command buttons with the right Shiftbutton for a total of 7 seconds. Without releasing them, press the Power button and hold them all together for an additional 7 seconds. For your next boot sequence your Mac can only be powered on by using the Power button.

or this to disable it permanently:
sudo nvram AutoBoot=%00

Reactions: HackMacDaddy

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
do this:
Press and hold the left Control and Command buttons with the right Shiftbutton for a total of 7 seconds. Without releasing them, press the Power button and hold them all together for an additional 7 seconds. For your next boot sequence your Mac can only be powered on by using the Power button.

or this to disable it permanently:
sudo nvram AutoBoot=%00
This only works on older Intel Macs.

Reactions: ignatius345

spcopsmac21

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
But people are telling me it‘s the best thing ever, why am I refusing to love it? 😂
The Dynamic Island is a disgusting mess of wasted pixels that take up and waste three times as much screen space as the notch.
They could have just made the notch smaller. I wish they would have. It’s currently the main factor in me not buying a new iPhone. If it has a Dynamic Island, I refuse to buy it. I won’t be upgrading till it’s gone. If that means I switch to android then so be it.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
I have nothing against changes as long as they serve the purpose of a clear improvement.
You need to understand that I was excited to finally jump on the M2 Apple Silicon train too.
But not all of the changes in this model are for the better, as many people confirm my findings.

A lot of it is just liking what you're used to, it's not necessarily better or worse. I too found it weird going from a moving clickable trackpad to the haptic one. Now I've been using the haptic one for about 7 years, using any moving clickable trackpad feels old, clunky and inefficient. Ask me 7 years ago when I switched I'd tell you I didn't like the haptic trackpad, ask me now and I'd say I couldn't go back to a clickable one.

Even things that are as close as you can get to an objective improvement aren't necessarily liked by everyone. For example my gf prefers the older non-retina screen of her 2017 Air to the new retina screens.

As I've said, the M1 Air seems like the best compromise for you. I think you'd find it to be a good middle ground while also having modern Apple silicone power.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
I will do for sure!
Although I need to say this: Some years ago when the M1 was new I had the opportunity to run through an Apple store and I played with the base M1 Air for a minute. And I noticed a noticable lag in the ui!! Call me crazy but this thing was lagging just when I brought up the launchpad/apps and swiped left right. So I released a good amount of air through my nose, chuckled and left the store.

That must've been a one-off. If it was a wide scale problem you'd have heard about it on here. I recently got a new M1 Air and it's great. Noticeably faster than my 2016 Pro which itself would be noticeably faster than your 11".

Reactions: ignatius345

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
I recently got a 15 inch M2 air as a second laptop as my Alienware M17 R4 is so heavy to travel around with and the charger adds extra weight.

Gaming aside I love the M2. It’s super light and I am stunned at the fantastic battery life of the laptop.

The thermals are also super impressive. Can’t go to a MacBook permanently as it’s not built for gaming.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
I have pretty big hands too. I just grabbed my laptop to see how I pick it up cos it’s more of a mindless action — apparently I put my thumb on top, then hook my fingers underneath and pick it up. Tried it on a couple of surfaces, and even the slipperiest of them wasn’t really an issue for me.

I’m not saying it’s perfect and no one could possibly struggle with it. This has just been my experience.
I've always used the fan vents/screen hinge on the rear to pick up my Apple laptops, as they have a nice sharp edge that is easy to grip and lift so I can get my hand(s) underneath.

zgagato

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2021
Some of my clients are die hard 11 inch users. usually for office stuff. Usually those are 4 gb models. Maybe the OP should look of the i7 11" air with 8 gb of ram and put a name ssd in it? I mean the last 2015 model. I Have one like this, its perfect for travel but if I had to do anything other than web browsing the screen resolution and how dim it is is horrible. Same goes for the tiny battery. My next laptop is going to be an M3 15" air probably. I love this size, the 11" air gonna stay anyway. Sometimes I have to take a train to get somewhere and the bigger laptop is a no go.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014
...couple of years back I tested the 12“ Macbook. Keyboard was really bad, one port only was really bad, weight and display were grea...

Do you really need more than 1 port? Display = above all else, the 12" is fantastic in comparison to the Macbook-Air-11".

uffenman

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2022
Hey guys,

I just wanted to share my experience with the 2022 M2 Macbook Air coming from the 2013 MacBook Air 11,6“. I wanted to try one of these and compare it against the 11 incher. This is going to be very subjective and I‘m very picky but anyone upgrading from one of these might be interested.

Observations:
The difference in weight and especially size (duuh) is very noticable.
View attachment 2293752 View attachment 2293753 View attachment 2293755 View attachment 2293756

2. My palms prefer the wedge design.
View attachment 2293757 View attachment 2293758

3. Speakers on the new one have way more bass but totally lack the mids.

4. The keys on the new keyboard have a little less travel. Small difference but I prefer the old keyboard.

5. I hate that it auto boots when I open it (wtf?) and I can‘t turn it off.

6. I don‘t like the new layout of System preferences in Sonoma.

7. Display, webcam, battery life and raw computepower are way better on the new one. I‘m using mine for office and media consumption tasks, but also record vocals in Logic. I don‘t need 8K video editing power.

8. Notch bothers me more than it did on the iPhone. Why isn’t it aligned with the taskbar? Just shy of a couple of pixels. And the mousepointer and icons going behind the notch irritates me. You could literally "lose" a file on your desktop behind the notch. Why Apple?
View attachment 2293759 View attachment 2293773

9. I would have preferred keys for adjusting the keyboardbrightness instead of Spotlight and Focus.

10. The rubber feet on the new one are more slippery compared to the old ones. So one handed opening has it sliding away. This might change with time and depends on the tables surface.

11. The biggest gripe by far I have with it is the touchpad! It doesn‘t have any travel which irritates me so much it has me cringing when clicking. Feels like it‘s stuck or like it was "heavy" or something heavy pulling on it so you can't click it. Is this normal?? This alone makes me want to return it.

Additional points:
One USB-A port would have been a life saver when you‘re in other environments. USB-A is still everywhere.

I recently upgraded the SSD in the old one. Not having that option in the new ones is bad when you give it some thought. This has been discussed to death on this forum, but it‘s just the truth.

Oh and Apple needs to bring back the illuminated Logo 😉
View attachment 2293762

A couple of years back I tested the 12“ Macbook. Keyboard was really bad, one port only was really bad, weight and display were great!

Conclusion: 13,6“ is not for me. I‘ll be waiting for a new smaller Macbook and keep enjoying my fully functioning 11,6“.
I completely agree with you, as I myself am a MB 12" user and won't depart until another ~ 2 lb model is released. Interestingly, Apple is not imprinting "MacBook Air" below the screen anymore...they do currently do this for the MBP. My guess is that they will bring another line of laptops which is lighter and the current line of MBAs will become MacBooks and the new line which will weigh around the 2 lb mark will be the new MBA line. Nevertheless, there must be a very distinct reason they are not printing MBA below the screen nor imprinting MBA on the bottom of the laptop either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.