Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I completely agree with you, as I myself am a MB 12" user and won't depart until another ~ 2 lb model is released. Interestingly, Apple is not imprinting "MacBook Air" below the screen anymore...they do currently do this for the MBP. My guess is that they will bring another line of laptops which is lighter and the current line of MBAs will become MacBooks and the new line which will weigh around the 2 lb mark will be the new MBA line. Nevertheless, there must be a very distinct reason they are not printing MBA below the screen nor imprinting MBA on the bottom of the laptop either.

Interesting thought, but I think lack of laptop name under the screen is just the new aesthetic.

As for why no engrained laptop name on bottom case? Probably more expensive to do that like they do on the 14/16 pros. Or they just decided everyone knows which laptop it is.

In the same way iMac doesn't even have an apple logo on the front bottom anymore.

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
I completely agree with you, as I myself am a MB 12" user and won't depart until another ~ 2 lb model is released. Interestingly, Apple is not imprinting "MacBook Air" below the screen anymore...they do currently do this for the MBP. My guess is that they will bring another line of laptops which is lighter and the current line of MBAs will become MacBooks and the new line which will weigh around the 2 lb mark will be the new MBA line. Nevertheless, there must be a very distinct reason they are not printing MBA below the screen nor imprinting MBA on the bottom of the laptop either.
I noticed the same and found it weird. They always had the print on their models. Even though this is pure speculation I hope it becomes reality.

For now I just ordered the M1 Air to compare against the 11“ and M2 Air.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

Thehangmn

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Thank you!
Some people chose to be offended and there‘s nothing I can do about it. Wasn‘t my intention at all.
I don’t think it makes sense for people to be offended by your post, but so many of them have work arounds or are simply so minor that it’s hard to believe you would return it.
Of course you are entitled to your opinions and the subjective experience of a laptop is important so if the uniform thickness is a huge deal for you, I can’t argue there. I never would’ve guessed that would be an issue for anyone.

Reactions: headlessmike

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
It’s funny to hear you mention the trackpad and the keyboard — those are big sticking points for me as well. WAY to little key travel, and I too like having a physical click when pressing in the trackpad.

Reactions: HackMacDaddy

cnnyy20p

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2021
I only saw people love the force touch trackpad. You are the first I saw that hate it.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Wow, my experience is completely different than the OP's. I love my base M2 13.6 in MBA with MacOS Sonoma. It's is the best computer I have ever owned. My first MBA was the 13" 2014 model. I really liked that machine, but it doesn't hold a candle to my M2 MBA......display, trackpad, sound, camera, battery life, speed, weight (2.7lbs vs 2.9lbs), footprint (the older MBAs had huge bezels, so larger footprint with smaller display), operating system. Essentially, everything is better on the new M2 MBA. I paid $999 for my MBA in 2014, and you can easily get a M2 MBA for the same price today on sale or with a student discount. For me, the M2 MBA is an incredible value.

I will grant you that the older 13" models had an additional port for SDXC card slot, which I never used then and would absolutely never use today. Also, some people prefer the wedge design, but you can still get that in the M1 MBA if so desired.

eddjedi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
I agree that the 11" MBA was possibly the best form factor of any laptop I've ever owned, a truly portable laptop. It even felt smaller than my iPad when carrying it. As you say it's not just the dimensions of it, but the curves and wedge shape that make it feel even smaller than it is. A true design masterpiece.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012

immediately missed my keyboard backlight buttons when I switched to an M2 MBP. this will let you remap easily. 🙂

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
I agree on many of these. The wedge design is terrific. Aligned with the menu bar or not, the notch is unambiguously terrible. Those things wouldn't stop me from buying one, though. Apple's relationship with its users is now "you're in our ecosystem, so you'll deal with these decisions we make," not "what can we do to spark joy in our users?" The M2 MBA isn't an answer to the latter question. What the MacBook Air needed was thinner bezels (which you can accomplish without a notch; just ask every other computer manufacturer on Earth) and to lose that tacky silver finish around the display. It was already essentially a perfect design, especially if you roll back a couple of generations to when they had more connectivity.

It's not a terrible machine by any stretch, but the improvements are all internal.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Hey guys,

I just wanted to share my experience with the 2022 M2 Macbook Air coming from the 2013 MacBook Air 11,6“. I wanted to try one of these and compare it against the 11 incher. This is going to be very subjective and I‘m very picky but anyone upgrading from one of these might be interested.

Observations:
The difference in weight and especially size (duuh) is very noticable.
View attachment 2293752 View attachment 2293753 View attachment 2293755 View attachment 2293756

2. My palms prefer the wedge design.
View attachment 2293757 View attachment 2293758

3. Speakers on the new one have way more bass but totally lack the mids.

4. The keys on the new keyboard have a little less travel. Small difference but I prefer the old keyboard.

5. I hate that it auto boots when I open it (wtf?) and I can‘t turn it off.

6. I don‘t like the new layout of System preferences in Sonoma.

7. Display, webcam, battery life and raw computepower are way better on the new one. I‘m using mine for office and media consumption tasks, but also record vocals in Logic. I don‘t need 8K video editing power.

8. Notch bothers me more than it did on the iPhone. Why isn’t it aligned with the taskbar? Just shy of a couple of pixels. And the mousepointer and icons going behind the notch irritates me. You could literally "lose" a file on your desktop behind the notch. Why Apple?
View attachment 2293759 View attachment 2293773

9. I would have preferred keys for adjusting the keyboardbrightness instead of Spotlight and Focus.

10. The rubber feet on the new one are more slippery compared to the old ones. So one handed opening has it sliding away. This might change with time and depends on the tables surface.

11. The biggest gripe by far I have with it is the touchpad! It doesn‘t have any travel which irritates me so much it has me cringing when clicking. Feels like it‘s stuck or like it was "heavy" or something heavy pulling on it so you can't click it. Is this normal?? This alone makes me want to return it.

Additional points:
One USB-A port would have been a life saver when you‘re in other environments. USB-A is still everywhere.

I recently upgraded the SSD in the old one. Not having that option in the new ones is bad when you give it some thought. This has been discussed to death on this forum, but it‘s just the truth.

Oh and Apple needs to bring back the illuminated Logo 😉
View attachment 2293762

A couple of years back I tested the 12“ Macbook. Keyboard was really bad, one port only was really bad, weight and display were great!

Conclusion: 13,6“ is not for me. I‘ll be waiting for a new smaller Macbook and keep enjoying my fully functioning 11,6“.
I'm gonna be honest with you, I highly doubt they are going to make anything smaller. I feel like those days are done with.

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
It’s funny to hear you mention the trackpad and the keyboard — those are big sticking points for me as well. WAY to little key travel, and I too like having a physical click when pressing in the trackpad.
Thank you 👍👍👍👍

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
I agree that the 11" MBA was possibly the best form factor of any laptop I've ever owned, a truly portable laptop. It even felt smaller than my iPad when carrying it. As you say it's not just the dimensions of it, but the curves and wedge shape that make it feel even smaller than it is. A true design masterpiece.
100%!!!

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
I only saw people love the force touch trackpad. You are the first I saw that hate it.
I now know it‘s two things that I don‘t like about the static trackpads: the taptic engine even on the highest setting can‘t reproduce the real travel of a mechanical one. And 2: I can feel a lag or delay when I release the pushed trackpad. On the mechanical one it snaps up instantly whereas with the taptic engine it takes significantly longer for it to „pop up“. It‘s like 60hz display vs 120hz display but for haptics. I can totally feel it and I just don‘t find it better but worse. And I don‘t care if „the market“ decided it‘s the best out there. It‘s new and fancy but not better for me personally.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
It’s really late in this thread to say this but I will say that the auto boot thing is almost certainly because having it off is pointless. Do you power off your phone between uses? The sleep on the M series MacBooks draws no noticeable power while on with the lid shut and it allows them to have their wonderful instant on. Why even shut it down? Mine only ever turns off to update.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
I also didn’t like the new System Settings layout in the beginning. Now I wouldn’t ever go back. It’s so much more intuitive.
The only thing I miss is the old layout of About this Mac. Besides that I could never stand another moment with the old system preferences. I could only navigate it with the search bar even after 3 years of being a Mac owner. Completely random assortment of icons. Way more people know how to use an iPhone, even if it might not be the perfect solution for a desktop OS it’s far from a bad one.

Wow, it brings back the bezels of the M1 Macbook 😂 better than nothing I guess because this is just awfull:

View attachment 2294500
I don’t have a notch Macbook but as far as I was aware this was a bug that was later fixed. Would never bother me because I don’t have an assortment of clutter stuck in the corner of my screen, but still… (seriously, why does one need to know their CPU usage at every single moment, or most of the other things shown there?)

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Funny i love the keyboard on the new macs lol. I have a mechanical gaming keyboard on my pc and find i cant type nearly as fast or accurate as i do on my macbook. Personal preference i guess

Reactions: zach-coleman

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I much prefer the 'taptic' trackpads, due to the lack of variance on how pressable the click is over vertical height of area, with older style I always moved finger to bottom of trackpad to click, but now I can just press wherever my finger ends up on move.

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Occasionally I'd just need to check whether it's switched on. That's impossible now.
With these new Macs it's really simple. If the lid is closed [and it's not plugged into a display, keyboard and mouse], it is managing its own power such that the impact to battery is near 0 (sleep / deep sleep). If the lid is open, it's on.

The one thing I really miss is the ability to check battery percentage with the lid closed (pre-retina Macs could do this).

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
This picture once again reminds us how unnecessary the extra big feet are... They could be the same height otherwise.
The feet are functional to provide better cooling from beneath. But again there's nothing subtle about them anymore. They are protruding like an iPhone's camera lenses. It's a solid but plump design.
This is an improvement! But I prefer a grid with bigger symbols so at first glance you know where to find what you‘re looking for. Now there‘s an endless list of tiny symbols.
But there are too many settings now for a grid to work out and the grid forced awkward design choices, we only came to accept because we're used to it. Sometimes a scrolling list of arbitrary length is the best way to present information. The problem with the new settings app is that the segmentation hasn't yet matured into a consistent tree of related settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.