Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

highdefjunkie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2010
Chicago
Tends to be caused by the glue straight out of the factory - more often than not, they'll sort themselves out within a week of normal use.

Is this a known fact? Not calling you out, I'm just hoping this is true. I compared my phone to a floor model (exact settings) and mine is definitely a lot more "yellowish". I've read several posts, that after a few days, it seems to go away. I've only had mine for 2 days, so I'm hoping I don't have to swap it out.

Reactions: Galacticos

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Is this a known fact? Not calling you out, I'm just hoping this is true. I compared my phone to a floor model (exact settings) and mine is definitely a lot more "yellowish". I've read several posts, that after a few days, it seems to go away. I've only had mine for 2 days, so I'm hoping I don't have to swap it out.

Historically (since about the iPhone 4), the yellowing has been there from brand-new models. In most instances, the colour tends to sort itself out within about a week. Though there's no definitive explanation as to the cause of the issue, the hypothesis about glue seems to be the general consensus. Regardless, the yellowed screen is nothing new and nothing to worry about.

Based on this, the floor models will be a lot less yellow due to how much use they've had. Also a lot of floor models will have been used practically from launch date, so it's got a solid few weeks on your one.

Of course I'd always recommend speaking to Apple if you have any concerns. The earlier you report it, the better; so if you do need to swap it down the line, you'll have that case history available. The absolute worst-case scenario is that the yellowing stays and Apple replace your device, so one way or another, it'll be sorted.

I hope this provides some reassurance. :)

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
It's quite disputed actually. Many claim it's still "a thing" while others claim it was a one-off issue with the iPhone 4.

Reactions: highdefjunkie

highdefjunkie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2010
Chicago
Historically (since about the iPhone 4), the yellowing has been there from brand-new models. In most instances, the colour tends to sort itself out within about a week. Though there's no definitive explanation as to the cause of the issue, the hypothesis about glue seems to be the general consensus. Regardless, the yellowed screen is nothing new and nothing to worry about.

Based on this, the floor models will be a lot less yellow due to how much use they've had. Also a lot of floor models will have been used practically from launch date, so it's got a solid few weeks on your one.

Of course I'd always recommend speaking to Apple if you have any concerns. The earlier you report it, the better; so if you do need to swap it down the line, you'll have that case history available. The absolute worst-case scenario is that the yellowing stays and Apple replace your device, so one way or another, it'll be sorted.

It does, and I really appreciate the reply. Thanks again!

Reactions: keysofanxiety

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
It's quite disputed actually. Many claim it's still "a thing" while others claim it was a one-off issue with the iPhone 4.

I noticed a definite murky shade on my new 7. The people at apple weren't convinced. They did assure me I can change if I'm not happy in a week or so. And yeah the floor models looked a whiter for sure.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010

100% untrue and never has been. The yellow wont ever go away. Swap it out.

Reactions: vikingjunior

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
100% untrue and never has been. The yellow wont ever go away. Swap it out.

If you read what I said... I recommended calling Apple and logging the case. If the yellow screen doesn't go away in 1 week, then get it swapped. Therefore they will be covered in any eventuality.

Your "100% untrue" assertion is, ironically, untrue in itself. There are many, many people whose brand-new yellowed screen sorted its colour out within a couple of weeks. But hey, there's only 6 years' worth of these documented issues, pictures, discussions, and threads about it, on this website alone. Simply dipping your toe outside MacRumors will confirm this further.

Ease off the FUD and try to be part of the solution.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
If you read what I said... I recommended calling Apple and logging the case. If the yellow screen doesn't go away in 1 week, then get it swapped. Therefore they will be covered in any eventuality.

Your "100% untrue" assertion is, ironically, untrue in itself. There are many, many people whose brand-new yellowed screen sorted its colour out within a couple of weeks. But hey, there's only 6 years' worth of these documented issues, pictures, discussions, and threads about it, on this website alone. Simply dipping your toe outside MacRumors will confirm this further.

Ease off the FUD and try to be part of the solution.

People who have claimed that later admit their eyes just got used to it. Sometimes when the phone gets hot it can also look less yellow. But as soon as its cooled off the yellow is back. This has been documented, like you said, thousands of times over the last 10 years.

Amazing how supposedly Apple is the only phone manufacturer who cant produce screens without this yellow glue. I guess every other manuf figured out how to use clear glue but apple and people buying apple just need to be patient cause apple cant figure it out? Complete crap. The yellow is a manufacturing defect and wont go away.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I compared my IP7 to my sons IP6s and the 7 is much brighter with zero yellow.

Accepting anything less directly out of the box is accepting that Apple thinks you are too stupid to notice, and they can get away with forcing a b grade panel on you. All in the name of profit margin.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
I compared my IP7 to my sons IP6s and the 7 is much brighter with zero yellow.

I was comparing my iPhone 7 to my iPhone 6 on the same settings in store and the manager, who was nice and trying to be helpful, said I can't compare the 6 to the 7 because they are different models (plenty of them said the iPhone 7 has a true tone display which isn't true) but I found that hard to swallow. the brightness and blue lightness :/ of the iPhone 6 was pretty distinguishable from the iPhone 7.
I've lodged it as an issue and I'll swap it in one or two weeks if it doesn't start behaving

Reactions: kre62

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I was comparing my iPhone 7 to my iPhone 6 on the same settings in store and the manager, who was nice and trying to be helpful, said I can't compare the 6 to the 7 because they are different models (plenty of them said the iPhone 7 has a true tone display which isn't true) but I found that hard to swallow. the brightness and blue lightness :/ of the iPhone 6 was pretty distinguishable from the iPhone 7.
I've lodged it as an issue and I'll swap it in one or two weeks if it doesn't start behaving

Definitely swap it out, it wont "start behaving" it was manufactured as yellow. Its one of more of apples Display suppliers, they make em yellow and thats how they've always done it.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
Definitely swap it out, it wont "start behaving" it was manufactured as yellow. Its one of more of apples Display suppliers, they make em yellow and thats how they've always done it.

I'll be doing that if it's still an issue in a week.
To my eye the managers iPhone 7 - which she claimed was normal - looked yellow. Makes it difficult when they don't notice their own screens aren't looking as they should. But as I said they will let me do it when their stock gets in
[doublepost=1475793587][/doublepost]
I'll be doing that if it's still an issue in a week.
To my eye the managers iPhone 7 - which she claimed was normal - looked yellow. Makes it difficult when they don't notice their own screens aren't looking as they should. But as I said they will let me do it when their stock gets in

Has anyone had this issue and it went away after a few days to a week of use. What did you use to compare the colours to?

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
OP, in answer to your last question, the only truly accurate way to measure the color accuracy of your display is to use a colorimeter, but the everyday person does not have one. Comparing random pictures of other people's screens does not help as you have no baseline data since you do not know not know what lighting conditions the other pics were taken in or what white balance the camera choose for the shot. The kelvin temperature in everyday pics can vary wildly so you can't use them reliably.

With that being said, there is certainly no harm in waiting a few days to see if your display gets better. If it is still bad to your eyes or if you are unhappy with it, you can certainly exchange it at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Tends to be caused by the glue straight out of the factory - more often than not, they'll sort themselves out within a week of normal use.

The glue myth - today - is a myth and nothing more. Back with iPhone 4 and older phones, there would be yellow dots / splotches at parts of the screen. THAT WAS GLUE. Entire yellow screen is different. It just doesn't make sense at all to me that this is caused by glue. No one answered my comment in the other closed thread about why then, if it is glue, are some MacBook Pro retina (2015) screens abnormally yellow? There's no digitizer or need for adhesive in the retina MBP screens in the same manner as the phones. It is a panel defect. OP, if your phone doesn't improve after a week, who cares what the reason may be as others have said, return it for another one.

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
I returned my 7 Plus.

It does not look as vibrant because it does not get as bright as the 6.
It is also warmer/more yellow than the cooler/blue of the 6.

Going back to my 6, it really looks much better IMO.
Warmer screen, fine...but lowering the brightness is not good for people who like it all the way up.

daniphils

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2013
I love my screen but what's bothering me is the fact that it seems to be slightly more yellow or brighter at the very bottom. I tried to capture this in a picture. It's way better in reality but i think you get the idea. Would you say this is a defective screen or is it normal?

Attachments

• IMG_5561.JPG
    IMG_5561.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 202

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I had lottery issues with my iPhone 6 with yellow tint at the top.Thankfully my 7 Plus on the first try got an perfect screen with even whites.Apple has upped their QC

reyalP

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
I think the general consensus is that the iPhone 7 screen is much warmer. The majority of people who complain about it are comparing it to the 6s or 6. My 6s plus definitely had a much whiter white than my 7 plus but not by a lot. I don't think swapping it out for another 7 will make a difference but you are welcome to try.

If you want an easy solution watch the video below. I followed this guys advice and the screen is just like the 6s now.

Reactions: netnative

formerpc

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
It's not that the 7 and 7 Plus have yellow screens, it's that the 6 and 6s have way too much blue in their screens. The color temperature of the 7 series is actually *much* closer to standard. Give it time and you'll probably adjust. I know I adjusted (and now prefer it) after just a couple days usage.

This is a long read, but a very good one. These guys drill down into the nitty-gritty of the color accuracy of the iPhone 7. I highly recommend you read it.
http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone7_ShootOut_1.htm

Reactions: Smoothie

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
Many people are used to a bluish white cast on a screen, when it's actually an incorrect color temperature setting. I adjust my desktop monitors with a colorimeter and the calibrated result often has a more yellowish white than the factory settings. The calibrated display shows more natural skin tones.

Reactions: formerpc

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I had lottery issues with my iPhone 6 with yellow tint at the top.Thankfully my 7 Plus on the first try got an perfect screen with even whites.Apple has upped their QC

An obvious color temperature gradient from top to bottom or left to right is a defect. No amount of color correction can fix this since a portion of the screen will always be at an incorrect color temperature. The color temperature should be uniform across the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.