Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
The front range in Colorado is in for a winter blast starting tonight through Tuesday. Temps are forecast to be in the 20s.

Don't ya just love that first snow shoveling of the year? The rest is terrible, but you feel like you accomplished something after the first snowfall.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The front range in Colorado is in for a winter blast starting tonight through Tuesday. Temps are forecast to be in the 20s.
In college (Syracuse University) in the Fall, we used to dream about the first snow falls because we could then break our skis out. :)
[automerge]1572361796[/automerge]
The best radar app is Radarscope. I use it everyday.
The $10 version, free, or subscription?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
It has been in the teens yesterday and today along the front range. Much colder than normal for this time of year. Broken a few records, I believe.

scubachap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
UK
I recently found Windy.com - I've been quite impressed with it.

Online web sites - XC Weather and Wind Guru are good. Also, but this is UK specific, you can't beat the shipping forecast.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just recently decided to pay $3.99 for the Accuweather app, platinum. The free version is pretty good, but I thought the price was worth it to get a better forecast, be rid of the ads and support the developer. What I don’t know is if the free version let’s you track multiple locations. I like to keep tabs on loved ones. :)

As of now, I have 3 weather apps on my phone, AccuWeather (paid), My Radar (free, wants a subscription, $10/year, not going to subscribe) , and Hurricane Tracker (free, and accepts donations, I paid $3.99).

Last edited:

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
The free version of AccuWeather will let you track multiple locations (My Locations).

This is not unusual. Other free major weather apps do this as well: Weather Underground, WeatherBug, The Weather Channel, etc.

Hell, even Apple's built-in iOS Weather app has always been able to handle multiple locations.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The free version of AccuWeather will let you track multiple locations (My Locations).

This is not unusual. Other free major weather apps do this as well: Weather Underground, WeatherBug, The Weather Channel, etc.

Hell, even Apple's built-in iOS Weather app has always been able to handle multiple locations.
I just forgot to check that feature before upgrading it. Now it’s possible that they all do this, I’ve not checked, but AccuWeather gives specific rain forcasts like rain starting in 120 minutes. I like that for planning a walk.

I have also been playing with Weather Bug App free version. They want $20 for their premium version. :oops:

Reactions: JamesMike

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i have dug my high heels in and am using NOAA at forecast.weather.gov
the graphs noaa produces are ok and noaa has no advertisements
otherwise
bright sunny 60 degree day here

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesMike

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Free, buy, or subscription?
It's a Federal government website. This agency -- National Weather Service -- does not write apps. Just visit the URL.

Some third-party apps use the NOAA data as their information source. Those developers frequently use ads to monetize their app.

I use the NOAA website for their hurricane center as well as tide predictions and buoy reports.

I use the USGS website for earthquakes (the Earthquake Hazards Program). The American Red Cross has written a free earthquakes iOS app; they are sourcing the USGS data.

Last edited:
Reactions: LizKat

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's a Federal government website. This agency -- National Weather Service -- does not write apps. Just visit the URL.

Some third-party apps use the NOAA data as their information source. Those developers frequently use ads to monetize their app.

I use the NOAA website for their hurricane center as well as tide predictions and buoy reports.

I use the USGS website for earthquakes (the Earthquake Hazards Program). The American Red Cross has written a free earthquakes iOS app; they are sourcing the USGS data.
I asked because I saw an app or two with NOAA in the title.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I looked at several “NOAA” apps, with free version, in-app purchases, and one with a subscription, I wanted no part of. Took a chance on a $3.99 app called Hurricane Tracker. It is not as polished as some of the other apps, but has a wealth of storm info and graphics.

I looked through the Weather Channel App in their storm tracking section, and they have a storm listed in the Pacific, but not this Depression in the Gulf.

When I'm deeply interested in the weather, I use NOAA's website with a browser on a laptop so I can get to whatever I particularly want to see in depth at a given time.

On mobile gear I use Weather app for just the basics in some locations of interest.

Reactions: kazmac and Huntn

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
... use NOAA's website with a browser on a laptop so...
On mobile gear I use Weather app

-the ios Safari will resolve the NOAA web site at forecast.weather.gov w/ success
its fast and readable, only in 2 day at a time tho but its free
wunderground.com was better

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hanna, tropical storm is churning for the coast to hit just south of Corpus Christi, hoping to get some rain from it in Houston.

62C39479-E9C9-4DCD-A496-713BDB1957E9.png

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
My Radar is pretty terrific, and it looks fantastic on an iPad (love the animated lightning indicators)

Here's a static shot for better detail of the UI:

IMG_0049_1200.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn and kazmac

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Not nearly as high-tech as y'all. Our monsoon is finally in full effect so the grass is finally looking good. Rain at least 3 or 4 times a week and I couldn't be happier.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Welp... time to head for the cellar. Weird how we don't get these tornado warnings in the spring, always later on into the summer. "See ya on the other side". Hope it ain't Kansas I'm lookin' at then.

tornado watch 2020 Aug 3.jpg

• Sad

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I’m skeptical because when I was a young Man in Norther Virginia In 2012 Shper Derecho when there was zero warnings from NOA about it and caused me to loose power 30 days and rich citizens couldn’t get out for 7 days (because of all the downed trees)!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I just realized there are two of, more-or-less, the same sort of thread, the mods should merge the new one, into this one ...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Seven hours today in the car Kansas City to Minneapolis and a little adventure, then another hour to Taylors Falls.

Thirty miles south of DesMoines, Iowa, Interstate 35 heading North, we stopped at a gas station up on a bluff with a lot of dark clouds passing overhead when there was a huge gust followed by high winds, my guesstimate 70 mph straight line winds which lasted several minutes and seemed like a frontal passage. After it subsided, I gassed the car, we jumped back in and proceeded North. About 15 miles north of DesMoines we noticed:

1002037D-BDC2-4327-A083-14E1814FE3A9.jpeg

followed by:

97DAA28F-F6CB-4603-92B2-B6452A6BB4B1.jpeg

then:

7D63984D-0158-4A70-8BAE-1FDF54F19EE3.jpeg
fields of corn laid over!​

All in all we observed about 8-10 large tractor trailers blown over or off the road and a ripped apart grain silo. The highway was shut down, so we don’t know what was blocking the highway further up, but our detour about 8 miles off the InterState on parallel farm roads, all sorts of large broken and uprooted trees, flattened crops, and multiple farm road intersections where all the stop signs at 4 way stops were laying flat on the ground, down power lines blocking a road, and getting back on the highway, a tractor trailer was in the middle of Southbound lane, the trailer had burned up leaving just a shell of the trailer with a burning smell in the air.

After we got up the road a few miles, we stopped at a highway rest stop and found:

7DCBDFE0-D76F-4048-9F25-63E830867427.jpeg

Two trailers resting on their sides and people in a truck still hooked to one of them waiting for someone to help upright it.

After we got in at our destination, I searched Online and found, winds were up to 100 mph, 500k people without power, holy crap!
Derecho winds tear through U.S. farmland, leave 500,000-plus without power

• Wow
Reactions: D.T. and LizKat

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Derecho winds tear through U.S. farmland, leave 500,000-plus without power

Yah, it was pretty fierce about 7-9 pm last night. About ready to head out for some work errands and see what the trees look like. I've seen some reports of a few small towns hit hard.

• Sad
Reactions: LizKat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.