Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Nothing will beat my Katrina!
[automerge]1598481965[/automerge]
185 mph in the middle of the gulf with Cat. 5 storm surge. My Katrina.
It’s not a contest, but I’m sorry you had to go through that.

Besides, SSHWS categories are defined strictly based on wind when that’s often focused on a very small area in the eyewall and not the primary source of damage and casualties, even in Category 5 storms. What does it, as you alluded to, is the rain and storm surge.

Reactions: max2 and D.T.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
While I was looking at preliminary pics of horrendous damage from Laura, much of central NY and northeastern PA are getting a pick-your-poison set of weather options of their own... this is getting to be "how it is" up here during summers now, I guess. Having trouble getting used to it. So are the power utilities. Well I'm not in the cellar now for the moment, and the power is still on, so I can go back to feeling terrible for those in the direct path of Laura today.

pick yer poison .jpg

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
@LizKat hope you remain safe today too.

Thanks... well the tornado watch expires in a few hours, and no warnings so far... so it's just t-storm type hazards and possible power outages, so I feel relatively blessed compared to what's been happening in Louisiana. I can never even imagine winds in the range of hurricane speeds. Straight line winds like we've had here a few times are bad enough. All best wishes to anyone having to keep out of danger in the wake of Laura.

Reactions: kazmac

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Looking at a 50 degree swing in the weather from today to tomorrow on the front range of Colorado. It is supposed to be in the upper 80s today, and tomorrow only in the 30s as a cold front moves in late tonight/early tomorrow. Also looking at our first snow of the season.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
While I was looking at preliminary pics of horrendous damage from Laura, much of central NY and northeastern PA are getting a pick-your-poison set of weather options of their own... this is getting to be "how it is" up here during summers now, I guess. Having trouble getting used to it. So are the power utilities. Well I'm not in the cellar now for the moment, and the power is still on, so I can go back to feeling terrible for those in the direct path of Laura today.

Did tornadoes used to get that far north?

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Did tornadoes used to get that far north?

Much more rarely. It was a huge deal 10 or 15 years ago when a tornado formed and followed a river for miles after mile through the forests of the Catskills to a reservoir where it collapsed, having left thousands of trees laid down like matchsticks. Now it seems like there are a couple tornados every year upstate in the Hudson Valley region, and a lot of tornado watches and warnings farther west into central New York.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: kazmac and Huntn

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
If you live between New Orleans and Mobile Alabama, look out for Sally Monday night into Tuesday. Category 3 hurricane is a definite possibility.

Wow... out west with the wildfires, hurricanes in the south, and up here first frost advisories of the season, and a killing frost warning for higher elevations of the Catskills and the North country.

Mother Nature is saying goodbye to summer in assorted pretty violent ways all over the USA.

• Sad
Reactions: dannyyankou

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Wow... out west with the wildfires, hurricanes in the south, and up here first frost advisories of the season, and a killing frost warning for higher elevations of the Catskills and the North country.

Mother Nature is saying goodbye to summer in assorted pretty violent ways all over the USA.
You know, I think this will be a lot worse than, Laura. The last one was more intense, but this one is so much slower and has a lot more rain with it (20-30 inches in some models), there will be a lot longer period of sustained damage, and it’s dangerously close to NOLA.

• Sad
Reactions: Huntn and LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
You know, I think this will be a lot worse than, Laura. The last one was more intense, but this one is so much slower and has a lot more rain with it (20-30 inches in some models), there will be a lot longer period of sustained damage, and it’s dangerously close to NOLA.

The whole look of the big picture on these storms this fall makes the phrase "active season" seem inadequate.

tropical storms outlook USA.jpg

• Sad

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
So it doesn't feel like a good sign that it's pretty quiet from members who live in Florida and Alabama... hope their power comes back on so they can fill us in on their experience of this dreadful storm Sally, that came ashore in the northern Gulf with a big storm surge and now takes its sweet time to drench everything in its path as it moves inland.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So it doesn't feel like a good sign that it's pretty quiet from members who live in Florida and Alabama... hope their power comes back on so they can fill us in on their experience of this dreadful storm Sally, that came ashore in the northern Gulf with a big storm surge and now takes its sweet time to drench everything in its path as it moves inland.
My Father lives in Central Florida just South of Orlando and got no rain.

Reactions: LizKat

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68010
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Today is the first day of great air quality I've seen in a while. It's so nice to go outside and walk around (Socially distanced) without a mask. Love the blue sky.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We are dealing with Tropical Storm Beta. So many storms this year, they ran out of regular names, but I don’t understand why they just don’t start over at A with a regular name?

We are getting local flooding, but this slow moving storm had plenty of time to develop into a hurricane and fortunately it did not get its act together.

27E98175-4A62-414E-86D1-9F3AB3301661.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
We are dealing with Tropical Storm Beta. So many storms this year, they ran out of regular names, but I don’t understand why they just don’t start over at A with a regular name?

We are getting local flooding, but this slow moving storm had plenty of time to develop into a hurricane and fortunately it did not get its act together.

Just using more regular names could cause confusion in later years about how many storms there were in a given year and when --relative to timeframe of the whole season-- a particular storm had occurred. So use of Greek alphabet letters at least signals that a lot of storms were generated, i.e. yeah 2020 that was a heckuva year (lol as if we didn't know that already on general principles).

Sorry for all the flooding going on now, and hope all the MR families stay safe. At least there's probably a roof to sit on for most folks affected by this one. Don't mean to minimize the catastrophe that floods bring. We get them up here too, and I'm never sure whether people suffer more in the ones happening in winter or summer. Either way, floods can be merciless and cleaning up afterwards such a nightmare. We had two so-called "hundred year" flood events in 2006 in central NY... and in this county where seems like every other road is named after a hill, valley, creek, stream or river, there are some bridges that still haven't been replaced after all this time.

Reactions: kazmac and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The weather broke on Sunday, With the first significant Cold front, low was 60F, 78F this afternoon, this is Fall in Houston, garden weather! Next week it will be back in the 90s ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
6Oct2020- Dejavu with a new name Delta for the Louisiana Gulf Coast. Bad time to be vacationing in Cancun, Cozumel.

4DB5655B-0A6D-467F-8A83-4D8AC4AFAE56.jpeg

Hurricane Delta​

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
day time high topday Wednsday will be 80F
needless to say it will be windy
because tomorrow's day time will be 50F

of late here, not very frequent, maybe once a month ,there is a huge shift in temperatures over night. It will be summer one day and next day its 50F cooler
I would normally say this winter should be interesting with the temperature swings but we have been w/o any type of rain in over a month and a half.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.