Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
AGoglanian said:
silent wave -

you have all that kit, and this is a hobby for you?/ dang man.. lol i wish i had your pocketbook!

D2hs is a great camera btw - have you tried any HUGE prints from it? very capable

Not just a hobby, its my life :)

I'm still in high school but I do a ton of the photography for the yearbook. I followed our boys varsity soccer team from the season all the way to the state championship. When we won, I was thrilled and got some postgame pics of the celebration.

Every single varsity soccer shot in the yearbook was mine.

I also intend to continue this in college. Harvard has shown interest in me so i'm going to try and get in contact with someone at the Crimson.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Silentwave said:
I'm still in high school

I see. Where'd all the money come from?

I also intend to continue this in college. Harvard has shown interest in me so i'm going to try and get in contact with someone at the Crimson.

Cool, how'd they find you? (Also, if you're just starting 'the college process', a packet in the mail doesn't actually mean they're interested. ;) I'll see if I can track down a picture of my wall of shame....over 300 letters, packets and booklets sent to my friends and I from every private college you could dream of :p)

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Silentwave said:
Not just a hobby, its my life :)

Really now...I used to work in the admissions office -- I'm pretty certain that photography isn't part of the criteria :rolleyes: The courses you take (relative to HS offerings), grades in those courses, and personal statement make up 95% of what matters. The personal statement has to be a work of art to get across who "you" are as a person. Resumes and recommendations always paint a skewed picture. SAT/ACTs are only plus-factors, seriously. If you do come to Cambridge, the Crimson is pretty terrible, there are far better outlets for talent.

Be glad that you have that stuff to work with at such an early age. Some people wait 20 years before shooting with that kind of gear.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
-hh said:
Ballistics. In order to freeze the motion of an object moving at 3000 feet/sec, figure a 1 - 2 microsecond (yes "micro") shutter speed, and since many experiments need more than just a single frame to capture the events, the Phantom can shoot partial frames at up to 100,000 frames per second. Typically, we shoot at "only" 20,000 frames/sec, as this gives us more pixels of resolution with which to measure location, etc.

Ours is a Black & White. Color didn't cost any more, but the effective ISO of B&W is 1600, whereas color is two stops slower at ISO 400. As to why we made that decision, do the math for how much illumination is needed to get a proper exposure at f/2.8 @ 1/500,000 shutter speed for ISO 400 vs. 1600.

-hh

Interesting :) Thanks for that, very impressive!

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
carletonmusic said:
Be glad that you have that stuff to work with at such an early age. Some people wait 20 years before shooting with that kind of gear.

Yeah, very lucky. I have been saving for months (having just moved stateside recently) and am just updating my gear as times goes on.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Thank you all for putting a damper on my foolish college ambitions.

I'll throw the application in the garbage.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
oh my god. youre in high school and you have all of this? I went to a commercial photography school (brooks institute) and i just recently got most of the gear i have now.

i dont mean to pry. but how on earth do you have the money to do this man?
photography is my life too, it is my job, my profession. but i dont make enough yet to indulge in all of the lenses and gadgets i want. lol.

i have car payments. and a big giant car insurance bill every month. thanks to being an idiot when i was younger.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
AGoglanian said:
i have car payments. and a big giant car insurance bill every month. thanks to being an idiot when i was younger.

I won't be going into huge detail, but suffice to say that I know what costs parents money and avoid them at all costs. As in I dont go out, don't have a car, and dont drive.

And I haven't gotten a tangible gift at any holiday or birthday for years.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I am starting to sell off some of lesser used gear (the Hass Xpan kit - the body and the 45 and 90, an extra Leica M6ttl body and the Tri-Elmar). And soon may bite the bullet and suffer the loss, and sell off my XT kit (lenses and flash system).

Why? One, is that I am finding joy in digital. I will keep one Leica body and a good selection of single focal length lenses - because IMO there is a time for film. :)

For my shooting I am finding that Nikon meets my need more than Canon does.

That being said, my Nikon kit includes:

- D50 body

- D70s body

- the 18-200VR

- Lens baby with the close-up filters

- 35/2.0 AFD (close to a 50mm FOV)

- the 10.5 fish-eye lens

- the Tokina 12-24

If all goes well this weekend I will add the 105VR Micro and perhaps the R1 flash kit. I am finding that the Nikon "system" is now meeting my needs.

And as much as I hate loosing "major money" on my purchases, I may be better off selling off my Canon "kit" - better to focus in on my Nikon "kit":

- a 10D body

- a XT body

- a Rebel Ti body

- the 17-40L

- a Zenitar 16mm

- the 28-135IS

- the "old" 75-300IS

- the Canon 28/2.8

- the Canon 50/1.8 metal mount

- a Tamron 28-75/2.8

- 420EX Canon flashes (x2)

- the ST-E2 E-TTL wireless flash connector

Yes, I have more gear than one should be allowed. :) I didn't list my MF gear that I have.

To be honest the MF and (most of my) Leica gear are something thing that I would like to hold on to, in particular some my my Leica pieces.

Based on what I "know" of what is coming down the pike; this is what I would like to add to my Nikon kit (a pure wish list):

- SB-800 (x2)

- the Tokina 16-50/2.8

- something close to the the Tokina 50-135/2.8

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
please dont get rid of ANY leica gear you have. just dont. i wish i had the pleasure of owning a leica. i would shoot film again just to have one.

if for nothing else, keep it for its collectible value, seriously.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Chip NoVaMac said:
I am starting to sell off some of lesser used gear (the Hass Xpan kit - the body and the 45 and 90, an extra Leica M6ttl body and the Tri-Elmar). And soon may bite the bullet and suffer the loss, and sell off my XT kit (lenses and flash system).

Why? One, is that I am finding joy in digital. I will keep one Leica body and a good selection of single focal length lenses - because IMO there is a time for film. :)

For my shooting I am finding that Nikon meets my need more than Canon does.

That being said, my Nikon kit includes:

- D50 body

- D70s body

- the 18-200VR

- Lens baby with the close-up filters

- 35/2.0 AFD (close to a 50mm FOV)

- the 10.5 fish-eye lens

- the Tokina 12-24

If all goes well this weekend I will add the 105VR Micro and perhaps the R1 flash kit. I am finding that the Nikon "system" is now meeting my needs.

And as much as I hate loosing "major money" on my purchases, I may be better off selling off my Canon "kit" - better to focus in on my Nikon "kit":

- a 10D body

- a XT body

- a Rebel Ti body

- the 17-40L

- a Zenitar 16mm

- the 28-135IS

- the "old" 75-300IS

- the Canon 28/2.8

- the Canon 50/1.8 metal mount

- a Tamron 28-75/2.8

- 420EX Canon flashes (x2)

- the ST-E2 E-TTL wireless flash connector

Yes, I have more gear than one should be allowed. :) I didn't list my MF gear that I have.

To be honest the MF and (most of my) Leica gear are something thing that I would like to hold on to, in particular some my my Leica pieces.

Based on what I "know" of what is coming down the pike; this is what I would like to add to my Nikon kit (a pure wish list):

- SB-800 (x2)

- the Tokina 16-50/2.8

- something close to the the Tokina 50-135/2.8

Just curious about something. I do like Nikon better myself, but mostly because of the body, and the 18-200 mm VR that I'll get one day (not too stressed about getting this one right now, though). But from what you listed, what exactly is there in Nikon's lens lineup that can't be found in Canon's, or how does Nikon meet your needs better? I mean, you have a Tokina 12-24 mm with Nikon mount, but you could have gotten a Tokina 12-24 mm with a Canon mount if you didn't buy the D50. Same with lensbabies, and pretty much anything you can get from Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina. Is it just the Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye that made the big difference?

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Silentwave said:
I won't be going into huge detail, but suffice to say that I know what costs parents money and avoid them at all costs. As in I dont go out, don't have a car, and dont drive.

Is not having your parents not buy a car for you some huge sacrfice in America?! Neither me, or hardly anyone I know, have had anything approaching the cost of a car bought for them - but we didn't get given £1000's worth of other gifts to make up for it!

Perhaps we're just a bunch of kill-joy's this side of the Atlantic, but we seem to believe that until you can afford to buy and run your own car, you should use public transport :confused:

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
FleurDuMal said:
Perhaps we're just a bunch of kill-joy's this side of the Atlantic, but we seem to believe that until you can afford to buy and run your own car, you should use public transport :confused:

Public transport and america usually don't go together in a sentance unless the sentace reads:

"the public trasnport in america is terrible"

After moving here, I needed to buy a car as I just couldn't get around! Plus with cheaper gas prices here its easier to run your own car... Especially for a youngun like me still in University!

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
FleurDuMal said:
Is not having your parents not buy a car for you some huge sacrfice in America?! Neither me, or hardly anyone I know, have had anything approaching the cost of a car bought for them - but we didn't get given £1000's worth of other gifts to make up for it!

In my city public transport is extremely limited. Nothing like you have over there. Its physically impossible here to have an underground like in London because of our water table, our above ground public rail system has only one main line and only goes one place, and our buses have a bigger but still far from extensive line.

cars are a necessity here. Many people my age get a car of some sort, particularly those in the same financial tier as my family, and almost every member of my grade this past year at my school has their own car, in many cases a new high level one costing $30,000 or more. It isn't unusual to see a 10th grader (out of 12, or people 2 years behind me once school starts up) getting a brand new mercedes or BMW as their first car at age 16. oftentimes they are driving for a year or more before they get their car. You can start driving (on your learner's permit) at 15, and they drive all the time. Gas prices here have doubled in the time I could have been driving. Most adults here in Miami put between 10 and 15 thousand miles on their car each year. Even saying that perhaps an active person my age would drive perhaps 5,000 miles between school, jobs, friends, and driving the family around, and using what I figure is an average for the time period I could have driven for gas prices, I saved my family over $15,000 in the car itself and gasoline, and plenty for insurance..

I'd rather not continue to be poked, prodded, quizzed, and examined inside and out constantly by strangers. Please stop trying to pry into my private life.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
FleurDuMal said:

Maybe because you can cross your entire country by bus in what, 3 hours or so? Your public transportation is much more developed, a friend of mine in london says that busses come to stops like ever 10-15 minutes. Here in Seattle even the bigger bus routes only get a bus ever 30 minutes. And at peak ours ever 15 minutes on certain ones.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Abstract said:
Just curious about something. I do like Nikon better myself, but mostly because of the body, and the 18-200 mm VR that I'll get one day (not too stressed about getting this one right now, though). But from what you listed, what exactly is there in Nikon's lens lineup that can't be found in Canon's, or how does Nikon meet your needs better? I mean, you have a Tokina 12-24 mm with Nikon mount, but you could have gotten a Tokina 12-24 mm with a Canon mount if you didn't buy the D50. Same with lensbabies, and pretty much anything you can get from Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina. Is it just the Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye that made the big difference?

For me it is the 18-200VR, 10.5 fish-eye lens, and now the 105VR macro that Canon doesn't have matches to as of yet. Also the VRII technology IMO does its job better than the Canon IS technology.

And the CLS (Creative Light System) was a draw for me. In particular the R1/R1C1 flash system.

Also it appears that Nikon may be poised to release DX single focal length lenses. Before PMA there were pictures of some of these lenses (the 105VR Micro was one of them), making the rounds over on DPR. So I have hopes of a 16/2.0 DX (FOV 24mm) or an 18/2.0 DX (FOV 28mm) to compliment my 35/2.0 and 50/1.8.

In thinking about my gear, I have decided (I think) that keeping the Canon around just doesn't make sense long term for me. Sure I'll miss the CMOS sensor of the Canon, but the CCD of the Nikon is not as bad as some Canon fanbois make it out to be. I'll also miss the B&W mode with B&W filter settings.

Been trying to trim down my gear already. Had a Profoto lighting kit that wasn't getting much use, sold that to pay for my 105VR. Trimming down will allow me to flesh out my perfect Nikon kit, and leave money leftover, I hope for some new travel adventures.

Also, I am wanting to eliminate the question of what camera kit to take with me on a shoot. In particular in regards to my DSLR choices. For 35mm I will keep a paired down Leica kit. For MF, my Bronica gear.

All that being said my Nikon kit now includes:

- the 50/1.8

- the 105VR Micro (blame Clix for that purchase :D )

- the R1 flash system

On my wish list:

- SB-800 (x2)

- SB-R200 (x2)

- a D200 body

- an IR conversion of my D50 (http://www.jimchenphoto.com/digitalinfrared.html)

- a 16~17-50~55/2.8 (a long shot purchase, since I love my 18-200VR)

- a 40~50-135~150/2.8 (another long shot purchase, this lens and the one above are based on lens envy. Meaning that I know that the 18-200VR is not the "sharpest" out there, but a heck of a bargain for the price. But adding these two lenses defeats my desire for a "smaller overall" kit)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Abstract said:
^^Yeah, the best career is "student" (see Silentwave's post for why). ;)

I agree, and here I felt bad about posting my gear. :)

AGoglanian said:
please dont get rid of ANY leica gear you have. just dont. i wish i had the pleasure of owning a leica. i would shoot film again just to have one.

if for nothing else, keep it for its collectible value, seriously.

I hear you. But then again I look at cameras as tools. And I feel guilty when stuff sits unused. That is why I sold off my Profoto lighting kit. And now looking for a new, loving home for my Xpan kit (a 45 and 90 w/body - have a co-worker looking at it now).

I will still keep at least one Leica body, and a selection of lenses; for when I want to shot 35mm film. I may kick myself down the road when the M6TTL .58 body, and the Tri-Elmar gain in the used market, but if they might find a home that will love them, and use them more than I do - for me that is what counts. Leica cameras should not just sit on a shelf, as museum pieces.

In fact the Leica body that I will keep no matter what is the M6TTL .72 LHSA black paint. And much to the pain of some of my co-workers, I actually use this body! :eek:

FleurDuMal said:

In the US, a car is almost a requirement to succeed in life. Unless one lives in a major city, mass transit sucks big time.

I live just 6 miles from my job. It would take about an hour and a half to take the bus and rail to work. To live closer to work in order to walk or have a shorter commute; would require an additional $600 a month!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jared_kipe said:
Maybe because you can cross your entire country by bus in what, 3 hours or so? Your public transportation is much more developed, a friend of mine in london says that busses come to stops like ever 10-15 minutes. Here in Seattle even the bigger bus routes only get a bus ever 30 minutes. And at peak ours ever 15 minutes on certain ones.

We are going OT here, but I agree with your statement. When I was in London this past February, I stayed in Hammersmith-Fuller. It was an easy walk to the Blue Tube line (IIRC). But even better was frequent non-rush hour bus service from various points in the city to Hammersmith-Fuller.

Now look at my experience here in Fairfax, Virginia. Non-rush hour service to/from the METRO Rail station to my apartment a mile and half away is like every 40 minutes.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Chip NoVaMac said:
In the US, a car is almost a requirement to succeed in life. Unless one lives in a major city, mass transit sucks big time.

I live just 6 miles from my job. It would take about an hour and a half to take the bus and rail to work. To live closer to work in order to walk or have a shorter commute; would require an additional $600 a month!

Yet owning a car and driving is a massive hobby! I love my Mustang, Almost as much as Photography!

Now lets get back on topic!

Anyone have any lighting equipment etc that they haven't posted yet? Or any other studio stuff, or even darkroom stuff?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
ipacmm said:
I heard that Canon will release the 18-200 lens later this year....

Makes sense. But if it has IS, that IS will pale in comparison to the VR-II technology from Nikon, based on the tests I had done before jumping on the Nikon bandwagon.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Silentwave said:
I'd rather not continue to be poked, prodded, quizzed, and examined inside and out constantly by strangers. Please stop trying to pry into my private life.

You listed your borderline-absurdly-good collection of photo gear, and then noted that you're still in high school. I think that after dropping both of those bombs you should expect to be in for a little questioning as to why you have better gear than many professionals.

That's all. You didn't have to answer if you were uncomfortable doing so...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.