Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Nikon F4s
Nikon D70
Tamron 19-30mm
Nikon 24-110mm VR
Nikon 70-210mm (diamond in the rough)
Nikon 50mm 1.8
SB-800

A few other lenses I don't care to dig out and mention.

A couple tripods a mon.
A monorail 4x5
Press cam 4x5
a couple of toy cams

darkroom setup that I simply can't use right now.

Unfortunately I've failed to really buy any new glass in a long time. This needs to change, my entire rig needs to change and I need to find time to shoot more. I used to make good money off it all (of course the cameras I used were studio cams) and I just got busy. ;)

I'm thinking of checking into Canon soon.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
OutThere said:
You listed your borderline-absurdly-good collection of photo gear, and then noted that you're still in high school. I think that after dropping both of those bombs you should expect to be in for a little questioning as to why you have better gear than many professionals.

That's all. You didn't have to answer if you were uncomfortable doing so...
Most places I go I don't get questioned on it. I am a photographer...i collect large amounts of gear...zat is vat ve do :p

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
we're not trying to prod or pry into your life buddy, its just we got a little curious ( jealous? ) over the fact that you have such nice equipment, at such a young age. but youre right about the whole car thing, i think its rather disgusting really seeing all these spoiled kids driving new BMWs and Mercs and any other car they damn well please. because mommy and daddy buys it for them.

i just dont think its goign to do their children ANY good whatsoever to spoil them like that.

I'm not trying to say that my parents didnt ( dont ) support me, they did, and still do, but they also taught me how to support myself. So the fact that i was able to buy my '06 wrx wagon on my own i was very very happy ( to me, $22.5k is quite a bit )

so - silentwave - i guess i owe you an apology, i didnt mean to offend you or bother you, i just got rather curious when if out you were in highschool still. and like i said in my PM, i thought you were some 30+ year old guy at first!

As far as lighting and studio equipment goes on my end -
its pretty basic for now,

2x White Lightning x1600 lights
Metz 45CL-4
Various light stands and background supports
a nice big beauty dish
small and medium sized reflectors
a large-ish softbox ( needs to be replaced )
and other things im forgetting.

and all my "digital darkroom" needs is a printer. which i have decided will be the epson R2400. im just gonna wait until i can get the best deal on one.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
i have a new canon powershot S2 IS, its a very good camera for a casual hobbyist such as myself. i want to get a tripod, too. i have about 2GB of memorycards for it, and a small flexible table tripod.

i would like to say that i am a "budding" hobbyist.

S

flayzeraynx

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2006
hi. i'm newbie here but i would like the share my photography experience...

my gear is:
canon eos 350d digital rebel xt
canon 10 -22
canon 90-300 USM
canon 50mm f.1.8
kenko extension tube set
bower 2x teleconverter
550 ex flash
512 mb kingston cf card

and my newest mac mini :D

and my photography portfolio is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/okilic

greetings :)

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
flayzeraynx said:
hi. i'm newbie here but i would like the share my photography experience...

my gear is:
canon eos 350d digital rebel xt
canon 10 -22
canon 90-300 USM
canon 50mm f.1.8
kenko extension tube set
bower 2x teleconverter
550 ex flash
512 mb kingston cf card

and my newest mac mini :D

and my photography portfolio is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/okilic

greetings :)

Great shots mate!

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
My gear:

Nikon D70s
Nikon 10.5mm DX Fisheye Lens
Nikon 18-70mm DX Zoom Lens
Manfrotto 3021BPro Tripod Legs
Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
360Precision Panoramic Tripod Head
Sekonic Twinmate L-208 Exposure Meter
Manfrotto Hot Shoe Bubble Level
Tamrac Expedition 5 Backpack

bag1.jpg

wronski

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
body:
Nikon D70

glass:
Nikon 18-70mm 3.5-4.5 DX
Nikon 50mm 1.8
Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 HSM

goodies:
Nikon SB-600 gun
Manfrotto 322RC2 + 3001PRO head/tripod combo
Little $5 air squeezie thing to remove dust

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
All Nikon gear:

D70, D200 bodies

10.5mm (fisheye)
12-24mm f/4*
17-55mm f/2.8
18-70mm f/3.5-f/4.5 ("Kit" lens)
18-200mm f/3.5-f/5.6 VR
20mm f/2.8
28mm f/1.4
28mm f2
28-70mm f/2.8 ("The Beast")*
35mm f/2
45mm f/2.8P ("Pancake")
50mm f/1.2
50mm f/1.4
58mm f/1.2 ("Noct")
60mm f/2.8 Micro (Macro)
70-200mm f/2.8 VR*
80-400mm f/4.5-f/5.6 VR
85mm f/1.4
105mm f/2.8 Micro (Macro) Now that I've got the 105 VR eventually this lens will be going on the market)
105mm f/2.8 mm VR Micro (Macro)
180mm f/2.8
200mm f/2 VR
----------------
*The "Three Kings": 12-24mm, 28-70mm, 70-200mm

Oops, here's a non-Nikon lens: Tokina 90mm f/2.5 Macro

Back to Nikon:
14E II Teleconverter
17E II Teleconverter

SB 800 Speedlight

Canon 500 D close-up filter (this works beautifully on the 70-200)
Nikon 6T close-up filter

Lowel Ego tabletop lighting/light tent

Manfrotto tripod
Gitzo tripod
Gitzo monopod
Elderly and very heavy but still good Bogen tripod

Think Tank Airport Security bag
Several Domke bags, various sizes

Do I use all of these lenses? Sure do! This past week I went on a brief vacation, first in Alabama at a gathering of folks from the Nikon Cafe forum, and from there we went on to spend a few days at the Smoky Mountains National Park (GORGEOUS place!). I took most of my lenses with me and used at various times: 12-24, 17-55, 18-200, 28-70, 35, 60, 70-200, 80-400, 105 VR, 200 f/2.... Didn't yet have the 28 f/1.4, which arrived while I was away. There were a couple of times when I wished I had it. (Note to anyone looking for this apparently discontinued lens: call Ritz Camera's 800 number and ask for a "call-back," which is where they check the inventory in all their stores nationwide and "call" the lens back to their main facility, from which they then will ship the lens to the customer. Got this tip from someone on Nikon Cafe and it worked a treat!)

Also used both teleconverters..... Chip, thanks for encouraging me to get that 1.7E II TC; it definitely was just the checker on the 70-200 VR when we were at Cade's Cove taking photos of deer and wild turkeys! However, sometimes one doesn't always have the ideal lens on the camera when a situation arises..... One time I was inside an old cabin shooting interiors with the 12-24. Stepped out and there were two deer in the yard, with a third not far behind! I stood very still and they came closer, peacefully nibbling away at the grass, unconcerned about my presence. At one point I could have reached out and petted one doe, she was that close, but of course I didn't. While certainly I wouldn't recommend the 12-24mm lens for shooting wildlife, well, that's the lens that was on the camera. Because the deer were so close to me, the images I shot came out surprisingly good anyway. A magical experience!

OK, back on-topic: lighting equipment.....just the SB 800 and the aforementioned Lowel Ego Light and another Photo light (Phototek?). No room in this small condo apartment for setting up anything like a studio with studio lights, softboxes and such.....

Somewhere along the line I'd like to extend my reach by adding a 300mm lens....saw the value of that this past weekend when we were shooting Great Blue Herons at a dam site.

One bonus on this trip: I finally made the plunge into shooting RAW (NEF) and finally learned more about streamlining my workflow in Aperture. Now I need to configure everything properly in my iMac (used the MBP on the vacation) and get moving with processing images to share!

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
jared_kipe said:
Maybe because you can cross your entire country by bus in what, 3 hours or so?

Size has nothing to do with it. It comes down to public policy and the willingness to pay for the infrastructure...of which a significant chunk is paid for by User Fees (aka "taxes"). That's why their petrol is $6/gallon and their sales tax (VAT) on automobiles is around 16%.

In any event, not having a car does make a big difference, especially these days and if it was gifted by the Parents - - - In contrast, I remember that my High School Graduation present was a 35mm SLR...the Pentax K-1000 that I still have.

-hh

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
Digital:

20D
Canon 50/1.8
Tamron 18-200 (decent lightweight travel lens)
And when needed, I rent from Calumet in Philly (70-200/2.8 or the 24-70/2.8)
Oh and rent the 550ex if needed.

35mm:
rebel Ti w/kit lens
Canon TL-QL full manual camera w/ 50/1.8

MF:
Hasselblad 500CM
3 120 film backs
Waist Level
Old school meter prism
50mm f/4 C Chrome
150mm f/4 C Chrome

Bags:
Lowepro Mini Trekker backpack
Domke F-3 (best shoulder bag ever

And loads of filters and other assorted junk.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Clix Pix said:
You bet I'll be sharing! Just need to get everything edited and sized for the web.... stay tuned, I'll be back with something to share in the digital photography forum eventually!

Already looking forward to it!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
tonyeck said:
Already looking forward to it!

Me too! Love the Smoky Mountain area. Cades Cove is an awesome area.

Back to the topic.

In switching from Canon back to Nikon, I have decided to forego the D200, and picked up a second D70s body (a refurb).

So my current (and planned) Nikon kit will be:

These are already in hand:
- a D50 that will be converted to digital IR most likely by Life Pixel for $250 in the next few weeks (http://www.lifepixel.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c=2)
- two D70s bodies (for quick shooting situations like Rolling Thunder)
- my trusty 18-200VR
- Tokina 12-24
- the fun 10.5 fish-eye
- the fast "normal" 35/2.0 AFD
- the "perfect" portrait lens, the 50/1.8 AFD
- my new macro 105VR
- the R1 CLS lighting kit
- the Lensbaby with a macro kit for "fun"

Other parts of the kit that I have already:
- the ExpoDisc for WB control
- a Sekonic meter for Lensbaby and "difficult" lighting situations - incident light readings rule IMO (or at least they did for film)
- cable release for the D70s bodies
- polarizer filters for each filter size needed (have skipped them for the "fast" prime lenses
- Cokin Grad ND filter set - that I promise my self that I will use :)
- a couple of different tripods, a Bogen 3021 IIRC, and the Culmann travel tripod; along with a couple table top tripods
- the Epson P-2000 for my really long trips
- Giotto Rocket Air for quick sensor cleaning
- the Artic Butterfly for more stubborn dust
- Lumiquest Soft Screen to diffuse the pop-up flash, works great in tests with the 10.5 fish-eye
- have lighting stands and backdrop and stand

Waiting on the paperwork to add these:
- SB-R200 (x2) for the R1
- SB-800 (x2 or 3) for my "studio" work that I want to get back into
- SU-800 - since the D70s does not from my reading - allow for three groups of flashes to be controlled independently, unlike what the D200 can do. Also has greater range than the pop-up flash does for CLS control
- color gel sets for the SB-800 and SB-R200 flashes

[The list below is one that I would like some serious comment on. Some may think that I "have all the answers"; but in reality I learn from others (as well as my own "choices" - not mistakes, but "choices". :D ) You have to understand that I am one that demands the sharpest tools in the shed, if I want that I shoot my Leica gear on 35mm film. I tend to subscribe to the idea that it is the image that counts, not what lens did it.

I am also striving for a kit - that lets say that I go off to Las Vegas and the parks near by - gives me the ability to capture the best "moment"; but at the same time won't weigh me down with stuff that never gets used. As an example, looking at Clix's gear, I would be hard pressed to decide on what to take. But love her for having the choice for what ever comes her way. I just want to be able to have a kit that makes sense for "unlimited" - but sensible (US) travel - since traveling overseas limits you on weight.

To that end, I know that I would on the Nikon CLS flash system, go bare bones on the R1 kit and just one SB-800.

Just looking for insight and opinions.] As one would guess, I have my own already. :D looking for comments I guess from those that are content with the 200mm "real" focal length, but have some experience or need beyond that in the DSLR world.

On the wish list:
- fast zoom lenses, like the 17-55, the announced/or soon to be 50-150 zooms (Tokina, among others) - to be honest these may really wait till I can show myself the need for them
- a zoom lens to reach beyond my current 200mm limit from my 18-200VR zoom - looked at the Nikon 80-400VR (used), but am not happy with the VR-I technology compared to the VR-II on the 18-200VR. Price wise the Tamron 200-400 (used) would fit my limited need for such a lens at this time. Been tempted by the 70-200VR and the 2x convertor that is a popular recommendation by myself (and others) wanting the best, and with deep pockets.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Chip NoVaMac said:
Me too! Love the Smoky Mountain area. Cades Cove is an awesome area.

I loved it and I definitely want to return! It is just gorgeous! OK, I've posted one photo in the Assignments: Contrasts thread that I shot from Clingman's Dome and one of a new friend I ran across in Cade's Cove in the Picture of the Day thread.... more to come! :)

Chip NoVaMac said:
In switching from Canon back to Nikon, I have decided to forego the D200, and picked up a second D70s body (a refurb).

I think that was a good move, picking up another D70s rather than going with adding a D200. Why? Because IMHO it is a lot easier to have two identical bodies for working quickly in most situations than it is to have one body of one type and another of another type. I've already noticed that it can be awkward working with a D200 one minute, then picking up the D70 in the next minute.... In my experience it's much better to have two identical D70s bodies or two identical D200 bodies rather than trying to mix-and-match.....

That's interesting you're also interested in going into having a body converted to IR. I've been thinking along these lines, too, especially after seeing some people's intriguing results on Nikon Cafe. I don't remember the name of the company that some of them recommend for this (probably is Life Pixel, but I am not sure) but one of these days I'll be exploring the possibilities, too.

You've got some great gear here! At some point I'll be ready for that R1C1 system, and this past week I was reminded of the value of using ND and gradiated density filters....somewhere I've got a bunch of Cokins that I bought and used years ago but I need to find them and the adapter to see if they'll still be useable on my current lenses.

On this trip I took 2 small external hard drives and the Epson P2000, along with my MBP; I ran into some problems with the P2000 so was glad I had the other backup devices! I'll bring it in to you some day with a full CF card and we can figure out what I was doing wrong (or not doing at all if I were missing an essential step), because I wasn't able to bring up images in the thing after I'd copied them to the drive. ?? As far as I know the HD has plenty of space in it so that wouldn't have been the problem. User error was the problem, I'm sure! LOL!

Chip NoVaMac said:
As an example, looking at Clix's gear, I would be hard pressed to decide on what to take. But love her for having the choice for what ever comes her way.

LOL! It was fortunate for me that we were traveling by car this trip, as I really didn't know what to take since we'd be shooting in many different situations. Easier to just throw all the lenses in the bag and then I'd be sure to have what I needed.... It was convenient being able to work out of the back of the vehicle, just reaching into my bag and grabbing whichever lens I thought would be suitable. Now that I've been to the gathering in Alabama and the Smokies, this next year I will have a much better idea of what to leave at home when I'm packing, both in terms of camera gear and clothing. I tend to overpack and take too much stuff, especially when I don't know what to expect. That's why I made a mental (and physical) note of the lenses I used throughout this trip, so that next year I can travel a little lighter. I am well aware that I am very fortunate to have had the lenses I wanted/needed to fit certain situations but of course if I'd been more limited in my choices I would have found ways to get good shots nonetheless. Actually, I'm sure that the 18-200 VR would have covered a lot of bases! I found that in San Francisco, anyway, as during that trip it lived on the camera the whole time....

It was neat while we Nikon Cafe people were all together shooting: some had really extensive and expensive gear (big tripods equipped with Wimberley (sp?) sidekicks and Wimberley gimbols (sp?), 400mm and 500mm lenses, etc., while others were a bit more limited, maybe having an inexpensive tripod or none at all and maybe just a couple of consumer-level lenses, but, hey, in the end everyone had the best time together and there was no weenie-wagging or bragging about one's equipment. Many people had the lenses they needed for the type of shooting they did (ie: the guys with the 500mm lenses were serious nature photographers), while the rest of us benefitted from seeing some of this equipment in actual use rather than just in a magazine article or in a store. One young guy who is just starting out in serious photography was tickled when a couple of the others lent him some of their gear so that he could try it out, see if it fit his needs so that when he's ready to buy his own stuff he'll know what works for him. People were very generous. Oh: So-and-so forgot his MC-30 cable release? Someone else said, "hang on, I've got an extra one you can use!" A couple of photographers wanted to see what looking at life through a 10.5mm lens would be like? Hands reached out offering one for the testing....

There was no competitiveness, but a lot of learning and sharing. Someone shooting with a 70-300 next to someone else with a 70-200 VR and teleconverter or next to someone else wielding a 300mm f/2.8 still could and did get some great shots, as in the end it is the photographer's creative vision that matters more than the actual gear used.

When traveling, a lot depends upon the reason for the trip, the means of getting there, the situations likely to be encountered there. This was the first time I've traveled with more than just the basics, as I knew I had the flexibility offered by traveling by car as opposed to flying. January 2007 when I fly back out to SF I'll again be taking just a couple of lenses, and having been there before I know what to expect now, too, in the way of shooting situations. That 18-200mm VR is a gem and it works so well for so many situations. It'll be on the camera.....

Chip NoVaMac said:
looking for comments I guess from those that are content with the 200mm "real" focal length, but have some experience or need beyond that in the DSLR world.

Well, this past week, especially in the Smokies, I really got a lot of use out of the 70-200mm VR with the 1.7 TC; I'm now thinking about a 300mm but at the same time need to assess just how much I'd use that, how much nature photography I'll be doing. I do live in an area where there are a lot of opportunities for capturing wildlife (geese, ducks, an occasional blue heron). Slipping a TC on Bertha will certainly give me a lot of additional range.... The 80-400mm is a nice lens but definitely there are limitations to it. I've gotten some really decent shots around here of the geese and ducks in the water or on the ground,but when it comes to capturing BIF (birds in flight), that lens leaves a lot to be desired. It is just too slow and once you've lost focus while panning it is difficult to recapture. I used it in Alabama some, but when we got to the Smokies I set it aside in favor of the 70-200mm with a TC or Bertha without a TC, as both of those lenses were a bit more responsive.

The 12-24mm definitely comes in handy in certain shooting situations, while the 17-55 range can be covered by a couple of combinations of other lenses. I used both to good effect on this last trip.

Now that I'm finally getting the hang of teleconverters I will probably be eventually adding a 2x to my bag and seeing how Bertha and the 70-200mm work with that before making an investment in a 300 mm lens. I need to assess just how often I need and would use the extra range provided by a 300mm or a 300mm plus teleconverter.

The 70-200mm VR is a worthwhile purchase for anyone who wants to reach out and touch wildlife or flowers or whatever, and it works extremely well with the 1.4x and the 1.7x teleconverters (haven't yet tried the 2x)....

In the end, the photographer has to make a decision about what kinds of thins he/she likes to shoot and then ensure that he or she can use the right gear for that situation, either by buying it, renting it or borrowing it. If someone only occasionally shoots wildlife, for instance, it makes sense for them to rent a 300mm, 400mm or 500mm lens rather than purchasing it, but if they find that they're doing a lot of architectural or interior shots they might want to go ahead and invest in the wide-angle lenses which work so well in those situations. Candids of people? The photographer who really likes doing this kind of thing might be happiest by putting his or her money into the lenses which work best in these situations. Love macros of flowers and plants? Plunk down the money for the macro lenses which will do the job....

Sometimes it takes a while to figure out what one really likes to shoot the most and to develop a style and to incorporate the lenses which best reflect that style....

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Clix Pix said:
I loved it and I definitely want to return! It is just gorgeous! OK, I've posted one photo in the Assignments: Contrasts... and one of a new friend I ran across in Cade's Cove in the Picture of the Day thread.... more to come! :)

Can't wait to see more!

I think that was a good move, picking up another D70s rather than going with adding a D200. Why? Because IMHO it is a lot easier to have two identical bodies for working quickly

And this was my general thoughts as well. The benefits of the D200 would probably never be used (save for the 10MP) for my shooting style. And then I would go back to my days of trying decide between 35mm AF SLR vs. 35mm RF vs. MF choices. Much easier when gear is better matched IMO.

That's interesting you're also interested in going into having a body converted to IR. I've been thinking along these lines, too, especially after seeing some people's intriguing results on Nikon Cafe. I don't remember the name of the company that some of them recommend for this (probably is Life Pixel, but I am not sure) but one of these days I'll be exploring the possibilities, too.

If you can let me know what those on Nikon Cafe had to say as the best place ASAP - I would appreciate it. I would like to send my D50 body out next week.

You've got some great gear here!

Thanks. I am aiming to be "simple". IIRC it was Ken Rockwell that said that the 18-200VR has become his primary lens. And I know why.

I ran into some problems with the P2000 so was glad I had the other backup devices! I'll bring it in to you some day with a full CF card and we can figure out what I was doing wrong (or not doing at all if I were missing an essential step)

Please do, for you didn't need the MBP, unless you needed full editing capabilities.

In the end, the photographer has to make a decision about what kinds of thins he/she likes to shoot and then ensure that he or she can use the right gear for that situation, either by buying it, renting it or borrowing it.

Now you are sounding more like me. <g>

Not that I can't afford the "best". But I would rather put that extra money to travel and other good things in life.

There is something though to owning the "best". I know it from owning Leica RF gear. But I have moved past having the time and such to devote to the B&W darkroom to get the results out of the Leica on a regular basis.

And in the limited testing I have done in digital, I don't see myself needing the best glass. I have two 13x19 prints from my Panasonic LX1 that seem to be pretty close to anything that I had done with "great" glass in 35mm AF SLR's. The Leica fanboi in me would like to think that these images would have been even better if shot with my Leica RF kit. <g>

Thanks for the first input on my choice for something beyond the 200mm focal length (before the 1.5x FOV factor). I know that I would love having the 17-55/2.8 and the 70-200/2.8VR. There is pride in ownership. But I love being able to sling a bag over my shoulder.

I know that my day out for Rolling Thunder with the D50 and D70s and the 10.5, the 35/2.0, the Lensbaby (these were never used that day); and the Tokina 12-24 and the 18-200VR was enough weight for me. I might be able to "survive" adding a third body and something like the Tamron 200-400.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Clix Pix said:
All Nikon gear:

D70, D200 bodies

10.5mm (fisheye)
12-24mm f/4*
17-55mm f/2.8
18-70mm f/3.5-f/4.5 ("Kit" lens)
18-200mm f/3.5-f/5.6 VR
20mm f/2.8
28mm f/1.4
28mm f2
28-70mm f/2.8 ("The Beast")*
35mm f/2
45mm f/2.8P ("Pancake")
50mm f/1.2
50mm f/1.4
58mm f/1.2 ("Noct")
60mm f/2.8 Micro (Macro)
70-200mm f/2.8 VR*
80-400mm f/4.5-f/5.6 VR
85mm f/1.4
105mm f/2.8 Micro (Macro) Now that I've got the 105 VR eventually this lens will be going on the market)
105mm f/2.8 mm VR Micro (Macro)
180mm f/2.8
200mm f/2 VR
----------------
*The "Three Kings": 12-24mm, 28-70mm, 70-200mm

<snip>
Ouch. Arg. Drool. :D

Among your primes, have you found any that compress depth? Or am I still holding on to some delusion?

When you have the "Three Kings," how do you decide when or if to take any primes, particularly at the telephoto range?

I arrived in India a few hours ago for a business trip, but decided to take only my 18-200 VR lens. I had space for another lens, but decided that it would have been largely superfluous.

Even for photo expeditions back home in California, I have trouble deciding which combination of lenses to pack. All too often, the zooms win.

Oh yeah, my current inventory:

Tokina 12-24 f/4 DX
Nikon 18-200 f3.5-5.6 DX
Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Nikon 28mm f/2.8
Nikon 60mm f/2.8 macro
Sigma 28-70 f/2.8
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM
Sigma 17-35 f/2.8-4

Bodies: D200, F100

SB-800 flash
Manfrotto 3001PRO with 322RC2 Horizontal Grip
B+W polarizers and graduated ND

Of these, the most used lenses are the Sigma 28-70 and the Sigma 17-35. The Tokina 12-24 and Nikon 18-200 are new, but they're getting used regularly.

Edit: Missed a lens. I didn't know I had so many.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
ksz said:
When you have the "Three Kings," how do you decide when or if to take any primes, particularly at the telephoto range?[?QUOTE]

Yeah, I still sometimes have trouble deciding which lens to use in which shooting situations. The other day, for instance, I had the 35mm f/2 and the 18-200mm in the bag and used both of them during a party situation and only later realized that I really should've gone out to the parked car and pulled my 28-70 out to use for the people shots. It's too easy to depend on that all-purpose 18-200mm VR.... I'm trying to break myself of that habit! On the other hand it is just the checker when traveling and having limitations on what one can carry....

For me, lens choice (prime vs zoom) will depend on many factors. For instance, back in April I was going to an event where I knew I'd be on my feet for all of the time, I'd be shooting beginning in mid-afternoon and continuing through dark, and I'd be shooting people at close range but also speakers on a podium. Lenses that went with me that day were the 28-70, the 180mm and the 50mm f/1.2. Didn't take the 70-200mm VR, because the 180 would give me the reach I needed for distance shots and is considerably lighter in weight. Used the 28-70mm most of the time. Then, as it turned out shortly after the event began the clouds opened up and it started to rain -- pouring buckets, actually! -- and we all wound up inside the rear of a large truck, so the 180 didn't get much use after all. Instead, that 50mm came in handy but I was wishing I'd had the 28mm f/1.4 (which at that time I didn't own) or an even wider, faster lens....

Another event I recently attended was the National Race for the Cure, and for that occasion since I knew I'd be also participating in the walk and that it was going to be crowded, busy and hot, I chose to take just the 18-200mm VR fbecause of its versatility. It did a nice job for me. Also tucked the 10.5mm fisheye into the bag and used that a couple of times on the crowded Metro (subway) train going downtown but haven't yet corrected the perspective in those images so the people and the train seats look a little warped....LOL! I'm waiting for the new NX rather than bothering to download and install the trial version of Nikon Capture.

When I was out in SF for MacWorld I had the 18-200 and the 12-24mm with me, but it was the 18-200mm VR which lived on the camera 99.9% of the time; it got a good workout!

In the Butterfly House at the Botanical Gardens in Huntsville, Alabama, I used both the 105mm VR and the 60mm macro lenses. I love that little 60mm and use it quite a lot, more than I'd thought I would at the time I purchased it. I still haven't given the 105mm VR a proper workout yet, having just gotten it a few days before the trip down South. I haven't reviewed the images I shot with it yet, but it was nice not having to use the tripod in the Butterfly House. Actually some of my fellow photographers used their 70-200mm VRs, the 200mm macro or even 300mm lenses in there, getting stunning results. Next year I'll have a crack at that....

On that trip, since I had a good collection of lenses with me it was a good opportunity for learning to make appropriate lens choices in given shooting situations instead of just automatically reaching for that 18-200mm VR.

Planning to run up to New York City for a couple days in August (primary destination: the 5th Avenue Apple Store!), so already I'm starting to think about which lenses to take....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.