Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
when I go to genyt.xyz it kicks me out to genytb.net, which serves up a 503 error, so maybe its a regional thing? Also didn't you find that there were regional differences with youtube being able to access videos?
Could be?

The regional thing years ago turned out to be down to specific ISPs - different provider and it worked.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
when I go to genyt.xyz it kicks me out to genytb.net, which serves up a 503 error, so maybe its a regional thing? Also didn't you find that there were regional differences with youtube being able to access videos?
It has to be a regional thing. I get the same crap error. I found a better way to do this.. I saw by typing convert youtube to quicktime or .3gp - I got over 100,000 hits. It does work.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
But I'm not going there - I went to https://www.genyt.xyz/
Question.. in your video on how to play youtube in OS 9, I saw an app called: YTtube - Where is this app found at ? Macintosh garden ? So, I spoke with my provider and they told me the site is also deprecated on their end - since they are a european site, possibly regional.
Did I imagine the screenshot I posted too?
I don't know, I don't think so, but many others here, like myself tried the site and we are all getting deprecated 503 errors - copyright date is 2021, so I doubt seriously they shut down.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Question.. in your video on how to play youtube in OS 9, I saw an app called: YTtube - Where is this app found at ? Macintosh garden ? So, I spoke with my provider and they told me the site is also deprecated on their end - since they are a european site, possibly regional.
It's a shortcut to FileTyper - all the information is in the first page of this thread.

Regarding genYT it's working here (UK.)

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Dronecatcher(do you catch drones really :) ), what was the name of the OS 9 app that you mentioned at the beginning of thread which the developer went off line ? If I can get the year it was made and his website, I can use archive to find it.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
It will be no use - as I've said, it played flv files and Youtube stopped using them years ago.
I read about that, YouTube stopped using flash for videos.. besides I think I found out what the app was - Ytube09 or something like that.. so if genytb.net won’t work for the region where we are located, what other option ? I like PPCMCW, just that it takes a long time to get the videos to process.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Interesting article - so, up till 2017(only 3 years ago wow !), OS 9 could play YouTube due to YouTube using flash.

July 27, 2017: YouTube has made changes and it looks like it's no more possible to watch videos using FlashPlayer. Not really surprising since Adobe has announced the end of Flash.

thus, by them doing this and Adobe ending flash, this effectively killed watching YouTube on OS 9. I do remember using my sawtooth on the internet and flv was the “defacto” method of watching YouTube videos during the OS era up till 2017.

Well, maybe Adobe should have kept flash going.

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
Interesting article - so, up till 2017(only 3 years ago wow !), OS 9 could play YouTube due to YouTube using flash.

July 27, 2017: YouTube has made changes and it looks like it's no more possible to watch videos using FlashPlayer. Not really surprising since Adobe has announced the end of Flash.

thus, by them doing this and Adobe ending flash, this effectively killed watching YouTube on OS 9. I do remember using my sawtooth on the internet and flv was the “defacto” method of watching YouTube videos during the OS era up till 2017.

Well, maybe Adobe should have kept flash going.
Apple helped kill it. And not just Apple, Steve Jobs himself.

I'm actually pretty sad about the death of Flash too, because it was an important part of the early internet, but the way Youtube used it was incredibly ugly. Stuffing h264 video into something for Adobe Flash to decode couldn't end soon enough, in my opinion.

Reactions: Bruninho

Bruninho

Suspended
Mar 12, 2021
As a web developer I am glad that Adobe Flash is dead. It took ages to be killed since Steve (Jobs) declared it would be dead soon, but thanks God it was killed. Back then I was supporting and pushing for HTML5 <video> support. However things went awry because browser makers never agreed on a standard video format...

At the beginning of my career (2004/2005), I never liked to deal with Flash stuff on websites because using Flash code to produce animations and banners was never fun. It is on the same level as my hate for jQuery frameworks.

So, when websites started to drop IE 7 and Flash animations, around 2015, 2016, I was relieved. Only when around 2019 my last employer had dropped IE9/10/11 support for our projects and make a push for our clients to use Edge or alternatives, given the market share of Google Chrome and Firefox.

And way more relieved when Microsoft chose Chromium as the new Edge engine because it would mean a consistent web design across all browsers. But it has a serious downside: Google now have too much power on W3C to dictate the web standards.

I really wish Mozilla could up their game and take the fight to Chrome/Chromium, in an attempt to reduce Google's power on W3C decisions. There needs to be more Mozilla based browsers to support this.

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
As a web developer I am glad that Adobe Flash is dead. It took ages to be killed since Steve (Jobs) declared it would be dead soon, but thanks God it was killed. Back then I was supporting and pushing for HTML5 <video> support. However things went awry because browser makers never agreed on a standard video format...

At the beginning of my career (2004/2005), I never liked to deal with Flash stuff on websites because using Flash code to produce animations and banners was never fun. It is on the same level as my hate for jQuery frameworks.

So, when websites started to drop IE 7 and Flash animations, around 2015, 2016, I was relieved. Only when around 2019 my last employer had dropped IE9/10/11 support for our projects and make a push for our clients to use Edge or alternatives, given the market share of Google Chrome and Firefox.

And way more relieved when Microsoft chose Chromium as the new Edge engine because it would mean a consistent web design across all browsers. But it has a serious downside: Google now have too much power on W3C to dictate the web standards.

I really wish Mozilla could up their game and take the fight to Chrome/Chromium, in an attempt to reduce Google's power on W3C decisions. There needs to be more Mozilla based browsers to support this.
Don't get me wrong, it needed to die. It was being used in so many ways it shouldn't have been. And it had access to the systems it was on that it definitely shouldn't have had. But funny enough, there was definitely a better way.

Who knew Flash could be a well behaved web extension?

Bruninho

Suspended
Mar 12, 2021
That’s the problem with the web.... people (devs) using the wrong things for their tasks or for things whose usage wasn‘t intended for, just because they thought it would be a great idea and because it was possible to do.

Like, the tables when the Web 1.0 started. Tables were never meant to be used for page layouts, but here we are. It took like nearly a decade and a half for people to realize that and do it right when CSS frameworks appeared.

The original flash player was just another prime example of bad usage, back in the day.

Reactions: repairedCheese

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
YouTube never played well on OS 9 ever, even 2-3, 8 10 years ago.

It did. Not talking about in browser itself but at one point you were able to effectively bootstrap YT video streams to play in quicktime and it worked shockingly well. It was probably 240p/360p quality or something but you could fullscreen it and it would play back perfectly smooth. I played a couple of VEVO music videos and it worked fine.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
And what year was this ? I found the name of the program used to do that.. it was Ytube9 I think by some Japanese programmer - sadly, though I have the program now, YouTube changed the algorithm - no older browser can play YouTube, but if you read my posts above that does not mean we can’t still browse normal HTML as we need to inject TLS 1.2 into Classila or even the other browsers.. at least then, 80-90 percent will render - forgetting about YouTube or embedded videos - THATS why Leopard is still needed for that.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
It did. Not talking about in browser itself but at one point you were able to effectively bootstrap YT video streams to play in quicktime and it worked shockingly well.
Are you sure you're not thinking of Tiger? That method of passing to QuickTime or even better RealPlayer or MPlayer was great but couldn't work on OS9 because streaming 3gp wasn't supported.

The YTBrowser for Classilla handed off flv videos before Youtube deprecated that format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.