Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Are you sure you're not thinking of Tiger? That method of passing to QuickTime or even better RealPlayer or MPlayer was great but couldn't work on OS9 because streaming 3gp wasn't supported.

The YTBrowser for Classilla handed off flv videos before Youtube deprecated that format.
It was a while ago so I sadly can't remember the exact method but not much more than 5ish years ago, not like 10 years ago. I remember being very shocked that it worked at all and I'm quite certain it wasn't Tiger, I wouldn't have found that very remarkable. I regret not documenting it more now!

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
It was a while ago so I sadly can't remember the exact method but not much more than 5ish years ago, not like 10 years ago. I remember being very shocked that it worked at all and I'm quite certain it wasn't Tiger, I wouldn't have found that very remarkable. I regret not documenting it more now!
Whatever it was, you should regret not documenting it ! Just kidding... :)

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
While useless, still want that app - even way back machine can’t find it. Do you have it ? I just want it for historical purposes.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
Seems it was never uploaded to the garden.. strange ! Such a useful app and never uploaded to the garden.
Once you find it, be sure to be the change you want in the Garden, and upload it there. That is the attitude that makes the Garden great -- more so than the actual downloads. It's our collective action.

Just to add some encouragement, I dug up and uploaded this earlier today. It's quick to do, and yet your contribution stays available for all the foreseenable future.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Of course, I also have the missing 550-667 Onyx restore and install software discs for that Titanium model.. drone catcher I believe has that app.. I can’t find it nor can I find the other one that Japanese programmer made.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
So, do you have that app ? If so, can you provide a link so I can get it plus add it to the garden ? He also made another app - FLV ??? Some flash app for OS 9.
No, I don't have it and I wouldn't see the point of sharing it even if I did - it's a script that wouldn't work with modern youtube and even if it did, the video files it would request disappeared from their servers years ago - which I've told you now at least twice.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
No, I don't have it and I wouldn't see the point of sharing it even if I did - it's a script that wouldn't work with modern youtube and even if it did, the video files it would request disappeared from their servers years ago - which I've told you now at least twice.
Just for the garden.. as historical app.

Bruninho

Suspended
Mar 12, 2021
Once you find it, be sure to be the change you want in the Garden, and upload it there. That is the attitude that makes the Garden great -- more so than the actual downloads. It's our collective action.

Just to add some encouragement, I dug up and uploaded this earlier today. It's quick to do, and yet your contribution stays available for all the foreseenable future.
Ahhh, TotalFinder...

I used it when I was on earlier versions of OS X, like Sierra, Mavericks, Mountain Lion... I can't remember which one, but at some point around 2012/2014 I used it.

Reactions: Jubadub

Mat MacOS9

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2021
YouTube never played well on OS 9 ever, even 2-3, 8 10 years ago.
In the beginning of YT, it was working perfectly at Mac OS 9. I also know that around 2010 it worked well with my 700MHz G4 and Netscape 7.02 as Wamcom. When you waited until the video was loaded completely before you started to play it, it was no problem to go fullscreen as well at this time. Later YTBrowser for Classilla did a great job, but as already said, it is just a script and completely useless now. Nevertheless I should have all the versions somewhere.

Reactions: Jubadub

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
In the beginning of YT, it was working perfectly at Mac OS 9. I also know that around 2010 it worked well with my 700MHz G4 and Netscape 7.02 as Wamcom. When you waited until the video was loaded completely before you started to play it, it was no problem to go fullscreen as well at this time. Later YTBrowser for Classilla did a great job, but as already said, it is just a script and completely useless now. Nevertheless I should have all the versions somewhere.
Having a backup of it could be educational. It'd be nice to see it preserved just like that.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
The files are at this page:

So far I've had no luck getting anything to work - plugins are requires that seem beyond thr waybackmachine!
Thank you.. as you mentioned - YouTube changed the algorithm and these are useless now. And also as you stated not worth it to disassemble them and reprogram them to work again, but a memory of playing YouTube on OS 9. These will be preserved on Macintosh garden and Macintosh Repository as well as on my system.

Bruninho

Suspended
Mar 12, 2021
Please don't.

Actually, they mirror (steal) all MG content anyway...but restrict and monetise access.

Really? I didn't knew that. If MR content is using the same links as MG, then I could've just gone straight to MG instead?

Where did that story came from?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK

I think it's common knowlege they scrape the MG site - difference is they then police the files - force membership, limit downloads and ask for money.

In principle I don't object to paying for such things but it's a bit rich when they've basically stolen the whole format off MG and then run as their competitor.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
Really? I didn't knew that. If MR content is using the same links as MG, then I could've just gone straight to MG instead?

Check this and the comments below it. You also might get a laugh out of this.

In short, the person hosting the Macintosh Suppository Repository is dishonest and behaves like a scammer, not only stealing credit from those that actually upload, document and archive the software to preserve them, but going so far as to point a finger towards the archivists themselves and say that they took it from him. And although we have hard evidence of that being a lie, he tries to change the upload date of the archives on his site to try to make it look like he doesn't do what he does.

Not that the files themselves are the issue, since it is all abandonware and it's best they get mirrored in as many places as possible. The issue is his lying about authorship of the archivals, and trying to incorrectly defame the archivists themselves.

In the end, it's just some self-absorbed lunatic with a partial backup of the Garden, eating up some Garden bandwidth while trying to badmouth it. Meaning it's like a typical internet troll, and the solution is the same: we ignore it. Let it be and laugh at it for how silly (and petty) it is.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.