Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new Magic Keyboard accessory for the latest iPad Pro models is "thinner and lighter" than the model it replaces, according to the company.

magic-keyboard-3.jpg

Apple typically does not provide weight specifications for iPad accessories, but some early reviewers have effectively confirmed Apple's claims with their own figures for the 13-inch version of the Magic Keyboard.

Six Colors' Jason Snell weighed the 13-inch Magic Keyboard at 667 grams, while Brian Tong put the accessory at 662 grams and The Verge recorded 658 grams on its scales.

Despite the small variations, from these figures we can conclude that the 13-inch Magic Keyboard is around 50 grams lighter than the previous generation model, which weighed around 710 grams.

It's worth noting that at 580 grams, the new 13-inch iPad Pro itself is much lighter than the previous generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro, which weighed 682 grams.

Based on these numbers, the total weight of the iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard is around 1,247 grams, which is exceedingly close to the stated 1.24 kg weight of Apple's M3-powered 13-inch MacBook Air.

Meanwhile, the 11-inch Magic Keyboard is 580 grams, according to a MacRumors forum member who received theirs early. In comparison, previous model weighs 601 grams.

Article Link: 13-Inch iPad Pro Magic Keyboard ~50 Grams Lighter Than Older Model

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
So a lighter and thinner 13" ipad pro plus a new lighter keyboard= good choice making right there with the Macbook Air territory
So at this point , users chose the OS they want and not the hardware first

bradman83

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
My 11" iPad Pro spends most of its time in its Magic Keyboard case but when I take it out and put it into a regular Smart Folio case I'm perpetually amazed by how much thinner and lighter the combination is. To me that's the differentiator of the iPad over a MBA, sure it's as heavy and thick as a laptop when docked but I can take it out and slap a regular case on it for handheld use.

LedRush

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
I can’t wait to get my 11” iPad Pro. I’ve wanted the best screen for a long time, but that was only possible on the 12.9”. Now that the 11” isn’t gimped, I can’t wait to having a tablet that is not too unwieldy to use and, paired with a case, a laptop-like device on which I can do 90% of my work plus my music and art projects.

kenny7

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2021
Why can’t Apple include that detail in spec sheet. It’s an important detail

pksv

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2024
So a lighter and thinner 13" ipad pro plus a new lighter keyboard= good choice making right there with the Macbook Air territory
So at this point , users chose the OS they want and not the hardware first
You forgot about +50% price 😁

In all seriousness, before checking the previous iPad Pro weight I thought it was much lighter. That 100g off iPad and 50g off MK is nice but at least on paper does not look like a game changer.
These new slim iPads and accessories are so boring.
I get this sentiment, especially when we had Magsafe, dynamic island, and MK transforming it into a version of macOS rumors. Still have hopes for the latter coming during WWDC.

Last edited:

twocents

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2016
California, USA
I was in a rollover collision on the way to work about two weeks ago. So grateful to be alive! When my belongings were removed from the wreckage, I was pleasantly surprised that my 12.9 iPad Pro m1 survived in the keyboard case with only some bending in the center towards the thunderbolt port. Still can charge and play audio thru it, just cellular antennas may have been impacted.

Totally worth it for the UX and now proven resilient design!

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Can I draw in a meeting on it, no.
can I hold it in my hands no.

is the item over priced 100%.

is the software gimp yep.

has apple done this on purpose you know it.

I still go back to point 1 and 2 your suggestion can not service that need...... so..... iPads are bought
I’m not talking about iPads. I’m talking about iPad keyboards. i’ve never owned the keyboard. Just seems like such an expense

pksv

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2024
I prepped two conference posters (both 44"x44") on an iPad and they both printed out just great.

So much for "half-baked" and "vastly inferior", but then, I do work for a living.
Except for all the hand-drawing stuff, I'm pretty sure you could do all that faster on the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.