Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pksv

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2024
Can I draw in a meeting on it, no.
can I hold it in my hands no.

is the item over priced 100%.

is the software gimp yep.

has apple done this on purpose you know it.

I still go back to point 1 and 2 your suggestion can not service that need...... so..... iPads are bought
You could do all that on base iPad's and for them, iPadOS is absolutely fine. The argument that software is crippling them was always for iPad Pro's.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I prepped two conference posters (both 44"x44") on an iPad and they both printed out just great.

So much for "half-baked" and "vastly inferior", but then, I do work for a living.
Glad it works for you. Editing videos larger than 1-2 GB's from my drones crashes FCP on my ipad pro 12.9 with 16gb ram on a regular basis when editing. Meanwhile my wife's M1 MBA with only 8gb works perfectly fine. The file system is also trash when trying to move around GB's of photos and video. I would love to use only my iPP when traveling, but it's unworkable for me at this time. So for my use case it's definitely half baked and vastly inferior.

Last edited:

CouldBeWorse

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
I bought an 11" IPP and a Magic Keyboard for portability only to realize it weights the same as a 13" MBA. I should have bought the Mac.
The difference is that you can't rip the keyboard off of your mac to make it lighter and use on the go. Well, you can, but you'll never be able to put it back together ;)

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Can I draw in a meeting on it, no.
can I hold it in my hands no.
You do realize that the magic keyboard only holds the iPad on it by magnets, right?
If you want to hold it, or use it with the pencil, literally just… pull it off. Then when you’re done, plop it right back on.
Alternatively, there are third-party cases that allow you to separate the iPad case from the keyboard, like the Logitech combo touch. It’s about 100G lighter then the magic keyboard as well .

DaniTheFox

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2023
Switzerland
Glad it works for you. Editing videos larger than 1-2 GB's from my drones crashes FCP on my ipad pro 12.9 with 16gb ram on a regular basis when editing. Meanwhile my M1 MBA with only 8gb works perfectly fine. The file system is also trash when trying to move around GB's of photos and video. I would love to use only my iPP when traveling, but it's unworkable for me at this time. So for my use case it's definitely half baked and vastly inferior.
That’s one of the first indications I have read why the MacOS is superior. It looks like FCP needs swapping when 16GB is not enough.
Can you also explain why you have problems with files. I only have problems with Microsoft Apps, and Adobe. Because they use OneDrive or they own Cloud.

Reactions: jdawgnoonan

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I prepped two conference posters (both 44"x44") on an iPad and they both printed out just great.

So much for "half-baked" and "vastly inferior", but then, I do work for a living.
Everyone has different use cases for them. You are lucky it works for you. It could never be my only computing device at this time due to the limitations I struggle with in iPadOS.

pksv

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2024
Everyone has different use cases for them. You are lucky it works for you. It could never be my only computing device at this time due to the limitations I struggle with in iPadOS.
Many people have exactly the same problems that would jump to iPad in a second if it only had some sort of macOS/macOS lite.

TheWraith

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2024
No offense, but the MK and iPad needs to be LIGHTER, significantly, than a MBA. When the two together compare to a MacBook (2.03 lbs) they will be there. A MBA is cheaper, more capable, has better battery life AND is still slightly lighter.

I say this as someone who would love an iPad and keyboard to be my ultra compact choice. They aren’t there yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrkevinfinnerty

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
So a lighter and thinner 13" ipad pro plus a new lighter keyboard= good choice making right there with the Macbook Air territory
So at this point , users chose the OS they want and not the hardware first
Well, notwithstanding the iPad has a touch screen.....

And not simply just touch, but a highly resourceful tool in the Apple Pencil Pro.

Reactions: MrGimper

Hogswarts

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2022
The current design of "13-inch" MacBook Air is actually 13.6" (albeit with a small notch). Fewer pixels than the iPad Pro but bigger.

Last edited:

Hogswarts

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2022
For reference, the ten-keyless Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Magic Trackpad have a combined weight of 463g (16-1/3 oz), which is 204g (7.2 oz) less than Jason Snell's reported weight for the 13-inch Magic Keyboard.

Last edited:

dork

macrumors regular
May 24, 2004
San Francisco
So according to math, a new 13" iPad Pro and keyboard together weigh 2.8 pounds. That's 0.1 pounds MORE than a 13" MacBook Air. Different capabilities, sure - but even with the weight reduction, this device is not a win for portability.

Reactions: TheWraith

magicvash

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2014
Seattle, WA

Whoa there. Huge overreaction and completely unnecessary to take my comment personally. Are you ok? Is everything ok in your life?

I’ve tried creating lectures on keynote. It’s a significantly superior experience on macOS. Things that take 2 steps on macOS take 5-6 on iPadOS. Something as simple as importing an image is as easy as drag and drop on macOS.

Manuscript creation is MUCH easier when you can pull up your document and 2-3 browser windows up side by side along with your excel sheet with data. Citing manuscripts is much simpler with Zotero on the Mac. Even submitting manuscripts to journals is easier:
Drag and drop onto the upload form instead of clicking each file for uploading separately.

This also isn’t just my opinion. There are several prolific tech reviewers who feel the same way. And we all work for a living.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
You could do all that on base iPad's and for them, iPadOS is absolutely fine. The argument that software is crippling them was always for iPad Pro's.
You can edit video on the Mac mini, but people still buy the Mac Pro. Same with the iPad Pro.

ttyRazor

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2019
No offense, but the MK and iPad needs to be LIGHTER, significantly, than a MBA. When the two together compare to a MacBook (2.03 lbs) they will be there. A MBA is cheaper, more capable, has better battery life AND is still slightly lighter.

I say this as someone who would love an iPad and keyboard to be my ultra compact choice. They aren’t there yet.
The keyboard needs to be heavy enough to balance with the iPad tilted back, otherwise we’d have some even crazier cantilever overhang that’d tip over too easily. Or we’re back to the keyboard folio without a trackpad, or the kickstand thin on the 10th gen.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Yes. Still heavier than the iPad Pro. Make them out of magnesium then aluminum (in Jony Ive’s voice).
If it were lighter, there’s only so many tricks you can play with the hinge to move the weight further forward to keep it from falling backwards. It’s why the new keyboard doesn’t work with the older iPad Pro or new iPad Air. It’s too light where the older Pro and new Air are heavier than the keyboard. The keyboard was probably artificially made heavier than it would have been for the sake of stability.

A lighter Pro was necessary to give more room on the keyboard for the function row and larger trackpad. If Apple had retained the older dimensions on the Pro, they’d have just stayed with the older keyboard that is missing those features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.