Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Runaway Train

macrumors member
May 20, 2023
Also disappointed that there is no new Folio keyboard. I have a 2018 12,9 iPad pro and the Folio after 5+ years of loyal service, wear and tear, finally died. The new Magic Keyboard does look awesome but my Folio has survived spilled coffee, food, dropped, flopped, you name it. Have a feeling that the new Magic Keyboard may not be that robust…also Folio, lite weight champion….

MyOwnDrummer

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2022
USA
I don't understand the bitterness at Apple for not making the iPad on par with the MacBook. Apparently some people are unable to understand this, but it's two different products. Each product group has specific use cases. While there is some overlap, they are still different.

You may think I am stating the obvious, but there's a lot of people that don't understand this, so I am explaining it real simple like for those people.

(it would be appropriate to read the above with hints of sarcasm in the tone)

soldano

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
Apple not producing a Smart Folio keyboard for this generation of iPad pros really pisses me off. I have zero interest in the Magic Keyboard - if I want a device as large and heavy as MK + iPad PRO I’ll just use my MacBook! No Smart Folio keyboard, NO CARE.

Reactions: rkuo

TheWraith

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2024
The keyboard needs to be heavy enough to balance with the iPad tilted back, otherwise we’d have some even crazier cantilever overhang that’d tip over too easily. Or we’re back to the keyboard folio without a trackpad, or the kickstand thin on the 10th gen.

Hey, I don't want to be a jerk, but if this is true...you're designing it wrong.

Like, go back to the drawing board and work the problem. Maybe your floating ipad idea looks cool, but fails to deliver—it certainly fails right now on portability.

OR, take a different approach and push THAT as your actual portable solution.

right now it's actually less weight to bring an apple keyboard, an apple trackpad, AND a smart cover and just use it that way. that's insane.

when the ipad's keyboard/trackpad solution is light enough that the whole thing = a 12" Macbook, you will have a winner. Until then it's a fun toy, but not serious.

TheWraith

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2024
I don't understand the bitterness at Apple for not making the iPad on par with the MacBook. Apparently some people are unable to understand this, but it's two different products. Each product group has specific use cases. While there is some overlap, they are still different.

Totaly! Like the iPad Pro with MK is for people whose use case is they would like the thinnest, lightest advanced tablet with a keyboard/trackpad case that makes is heavier than a MacBook! That's a huge product group, they love that.

pksv

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2024

You may think I am stating the obvious, but there's a lot of people that don't understand this, so I am explaining it real simple like for those people.

(it would be appropriate to read the above with hints of sarcasm in the tone)
I think the one who doesn't understand might be you ;)
Users don't want the iPad to become a Mac, they just want it to become more capable. Virtually all reviews and a lot of users, apart from cartoonists and illustrators, say this.
How Apple will achieve this is of course their role, it may be by making a version of iPadOSPro or a macOS Lite option with touch support. Currently, despite the fantastic hardware in the Pro, the difference between the basic iPad and the Pro in capabilities is minimal.

DaniTheFox

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2023
Switzerland
I think the one who doesn't understand might be you ;)
Users don't want the iPad to become a Mac, they just want it to become more capable. Virtually all reviews and a lot of users, apart from cartoonists and illustrators, say this.
How Apple will achieve this is of course their role, it may be by making a version of iPadOSPro or a macOS Lite option with touch support. Currently, despite the fantastic hardware in the Pro, the difference between the basic iPad and the Pro in capabilities is minimal.
But isn’t it also the case with MacOS. The difference running it on the Mac mini and the Mac Pro is minimal. Only there are more or less ports.

pksv

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2024
But isn’t it also the case with MacOS. The difference running it on the Mac mini and the Mac Pro is minimal. Only there are more or less ports.
Before clicking post I thought about adding that bit of information, I knew there would be someone mentioning it 😁

The difference is that macOS is limitless, while ipadOS is very limited. It's such a simple concept, I'm dumbfounded that we have to argue or even discuss it. More capable ipadOS will be beneficial for all users yet some people here are like hard NO to that concept.

Reactions: DaniTheFox
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.