Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlanMarron

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2023
What nonsense. You have an ancient device. Get a new one and see for yourself. It will be a tremendous upgrade from an iPhone 8. And if you buy from Apple there’s a return period just in case you like your ancient tech any better.
Ancient? My 8+ is perfectly serviceable and younger than my car, motorcycle, TV, microwave, refrigerator, and bath towels ;). My MacBook Pro from 2009 is kinda dated but I use it several times a week. I’m not even sure that the church in which I worship is ancient—it was built in the 1700s when Mexico was still an extension of Spain.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Ancient? My 8+ is perfectly serviceable and younger than my car, motorcycle, TV, microwave, refrigerator, and bath towels ;). My MacBook Pro from 2009 is kinda dated but I use it several times a week. I’m not even sure that the church in which I worship is ancient—it was built in the 1700s when Mexico was still an extension of Spain.

Ancient in comparison to what is current. And yes, a smartphone that is 7 or 8 generations old is ancient in comparison. You may attach a different word if that eases the question of out-of-dateness for you.
Besides, as an owner of both an 8+ and a 15 Pro Max, ancient is the feeling I am left with after using it.

AlanMarron

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2023
Ancient in comparison to what is current. And yes, a smartphone that is 7 or 8 generations old is ancient in comparison. You may attach a different word if that eases the question of out-of-dateness for you.
Besides, as an owner of both an 8+ and a 15 Pro Max, ancient is the feeling I am left with after using

Last edited:
Reactions: WarmWinterHat

WarmWinterHat

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2015
Besides, as an owner of both an 8+ and a 15 Pro Max, ancient is the feeling I am left with after using it.

I can use an 8 or a 15 Pro Max and shrug my shoulders, because aside from the button, they don't feel very different. It's still a rectangle screen with a grid of icons that open apps, the bottom row is the same, the top bar is the same, the apps are the same, controls are the same.

You may feel a huge difference, but many don't.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I can use an 8 or a 15 Pro Max and shrug my shoulders, because aside from the button, they don't feel very different. It's still a rectangle screen with a grid of icons that open apps, the bottom row is the same, the top bar is the same, the apps are the same, controls are the same.

It’s pretty well established that this is a plateaued product. What groundbreaking refinement do you expect? Still, it has a way better screen, pro motion on top, Face ID, action button, more screen real estate, dramatically more ram and overall performance, a way better camera system, speakers, etc. Does it reinvent the wheel? No, and it doesn’t have to. But discarding 6-8 generations is pretty wild by today’s standards. Cara still have four wheels also and no one goes out pretending that the form factor needs to change.

WarmWinterHat

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2015
It’s pretty well established that this is a plateaued product. What groundbreaking refinement do you expect? Still, it has a way better screen, pro motion on top, Face ID, action button, more screen real estate, dramatically more ram and overall performance, a way better camera system, speakers, etc. Does it reinvent the wheel? No, and it doesn’t have to. But discarding 6-8 generations is pretty wild by today’s standards. Cara still have four wheels also and no one goes out pretending that the form factor needs to change.

I'm not complaining that it hasn't changed, I'm just saying that an 8 doesn't feel ancient. I'm quite happy with much slower phone changes and subsequently less upgrading. As far as I'm concerned, keeping your phone 3-5 years should be the standard.

Last edited:

Chuckeee

macrumors 68030
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
There is no issue. As long as it works for you keep it.

Reactions: AlanMarron

AlanMarron

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2023
I'm not complaining that it hasn't changed, I'm just saying that an 8 doesn't feel ancient. I'm quite happy with much slower phone changes and subsequently less upgrading. As far as I'm concerned, keeping your phone 3-5 years should be the standard.
I’m using my 8+ right now and it exudes quality that my SE2 and my wife’s 12 does not.

We always focus on what is gained and never what is lost. I miss the fact that with a notch, I don’t have a continually visible reminder that I’m using VPN—going from wifi to AT&T (Mexico) with VPN active causes an unrecoverable hiccup that requires a restart.
To each his/her own. Upgrade or don’t.

• Love

SteveJawbs

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2022

Exactly.

I have some nuances with my 8 but it amazes me it works fine 7 years after buying it. Gotta hand it to Apple. A windows desktop would never have this level of reliability and I’m a Windows hoar.

It’s fast and nearly flawless.

I just want a new camera more than anything.

My concerns are transferring all settings and apps.

My work has tons of MFA tied to it.

What do you guys think about transferring 8 to 16 metadata?

Any worries?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Exactly.

I have some nuances with my 8 but it amazes me it works fine 7 years after buying it. Gotta hand it to Apple. A windows desktop would never have this level of reliability and I’m a Windows hoar.

It’s fast and nearly flawless.

I just want a new camera more than anything.

My concerns are transferring all settings and apps.

My work has tons of MFA tied to it.

What do you guys think about transferring 8 to 16 metadata?

Any worries?
I’ve never had any issues with 2FA credentials not moving over. Probably depends on what you’re using though. Microsoft’s worked last I remember.

SteveJawbs

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2022
I’ve never had any issues with 2FA credentials not moving over. Probably depends on what you’re using though. Microsoft’s worked last I remember.

Yeah. I am backing up to iCloud with the checkbox but having to reset Microsoft MFA can be such a massive heavy lift for me that I fear the worst.

I have 25 Azure MFA accounts.

I would be suicidal if I lost these or F’d them up.

Let’s say all goes to hell with the 16 - how easy is it to go back to the 8?

I see it should be pretty simple in my Google travels but just need moar assurance.

My 8 is so god damn flawless I just want my transition to a 16 to not have any issues.

I have multiple iTunes backups on iMac and Windows.

Will hope for the best.

I’m gonna waste the $1300 on an unnecessary 16 Pro.

It blows my mind how flawless my 8 has been over all these years.

Apple deserves so much credit for their reliability. Truly is astonishing how reliable this MF phone has been.

Flawless. Still fast. Still works.

dmdcash

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2017
I’m close to dead and have watched society become obsessed with “the new” to the point of unrecoverable debt. Sorry that you have thin skin.
And I worked my butt off all my life so I can enjoy things that I like. Just because YOU don't have the money/want to spend money doesn't mean ALL OF SOCIETY is mortgaging their futures to afford things.

The_Martini_Cat

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2015
Finally, a camera button! Also, 5x zoom in Pro, w/ larger screen in Pro. I'm going for it while my trade-in on the 15 pro max is still substantial.

AlanMarron

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2023
And I worked my butt off all my life so I can enjoy things that I like. Just because YOU don't have the money/want to spend money doesn't mean ALL OF SOCIETY is mortgaging their futures to afford things.
I’m sorry that you’ve confused my value system with my wealth. :)

I believe that this thread began with questions about the relative value of a 16 Pro. I interjected the matter of debt because the combined government, corporate, and personal debt of the USA is staggering. By my measure, half of American shouldn’t even consider a new iPhone.

But to the essential question: is a 16 Pro a good value, esp if one has a 14 or 15 Pro? Everyone’s answer will be different in a free society. $1,000 bucks means something different to me than it does to you and the next guy and the next gal.

The thread began with a WTF. For the first poster, a 16 Pro isn’t different enough to spend good money for an upgrade. Others have suggested that to them, it’s a good purchase.

Me, I’m a traditionalist. I never overbuy and I always save pesos for a rainy day. My 32” 720p Samsung is plenty good for the few hours I watch it each month. But I wear my Apple Watch 24/7 and will buy a 10 in place of my perfectly good 9. We all have different preferences.

I appreciate 99% of the posts on MacRumors. Keep up the good work. 👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.