Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014
bc simple.

apple is a monopoly and they dontr need to innovate anymore. their priority is extraction of value from existing mfg processes and existing component orders such that they can kick the "inflation" can down the road.

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
“Hardware defect” is perhaps a bit melodramatic. I somewhat agree with you regarding efficiency of chip, but the M3 MacBook Pro doesn’t suffer from any overheating issues. The iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max overheating issue is more related to the switch to the titanium frame with aluminum substructure than the N3 chip in and of itself, in my opinion. In any case, between an improved thermal design + the N3E chip, I’m fully expecting the iPhone 16 Pro/Pro Max to put this issue to rest. That’s a big reason why I upgraded, and if it doesn’t meet my expectations then it may be returned (although let’s be honest, there’s other cool new features as well).
The M3 Pro was nerfed compared to the M2 Pro and M1 Pro. The M1 Pro had 8 performance cores and 2 efficiency cores, M2 Pro had 8 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores, and M3 Pro has 6 performance cores and 6 efficiency cores. I've seen reports of people getting better performance out of the M2 Pro over an M3 Pro. There was also fewer GPU cores in the M3 Pro, and they bizarrely dropped the memory bandwidth on the M3 Pro and binned M3 Max. All these backwards steps signal they had serious issues with either M3's design or the 3nm node they were using.

This review notes thermal and cooling issues for the M3 Max in the 14" format.

I think it was basic physics that titanium is going to have less cooling ability than aluminum, by quite a large factor, and it seems Apple inconceivably didn't compensate for this enough with the 15 Pros. But now that they showcased a solution in the keynote, it shouldn't be a problem anymore.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
So is the 16 pro crap based on all the comments?

I’m thinking of upgrading my 8.

Should I wait for the 17 Ultra Pro?

So scared of the future if the 16 is already being disparaged and maligned.

Wow.

Probably isn’t “crap” to someone coming from an older phone like your 8 it’s a massive upgrade, if you can wait another year you’re even better off.

It appears that the rumors of an ultra-model phone from Apple will not materialize. I had hoped that they would create something similar to the Apple Watch and would have gladly paid hundreds more for one.

The primary concern for me is that Apple seems content to settle for mediocrity. I understand that many individuals here are inclined to defend everything Apple does and assert that there is no further progress possible in the smartphone industry. However, this perspective is merely a product of limited imagination. Technology and innovation never cease; while certain aspects may reach a point where further advancements are minimal, it is erroneous to believe that the iPhone is an unparalleled technological marvel incapable of improvement. I can readily identify numerous enhancements that could be implemented, and in many instances, inexpensive Android phones outperform the iPhone. This situation is particularly perplexing given that Apple holds the distinction of being the wealthiest company in history. I am confident that they possess the resources and expertise to achieve greater heights.

While I had hoped that Apple would establish itself as the industry leader and surpass its competitors, my observations suggest that they are merely attempting to appease Wall Street and maximize their profit margins by minimizing their efforts.

The advancement of chips has undoubtedly occurred, and until the next breakthrough, we can anticipate incremental improvements year after year. I have forgotten the specific name of the future chip technology I am referring to. However, there is substantial information circulating in this area, rendering its immediate necessity questionable. What is truly required is an increase in RAM, which is inexpensive and addresses numerous issues. The competition has already surpassed Apple’s commitment to their flagship device.

Regarding the screen, a higher resolution would not provide significant benefits. However, there are several innovative technologies currently in development that promise thinner, more efficient, and brighter displays with enhanced color capabilities. If Apple fails to acquire companies developing these technologies, it demonstrates a lack of foresight.

Certainly, the camera(s) are undoubtedly the most popular feature of smartphones, and It is unlikely that technological advancements in this area will experience a significant slowdown in the foreseeable future. While Apple’s camera system undergoes a relatively slow pace of updates, a comparison I saw between the 15 Pro Max and a Chinese phone revealed a remarkable disparity in performance. Despite the limitations imposed by physics, there is still considerable room for improvement in sensor technology. However, it is unfortunate that Apple consistently reuses the same sensors year after year. It appears that mediocrity has become the prevailing strategy for American corporations.

Didn’t mean to write you a novel, just sharing some thoughts on the situation.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
"Tim Cook has ruined the company" is an absurd comment about someone having grown the world's biggest most successful tech company.
From 2012 till now, Apple has grown and improved so much, both in terms of product lines, hardware and software, and of course, financially. I think Tim is a decent CEO. However, what worries me is that we are going to the post-Tim era. Tim is getting old. At some point in time he will get tired of running the company day to day and delegate to some other people. This will be the real challenge for Apple.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Probably isn’t “crap” to someone coming from an older phone like your 8 it’s a massive upgrade, if you can wait another year you’re even better off.

If s/he is coming from an iPhone 8, anything will be a massive upgrade. I think the disappointment comes from Apple’s biggest fans which upgrade their phone every year. For me, from 13P to 14P was a very big disappointment, from the 14P to 15PM was a very big improvement. But 15PM to 16PM… uhh I can’t really think of any point to upgrade... I’m afraid I would repeat the disappointment from the 13P to 14P. So finally I decided to hold off this year. For the first time in 15 years.

Reactions: 3Rock and welles13

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
Even though I would still go for the pro max model but the rumored iPhone 17 “Air” which is a thinner and redesigned version of the base phones could be tempting.

Having camera improvements on both the front and back cameras. 24 MP front camera and 48 MP rear telephoto camera.

The bump up to 12GB of RAM and the A19 chip where performance will be better than A18. So Apple intelligence, gaming, and other things will perform better.

Smaller Dynamic Island due to revamped Face ID hardware which admittedly is minor but any reduction in the notch is appreciated.

Also, the rumor of tougher glass which again is minor but any improvements to durability are a plus.

Plus all the improvements and bug fixes from this year's 16 pro models. So the bigger screen and camera button and any other surprises Apple may have up their sleeve.

If I had a 14 or older the current iPhone 16 would be a no-brainer. But many tech sites, YouTubers, and more agree if you have a 15 pro model upgrading to the 16 pro is very minor and you aren’t missing out on much.
The rumors I've seen for an "iPhone 17 Air" say it will be thinner and lighter than existing iPhones, sure. But it also says it will have only a single rear camera in the middle. This seems to indicate the camera on a 17 Air wouldn't have a telephoto lens. The reporting from Gurman is that this iPhone would also be less powerful than a Pro iPhone. "If you want something snazzier than a standard iPhone — but don’t really need the performance, screen size or cameras of a Pro model — you can get something that looks much cooler while still having the specifications of a regular iPhone." I personally don't see the appeal of a compromised device like that, and reducing weight probably means much less battery life.

The glass already got tougher this year, they called it out. I don't expect to see annual improvements to Ceramic Shield because this was the first year in a few that they mentioned an improvement. As far as RAM, I feel like we might see some diminishing returns going to 12GB as opposed to going from 6GB to 8GB, because iOS manages memory differently from macOS. It would be a different story on Macs though. 12GB or 16GB starting RAM would be helpful there.

It's too early to take into account what tech sites and YouTubers have to say. They haven't gotten to review the phones yet, NDA hasn't lifted. People who are on the fence about a year over year upgrade should wait for full reviews. Like you said, anyone with a 14 or previous series is getting a big upgrade.

As far as the person claiming to have an iPhone 8 and cancelling their order based on people's comments, I feel like they're trolling. Going from a 4.7" screen to a 6.3" screen is transformational. When I go back to using an SE, I can barely type on the phone and have trouble with the interface. Night Mode is a huge leap for low light photos or indoor photos. Pictures that would be completely impossible due to lighting conditions in older iPhones are now easy to capture. Going from LED to OLED screen makes the experience so much better. The screen is actually readable outdoors now. I can attach a USB-C flash drive to my phone and instantly copy photos or files to and fro. ProMotion makes the display feel much smoother and a nicer experience. 5G is much better for downloading apps, videos, or video calls. Plus RCS is coming to iOS 18, which isn't supported by iPhone 8.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
On the other hand, we have articles like this.

Users are starting to consider the non-pro iPhone models because they feel over-served by the more powerful iPhones. In short, smartphones are now at a point where they are "too good" for the user. I suspect Apple realises this too, and the challenge is not in simply chasing the spec race, but in coming up with new features that are actually meaningful to the end user.
Well Apples marketing dept was “clever “ they reduced the 16 plus battery capacity and didn’t apply promotion to the non pro models. Even one of two items aforementioned would have put a huge dent in their Pro sales. Just my logical opinion.

Bungaree.Chubbins

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2024
The rumors I've seen for an "iPhone 17 Air" say it will be thinner and lighter than existing iPhones, sure. But it also says it will have only a single rear camera in the middle. This seems to indicate the camera on a 17 Air wouldn't have a telephoto lens. The reporting from Gurman is that this iPhone would also be less powerful than a Pro iPhone. "If you want something snazzier than a standard iPhone — but don’t really need the performance, screen size or cameras of a Pro model — you can get something that looks much cooler while still having the specifications of a regular iPhone." I personally don't see the appeal of a compromised device like that, and reducing weight probably means much less battery life.

The glass already got tougher this year, they called it out. I don't expect to see annual improvements to Ceramic Shield because this was the first year in a few that they mentioned an improvement. As far as RAM, I feel like we might see some diminishing returns going to 12GB as opposed to going from 6GB to 8GB, because iOS manages memory differently from macOS. It would be a different story on Macs though. 12GB or 16GB starting RAM would be helpful there.

It's too early to take into account what tech sites and YouTubers have to say. They haven't gotten to review the phones yet, NDA hasn't lifted. People who are on the fence about a year over year upgrade should wait for full reviews. Like you said, anyone with a 14 or previous series is getting a big upgrade.

As far as the person claiming to have an iPhone 8 and cancelling their order based on people's comments, I feel like they're trolling. Going from a 4.7" screen to a 6.3" screen is transformational. When I go back to using an SE, I can barely type on the phone and have trouble with the interface. Night Mode is a huge leap for low light photos or indoor photos. Pictures that would be completely impossible due to lighting conditions in older iPhones are now easy to capture. Going from LED to OLED screen makes the experience so much better. The screen is actually readable outdoors now. I can attach a USB-C flash drive to my phone and instantly copy photos or files to and fro. ProMotion makes the display feel much smoother and a nicer experience. 5G is much better for downloading apps, videos, or video calls. Plus RCS is coming to iOS 18, which isn't supported by iPhone 8.
If the rumoured "17 Air" does have a single camera, if that camera is flush to the back of the phone, I will be sorely tempted! I don't care if it's not as good as the others. If it's better than the iPhone 5 camera, it'll be fine for me. I just hope the battery life isn't too compromised.

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
If the rumoured "17 Air" does have a single camera, if that camera is flush to the back of the phone, I will be sorely tempted! I don't care if it's not as good as the others. If it's better than the iPhone 5 camera, it'll be fine for me. I just hope the battery life isn't too compromised.
I can’t see us ever going back to the days of flush cameras. Everyone has camera bumps now, Google, Samsung, and the rest. They’re needed so the lens has enough distance to focus the light properly.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
So is the 16 pro crap based on all the comments?

I’m thinking of upgrading my 8.

Should I wait for the 17 Ultra Pro?

So scared of the future if the 16 is already being disparaged and maligned.

Wow.

What nonsense. You have an ancient device. Get a new one and see for yourself. It will be a tremendous upgrade from an iPhone 8. And if you buy from Apple there’s a return period just in case you like your ancient tech any better.

WarmWinterHat

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2015
First time since the 3GS I haven’t upgraded. This speaks to the comfortable mediocrity Apple has found itself in. Excuse me while I rewatch another iconic Steve keynote.

I think it speaks more to a mature and saturated market where new smartphones aren't the hot and interesting item anymore.

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
First time since the 3GS I haven’t upgraded. This speaks to the comfortable mediocrity Apple has found itself in. Excuse me while I rewatch another iconic Steve keynote.
I think you need to go back and take a hard look at the iPhone 14 Pro. One of the worst YoY upgrades for the Pro model Apple has done. Can you name any big upgrades from that year?

Bungaree.Chubbins

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2024
I think you need to go back and take a hard look at the iPhone 14 Pro. One of the worst YoY upgrades for the Pro model Apple has done. Can you name any big upgrades from that year?
Or the base 14! It’s just a 13 in different colours, with an extra GPU core, crash detection, and emergency sos via satellite. That’s it.

I love my 14, but had to have been the most anemic year-on-year upgrade the iPhone has seen!

SteveJawbs

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2022
What nonsense. You have an ancient device. Get a new one and see for yourself. It will be a tremendous upgrade from an iPhone 8. And if you buy from Apple there’s a return period just in case you like your ancient tech any better.

My 8 can text, email, browse, pics, YouTube and new battery has 100%

Just very corn fused about what to do.

Reactions: Bungaree.Chubbins

Treborray

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2024
Philadelphia
what model are you coming from?
I have the 13 Pro. I wanted to use it for review material plus I shoot my videos with my phone. My 13 Pro does exactly what I need it to do so I was hoping the 16 Pro would have had atleast 1 feature that I won me over. I watched every second of that event and even did a recap to make sure I didnt miss anything lol

Reactions: shr631

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
I have the 13 Pro. I wanted to use it for review material plus I shoot my videos with my phone. My 13 Pro does exactly what I need it to do so I was hoping the 16 Pro would have had atleast 1 feature that I won me over. I watched every second of that event and even did a recap to make sure I didnt miss anything lol
i miss my 13 pro max, rip sierra blue. i went for the 14pm and it was less than stellar, now on 15 pro which is fine I suppose but the battery is weak.

well you’ll probably notice a nice refresh with the look and feel of the 16 pro, so it’ll still be a nice upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.