Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StuBFrost

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2016
Manchester, England
I’ve got a 15 pro and did a preorder for a 16 pro as I’ve upgraded every year. Finally had a look at what has changed and decided not to bother to upgrade so won’t be completing my order.

As I’m left handed I hold my phone in my right hand so it looks to me that the new camera button will be right under my palm all the time and I bet I’ll keep triggering it.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I’ve got a 15 pro and did a preorder for a 16 pro as I’ve upgraded every year. Finally had a look at what has changed and decided not to bother to upgrade so won’t be completing my order.

As I’m left handed I hold my phone in my right hand so it looks to me that the new camera button will be right under my palm all the time and I bet I’ll keep triggering it.
Me Too!!!

It feels very, VERY weird to say... ive had literally every model (apart from SEs and minis) since day 1.

To me, its automatic to just upgrade every year and although this year there *are* indeed changes to the pro max - the re-converging of the 'standard' iPhone to the pros (processor, camera button) make the pros a harder sell to me anyway.

But, having completed my pre-pre order as I usually do.... today I wont be going through with it.

Sure, the screen is imperceptibly bigger and the bezels are imperceptibly thinner - but these are two things ive never found myself wanting or needing as the 15 pro max is fine.
The camera button seems rather odd - I wonder If it will be seen as a boon or a novelty - feels a tad like the Touch Bar on the Macs which died a death and rather at odds with Jonny Ive's concept of distilling the design down to a slab of glass - whats with this obsession with ADDING buttons when frankly the phone's software is such now that you could in fact remove all the buttons including volume.

One thing that irks me with the 15 pro max is the overheating and looks like thats solved in the 16 but for once im not jumping on the pre-order bandwagon and feverishly refreshing the app at 12.59 to get it done.

Who knows, perhaps FOMO and reviews will change my mind but perhaps in a month or two.

The other thing is that my 15 pro max is capable of 'apple intelligence' and although technically slower than the 16 im sure it will be fine BUT lets not forget also that in the UK we wont be getting official first release until December of AI and thats only the first iteration - no image playground stuff until next year.... so all that makes the idea of buying TODAY seem a bit pointless.

lerschiboi

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2019
Don't get all the hate for the 16 Pro. Sure, if you upgrade every year and expect revolutionary new features, you're bound to be disappointed.

For me, 15 Pro to 16 Pro seems like a more significant upgrade than 14 Pro to 15 Pro.

• New Ultrawide
  • New 5x Tele (at least for me, who can’t be bothered with the Max)
  • New sensor for the primary camera
  • Capture button (even if it’s just for quickly opening the camera and taking a pic or the AI visual lookup)
  • New photographic styles
  • Better microphones (which is a big deal for me)
  • Better batteries and cooling
  • Faster charging
  • Subjective: I like the desert titanium color much more than the blue it replaces
  • A18 Pro vs A17 Pro is a bigger jump than A17 Pro vs A16
  • Thinner bezels + slightly larger screen

That said, I still might hang on to my Xs for another year to enjoy an even bigger upgrade. 😅

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
Don't get all the hate for the 16 Pro. Sure, if you upgrade every year and expect revolutionary new features, you're bound to be disappointed.

For me, 15 Pro to 16 Pro seems like a more significant upgrade than 14 Pro to 15 Pro.

• New Ultrawide
  • New 5x Tele (at least for me, who can’t be bothered with the Max)
  • New sensor for the primary camera
  • Capture button (even if it’s just for quickly opening the camera and taking a pic or the AI visual lookup)
  • New photographic styles
  • Better microphones (which is a big deal for me)
  • Better batteries and cooling
  • Faster charging
  • Subjective: I like the desert titanium color much more than the blue it replaces
  • A18 Pro vs A17 Pro is a bigger jump than A17 Pro vs A16
  • Thinner bezels + slightly larger screen

That said, I still might hang on to my Xs for another year to enjoy an even bigger upgrade. 😅

I hear what you’re saying but most of those are only minor things in reality. That most people with a 15 pro or pro max won’t notice if they upgrade. The phone expertise will be very similar and once the aura of “ new iPhone” wears off in two weeks, some might be disappointed in their decision to upgrade. The camera is largely the same as the 15 pro Max with only slightly better performance.

The upgrade last year in my opinion felt more substantial.

15 pro max had

-5X zoom camera
-titanium body
-A17 chip that still is better than 95% of other smartphone chips.
-USBC
-Log video recording ( if you use your iPhone for professional video shoots)
- spatial video recording for Apple Vision
-Action Button

The 16 is just slight improvements on what was in 15 pro max. But I will admit some of the improvements on the 16 pro are nice but hard to justify spending money to upgrade ( in my opinion).

But at the end of the day, people with iPhone 15 pro models are NOT the target demographic for the 16 pro models. If you have an iPhone 14 or older then absolutely the 16 and 16 pro models are worth upgrading to.

Last edited:

novagamer

macrumors regular
May 13, 2006
Maybe they're just fixing stuff and making everything more solid this year?
I’m not paying a thousand dollars (in upgrade cost over time, I buy the max storage and use it) for a damned heatsink which should have been on the old ones and was probably held back on purpose because YoY SoC performance is way down from what it used to be so they pivoted to “sustained” performance numbers to look good in the presentation.

It’s a joke, I just use the 15pm without a case and it cools off well enough.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
The biggest upgrade of the 15 pro was the lighter weight and rounded edges. It made the phone much more comfortable to use. Apple made such a big deal about titanium and reducing the weight of the pros to just add back most of the weight to get .2 inches more screen. It doesn’t make any sense to me. I may upgrade next year to the standard 17 if it gets 120hz or the 17 slim if it’s not huge but I’m done with pros until they lose some more weight.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
The biggest upgrade of the 15 pro was the lighter weight and rounded edges. It made the phone much more comfortable to use. Apple made such a big deal about titanium and reducing the weight of the pros to just add back most of the weight to get .2 inches more screen. It doesn’t make any sense to me. I may upgrade next year to the standard 17 if it gets 120hz or the 17 slim if it’s not huge but I’m done with pros until they lose some more weight.
Well, if the 16 Pro was made out of stainless steel, then it would still be much heavier with a larger screen. The titanium still keeps it lighter than the stainless steel would be.. besides it only went up just a several grams. We probably will not notice.

Reactions: haruhiko

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Well, if the 16 Pro was made out of stainless steel, then it would still be much heavier with a larger screen. The titanium still keeps it lighter than the stainless steel would be.. besides it only went up just a several grams. We probably will not notice.
The 14pro to 15pro went down 19 grams and it was a noticeable improvement. The 15pro to 16pro went back up 12 grams so they knocked out most of that improvement. It would definitely be noticeable to me. What I really don’t understand is the new iPad Pro - thinner and lighter, the new Apple Watch 10 - thinner and lighter, the new iPhone pro - bigger and heavier. It just seems to be a step backwards to me.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The 14pro to 15pro went down 19 grams and it was a noticeable improvement. The 15pro to 16pro went back up 12 grams so they knocked out most of that improvement. It would definitely be noticeable to me. What I really don’t understand is the new iPad Pro - thinner and lighter, the new Apple Watch 10 - thinner and lighter, the new iPhone pro - bigger and heavier. It just seems to be a step backwards to me.
I wish it didn’t pack on weight but perhaps they refined weight distribution even more?

I wish someone had a 15 pro in hand and directly compared and commented on the in hand feel from Mondays event. Seems not a single person has / well know soon enough

I’m coming from 14 pm so will be an improvement but I can understand the hesitation for 15 pro users

Reactions: mjpearce023

raylo32

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2018
Many of you guys crack me up buying a new one of these every year and expecting... what, exactly? I am upgrading from a 5 (or 6?) year old XR and the changes on offer are still just incremental. Better cams, better battery life, sharper screen, some new buttons, AI (I could give a ****). But the bottom line is that 16s will still not do much more than my XR does. And certainly less of anything as compared to models newer than my XR.

Last edited:

andrewv69

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2021
Outer Space
Was on the fence about upgrading from my 13 PM. My main upgrade want has been the 48MP sensors for photo/video use. Very disappointed to see no 48MP sensor in the 5x - I love using the tele lens for getting pics/video of birds and landscapes, and the 48MP sensor would make a big difference there. The 12MP just doesn't cut it, its like a fake 4K thats very blurry on anything larger than a phone screen, and not suitable for "serious" work. I hardly use the ultrawide and don't know of many who do, but I suspect a lot of "influencers" do and apple is prioritizing them first.

Personally I don't care at all about the AI - from the few times I've tried the various "assistants" they don't really make a difference for me. Though it's not surprising, since we live in the new dotcom era where anything AI is the cool new thing that gets all the investors going wild.

Titanium is cool and sure there's some weight savings but remember its just the band around the phone - barely makes any difference.

The 16 PM battery does look very appealing, I have definitely gotten used to the 13 PM's all day battery life. IIRC, the 14 PM actually has (or had) worse battery life. Will be interested to see the battery life tests coming soon.

If I do upgrade, it's going to be to a 1TB 15 Pro Max and I'll pocket the savings.

Reactions: Abazigal

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Hey y’all, I feel the same way as a lot of the previous posters. I have upgraded every single year since the iPhone 6 Plus when I fully committed to the iOS ecosystem. This year I’m just not into it. Now I will admit if I was still in the IUP program, it would be a no-brainer, but having switched to AT&T and on the original Att Next Program I would need to pay and $280 to pay off 1/2 the phone plus what ever the upgrade fees might be. It’s almost 4 pm PST and so far I’m holding strong.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
15 pro to 16pro. The phone design is partially new. Bigger screen and slightly bigger phone. New smart camera button. That is the main difference from last year.

14pro to 15pro the use of Titanium. And the action button(big deal) and USB c. Thats about it.

But people were excited to upgrade last year. This year is a much better and bigger upgrade than last year. The size of the screen has not been changed in 7 years!

Stop whining already. My goodness.🤣

Do you decided to keep your phone another year. Next year you will be jumping for joy at even less upgrades.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2016
USA
15 Pro/Pro Max ran hot. Also battery life not great in my experience, although to be fair I use my phone a lot. 15%-19% more battery life and running cooler is a pretty big QoL update in my opinion. It's far from ground breaking and most will recommend not upgrading coming from 15P/PM, but you also have considered trade-in values are maximized in this first iteration...I am on the fence personally. My 15PM runs warmer than I'd like.
What did Apple say about "15 Pro/Pro Max ran hot?" Did you ask? My experience using 15PM hard is that it gets hot only due to hard usage like constant photography or due to user error like failing to turn off an app like Photos after use. IMO the amount of computing the 15PM is capable of w/o problematic overheating is mind-boggling.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
what were you expecting? lol, all phones have slowed down in innovation, even samsung is barely making strides now yet following apple in jacking up price and squeezing the customer

that said i did order a 16 Pro max 256GB lol. from a 11 Pro max = definite no brainer.
year on year upgrade for people is just plain stupid in general in 2024, you're throwing more money away for no reason.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2016
USA
That’s all fine but the newest iOS rolls out features that make a year old phone useless.

iPhone 15 buyers got royally screwed and I’m one of them.
Interesting. I went from iPhone 14 Pro to iPhone 15 Pro Max and definitely do not feel like I "got royally screwed." I think it is an absolutely superb phone. I will need to handle the 16PM with its new button and image capture capability to see if it is worth upgrading, but I expect that for me it probably will be another good upgrade..

Reactions: TVreporter

novagamer

macrumors regular
May 13, 2006
They did it so next year will be an even bigger improvement and push you to the “Air” / Ultra or whatever they’ll call it.

Same reason no heatsink in the 15 pros, the SoC % improvement is low so they crippled it with poor thermals and got their 20%+ numbers to throw on a slide for the 16 pro “sustained performance” when in reality it’s only marginally faster, it just has an actual cooling solution.

Apple plans out products years in advance and has done this for decades, iBooks were artificially crippled with external displays for years pre-intel as one example that jumps to mind, but their “no compromise” products used to actually be that, and still are in rare cases like the iPhone X at the time and arguably the iPad 2018, but it is a lot more rare now outside of the occasional Mac.

It’s unfortunate the Windows ecosystem is so terrible, Linux is still a mess if you aren’t technical and/or only use basic computing features, and Android has been shepherded poorly. We’re all stuck in this never-ending cycle and we put up with it because there is no good comparable choice. I’m not giving up iCloud Photos / cloud encryption / notes / messages / media and so forth just because their product decisions are so blatantly anti-consumer, but a small part of me is pretty glad they’re getting their ass handed to them by the EU even if I disagree with some of the details.

I hope sales are below expectations (as they were with Vision Pro) and they make some radical changes internally.

I don’t begrudge anyone upgrading, it’s your money to do with what you want, enjoy your new devices. But $900 phones with 60hz screens from the wealthiest company in the world, poor / forced AI implementation that is obviously designed to keep shareholders happy instead of being implemented for technically sound reasons, and this multi-year we’ll give you almost enough continually… well, we know why they’re wealthy. And that’s not even getting into the services BS they pull now.

I still like their devices and products but I tolerate them more every year instead of enjoy them. I can’t wait until leadership changes, and I’m not a shareholder anymore so I don’t care if making better decisions costs them some margin, they need to put customers first.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Many of you guys crack me up buying a new one of these every year and expecting... what, exactly? I am upgrading from a 5 (or 6?) year old XR and the changes on offer are still just incremental. Better cams, better battery life, sharper screen, some new buttons, AI (I could give a ****). But the bottom line is that 16s will still not do much more than my XR does. And certainly less of anything as compared to models newer than my XR.
The screen on the XR was not that good even in 2018’s standard. I remember that it’s a lower resolution LED screen it’s not even OLED. So the jump to the latest phones? It’s not incremental. It’s really big.

Reactions: welles13

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
what were you expecting? lol, all phones have slowed down in innovation, even samsung is barely making strides now yet following apple in jacking up price and squeezing the customer

that said i did order a 16 Pro max 256GB lol. from a 11 Pro max = definite no brainer.
year on year upgrade for people is just plain stupid in general in 2024, you're throwing more money away for no reason.
Samsung always followed Apple. 🤣

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.