Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
You won't.
I'll need to schedule regular meetings to make sure I get informed about what I will and won't enjoy.

You'll be excited to unbox them, transfer and set up everything
Indeed.

but later than night you'll look at it and think "what the $%^ have I done".
This would be shockingly inconsistent with how I've felt after every other annual upgrade I've done, and I've done them all.

Of course you'll rush to tell everyone you know that you have the new iPhone 16 Pro
This would also be inconsistent with every other iPhone upgrade I've done. With the exception of the original iPhone, I don't believe I've ever made it a point to announce to the folks I know that I just got a new phone. Is this something I'm supposed to be doing? When do I start the announcements and what form should they take?

I include my current phone in my .sig here to give context of what device I have and my history with the phones. That certainly isn't a 'rush to tell everyone you know that you have the new iPhone'. I don't even know if anyone I know is on macrumors 🤔

and they won't care
Of course not. Why would anyone?

or even notice you've swapped because in a case it looks the same as iPhone 11 Pro from 6 years ago
I never use a case. See my many posts on this topic over the years.

That said, as phones have gotten closer and closer to the ideal of a thin slab of glass, there will be fewer and fewer physically distinguishing features from one model to the next. But again, this falls under the 'why should anyone care' umbrella.

they'll ask you to show off these "apple intelligence" features but you'll explain you can't yet because Apple is hard at work making sure they're perfect and they didn't drop the ball on AI while focusing on Tims vanity project goggles and missed the boat and now rushing to get AI out over the next 12 months.
In all my years of owning the most recent flagship iPhone (this will be my 18th iPhone if my count is correct, which translates to 17 iPhone upgrades), I don't recall anyone asking me to show them something the new phone does. There have been times when someone has asked how to do XYZ on their phone, but no one has ever asked me "hey, show off the latest thingy for me, please!". Maybe I need more intrusive friends.

AI is in its infancy. Other providers and/or software packages have been including AI-ish things for a short period of time, sure, but no one has 'dropped the ball' whether that be Apple, or Samsung, or Microsoft, or whoever people wanna name. It's simply too new of a technology that people are still working on good, functional implementations for. No one else that's doing AI-foo in their software/services, no one, has developed the end-all be-all AI-powered product that has caught their competitors flatfooted, giving them a huge lead. Apple Intelligence won't do that for Apple, either. I have been enjoying the little slice we're seeing in the 18.1 betas, but even when they've released it in its entirety it's their first foray into an integrated wholistic solution (rather than piece-meal micro-assistants) and it will not be anywhere near a final effort.

then you'll come on here and tell everyone how amazing it is and how INCREDIBLE the camera button is that you'll use maybe 7 times (mostly in demos to people who don't care and can't tell you've upgraded) and then never use it again because its slower and clumsy compared to just using the actual screen.
Unlikely. I don't recall doing that with any other feature over the last 17 years. I could be wrong. That's a lot of posts to recollect on. I have periodically responded to threads where someone was talking about how cool or horrible some feature was to offer my perspective on said feature. But rushing to macrumors to gush about something I enjoy is not something I'm prone to do.

I have no idea how many times I'll use the Camera Control button. I take a lot of photos and video, so I'll certainly try it out a bunch. While I suspect it'll be a nice convenience when it comes to doing a super quick launch of the camera and being able to do some things single handed that are not practical now, I really have no way of knowing if that modality will be easier/more convenient for me or not. If yes, then great. Something else to enjoy. If not, no worries, I'm certainly not upgrading for that button.

Maybe I use it seven times and dismiss it after. Maybe it becomes part of my daily routine. In neither case will I start a thread anywhere about it.

All to convince yourself you haven't added to the continued failures currently blighting Apple lately by buying another iPhone that's no better than 5 years ago.
I haven't. Well, I mean, I didn't purchase a Vision Pro so I guess you can say I contributed to the not-exciting levels of sales of that product, but in general Apple has been delivering solid products over the years. The iPhones continue to do exceptionally well, as do the watches and AirPods. I won't go down the entire product line, the earnings calls cover those in more detail, but I'm not sure it's accurate to characterize Apple's recent history as blighted with failures.

Also, the 16-series phones are far, far improved over the 11-series. In fact they are objectively improved over the 15-series of phones. Maybe the level of improvement isn't to everyone's satisfaction, but it doesn't change the fact that, yes, they are improved over the previous year's offerings.

For some, those improvements aren't of value. For many of us, they are.

And for that reason, I will absolutely enjoy my new 16 Pro Max like I've enjoyed and appreciated the last 17 upgrades to iPhones I've received.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Absolutely nothing special about the Pro models this year, and they don't even keep up with the competition. Even last year's Watch Ultra 2 got the new feature tile board - but the 16 Pro is so boring they couldn't fill one. Half of the presentation spent on contrived movie and music video shoots that don't represent anyone's actual usage - I mean, you can't get those images without at least $100k in outboard gear, but who is spending that on a shoot and using an iPhone?

Still limping along on a 12 Pro, and upgrades to the camera are the one feature that will motivate me to spend on a new iPhone. Despite the rumors, I was desperately hoping Apple would come through and deliver a camera that meets my needs and goes toe to toe with the competition. Alas, we suffer once again at the hands of Apple's bean counters. It's one thing for products to plateau as technology development slows - but this is something else.

Google just released their Pixel 9, with 48mp available at each sensor for increased image quality all around. Yet here we are now with Apple's flagship phone still offering only an aging 12mp sensor for the telephoto lens. What gives?

I use the telephoto all the time, so I was hoping for a significant upgrade to finally justify the cost of a new phone. Google can now deliver a real step up in image quality, so why can't Apple?

I would love to get better pictures out of my wide and ultra-wide cameras, along with stabilization, but I can't justify the cost of a new phone that will continue to leave me disappointed with half the pictures I take. If I want the best image quality available to me right now, it looks like I will have to switch to Google. I don't want that, but I also don't want an expensive new phone that barely improves on my old one.

There is no reason Apple couldn't offer something competitive with Google except for their greed and arrogance - assuming that people will continue buying iPhones regardless of what they actually offer, even if that means missing out on features they could have if Apple was not deliberating withholding. Probably they are correct. But not with me. 12 Pro will soldier on for another year - unless I give my money to Google instead.
Why complain? Simply skip this year, or buy into Android scraping your data. Personally my guess is that the iP16 Pro Max will be a worthy upgrade from the iP15 Pro Max for my >10k annual work-related image captures, but I will need to real-world handle one first.

The main thing is that any of us can skip a year. No complaining necessary.

bcemail

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
(I couldn't directly quote @Adamhwi because the post formatting was mangled)

I got rid of all my DSLR gear because I found I was only using it when I was going somewhere for the specific purpose of shooting photos. I guess I'm not a dedicated enough hobbyist photographer because it wasn't worth it to me to walk around every day with a sling bag over my neck for my camera and a spare lens and battery. As a result, I was taking a lot more photos with my phone than with my DSLR - and as you said, the best camera is the one you have with you.

Photography is just one of many hobbies for me, and a way to document our family and friends memories. I rarely print anything and I'm not doing it for money. Modern iPhones are more than capable enough to meet my relatively simple needs, with a lot less bulk and hassle, and they produce great photos if you take the time to learn how to use them properly.
Same here, I came close to selling everything but just downsized instead. I have to plan ahead to have my camera gear with me but I always have my phone with me. I started looking up grips for the iPhone to make it closer to a camera experience. Then I was worried I would leave that at home most of the time and not have it when I "need" it.

I'll be moving from a 13 to a 16 or 16 Pro, and I'm looking forward to the new button. I much prefer the tactile feel of a physical button.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
Same here, I came close to selling everything but just downsized instead. I have to plan ahead to have my camera gear with me but I always have my phone with me. I started looking up grips for the iPhone to make it closer to a camera experience. Then I was worried I would leave that at home most of the time and not have it when I "need" it.

I'll be moving from a 13 to a 16 or 16 Pro, and I'm looking forward to the new button. I much prefer the tactile feel of a physical button.
I'm looking forward to the button too. Who knows, maybe I'll hate it once I try it, but I'm going into it with an open mind and will give it an honest shot. I have a feeling that once all the features are enabled via future iOS updates it's going to be a great addition to the phone for photographers.

Reactions: fatTribble

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Not necessarily. I'm upgrading for the bigger battery, improved mics, the wind cancellation, and the improve ultra wide since I use it a lot. I'm the main photographer for family photos of my younger kiddos, so I like having the best camera I can have in my pocket. If you got the money and can afford nice things, then there's nothing wrong with that.
For portraits you may consider longer focal lengths instead of the ultra wide. It compresses the background and gives you natural bokeh. ;)

Reactions: Bungaree.Chubbins

shadowboi

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
The only thing that got me hyped after 16 was unveiled is the new thermals so they finally will fix overheating issues that were especially present in 15/pro. But hey, can’t I just wait another year and get both this single feature and thousands more others?

ElCidRo

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2010
I was planning to upgrade my 14 Pro this year, mainly because I'm interested in the Pro Max size without increased weight (as the 14 is SS).
However the new 16 is so boring that I decided to wait another year. Especially as it looks like there will be a bigger redesign coming for the 17.
I might get the AW S10. Although I was hoping to get the Ultra 3. But I dig the new Jet Black color.

So I expect declining revenues for AAPL this year. Just by looking at my situation and the friends and family around me. I was a customer willing to spend the money on their flagship devices: Pro Max and AW Ultra. And yet it's like they went out of their way to dissuade me.

See you next year guys!

Adamhwi

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2021
For portraits you may consider longer focal lengths instead of the ultra wide. It compresses the background and gives you natural bokeh. ;)
Good point. I use the UW lens mostly for landscape and nature photos and a lot of videos because it helps me feel like I’m there when I watch it back. It feels more like what my old eyeballs saw lol.

Reactions: haruhiko

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I think blown away is an exaggeration. I look back at some photos taken with my iPhone 7 and it looks like it was taken today just with a little bit of noise added to it.

I still take really great photos with my iPhone SE1s on my daily walks

The camera improvements are nice, but it long ago reached a point that is way beyond excellent and already good enough.

Reactions: TheMountainLife

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I got so turned off by all the rumors the past few weeks I jumped the gun and got a Z Fold6. Yes I still have my 15 Pro Max, for Apple Pay Cash, Apple Card, controlling my Apple TV and home pods. I still have my love for Apple products and own more than I should between myself and the wife. She's fine with whatever phone she has and isn't overly dedicated to a manufacturer or yearly updates but she's also disappointed with this announcement. This year they basically told us you either want your phone predominantly to use as a camera and basically nothing else. We still don't have hifi Bluetooth codecs, no update to the internal dac, no new screen tech outside of size, nothing to improve the overall "smartphone" aspect. Like yes we live in a social media oriented world but the Pro moniker doesn't sllude to professional photographer/videographer. I'm glad I'm trying out android again, it's refreshing. Less battery life, no iMessage (until I set up a BlueBubbles server), and less app cohesiveness and Samsung pass is terrible compared to iCloud keychain. All in all I just had to vent these frustrations, loving apple can dosclude their phone offerings and it took this phone release to realize it.
What’s blue bubble server?

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
In years past I would still be debating whether I should fall into the hype the night before preorders. This year, I feel totally calm and confident in my decision to skip this year and upgrade to the 17 pro max/ ultra next year instead. My 15 pro max is still an excellent phone.

tommyboy9996

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2009
NJ - Ocean County
In years past I would still be debating whether I should fall into the hype the night before preorders. This year, I feel totally calm and confident in my decision to skip this year and upgrade to the 17 pro max/ ultra next year instead. My 15 pro max is still an excellent phone.
I agree, feel the same way. Just not enough here for me to make that jump from 15 PM to 16PM. This may be the first time I’ve missed since the iPhone 5, a sad day but hey we are saving money lol.

JohnC1959

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2024
I'm upgrading my 13 pro this year. I feel just fine with only updating every few years. I upgraded more often in the early days, but that's the norm for all technology. They always suck for the first some odd years until experience and the larger base of buyers allows them to innovate to something more useful. Then things settle out until something revolutionary happens like truly useful, lightweight smart glasses that are practical to wear all the time.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Will be interesting to see if they sell out instantly again this year, last year it was hard to find anything for weeks. This year unless lots of people with older phones upgrade I can’t imagine that happening.

novagamer

macrumors regular
May 13, 2006
I agree, feel the same way. Just not enough here for me to make that jump from 15 PM to 16PM. This may be the first time I’ve missed since the iPhone 5, a sad day but hey we are saving money lol.
First one I’m sitting out for a decade also. Just really, really lackluster. I can’t believe they didn’t even put the better lens in the Pro Max, margins can’t be that thin. That camera control is probably going to get used as much as the action button, read: hardly ever. Next year I think they’ll have a better story for that technology though with the ultra/air.

Apple Intelligence completely sucks outside of Siri actually understanding what I’m saying now. The results are still wrong, but at least for reminders specifically it works well. Everything else I’ve used in the 18.1 beta, and I’ve used it heavily, is something I’ll absolutely never use again.

Such a weird year for Apple, I hope the Mac lineup knocks it out of the park and has been taking resources and attention for once.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I have upgraded every year since the 3GS… so this will be the first year of me not upgrading too. Apple just couldn’t even give me a single reason to upgrade from the 15PM. To a certain extent, yeah, thanks Apple for curing FOMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.