Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerslave65

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
Sherman Oaks CA
I am going for the $1000 trade in from ATT . Purchased my 13 pro exactly 3 years ago and keeping it that long saved me $1000 last time. The phones are good enough now that the 3 year wait is not that painful. Can't wait for the photo and video features!

Reactions: onenorth and 3Rock

novagamer

macrumors regular
May 13, 2006
"Tim Cook has ruined the company" is an absurd comment about someone having grown the world's biggest most successful tech company.
Not for investors, but for consumers and arguably internally a lot of decisions have been terrible. 10 billion dollars on the car project, shipping Vision Pro well before it was consumer-ready, being so focused on tooling and logistics costs that they shipped 3-4 version of a defective keyboard for 5 years, etc.

Steve Jobs had a lot of faults, but knowing what a good product was is not one of them, and he would have never shipped that keyboard for years with defect rates that high. There’s a reason the Verizon iPhone 4 got fixed in what had to be weeks of internal development time once the antenna thing was affecting a broad consumer base. He cared about the experience across all their devices.

Tim Cook uses an iPad, and someone sold him on a weird idea of what the Vision Pro would eventually be and he pulled the trigger to try to get some legacy out the door before he retired and it fell on its face. He is excellent at driving profits but not at leading the industry in Taste. That’s a rare talent and they should have kept Tony Fadell over Jony Ive IMO, because he was only great if he had someone to counterbalance him. Tony had the taste thing down in a way Steve did, and maybe someone internally does now – the hardware design has gotten back on track – but the decision making is all logistics and profit maximization.

I like Craig but I think he’s spread way too thin and he’s crippled by shareholder demands funneled through Tim, there’s no way he would have wanted to ship 5 iterations of Apple intelligence in one year. It’s not ready, I’m using it, and it is very bad even taking into account the constraints of LLMs and the technology behind them. It isn’t even trained on Apple’s own shows, it told me the premiere for the second season of Severance was 2 years ago when I asked recently.

There’s no question Apple is successful, but they aren’t giving their A game on anything except hardware and primarily in the iPad, Mac, and AirPods which are all great and do improve rapidly.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
Samsung always followed Apple. 🤣
Yea exactly especially with the removal of jack and adding in additional storage... This used to be what pissed all over apple but to be honest I never missed the headphone jack. Made more sense on a Macbook Pro when you're at home and have a dedicated headset.

Even 256GB is overkill for me but eh, it is what IT is.

Reactions: haruhiko

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Worst Apple iPhone launch ever and I mean it, no brighter displays no faster wired charging, I’m a pro photographer but I use real pro gear never used iPhone for pro shoots, there’s like nothing new they are so lazy they only updated the max headphones because the eu timing, they just don’t bother anymore
The 16 series all have faster charging. All can now charge at 45W wired and at least the pros (not sure about the regular) now can do 25W wireless.

Reactions: baummer

zehoo

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2015
Well I was going to wait for the 17pm, but changed my mind since I was already on the fence and a good trade in deal came up with my service provider for my 13pm. But I totally get why some people will keep waiting.

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
I disagree. I just went on a vacation with my 15 Pro Max, and I noted several shortcoming that will be addressed by the 16 Pro series:
  • Battery life: I went from a 13 Pro to a 15 Pro Max expecting a big leap in battery and I haven't quite noticed that. Right now I have 91% battery health after 290 cycles on the 15PM, a disappointing degradation. 16 Pro Max is listed at 4 hours more battery life than the 15 Pro Max.
  • Macro camera: I take pictures of food when I go to restaurants, and with the 15PM, it shifts to the Macro camera quite aggressively. The quality of this camera is clearly worse than the main camera, but the main camera can't focus as close as the one on the regular 15 or older phones. The 48MP Macro should help there
  • Ultrawide camera: People use the Ultrawide for group photos a lot, and the quality on previous iPhones is terrible indoors, it should basically disable itself if it detects an indoor scene with people, it's that bad. I have high hopes for the new 48MP ultrawide sensor.
  • Anti-reflective lens coating: A lot of the outdoor shots have lens flare in them, to the point where my non-techie sister was asking me why there was so much flare in her photos and if anything could be done to fix it. The 16 Pro is listed as having AR lens coating, while the regular 16 just lists it for the main camera.
  • Faster charging: 45W is a big leap up from the 27W or so I was seeing before, would be nice to charge up quickly on flights so I can plug in my Switch or other devices.
  • Better thermals: My 15 Pro Max tends to get hot a lot and sometimes stops charging, with the more efficient process node I'm expecting the 16 Pro Max to do this less often.
Also, the 16 Pro Max is only 6 grams heavier than the 15 Pro Max, which shouldn't be noticeable.

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth
I was desperately hoping Apple would come through and deliver a camera that meets my needs and goes toe to toe with the competition.
Not sure what you are talking about. The iPhone does indeed go toe to toe with the competition. It gets ranked as one of the best smartphone cameras on the market every single year. Quit whining and move to the Pixel. But it will not make you as happy all around and you will eventually move back to the iPhone.

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
15 pro to 16pro. The phone design is partially new. Bigger screen and slightly bigger phone. New smart camera button. That is the main difference from last year.

14pro to 15pro the use of Titanium. And the action button(big deal) and USB c. Thats about it.

But people were excited to upgrade last year. This year is a much better and bigger upgrade than last year. The size of the screen has not been changed in 7 years!

Stop whining already. My goodness.🤣

Do you decided to keep your phone another year. Next year you will be jumping for joy at even less upgrades.

The rumors for the 17 are much more compelling than the 16. The 16 pro model is what Apple would have called an S year in previous iPhone iterations. A slightly bigger screen is not some magical innovation. It's gonna be the same user experience for the most part. Also, the phone looks like an 15 pro with no real noticeable differences outside of slightly bigger screens. Nobody will be able to tell if you have last years 15 pro or the new 16 pro with out in the wild that’s how similar they look. So it’s not some drastic overhaul or redesign either.

Also go on apples site and compare the specs of 15 pro to the 16 pro models. You will be shocked at how minimal the changes are.

This is like the iPhone XS which was the last S year branding. iPhone XS was just a bigger iPhone X and that's it. But if a bigger screen is enough for you more power too you.

Last edited:

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
The rumors for the 17 are much more compelling than the 16. The 16 pro model is what Apple would have called an S year in previous iPhone iterations. A slightly bigger screen is not some magical innovation. It's gonna be the same user experience for the most part. Also, the phone looks like an 15 pro with no real noticeable differences outside of slightly bigger screens. Nobody will be able to tell if you have last years 15 pro or the new 16 pro with out in the wild that’s how similar they look. So it’s not some drastic overhaul or redesign either.

Also go on apples site and compare the specs of 15 pro to the 16 pro models. You will be shocked at how minimal the changes are.

This is like the iPhone XS which was the last S year branding. iPhone XS was just a bigger iPhone X and that's it. But if a bigger screen is enough for you more power too you.
What rumors for the 17 are you referring to? Everything I’ve seen for that looks pretty minor.

• Angry
Reactions: welles13

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
What did Apple say about "15 Pro/Pro Max ran hot?" Did you ask? My experience using 15PM hard is that it gets hot only due to hard usage like constant photography or due to user error like failing to turn off an app like Photos after use. IMO the amount of computing the 15PM is capable of w/o problematic overheating is mind-boggling.

Officially they said it was a software bug and promptly “patched” it after launch. Unofficially, they redesigned their heat sink in the 16 Pro/Pro Max because of this issue since there was only so much they could do via software. It was a hardware defect, just not a major/pervasive one because as you noted it depends on usage behavior whether one is likely to feel it or not. It’s apparent under a variety of different scenarios.

Calling “failing to quit photos” a user error is a mind boggling defense, in my opinion. If you don’t experience the issue in your usage that’s a great thing, and one less reason to upgrade.

Last edited:

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
Officially they said it was a software bug and promptly “patched” it after launch. Unofficially, they redesigned their heat sink in the 16 Pro/Pro Max because of this issue since there was only so much they could do via software. It was a hardware defect, just not a major/pervasive one because as you noted it depends on usage behavior whether one is likely to feel it or not. It’s apparent under a variety of different scenarios.

Calling “failing to quit photos” a user error is a mind boggling defense, in my opinion. If you don’t experience the issue in your usage that’s a great thing, and one less reason to upgrade.
I wouldn’t call it a hardware defect. It’s widely known TSMC’s N3 process was inefficient and didn’t deliver the power reduction a smaller node normally does. With N3E, there’s big efficiency gains. That’s why Apple did M4 for iPad Pro, and A18 across the lineup has better battery life. The new thermals are probably for better sustained gaming performance because they’re pushing AAA games on iPhone.

raylo32

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2018
It's not "crap", it's just incremental as usual. Whether or not you have sat out enough cycles (like me with my XR) or not to make it attractive is up to you. But it's just a mobile phone, and mobile phones are quite simply reaching the point of diminishing incremental improvements. Annual updates are silly, and people getting annual upgrades are even more ridiculous.

So is the 16 pro crap based on all the comments?

I’m thinking of upgrading my 8.

Should I wait for the 17 Ultra Pro?

So scared of the future if the 16 is already being disparaged and maligned.

Wow.

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
I wouldn’t call it a hardware defect. It’s widely known TSMC’s N3 process was inefficient and didn’t deliver the power reduction a smaller node normally does. With N3E, there’s big efficiency gains. That’s why Apple did M4 for iPad Pro, and A18 across the lineup has better battery life. The new thermals are probably for better sustained gaming performance because they’re pushing AAA games on iPhone.

“Hardware defect” is perhaps a bit melodramatic. I somewhat agree with you regarding efficiency of chip, but the M3 MacBook Pro doesn’t suffer from any overheating issues. The iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max overheating issue is more related to the switch to the titanium frame with aluminum substructure than the N3 chip in and of itself, in my opinion. In any case, between an improved thermal design + the N3E chip, I’m fully expecting the iPhone 16 Pro/Pro Max to put this issue to rest. That’s a big reason why I upgraded, and if it doesn’t meet my expectations then it may be returned (although let’s be honest, there’s other cool new features as well).

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Well, I'm upgrading this year. I'm looking forward to the enhancements, especially the better cameras plus "Camera Control." Bummer that it's heaver than my current iPhone, though. My current iPhone battery max capacity is 88%, and more importantly certain financial apps won't run, and even the web sites for those sites refuse to load. It was fantastic when I got it, but at this point the iPhone 7 is just showing its age.

Lyshen

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
California
So, are there any really small gan 45 watt chargers people are getting?
Depends what you define as small, but Anker does make a 45 watt GaN charger. Check for Anker 713, 1 port 45 watt dimensions of 1.49 x 1.38 x 1.62 inches.

Personally I prefer multiport chargers, yes they are bigger but carry one for multiple device use.

Lyshen

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
California
I disagree. I just went on a vacation with my 15 Pro Max, and I noted several shortcoming that will be addressed by the 16 Pro series:
  • Battery life: I went from a 13 Pro to a 15 Pro Max expecting a big leap in battery and I haven't quite noticed that. Right now I have 91% battery health after 290 cycles on the 15PM, a disappointing degradation. 16 Pro Max is listed at 4 hours more battery life than the 15 Pro Max.
  • Macro camera: I take pictures of food when I go to restaurants, and with the 15PM, it shifts to the Macro camera quite aggressively. The quality of this camera is clearly worse than the main camera, but the main camera can't focus as close as the one on the regular 15 or older phones. The 48MP Macro should help there
  • Ultrawide camera: People use the Ultrawide for group photos a lot, and the quality on previous iPhones is terrible indoors, it should basically disable itself if it detects an indoor scene with people, it's that bad. I have high hopes for the new 48MP ultrawide sensor.
  • Anti-reflective lens coating: A lot of the outdoor shots have lens flare in them, to the point where my non-techie sister was asking me why there was so much flare in her photos and if anything could be done to fix it. The 16 Pro is listed as having AR lens coating, while the regular 16 just lists it for the main camera.
  • Faster charging: 45W is a big leap up from the 27W or so I was seeing before, would be nice to charge up quickly on flights so I can plug in my Switch or other devices.
  • Better thermals: My 15 Pro Max tends to get hot a lot and sometimes stops charging, with the more efficient process node I'm expecting the 16 Pro Max to do this less often.
Also, the 16 Pro Max is only 6 grams heavier than the 15 Pro Max, which shouldn't be noticeable.

Similar however I am doing a slight downgrade, have 15 Pro Max and going to go to 16 Pro.

Primary reason I wanted the 15PM was the 5x optical zoom, otherwise would have gone with 15Pro. Now with 16Pro having 5x optical, slightly bigger screen, sure why not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bungaree.Chubbins

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
The issue that you’re talking about with the macro camera taking over aggressively can be turned off. The main 1x camera has a minimum focus distance of 8 inches. If you get closer than that, then the ultra wide angle camera takes over. Whenever you move your phone close to an object the yellow flower shows up on the left-hand corner of the screen, touch it and you’ll see a slash go through it indicating that it’s turned off and the camera won’t switch anymore. You just have to remember that 8 inches is your minimum focus distance with the main camera. A lot like the 5X camera, it has a minimum focus distance of about 53 inches. I believe any closer than that, the 1x camera digitally zooms in to match the 5x. Once you have these minimum focus distances memorized, you’ll have more control over your photography

SteveJawbs

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2022
It's not "crap", it's just incremental as usual. Whether or not you have sat out enough cycles (like me with my XR) or not to make it attractive is up to you. But it's just a mobile phone, and mobile phones are quite simply reaching the point of diminishing incremental improvements. Annual updates are silly, and people getting annual upgrades are even more ridiculous.

Will cancel my 16 pro order and keep my 8.

Glad I don’t have to buy new cables and accessories.

I’ll wait for the 17 Ultra Pro.

Reactions: redbeard331

Chuckeee

macrumors 68030
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
So is the 16 pro crap based on all the comments?

I’m thinking of upgrading my 8.

Should I wait for the 17 Ultra Pro?

So scared of the future if the 16 is already being disparaged and maligned.

Wow.
It is best to look at the 16 as a 15s. Some what similar to the 15 but slightly more refined. The basic rules still apply: If you need an update, an iPhone 16 is a fine choice But if you can and are willing to wait, an iPhone 17 will probably be a little better.

BTW There was no indication that there will be an ultra version for the iPhone 17

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
What rumors for the 17 are you referring to? Everything I’ve seen for that looks pretty minor.

Even though I would still go for the pro max model but the rumored iPhone 17 “Air” which is a thinner and redesigned version of the base phones could be tempting.

Having camera improvements on both the front and back cameras. 24 MP front camera and 48 MP rear telephoto camera.

The bump up to 12GB of RAM and the A19 chip where performance will be better than A18. So Apple intelligence, gaming, and other things will perform better.

Smaller Dynamic Island due to revamped Face ID hardware which admittedly is minor but any reduction in the notch is appreciated.

Also, the rumor of tougher glass which again is minor but any improvements to durability are a plus.

Plus all the improvements and bug fixes from this year's 16 pro models. So the bigger screen and camera button and any other surprises Apple may have up their sleeve.

If I had a 14 or older the current iPhone 16 would be a no-brainer. But many tech sites, YouTubers, and more agree if you have a 15 pro model upgrading to the 16 pro is very minor and you aren’t missing out on much.

Last edited:
Reactions: redbeard331
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.