Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I seriously think it's way too early even if Apple decides to fix any of these keyboard issues, it most likely won't happen for a few more months, maybe even start of summer. First Apple has to acknowledge there is an issue, then they need to re design the parts, then the manufacturing plant needs to re tool for the new parts of the keyboard....all of this takes time and resources....it's not going to happen in a few weeks, more like months and months from now if it happens.

Reactions: Atreyu25

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
What's your manufacturing date? (download CoconutBattery: http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/)

Manufacture Date is 1/2/17

I seriously think it's way too early even if Apple decides to fix any of these keyboard issues, it most likely won't happen for a few more months, maybe even start of summer. First Apple has to acknowledge there is an issue, then they need to re design the parts, then the manufacturing plant needs to re tool for the new parts of the keyboard....all of this takes time and resources....it's not going to happen in a few weeks, more like months and months from now if it happens.

You're probably right. That's fine with me. I know I paid almost $4000 for this machine and it should be perfect, but this issue doesn't affect my workflow. If Apple doesn't acknowledge the issue publicly and fix it, hopefully it'll be magically fixed for the Kaby Lake release!

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Manufacture Date is 1/2/17

You're probably right. That's fine with me. I know I paid almost $4000 for this machine and it should be perfect, but this issue doesn't affect my workflow. If Apple doesn't acknowledge the issue publicly and fix it, hopefully it'll be magically fixed for the Kaby Lake release!
That was actually my manufacture date too.

andrewgov

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2017
I'm also have this issue with J and D keys on my MBP MLH32. It's 100% reproducible with yes script and it's gone when the computer cools down. Manufacture date is 16/11/16

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
Noticed recently the left arrow, option, . and / keys are making high pitch noises. Cant reproduce from initial use, but after an hour of working on the mac, it can be produced. This is frustrating.

ManuCH

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Well, that is fun: my 15" has started doing this after about 3 weeks of owning it. The a-s-d-f keys all do this, regardless of the temperature (even if turned off and cooled down). But only if I press them on the lower edge. If I press them in the middle, top, left or right, they sound fine.

There is no difference whatsoever with temperature (not even running the "yes script").

Considering that it's not really noticeable when I type normally, I won't return or repair it.

ManuCH

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Well, that is fun: my 15" has started doing this after about 3 weeks of owning it. The a-s-d-f keys all do this, regardless of the temperature (even if turned off and cooled down). But only if I press them on the lower edge. If I press them in the middle, top, left or right, they sound fine.

There is no difference whatsoever with temperature (not even running the "yes script").

Considering that it's not really noticeable when I type normally, I won't return or repair it.

Small update for you: I've been to the local Apple Store and I've tried all display models.

Result: *all* 15" models had the issue on the A-S-D-F keys (louder when pressing on the bottom edge). I tried 5 of them. Same thing on the 13" TB models.

The only 2016 MBPs not having the issue in that particular store were the 13" nTB.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Small update for you: I've been to the local Apple Store and I've tried all display models.

Result: *all* 15" models had the issue on the A-S-D-F keys (louder when pressing on the bottom edge). I tried 5 of them. Same thing on the 13" TB models.

The only 2016 MBPs not having the issue in that particular store were the 13" nTB.
This is why all this exchanging everyone is doing will be fruitless until Apple redesigns the part which may not be on this model.

Reactions: ManuCH

Balders

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
UK
Frustrating!!! 3rd replacement (manufactured 9th Jan, 1TB, 2.9, 460) much worse than previous one - 8 is the loudest but also 9, 0, -, backspace, i, o, z and right arrow key doing it on this latest one.

Anyone want to swap their A S D F keys for mine (since they are fine on this one :D)

Oh well, returning again...

Debating whether or not to just give it up as a bad job and go buy a PC instead - lately Apples quality control has been totally p******r!

Updated: just spotted that the screen has two overly blue areas. Had enough with the hassle - for £3.5K I expect better. Refund requested and will use my MacBook Air for a while longer...

Last edited:

Sanchez88

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2017
Sometimes I have 8 button clicking but rare, other buttons are ok. I even had a problem with stuck button and solved it with blowing under keycap.
I decided to leave this laptop because it is much more better than Air and previous Pro 2015. Previous models are worse

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
Hey everyone, just wanted to check in to let you know that I've been using my replacement machine (again, manufactured on 1/9/2017) pretty constantly over the past couple days, and I have not hit any run-ins with the high pitched key click.

Considering we're still getting reports of users with 2017 manufacturing dates who have the issue, even as late as 1/9/2017, it sounds like Apple has not fully fixed things yet. Perhaps I got lucky with my machine, or it's just very, very hard to produce on my new keyboard.

Let's hope someone can report in soon with a manufacturing date after 1/9/2017 and tell us good news.

kalel5

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2017
Enough is enough. The fourth one has even more keys that click. I'm going to have to find a 2015 MB Pro somewhere online. This is ridiculous. I'm done.

I forgot to mention, this was built 1-7-17. I've shown the problem to managers and customer service reps multiple times. I've also reported it to Apple on the feedback page. Everyone I've contacted is baffled, and says they haven't heard any complaints of this at all. How can this be? All I can think of is that people either don't notice the popping, or don't care. I'm gobsmacked this is happening.

Good luck to everyone else. My heart has sunk with the build/engineering from Apple on this new machine. I hope that they fix this in the next generation. In the meantime, I was forced to get a 2015 machine I found online.

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Ok.... SO-

I'm using a 460/2.7/512 BTO. Literally THIRD replacement, just arrived today. So far.... Everything is running great! Manufactured Jan 16th literally hot of the press lol. The keyboard sounds and feels different than my 3rd replacement. I have them side by side and the new one clearly is different.. The keys are slightly softer and quieter. I've cranked up the heat with gaming and so far no standouts. Maybe Apple has fixed things. :cheers:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 8.51.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 8.51.03 PM.png
    222.5 KB · Views: 153

kalel5

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2017
Ok.... SO-

I'm using a 460/2.7/512 BTO. Literally THIRD replacement, just arrived today. So far.... Everything is running great! Manufactured Jan 16th literally hot of the press lol. The keyboard sounds and feels different than my 3rd replacement. I have them side by side and the new one clearly is different.. The keys are slightly softer and quieter. I've cranked up the heat with gaming and so far no standouts. Maybe Apple has fixed things. :cheers:
Glad you finally got one. Number four for me is the worst one yet. Manufacture date 1-9-17. Here are the keys so far affected: fn, option (lower-left), Space Bar, V, X, Caps Lock, S, semi-colon, Q, 7 and 9. So disheartened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.