Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyayon

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
Thanks for your answer. It gone away on all problematic keys ? Never return also when hot ?
How many hours (approximatively) did you use it before it was gone ?

Thanks

Maurier

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Thanks for your answer. It gone away on all problematic keys ? Never return also when hot ?
How many hours (approximatively) did you use it before it was gone ?

Thanks
It's not doing it anymore now. Took about a weeks of use.

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Not to rude, but, did you test the keyboard by using the thread starter's shell script? Mine is ok when machine is cold, but after run that 'yes' command about 10 minutes, the issue is appear. And I agree that you only need to test your machine in you common usage, but just want to know, did you do that?Sorry of my poor english and may rude words.
I play intensive games and the machine heats up significantly. Even with added heat, no bad keys like my last machine.
[doublepost=1484492552][/doublepost]
In the beginning I thought that it was a manufacturing defect but now I think that it is a design defect.
Its a first rev of a new Apple product. We always have some design issue until they decide to fix it :(

tCC_

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2016
Finally my 13 inch TB arrived, this time with US keyboard instead of Dutch, this keyboard isn't uniform as well since all keys are not making the same noise, but it is much better than the first one I got.

When it warms up only the "/" key is clicky, I can live with that I guess.

Macbook's manufacture date is 2016.12.26

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I think heat plays into the sound getting louder for me in the middle key area. I just opened it this am and typing and the keys are pretty nice sounding but I can hear the middle keys just a tab bit more than the outer ones but when I've been on it for an hour or more the middle keys really start to get loud. So I am a firm believer that heat has something to do with the sound becoming louder, why? I wish I knew.

Macbook manufacture date Jan 02, 2017

tlday

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016
The only reason of this issue (I guess, I guess, I guess, important thing should be said three times) is expand with heat and contract with cold.I heard the keyboard using a new butterfly structure.That may use a memory metal, metal is sensitive with temperature. So it will expand when temperature is higher, then it may stuck other components, make this noise.That's the only reason I can thought.Yes, It's only a guess.I think I should improve my english right now…
If this guess is correct, you can use those keys which have issue more frequently, and in high temperature. May you can abrase its metal, make those components suited to each other, And again, it's only a guess.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Maybe if they hadn't tried to make the keyboard so damned thin on the Pro's this wouldn't have happened.

I wish it were more like an exact copy of the Magic Keyboard and less like the rMB one personally.

kalel5

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2017
Well, FORGET everything I said.. My E key is slow and barely responds. Ugh!
Oh crap! I'm sorry to hear that. I have a phone call with an Apple Business Manager later today. He's baffled as to why this is happening.

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
Oh crap! I'm sorry to hear that. I have a phone call with an Apple Business Manager later today. He's baffled as to why this is happening.

Yes, that is disappointing. I was starting to feel hopeful and was thinking of reordering .

Would you mind feeding back what e Apple Business Manager says?

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
This is ridiculous!!!! 'S' and 'O' keys on my new 13" machine make a high pitched noise when warm

Manufactured 12/5/2016

This is my third defective unit :(

Marconelly

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
Have this same problem on W and E keys on mine, when the computer gets warm. Man what an annoying sound. Keyboard is kind of loud as is even without this clicky noise on top of it. I've been using mine for probably 2-3 weeks now, not sure, the noise is still the same as the first time I noticed it :\

I really hope someone figures out how to fix this.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
This sure is sounding like a basic design flaw in some of the butterfly mechanisms (aren't they different slightly depending upon which keys/sizes?)

Not good..

AlanHarper

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2016
Malibu beach house
recieved my 15' 460/2.9/1TB mbp today and after testing if i had any glitches when rendering in media encoder i also noticed high pitching key sounds on few of the middle keys. After it cooled down its gone. Hope this will fix itself in the future.

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
recieved my 15' 460/2.9/1TB mbp today and after testing if i had any glitches when rendering in media encoder i also noticed high pitching key sounds on few of the middle keys. After it cooled down its gone. Hope this will fix itself in the future.

Shoot, sorry to hear that. Can you download CoconutBattery and tell us your manufacturing date?

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Well, replacing and sending back my THIRD MBP. Let's hope the fourth one works correctly. Because good grief.

Reactions: kalel5

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
Yes ordered it brand new from reseller. its cto 460/2.9/1TB

Ah, okay. Perhaps resellers keep a stockpile. Ordering a BTO from Apple directly I believe means the computer will be manufactured within 1 week or so of receiving.

Sanchez88

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2017
Looks like this problem isn't rare if some people change their macbooks for the third time. I am also wait my replacement from reseller and reading this topic I am getting scared.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
some people reported that that sound went away after a weeks use? do you think its far fetched hope? I dont want to replace it to be fair:)
Personally, I'm going to keep this defective machine for the entirety of the 14 day return period for two reasons:
1. hoping the problem goes away
2. hoping that in 14 days a replacement unit might have a lower chance of being defective than a unit bought now

Reactions: macintoshmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.