Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
OK, so I had no idea what this was until I got my replacement touchbarMBP and every press on the S key and most presses on the O and D key result in a sound like bubble wrap being popped.

This machine is going back. Unbelievable that this is shipping hardware. An expedited replacement indeed. unbelievable.

HailAlistair

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2017
The problem is back. I have no idea why it does it only some times. But yes, it does seem to do it more often while hot. Very strange. Very annoying. I ripped open the box of the first MacBook Pro I received (with the Touch ID button noise issue, it was ready to be shipped back) and I will be keeping that one until I get a second replacement. At least the Touch Id/Power button is consistently noisy! I hate the fact that the keyboard in the second MacBook seems perfect, then it feels broken, then it feels perfect again, etc.

I love this MacBook, but it has waisted a lot of my time during exam season. I am not happy with the situation at all. Especially because I slightly prefer the keyboard of the second MacBook! When it's not having the issue, it has a more satisfying click sound. While my first MacBook has a slightly more silent keyboard sound. (it is just a metter of taste, and it's very difficult to tell the difference)

HailAlistair

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2017
Update: after about 1 hour of tests I have discovered that even my first MacBook Pro has the issue! I had not noticed this because it's on the 9, a button that I have not used very much lately. I have also noticed it on the 7 and 8, but much less and very sporadically. Yes, I can confirm that heat seems to be make the issue much much worse, but in my tests, I have found the issue very inconsistent and sometimes difficult to detect. Sometimes the keys seems to be working just fine, and you think you are completely crazy, sometimes they do the noise every ****ing time you press, it's maddening.

Since both of my MacBook Pro 15" 2016 have this problem (albeit on different keys), I am really disheartened. It will be very difficult, if not impossible, to find a replacement without defective keys. I am considering just returning both and don't try again until the next refresh. Possibly with 32GB of RAM please!

tlday

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016
Update: after about 1 hour of tests I have discovered that even my first MacBook Pro has the issue! I had not noticed this because it's on the 9, a button that I have not used very much lately. I have also noticed it on the 7 and 8, but much less and very sporadically. Yes, I can confirm that heat seems to be make the issue much much worse, but in my tests, I have found the issue very inconsistent and sometimes difficult to detect. Sometimes the keys seems to be working just fine, and you think you are completely crazy, sometimes they do the noise every ****ing time you press, it's maddening.

Since both of my MacBook Pro 15" 2016 have this problem (albeit on different keys), I am really disheartened. It will be very difficult, if not impossible, to find a replacement without defective keys. I am considering just returning both and don't try again until the next refresh. Possibly with 32GB of RAM please!
It may need you wait the whole year even more. But I heard the Apple may reduce the price of new macbook pro at last season of this year.And I think more RAM is perfect too,but it may not useful for me.16GB RAM seems enough at least 3 years. And laptop's life is also about 3-4 years.
Anyone trys the Apple Store's prototype machine? Do they have this issue too?

nm1300

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2017
Hi all, I got the same issue with the tab key. i have another issues, the keys at the center sound much louder then keys at the sides, for example the G and H keys are much louder than '`' and '?' keys, do you have such issues ?

cyayon

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
Hi all, I got the same issue with the tab key. i have another issues, the keys at the center sound much louder then keys at the sides, for example the G and H keys are much louder than '`' and '?' keys, do you have such issues ?
Hi, yes here, we all have the same issues. Non-uniform keyboard and noisy/clicky sound issue on some random keys ...

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Glad to hear you're able to replace that. If you haven't boxed it yet, please post the manufacturing date (download coconut battery).

This machine manufactured: 2016-12-19

The full charge capacity on this machine is listed as 6914 mAh, higher than the design capacity (6669 mAh). Everything else about the machine is better than my 1st apart from the cowbell and these keys.

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
This machine manufactured: 2016-12-19

The full charge capacity on this machine is listed as 6914 mAh, higher than the design capacity (6669 mAh). Everything else about the machine is better than my 1st apart from the cowbell and these keys.

Thanks. If you can return it and get one manufactured on or after January 2nd 2017, you might get one without the high pitched key click issue. @MrGuder and @McBeresford have machines manufactured on 01/02/17 and neither of them have the high pitched click issue.

Reactions: Corrode

HailAlistair

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2017
Thanks. If you can return it and get one manufactured on or after January 2nd 2017, you might get one without the high pitched key click issue. @MrGuder and @McBeresford have machines manufactured on 01/02/17 and neither of them have the high pitched click issue.

How do you check the manufacturing date? I tried with one link I found in the previous posts (a few pages ago), did not find my serial number valid.

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007

tlday

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016
For the record, my specs are:
2.7 Ghz
BTO 460
Not to rude, but, did you test the keyboard by using the thread starter's shell script? Mine is ok when machine is cold, but after run that 'yes' command about 10 minutes, the issue is appear. And I agree that you only need to test your machine in you common usage, but just want to know, did you do that?Sorry of my poor english and may rude words.

Reactions: polee

Genys

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2017
Same here on macbook pro 13" with touch bar. I get sticky keys, first it was "enter" key, now it's always the "u" key every time i open my macbook next morning after the DJ gig. Also i got it during the gig after leaving mac open and running for the whole evening on stage. So it means, i guess, that even when computer is cooled a little in sleep mode, you still get that. You can kinda fix it by taking some sharp blade, placing in every gap of the key, moving the key a little, blowing in it and clicking few times. When laptop is cooled of course.
Are they already replacing with new keyboards?

tlday

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016
bad news, I downloaded the coconutBattery and using it now, my macbook's manufacture date is also 2017-01-02, but it still has this issue, 7 and 9. Seems Apple haven't address the reason of this issue or even they have not notice this issue.And another news is, apple store still can not replace keyboard, and they said keys can not be replaced, If you want to do that, they will replace the topcase with battery.
[doublepost=1484475102][/doublepost]If you want to replace topcase with battery, they still don't have a replacing topcase too.

idark77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
In the beginning I thought that it was a manufacturing defect but now I think that it is a design defect.

Reactions: Atreyu25

tlday

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016
bad news, I downloaded the coconutBattery and using it now, my macbook's manufacture date is also 2017-01-02, but it still has this issue, 7 and 9. Seems Apple haven't address the reason of this issue or even they have not notice this issue.And another news is, apple store still can not replace keyboard, and they said keys can not be replaced, If you want to do that, they will replace the topcase with battery.
[doublepost=1484475102][/doublepost]If you want to replace topcase with battery, they still don't have a replacing topcase too.
Machine's manufacture date is Jan. 2nd, 2017, but battery is Dec. 30th, 2016, I don't know if their were same to mine.

Sanchez88

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2017
Hello guys, I have also purchased Macbook Pro 15 2016 and faced this problem with letter N. Also this occurs when laptop is heated after hard tasks or just typing 'yes' script in terminal. Looks like this problem is widespread and I am a afraid my replacement for new one can be with the same defect.
I suppose that this problem can have to sources:
1) defect in butterfly button mechanism construction, when laptop heats this mechanism deforms
2) or maybe there are some glue remains under the keycap appeared while assembling
Anyway I consider this to be unacceptable for such an expensive product. I bought it in Ukraine from resellers. And here it costs huge amount of money.

Maurier

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Mine had the same loud clicking noise on the delete key.
It went away after few weeks of usage. Try it out for a wile and see if it stops.

cyayon

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
Mine had the same loud clicking noise on the delete key.
It went away after few weeks of usage. Try it out for a wile and see if it stops.
Also only with "hot" macbook ? Always, even when cold ?
I tried to little "stress" my A key (which produce noise when hot only), but no way, the clicking noise persist...

Maurier

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Also only with "hot" macbook ? Always, even when cold ?
I tried to little "stress" my A key (which produce noise when hot only), but no way, the clicking noise persist...
On mine it did when cold and hot. It also made a difference where on the key I clicked. On the far left side it wouldn't do it.
If i slowly and gently pressed it it wouldn't do it.
I believe after frequent use it will go away.
I think this sound comes from the changes that apple made from the macbook 12 keyboard.
They probably tighten something up in there giving it a better feel when pushing a key , but resulting in some keys been harder to press then others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.