Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Balders

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
UK
What was the issue on your first machine then? I think I will keep my Macbook and will ask apple to solve the problem in a year or so. I think they will need to replace the whole keyboard and that case this would mean that the complete top case would be replaced. I wouldn not want to wait another 2 weeks now to then get a macbook that has another issue...

Blue tinge to the right hand side of the screen and dingy overall. Annoying because the new screen was amazing :(

Oh well, see what the 3rd one is like in a couple of weeks - perhaps it will have a combo of all the problems... :rolleyes:

Haven't used either of them for more than 5 minutes before putting them back in the box so no idea about battery life, performance etc...

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Haven't used either of them for more than 5 minutes before putting them back in the box so no idea about battery life, performance etc...

Well, if it's any consolation, the first one might have had the keyboard problem as well without you knowing it, since it seems to only come out when the 'Book heats up. :-/

Mine's got it with the F, G and X keys. Also my second machine and I totally can't be arsed returning it again. I'll see if goes away on its own, or wait til it can be fixed in store.

Reactions: Balders

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I can't understand why the sound of the keys is not uniform across the keyboard. Some of mine are almost silent but the ones in the middle are much louder. It doesn't make sense to me. Is this a software fix or a hardware issue?

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
I can't understand why the sound of the keys is not uniform across the keyboard. Some of mine are almost silent but the ones in the middle are much louder. It doesn't make sense to me. Is this a software fix or a hardware issue?

It's presumably down to the relative density of the internals at each point. And, er, no there obviously won't be a software fix for it.

kalel5

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2017
I just got my 2016 15" 2.6, 512 SSD Radeon Pro 450 today and have been running it for about 3 hrs with iTunes playing and several safari tabs YouTube video been playing for over an hr in HD and another tab of HD video playing from Benjamin Mayo blog of Apple TV Ariel videos that loop and another tab browsing the web. Brightness is at 75% keyboard brightness full bars. During these past 3 hrs coconut battery is showing battery temp at 90% and about 21.5 watts being discharged. The laptop is a pretty warm underneath.
Activity monitor shows I have NOT used the dGPU. I started with 100 battery at 8:00 pm then I opened all the above I mentioned and it's been running since. I currently have 61% battery left.

I've been doing a lot of typing and key travel is fine and I love the backlit lighting. I have accidentally hit the touch bar several times typing throwing the brightness levels way up. I really hate that, I did it again with the keyboard lighting levels too accidentally. I have the keyboard to always show expanded controls on the touch bar.

The sound from the keys is noticeably louder in the middle of the keyboard. I checked each key several times (again my laptop is pretty warm on the bottom for the past 3 hrs) and I don't have any high pitched sounding keys. However, what I don't like is how most all the middle keys are loud like t y u i and the next row f g h j and next row b n m so in other words most all the keys in the middle have a louder sound like it's hitting hollow. The keys on the side are super silent like q a z s d x p o l

That is my only gripe after a few hours is that the sound is not uniform across the keys. The ones in the middle are much much louder than the ones toward the outside. I would prefer they all be the same. It gives off a cheap feel since they are not uniform in sound.

I have to say the screen is amazing and looks so much better than the 2015 MacBook Pro 15" I returned. I will need to give this another week to see how it goes and if I will return or keep. I think I already prefer the keyboard from the 2015 model with regard to quietness. I also miss the dedicated esc key. I wish I could have the screen from this 2016 model with the keyboard from the 2015 model and no touch bar.

Oh I forgot to note that according to coconut battery the manufacture date of my MacBook Pro at the very top it says Jan 02 2017
Thank you for the thorough post! It gives me hope that the clicking is not occurring on this version. And, that it was manufactured in January. Maybe, just maybe the kinks have been worked out in the manufacturing.

As far as uniformity, I do hear what you're saying. The keys on either edge are softer, and less "drum" sounding than the keys in the center. But, I think that's the nature of this new keyboard (unfortunately). I, personally, am ok with that, but the tin-foil clicking noise is unacceptable.
[doublepost=1484071129][/doublepost]
Just got my 2nd MacBook Pro (replacement for dodgy screen). The new one has this awful loud clicking noise from the right shift key. It only does it when the laptop gets warm though... Called Apple - laptop number 3 on its way o_O
I'm about to return mine. If I get another one, it will be number 4 for me!!
I can't believe that Apple's manufacturing or engineering of the product is so poor.
It's interesting to me that you have the identical build of computer to me.

My first machine was buggy as hell. The screen got all garbled and froze the machine up, and the trackpad was unresponsive at times. The keys on the second one were terrible. The lower-right shift key, question mark, period, comma, tab, "e", "r", "t" and delete keys all had the loud crackle/pop right out of the box. It didn't even require the machine to get hot.

My current (3rd) one is the "A" key only.

At this point, I'm thinking of just waiting for Apple to either fix this issue or their next MB Pro release. However, I'm worried about the timing of the latter, due to their current, seemingly aloof attitude toward the Mac.

Last edited:
Reactions: Balders

tCC_

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2016
Macbook Pro 13 inch nTB has the same (heat) problem. Once I run yes > /dev/null for 10 minutes the base 2.0 Ghz 13 inch nTB gets pretty warm on top, your can feel it's heat putting yours hands above the keyboard. Once it has warmed up the F, H and K buttons do make the annoying click sound.

When I kill the processes and wait a couple of minutes the keys don't make that noise anymore.

Model MacBookPro13,1
Manufacture date 2016.10.17
Battery manufacture date 2016.01.15 (wtf, my laptop is almost new and the battery is already 1 year old, does that matter for it's lifespan?)

This one is returning to Apple.

Still waiting for the Macbook 13 inch TB that I ordered back in December.

t2nerb

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2008
I was also super concerned with this problem when I first got my 13" TBMBP. I ended up getting it replaced, and found that a few keys still had the same problem. I ended up living with it hoping it would go away with frequent use of those specific keys that exhibit these problems.

My right-shift key had this problem you are all speaking of, but after overriding my muscle-memory and only using the right-shift key, the noise and inconsistent tactile feedback it gives resolved itself. I'm not sure if this pertains to the problems you are all having, but the original problem I had also happens to be depicted in the videos posted.

Try just giving it time, and if it's one of the less frequently used keys, find a way to just keep tapping away at it and hopefully that resolves your issues. However, I have never that heat does not affect the problem I was having.

tCC_

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2016
We don't have time, pushed the buttons hundreds of times and I don't think it gonna fix itself within the 2 weeks I can return the thing, but will work on it for some days.

kalel5

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2017
We don't have time, pushed the buttons hundreds of times and I don't think it gonna fix itself within the 2 weeks I can return the thing, but will work on it for some days.
It'
I was also super concerned with this problem when I first got my 13" TBMBP. I ended up getting it replaced, and found that a few keys still had the same problem. I ended up living with it hoping it would go away with frequent use of those specific keys that exhibit these problems.

My right-shift key had this problem you are all speaking of, but after overriding my muscle-memory and only using the right-shift key, the noise and inconsistent tactile feedback it gives resolved itself. I'm not sure if this pertains to the problems you are all having, but the original problem I had also happens to be depicted in the videos posted.

Try just giving it time, and if it's one of the less frequently used keys, find a way to just keep tapping away at it and hopefully that resolves your issues. However, I have never that heat does not affect the problem I was having.

It's been my experience that the situation does not resolve itself over time. Apple let me keep my second machine for four weeks while I waited for the replacement/new one to come in. The affected keys still had the popping sound when I returned it. I "massaged" them, used can air, etc during this time and nothing.

It's definitely related to heat. When I would get some of the cold gas from canned air, the keys would temporarily be fixed, until they heated back up.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
It'

It's been my experience that the situation does not resolve itself over time. Apple let me keep my second machine for four weeks while I waited for the replacement/new one to come in. The affected keys still had the popping sound when I returned it. I "massaged" them, used can air, etc during this time and nothing.

It's definitely related to heat. When I would get some of the cold gas from canned air, the keys would temporarily be fixed, until they heated back up.
So it sounds like a design flaw that will either be fixed if someone confirms after buying (I really thought mine was going to be fixed since it was produced Jan 2017) or will be fixed on the late 2017 model.

tryrtryrtryrt

Suspended
Sep 10, 2016
In addition to much louder keys in the centre of the keyboard, O key also does not get pressed until you put much more pressure on it than all other keys. **** Apple, man.

Funny (actually not funny) thing is they really have something wrong with their QA/QC process. My MBP is as customized as it could be - it's a CTO model further customized by keyboard layout for the different market. And still it's broken. :(

1 more month of waiting awaits me. Hey, who knows, maybe I'll get Kaby Lake in the end!
Hey guys,

I'm not sure this is the right thread... but still maybe someone experienced similar problem.

I've just got MBP 2016 15" 2.9/16/512/455. There is an annoying problem with the keyboard.

Basically all the buttons in the centre of the keyboard are much louder (both when I regularly type and if I press them specifically one by one in a similar manner under similar angle). The difference in sound is as if the keys in the centre touch (more so bump into) something underneath them when pressed and keys on the sides don't.

Has anyone experienced similar problem? Is it normal?

Thank you!

tigredicarta

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2017
Yesterday I was at the Store. My experience wasn't good, since they made me "an operation to fix butterfly keys", with no effect (indeed, it seems to me even worse, but I'm paranoid).
They have proposed me to swap the keyboard (so the top case with battery). I hope that this will fix the problem.

Last edited:

kalel5

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2017
Yesterday I was to the Store. My experience wasn't good, since they made me "an operation to fix butterfly keys", with no effect (indeed, it seems to me even worse, but I'm paranoid).
They have proposed me to swap the keyboard (so the top case with battery). I hope that this will fix the problem.
I'm sorry to hear that. I was on the phone with Apple Support and AppleCare, and they told me I had to go to the store to have it looked at. I told them that the store always says to just return it - that they lack the tools to fix anything because the device is so new. She said that it was my only option. If I go, it will make my 5th trip to the store that is an hour away. I'm stuck, because my previous MacBook has died. I'm totally stymied on what to do. Should I try for a fourth and struggle though the next 2-3 weeks to see if I might possibly get one that is correct? This is just terrible. :(

tigredicarta

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2017
I'm in the same situation, tomorrow I will thrown two hours to go to the Store, for the second time this week.
At this time, I decided to try to let they change the keyboard, maybe spare parts are better controlled. If it were to recur the same problem on an another key, I will change the entire keyboard again.

kalel5

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2017
I'm in the same situation, tomorrow I will thrown two hours to go to the Store, for the second time this week.
At this time, I decided to try to let they change the keyboard, maybe spare parts are better controlled. If it were to recur the same problem on an another key, I will change the entire keyboard again.

Sending you good thoughts. I've decided to return mine and try for a fourth. I may just keep buying and returning them throughout until I get one that works. Sad :(

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
To be honest, if I decide to return this 2016 15" the only reason would be for the keyboard. None of my keys have any high pitch noise so that is not an issue. I just can't get use to the noise typing on it makes. The keys on the outer edge are almost silent but most of the keys in the middle produce a loud thud sound, there not uniform. I would expect that they would all sound the same but there not. I mean it's not terribly loud but at night or in a quite room it's a bit annoying.

I just need to decide within a week or so if it's enough to warrant returning. I love the screen it's beautiful, love the backlit keys, speed is super fast, the battery is fine for me, love touch ID, I don't see me using the TB, I've left it expanded with the all the normal fixed buttons that mimic the 2015 keyboard.

Last edited:

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I wonder if this is actually an "issue" with every tbMBP and people in this thread are the only ones that are noticing.

tlday

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016
I have posted my situation at #23. today i receive my third macbook pro 2016. it still has same issue.I am enough to play a returning/replacing game.It's already 68 days after i first order it at Apple's official site.almost 10 weeks waiting. :mad:I may keep this one at last, but really disappoint to Apple.:(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.