Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riptidewahoo

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
Yes, I will.
Something I have noticed watching some youtube videos is that it appears the keyboard retains oils from your fingers and leaves smudges on the black keys, is that true for those that have the new keyboard? Or is it just the reflection in the videos? Is this an issue for anyone?

Finger oils on keys happen to just about everyone. You can wipe them down for awhile but it's going to get shiny after prolonged use. I wouldn't worry about it.

kalel5

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2017
I'm glad to hear that you're going to persevere

I was just debating whether to try again or whether it would seem a bit crazy.

Like I said, I really like the machine - and perhaps more importantly I need it - but repeat, re-test, and return is no fun.
I'm just feeling stuck. If I return this one, that makes 3 2016 MacBook Pros that have had these same issues! I'm not holding out hope that a 4th will be better.

I have to think this is happening to most customers. What are the chances that I, and others like me, have had faulty hardware three times in a row?

Additionally, I'm shocked that this hasn't received any coverage from major bloggers or news outlets. Look how many of us are having this problem.

Reactions: TripleMoxy

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I'm just feeling stuck. If I return this one, that makes 3 2016 MacBook Pros that have had these same issues! I'm not holding out hope that a 4th will be better.

I have to think this is happening to most customers. What are the chances that I, and others like me, have had faulty hardware three times in a row?

Additionally, I'm shocked that this hasn't received any coverage from major bloggers or news outlets. Look how many of us are having this problem.

I really hope you get better luck on the 4th. This, the scratches, graphic glitches, battery problems, I think it's terrifying.

Perhaps I just don't use my current laptop enough to find fault with it but if I paid what these Macs are going for on it, I'd probably be upset over these issues.

kalel5

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2017
I really hope you get better luck on the 4th. This, the scratches, graphic glitches, battery problems, I think it's terrifying.

Perhaps I just don't use my current laptop enough to find fault with it but if I paid what these Macs are going for on it, I'd probably be upset over these issues.
Well said! I didn't know about scratching issues. The laptop overall is great. The one floss is the on key. So awful. I think I may try my luck with apple online tomorrow. I'm tired of driving an hour to the store.

Hook87

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2016
Hello guys,

I have the same crackling sound with 2 keys :-(.

Is there something I can do about it or will I need to give it back to Apple so that they can fix it?

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Hello guys,

I have the same crackling sound with 2 keys :-(.

Is there something I can do about it or will I need to give it back to Apple so that they can fix it?
What is your production date and what 2 keys?

Hook87

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2016
Don't know the date. The keys are "0" and "8" but 8 is worse than 0. However it does not crack every time but 8 pretty often...

Hook87

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2016
What is that for a ****ing problem? As soon as it gets warm, I get these problems...Is the only possibility to fix this issue to sent the Macbook back to Apple? Weird problem. I really love the keyboard for the rest...

Chargeback

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
just return it. I had the same noise with the "A" MacBook Pro (2,7 GHz, 1TB SSD and Radeon Pro 460). My new MacBook Pro (basic 2,6 GHz, 256 GB SSD and Radeon Pro 450) is just working fine. I am not sure if this is an issue with Radeon 460 oder 2,7 GHz.

Hook87

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2016
I cannot return it. In the shop I bought it, I cannot return. I only could get it fixed by Apple.
I also would not want the basic machine (I had that before and indeed I did not get the issues there and the MB also did not get as hot). But I needed the 460 GPU and got a really excellent price at this reseller.

I read that for some people this problem resolved on it's own. Can anybody here confirm that?

That is really irritating if you pay such a price...

Chargeback

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
does ist appear when the battery charges on the side of the MacBook Pro where the USB-C Charging Cable ist plugged in? It might be a heat problem.

In your case call apple care hotline and start a support history for your MacBook Pro. I do not believe that the problem will disappear for ever, a s it might be a heat problem.

Hook87

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2016
I am not sure what you mean. As far as I know, there are several batteries in the new MBP. I so far only used the USB C charging on the right side and only the posterior one that is more nearby the Retina display. I used this one as well 90% of the time with the other Macbook without any issues...

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
This is why it's probably best to order from Apple with all the issues users are experiencing with this new model. Apple accepts returns within 2 weeks but vendors like B&H photo do not accept returns.

Hook87

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2016
well, I ordered the first one from Apple, so I knew I want to have the MB. I did not have any issues with that.

And with this one I of course have normal guarantee. So Apple will repair it if it will not resolve on it's own.

I cannot imagine that this is a problem that occurs on every model with 460/2.7 GHZ because then many more people would have the problem...

Chargeback

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I am not sure what you mean. As far as I know, there are several batteries in the new MBP. I so far only used the USB C charging on the right side and only the posterior one that is more nearby the Retina display. I used this one as well 90% of the time with the other Macbook without any issues...

So I used it only on the left side and had the problem on the left side of the keyboard. Seems to me that heat could increase on the side on which the cable is plugged in and the keyboard gets noisy.
I do not realize this problem with the 2,6 GHz Processor and the Radeon Pro 450. But I had the same problem with your configuration / 2,7GHz and Radeon Pro 460. Could be a coincidence...

Hook87

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2016
Yes, I think it is a coincidence because think about how many people have my configuration. I know many people who have my configuration and don't have the issue at all.

Did the problem switch to the other side when you plugged in the cable at the other side?

Chargeback

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I have already returned my 2,7 GHz MacBook Pro.- But you can check it, please give feedback.

perhaps it is a general issue and it depends on the temperature of the MacBook Pro, which is likely to be achieved more quickly with the higher performance of the components. I have found several people with Radeon 460 and 2,7 or 2,9 GHz processor, which had the keyboard issue when the MacBook Pro was getting hot. Could be the keyboard or individual built quality which makes the difference.

Last edited:

tryrtryrtryrt

Suspended
Sep 10, 2016
Hey guys,

I'm not sure this is the right thread... but still maybe someone experienced similar problem.

I've just got MBP 2016 15" 2.9/16/512/455. There is an annoying problem with the keyboard.

Basically all the buttons in the centre of the keyboard are much louder (both when I regularly type and if I press them specifically one by one in a similar manner under similar angle). The difference in sound is as if the keys in the centre touch (more so bump into) something underneath them when pressed and keys on the sides don't.

Has anyone experienced similar problem? Is it normal?

Thank you!

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I just got my 2016 15" 2.6, 512 SSD Radeon Pro 450 today and have been running it for about 3 hrs with iTunes playing and several safari tabs YouTube video been playing for over an hr in HD and another tab of HD video playing from Benjamin Mayo blog of Apple TV Ariel videos that loop and another tab browsing the web. Brightness is at 75% keyboard brightness full bars. During these past 3 hrs coconut battery is showing battery temp at 90% and about 21.5 watts being discharged. The laptop is a pretty warm underneath.
Activity monitor shows I have NOT used the dGPU. I started with 100 battery at 8:00 pm then I opened all the above I mentioned and it's been running since. I currently have 61% battery left.

I've been doing a lot of typing and key travel is fine and I love the backlit lighting. I have accidentally hit the touch bar several times typing throwing the brightness levels way up. I really hate that, I did it again with the keyboard lighting levels too accidentally. I have the keyboard to always show expanded controls on the touch bar.

The sound from the keys is noticeably louder in the middle of the keyboard. I checked each key several times (again my laptop is pretty warm on the bottom for the past 3 hrs) and I don't have any high pitched sounding keys. However, what I don't like is how most all the middle keys are loud like t y u i and the next row f g h j and next row b n m so in other words most all the keys in the middle have a louder sound like it's hitting hollow. The keys on the side are super silent like q a z s d x p o l

That is my only gripe after a few hours is that the sound is not uniform across the keys. The ones in the middle are much much louder than the ones toward the outside. I would prefer they all be the same. It gives off a cheap feel since they are not uniform in sound.

I have to say the screen is amazing and looks so much better than the 2015 MacBook Pro 15" I returned. I will need to give this another week to see how it goes and if I will return or keep. I think I already prefer the keyboard from the 2015 model with regard to quietness. I also miss the dedicated esc key. I wish I could have the screen from this 2016 model with the keyboard from the 2015 model and no touch bar.

Oh I forgot to note that according to coconut battery the manufacture date of my MacBook Pro at the very top it says Jan 02 2017

Last edited:

Balders

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
UK
Just got my 2nd MacBook Pro (replacement for dodgy screen). The new one has this awful loud clicking noise from the right shift key. It only does it when the laptop gets warm though... Called Apple - laptop number 3 on its way o_O

Reactions: TripleMoxy

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
Just got my 2nd MacBook Pro (replacement for dodgy screen). The new one has this awful loud clicking noise from the right shift key. It only does it when the laptop gets warm though... Called Apple - laptop number 3 on its way o_O

Thanks very much for letting us know. If you still have the machine, could you download Coconut battery and post your computer's manufacturing date?

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
very sad to report that my replacement also has a bad key, this time the B key. It's not nearly as bad as my older one's E key but it's definitely noticeable. The worst part is the display - it's noticeably worse than my current one. Much yellower and uneven. REALLY unfortunate. Not sure what to do! :(
[doublepost=1482960596][/doublepost]Alright, I absolutely CAN NOT recommend doing this, but I took matters into my own hands and VERY VERY carefully removed the E key from my original MBP. I pressed the actual switch underneath a few times, then put the key back on.... and (crossing fingers!) the noise is GONE! Also, the key still works ;)

SO, if you're brave and/or technical this may be a solution, but PLEASE note - if you break it, you buy it. Apple WILL NOT cover this under warranty! You've been warned... :)

thanks,
mbezzo

Hi there,

Has this fix proven long-lasting, or did the clicking return?

Balders

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
UK
Thanks very much for letting us know. If you still have the machine, could you download Coconut battery and post your computer's manufacturing date?

No worries - Manufacture date: 26th Dec 2016.

My first machine, which this replaced, did not have the issue at all on any keys (and was manufactured on the 19th Dec for what its worth).

Both are the 15" CTO (1TB, 460, 2.9)

Here's a vid:

Last edited:

Hook87

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2016
What was the issue on your first machine then? I think I will keep my Macbook and will ask apple to solve the problem in a year or so. I think they will need to replace the whole keyboard and that case this would mean that the complete top case would be replaced. I wouldn not want to wait another 2 weeks now to then get a macbook that has another issue...

Reactions: SBruv
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.