Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
The same for me.

@tigredicarta, @ou213803 can you try downloading Coconut Battery? Nice find @TripleMoxy. http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

Returned mine due to this issue. ***** annoying.

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear about all the trouble. Do you not have the issue on your 13"? You can use the command I posted at the start of the thread to heat up your Mac.

The second had about 30% of the keys clicking constantly.

Thanks for posting. Wow, 30% of keys is awful. I don't think anybody has had it that bad. Really sorry to hear that, my friend. Can you post the build date (download Coconut Battery, link above) of your newest machine?

Same problem here with a 13'' 2016 MacBook Pro With TouchBar. The "A" key is making a clicky noise only when the Macbook gets warn.

Thanks for posting. If you go to the Apple store again, you can use the command I posted at the start of the thread to heat up your computer to demonstrate the issue for the genius. Could you post the build date of your machine (download Coconut Battery, link above)?

I'm hoping some of us are going to start getting replacements that we won't be able to produce the issue on, and then we can finally mark the manufacturing date of those computers as when Apple fixed the issue. In the meantime, please everybody submit your issue to Apple here (and be sure Apple notes specifically the high pitched click issue when you return your machines): http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

cyayon

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
@tigredicarta, @ou213803 can you try downloading Coconut Battery? Nice find @TripleMoxy. http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear about all the trouble. Do you not have the issue on your 13"? You can use the command I posted at the start of the thread to heat up your Mac.

Thanks for posting. Wow, 30% of keys is awful. I don't think anybody has had it that bad. Really sorry to hear that, my friend. Can you post the build date (download Coconut Battery, link above) of your newest machine?

Thanks for posting. If you go to the Apple store again, you can use the command I posted at the start of the thread to heat up your computer to demonstrate the issue for the genius. Could you post the build date of your machine (download Coconut Battery, link above)?

I'm hoping some of us are going to start getting replacements that we won't be able to produce the issue on, and then we can finally mark the manufacturing date of those computers as when Apple fixed the issue. In the meantime, please everybody submit your issue to Apple here (and be sure Apple notes specifically the high pitched click issue when you return your machines): http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

Thanks, I think, i will wait for some time and hope there will be a quick fix in Apple Store (like replacing the defective keys in few minutes...).

9zer

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2017
I have the same issue with my 15'' 2016 Macbook Pro.
Currently, only R and I are affected. And the clicks only happen when the machine is warm.
I have also notice that if I press the upper part of the keys, the sounds are normal.

Reactions: monstermac77

cyayon

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
Currently, only R and I are affected. And the clicks only happen when the machine is warm.
I have also notice that if I press the upper part of the keys, the sounds are normal.
Same issue too

riptidewahoo

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
So far I haven't really noticed this issue on my nTB 13" replacement - however, I will say the keyboard feels "different" than the 15" model. It's a bit more "clicky" in general and some keys feel a bit different than others. I will post again if I get the really loud popping sound.

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
I'm still debating whether to take mine back as it only happens with the delete key and only when it warms up considerably. It's a beautiful, performant laptop, and and all of the other keys are fine, but it can be quite jarring to hear that sticking noise.

If there was some way of replacing one key (without going through the trauma of doing it oneself), I would jump at the chance.

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you also have the issue. If you could post your manufacturing date, that'd be great (download Coconut battery).

So far I haven't really noticed this issue on my nTB 13" replacement - however, I will say the keyboard feels "different" than the 15" model. It's a bit more "clicky" in general and some keys feel a bit different than others. I will post again if I get the really loud popping sound.

Thanks for following up. Yeah, I noticed the keyboard inconsistency on a relative's 15" model (the keys near the center of the computer seemed to click more than the ones near the edges). Heat is likely the culprit for the loud, high pitched clicking sound, so next time your nTB 13" heats up, test out the keys.

Last edited:

kalel5

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2017
I'm still debating whether to take mine back as it only happens with the delete key and only when it warms up considerably. It's a beautiful, performant laptop, and and all of the other keys are fine, but it can be quite jarring to hear that sticking noise.

If there was some way of replacing one key (without going through the trauma of doing it oneself), I would jump at the chance.
This is exactly how I feel! I really needed a new MacBook, and I'm down to having 1 key clicking when it heats up. I don't know if I should just hold onto mine and keep complaining, knowing I have AppleCare. I'm not sure what advice you all would give.

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
This is exactly how I feel! I really needed a new MacBook, and I'm down to having 1 key clicking when it heats up. I don't know if I should just hold onto mine and keep complaining, knowing I have AppleCare. I'm not sure what advice you all would give.

I've just returned mine. I thought about it for a while, but I couldn't justify paying so much for a machine that had that sort of annoying, albeit intermittent, niggle.

I'm now wondering whether to give it a few weeks before repurchasing, just in case it's just an initial manufacturing flaw rather than a design defect.

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
I don't know if I should just hold onto mine and keep complaining, knowing I have AppleCare. I'm not sure what advice you all would give.

I thought about it for a while, but I couldn't justify paying so much for a machine that had that sort of annoying, albeit intermittent, niggle.

I'm now wondering whether to give it a few weeks before repurchasing, just in case it's just an initial manufacturing flaw rather than a design defect.

I completely agree; I don't think it's reasonable to pay such a premium for a machine and accept an issue as bothersome as the high pitched key click. If we could be sure there would be a non-invasive fix for it within a couple months, then I'd be okay. But I do not want to end up in the situation where I have to put up with that clicking noise for as long as I have the machine (probably 4 years).

As I mentioned in the other thread, I ordered my replacement on January 3rd, but I got a 460 so it's a 2-3 week to ship window. I'm hoping by then they will have worked out this problem. If not, I'll continue to return and replace until it's fixed.

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
I completely agree; I don't think it's reasonable to pay such a premium for a machine and accept an issue as bothersome as the high pitched key click. If we could be sure there would be a non-invasive fix for it within a couple months, then I'd be okay. But I do not want to end up in the situation where I have to put up with that clicking noise for as long as I have the machine (probably 4 years).

As I mentioned in the other thread, I ordered my replacement on January 3rd, but I got a 460 so it's a 2-3 week to ship window. I'm hoping by then they will have worked out this problem. If not, I'll continue to return and replace until it's fixed.

I'm glad to hear that you're going to persevere

I was just debating whether to try again or whether it would seem a bit crazy.

Like I said, I really like the machine - and perhaps more importantly I need it - but repeat, re-test, and return is no fun.

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
I'm glad to hear that you're going to persevere

I was just debating whether to try again or whether it would seem a bit crazy.

:)

I get that. Personally, I buy Apple products because of Apple's aspiration for perfection. And although a very small, rarely visible scratch or unevenness in screen hue might be excusable due to current manufacturing realities, I don't think that this keyboard problem is. So if I have to return 4 times to hit the standard that I think they are trying to meet, then I think that should be on them, not me.

On a less ideological level, the more you return, the more likely their attention will be drawn to this issue. So everyone who is returning due to this problem is helping everyone else here (and future purchasers).

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Has anyone noticed that the high pitched sounded keys seem to mostly be near the top. On one video it was the letter R and on this video it's the letter E and U which are on the same row too. Unfortunatly there the most used keys. Mine comes next week I sure hope my keys don't do this.

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
Has anyone noticed that the high pitched sounded keys seem to mostly be near the top. On one video it was the letter R and on this video it's the letter E and U which are on the same row too. Unfortunatly there the most used keys. Mine comes next week I sure hope my keys don't do this.

I haven't noticed that pattern, but it's certainly possible. Since heat is very likely involved and the the keys near the top are very close to the heat sink, they might heat up faster than others.

Also, when you get your machine it'd be awesome if you could post whether yours has this issue so that we can know whether our replacements will still have it (be sure to note your manufacturing date using Coconut battery).

kokhoong0624

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2015
I just ordered a 15... and it will be delivered on 20th Jan :) will update if this issue is still persists on the newer manufactured macbook

ou213803

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2017

My W and R are the ones that are messed up.

kalel5

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2017

Looks like my 3rd machine was built 11-19-2016

tCC_

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2016
I'm curious, do the non touch bar macbook pro's have problems with the keyboard as well, or only the touch bar models ?

Chuan_111

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2017
I have the same problem too, on key E T U, when it gets hot. It disappears when the laptop cools down.

kalel5

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2017
I'm curious, do the non touch bar macbook pro's have problems with the keyboard as well, or only the touch bar models ?

I'm not sure. It would be interesting to see. I also wonder if this is only happening to the custom builds. Mine, for instance is has the 4GB graphics card, 2.9 GHz processor and 1TB drive.

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
I'm not sure. It would be interesting to see. I also wonder if this is only happening to the custom builds. Mine, for instance is has the 4GB graphics card, 2.9 GHz processor and 1TB drive.

It happened with a stock 2.7/512 I had and subsequently returned

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Also, when you get your machine it'd be awesome if you could post whether yours has this issue so that we can know whether our replacements will still have it (be sure to note your manufacturing date using Coconut battery).

Yes, I will.
Something I have noticed watching some youtube videos is that it appears the keyboard retains oils from your fingers and leaves smudges on the black keys, is that true for those that have the new keyboard? Or is it just the reflection in the videos? Is this an issue for anyone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.