Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tlday

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016
Nope. Got my replacement from Apple yesterday, for a clicky W key when things get hot. The new one is pristine with no key issues whatsoever. It was manufactured 2 January.
Is it your second one? my third one still has same issue.I'm thinking about hold it or return it.You are the first one I have seen who received a replaced machine without same issue.Sorry of my poor english.

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Is it your second one? my third one still has same issue.I'm thinking about hold it or return it.You are the first one I have seen who received a replaced machine without same issue.Sorry of my poor english.
Third. But the first had graphical problems. And no the keys are not louder in one area or another. It's uniform and very pleasant.

kalel5

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2017
Just ordered my 4th MB Pro 2016. Fingers crossed that this one will be a later build and be ok. I'll keep everyone posted.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Nope. Got my replacement from Apple yesterday, for a clicky W key when things get hot. The new one is pristine with no key issues whatsoever. It was manufactured 2 January.
I think you're the first person to post that they received a machine without issue. Everyone needs to do this so we can figure out if it's an issue they've addressed in manufacturing.

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
I think you're the first person to post that they received a machine without issue. Everyone needs to do this so we can figure out if it's an issue they've addressed in manufacturing.
Good idea. I have to say the keys actually feel a bit more uniform and it may be my imagination but they seem quieter. I really do love this new machine. Fingers crossed, everything seems great!

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Good idea. I have to say the keys actually feel a bit more uniform and it may be my imagination but they seem quieter. I really do love this new machine. Fingers crossed, everything seems great!
Mine was manufactured on Jan 02 also but my keys are not uniform the ones in the middle have a louder thud like it hollow while the others along the side are pretty quite. I don't like it, makes the experience feel cheap typing.

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Mine was manufactured on Jan 02 also but my keys are not uniform the ones in the middle have a louder thud like it hollow while the others along the side are pretty quite. I don't like it, makes the experience feel cheap typing.
Not to be rude, but this machine has a keyboard that people simply haven't had a chance to become accustomed to using. I know some of us (myself included) had legitimate issues with loud keys. On the flip side, being so picky about "feeling like middle keys are more hallow" will make it hard to be satisfied with your machine.

I for one think the new keyboard mechanism is one of the nicest features that this new generation of MacBook Pros offer. They offer great travel and have a satisfying click, akin to a mechanical keyboard. Is it perfect? No. But I would recommend that you give it some time. This forum can be a HUGE help for identifying issues on our Apple devices, Lord knows I've had my share of issues... But we can also become an echo chamber for issues, real or perceived and it becomes difficult to enjoy something when we are hunting for issues.

Reactions: kalel5 and Corrode

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Not to be rude, but this machine has a keyboard that people simply haven't had a chance to become accustomed to using. I know some of us (myself included) had legitimate issues with loud keys. On the flip side, being so picky about "feeling like middle keys are more hallow" will make it hard to be satisfied with your machine.

I for one think the new keyboard mechanism is one of the nicest features that this new generation of MacBook Pros offer. They offer great travel and have a satisfying click, akin to a mechanical keyboard. Is it perfect? No. But I would recommend that you give it some time. This forum can be a HUGE help for identifying issues on our Apple devices, Lord knows I've had my share of issues... But we can also become an echo chamber for issues, real or perceived and it becomes difficult to enjoy something when we are hunting for issues.

I can we can agree to disagree. I have already got use to using the keyboard and typing is not an issue, I don't mind the mechanical feel. I wouldn't go so far as to say it has great travel but again the pressing of the keys is not an issue for me. The new mechanism is also not the issue, the issue is that it's not uniform across the keyboard and that is what is a let down for me. The only way I can describe it is it sounds like there is material under my outer keys that acts as a buffer thus creating no sound. However, the middle ones sound like there is no material under those keys (or heat has tried up what was once there) and thus creating a thud or hollow sound making it sound louder when typing. None of my keys have any high pitch sound.

I have no problem if Apple created it....so that ALL the keys made the same sound as my middle keys, I would say well that is the way Apple created it however that's not the case with mine. I'm going to give it my 2 wk period and then decide if this is something that's going to bother me enough to return.

Reactions: Atreyu25

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
I can we can agree to disagree. I have already got use to using the keyboard and typing is not an issue, I don't mind the mechanical feel. I wouldn't go so far as to say it has great travel but again the pressing of the keys is not an issue for me. The new mechanism is also not the issue, the issue is that it's not uniform across the keyboard and that is what is a let down for me. The only way I can describe it is it sounds like there is material under my outer keys that acts as a buffer thus creating no sound. However, the middle ones sound like there is no material under those keys (or heat has tried up what was once there) and thus creating a thud or hollow sound making it sound louder when typing. None of my keys have any high pitch sound.

I have no problem if Apple created it....so that ALL the keys made the same sound as my middle keys, I would say well that is the way Apple created it however that's not the case with mine. I'm going to give it my 2 wk period and then decide if this is something that's going to bother me enough to return.

I agree with this point of view.

I would also add that consistency is a sign of quality, but more importantly perhaps is that a lack of consistency to the sound and feel of a keyboard can be quite jarring for a touch typist. I imagine that it would bother hunt'n'peck typists less because they have a larger gap between key presses. However, for a fast typist it can sound like playing an out of tune musical instrument rather than typing.

HailAlistair

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2017
Same issue here. The F, H, K keys have the high pitched noise problem, especially when the MacBook is hot. (if you want, I can share a video, it's quite clear from that)

This is my second machine, the first one I had replaced because the Touch ID/Power button was slightly loose and noisy when tapped! (I checked, that MacBook did not have the noisy keys problem, the keyboard was perfect)

PS
I have this machine
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) with Touch Bar
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB
APPLE SSD SM0512L: Capacity: 500.28 GB
AMD Radeon Pro 455 ( VRAM (Total): 2048 MB)

Last edited:

tlday

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016
Same issue here. The F, H, K keys have the high pitched noise problem, especially when the MacBook is hot. (if you want, I can share a video, it's quite clear from that)

This is my second machine, the first one I had replaced because the Touch ID/Power button was slightly loose and noisy when tapped! (I checked, that MacBook did not have the noisy keys problem, the keyboard was perfect)

PS
I have this machine
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) with Touch Bar
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB
APPLE SSD SM0512L: Capacity: 500.28 GB
AMD Radeon Pro 455 ( VRAM (Total): 2048 MB)
Sorry to hear that. I have a third one with same issue, Do you have a plan to return or replace it again?Mine is a BTO machine, I have to wait about 3 weeks to get a new one. And no perfect permitted.:(

HailAlistair

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2017
Sorry to hear that. I have a third one with same issue, Do you have a plan to return or replace it again?Mine is a BTO machine, I have to wait about 3 weeks to get a new one. And no perfect permitted.:(

I will probably ask them to send me another one next week, if nothing changes. It's really annoying when typing. I will keep replacing it until the fifth one, at least. I just love this machine, I cannot give up easily.

tlday

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016
I will probably ask them to send me another one next week, if nothing changes. It's really annoying when typing. I will keep replacing it until the fifth one, at least. I just love this machine, I cannot give up easily.
I love this new macbook too, except the annoying keyboard.Hope you have a good luck. Maybe I should try forth.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I had this on my first machine too but the ones in the Apple Store were the same. Thought it was designed that way.

Jimmyb79

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2008
I got a 15" touchbar today. Previously had a 13" touchbar which I returned after experiencing awful battery life.
Got the new 15" home and found it clicking on the S and U keys when warm.
Turned straight round and back to the Apple Store. Replacement given without question but I remained in store testing it until I was happy. The replacement seemed ok in store so hopefully it'll be ok. Shame though, does knock your confidence in Apple of their quality level these days.

HailAlistair

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2017
I had this on my first machine too but the ones in the Apple Store were the same. Thought it was designed that way.

I went to an Apple Store to check before asking the replacement. There were more than 4 13" with Touch Bar, none of them had the noisy Touch Id button. Of the 4 15" present, only 1 had a very noisy touch id button, as mine did (or even worse). The other 3 had perfectly silent Touch ID button or were just slightly loose, but much much better then mine anyway. I did not check the keyboards because I did not know of the keyboard issue at the time.

So I got mine replaced (on the phone, because it's a MacBook with US keyboard and I live in Switzerland). They sent me the new machine and it arrived in around 1 week. They allowed me to keep mine while the other arrived, so at the moment I have both here: the old one with the noisy/loose Touch ID/Power button (but perfect keyboard), the new one with about 3 noisy keys on the keyboard (but with a good Touch ID button, it's not perfect, but much much better than the other one).

I will send the old one back on Tuesday and then phone Apple again and talk about the keyboard of the new one. It's very strange, though. The keys that I have talked about before (F,H,J) are not always noisy. This morning and yesterday, they were doing the exact same sound of the YouTube videos I have seen in this topic. This evening, instead, I can barelly reproduce the problem. They are doing it very slightly or not at all. I am really hoping that the problem goes away by itself before Tuesday, so I don't have to ask another swap.

Do you know why the noisy keys are just noisy sometimes? Does anybody has this problem only intermittently? Has the problem ever gone away for somebody by just using the keyboard for a while? Yes, I have tried to reproduce the problem this evening with a cold MacBook and a very hot MacBook. So, unless the keys get noisy only at some precise temperature, the temperature does not seem to be the only factor for me.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Oh no! I hate that sound. That's exactly how it sounds the day after you spill a sugary drink on your keyboard when you *thought* you had cleaned it up. Yikes.

cyayon

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
Hi,

While you have to two macbook with you, it could be interesting to try to remove and replace a noisy key...

HailAlistair

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2017
Hi,

While you have to two macbook with you, it could be interesting to try to remove and replace a noisy key...

As far as I know, the keys are not removable. Last time I tried on an old Apple External Keyboard, I broke the key mechanism. They are tiny plastic things, very delicate.

cyayon

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
As far as I know, the keys are not removable. Last time I tried on an old Apple External Keyboard, I broke the key mechanism. They are tiny plastic things, very delicate.

In the last post, there is a user who was brave enough to remove and replace the key with success...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.