Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
First post. Hi.

MBPTB 13 w/ 16gb ram

All outer function keys were making this sound. Settled after a couple hours of use. Now just the number 4. Going to take it into store later today.

Unsure what the date of manufacture is. I shall find that out shortly.

Reactions: d3r3Lict

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Apologies if this has been said already, but you do realise the KB needs some decent usage to break it in? After a couple of months of regular use my keys are uniform in sound and feedback. This has been noticed by others also.

I think that many users are too quick to think their KBs are faulty.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Apologies if this has been said already, but you do realise the KB needs some decent usage to break it in? After a couple of months of regular use my keys are uniform in sound and feedback. This has been noticed by others also.

My man. That's good news. We're your clicks as loud as some of the other guys here. I.e. The YouTube videos that have been posted? If so that's good stuff and I may just hang onto mine for a few more days

cyayon

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
An update - I spent the past few days doing some heavy sound design and video editing work - lots of CPU/GPU use. Today, I noticed my S key no longer makes any clicking noises.

Hi,

What is your manufacture date please ?
Did your keys clicking when your macbook warmed, cold or every time ?
How many days was necessary to eliminate clicking noises ?

Thanks.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
My man. That's good news. We're your clicks as loud as some of the other guys here. I.e. The YouTube videos that have been posted? If so that's good stuff and I may just hang onto mine for a few more days

Yep - when i first got the machine I posted a mini-review on here which included me saying the KB was very loud. It has definitely improved.

Keithboon

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2017
Hi guys, i have a macbook pro 15 inch 2.7ghz pro 460 and i have the high pitched sound on my v,x,l,h,g, and f and my manufacture date is 9.1.2017 and i asking a replacement for 9.2.2017 after chinese new year apple will collect this macbook pro, hope i receive a Feb model with all the issue fixed =( i cant refund the macbook pro because i registered for installment plan from my bank it cost me 7% interest, and if i request refund the bank will count it as early settlements it will fine me for MYR 100 =(

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
Hi,

What is your manufacture date please ?
Did your keys clicking when your macbook warmed, cold or every time ?
How many days was necessary to eliminate clicking noises ?

Thanks.

1/2/17. Keys clicked when warmed. I've had the computer for less than a week, and the issue is gone.

AlanHarper

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2016
Malibu beach house
I sent email with video and this thread link and i also posted what one member had done with his keyboard. He took the key off and pressed it and put the key back. And now i can go there and the technician will do same thing for my affected keys. I set appoitment on monday so il post here again if my issue got fixed. :)

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010

I would consider "needs usage to break it in, before which it fails erratically" to be "faulty".

Csanko

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2017
Denmark
First post, Hi!
Just found this thread after i realized this malfunction from my "A" key. The noise started when my mbp15 started heating. Then i completely shut all activity and went back to it 5min afterwards. The noise wasn't there any more. Thank god!

- Tip, let it cool. I believe it's the glue that reacts when it's heated. Sadly, hoped to do a bit of playing on this massive macbook pro though :(

cyayon

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
First post, Hi!
Just found this thread after i realized this malfunction from my "A" key. The noise started when my mbp15 started heating. Then i completely shut all activity and went back to it 5min afterwards. The noise wasn't there any more. Thank god!

- Tip, let it cool. I believe it's the glue that reacts when it's heated. Sadly, hoped to do a bit of playing on this massive macbook pro though :(

Hi,

Glue on the back side of the key ? or in/on the top case of the macbook itself ?

thx

cyayon

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
Underneath the key itself of
course. Well, i'm not aware of the materiel it's build of.
Hi,

it could be interesting to remove the key (someone done it on this forum) and check or replace with a new one ... Perhaps with a genious in Apple Store to be sure ...

Csanko

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2017
Denmark
aaaaa
Hi,

it could be interesting to remove the key (someone done it on this forum) and check or replace with a new one ... Perhaps with a genious in Apple Store to be sure ...
I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. Either return to apple or see the nearest premium apple store/reseller.

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
First post, Hi!

This is correct. When I pulled up the faulty keys to clean them excess glue was in the key slot. It can be scraped out but only so much with out damaging the key. But yes I do believe it is glue that expands when hot.

Reactions: Csanko

cyayon

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
This is correct. When I pulled up the faulty keys to clean them excess glue was in the key slot. It can be scraped out but only so much with out damaging the key. But yes I do believe it is glue that expands when hot.
Hi,

How did you remove the faulty key please ?

AllThingsWild

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2017
My keyboard is hollow sounding and "clunky" towards the middle. Is anyone else experiencing this? Its not the same sound as originally reported in this thread.

kokhoong0624

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2015
Hi guys, i have a macbook pro 15 inch 2.7ghz pro 460 and i have the high pitched sound on my v,x,l,h,g, and f and my manufacture date is 9.1.2017 and i asking a replacement for 9.2.2017 after chinese new year apple will collect this macbook pro, hope i receive a Feb model with all the issue fixed =( i cant refund the macbook pro because i registered for installment plan from my bank it cost me 7% interest, and if i request refund the bank will count it as early settlements it will fine me for MYR 100 =(
Hi!!! You're Malaysian? Are you in the whatsapp group or the lowyat forums? I think I met you somewhere..

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
My keyboard is hollow sounding and "clunky" towards the middle. Is anyone else experiencing this? Its not the same sound as originally reported in this thread.
Yup mine did that too and others have said the same, your not the only one lol it's one of the reasons I returned mine. I didn't have any high pitched keys but mine were hollow sounding in the middle and quiet on the outer keys. It was not uniform at all. I really wanted to keep it, loved the screen, smaller form factor, miss the large track pad and SG. I'm back in a 2015 Pro and its big and I can feel that extra 1/2 lb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.