Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I know exactly how you feel. I'm also so ****ing done with this laptop to be honest. I've always been a huge Apple fan, had many MBPs and have always had a positive experience. Until, this POS 2016 MBP, I have been to an Apple store 3 times already and I'm going again this Saturday. I've barely had a chance to even use my bloody laptop and it costs $3499, what a joke. I can buy a better spec'd laptop for 1/3 of the price and I'd actually have a working keyboard...

I am also experiencing the clicking keyboard issue. Actually, my MBP has already had it's keyboard replaced since I first got it; the up arrow was not working when I first received it. Then, just yesterday, I noticed that the 'b' key sometimes registers twice. And then, after that, when I get the temperatures up high, then the clicking keys issue will occur.

I also have another issue where sometimes, the MBP will not wake from sleep. The touchbar still shows and I can still unlock using my fingerprint, however, closing the lid, opening the lid, pressing the power button, turning up or down the brightness; none of those work. Only solution is to literally hold the power button to turn off, then turning back on using the power button. Wow, serious? A $3499 laptop that can't even wake from sleep.

For the other times I've been to the Apple store, I've only gotten BS responses like "Sorry, we can't trust everything we read online because it's not a reputable source". So, basically even pointing the freaking "Geniuses" to MacRumors threads or even, Apple Community forums makes it a "non-reputable source".

/endrant
Document your issues. Be organized. If the Apple Support you get isn't the Apple Support you are used to call in.. and keep asking until you get someone high enough that will listen. This IS NOT FUN. I have spent no less than 4-5 hours on the phone and countless emails on just my issue.

If the laptop isn't working correctly, push for Apple to fix it. Don't give up. These are very expensive machines and it is VERY unfortunate that we have to spend A LOT of time to have them right.. but IMO, get what you paid for.
[doublepost=1502802253][/doublepost]
I know exactly how you feel. I'm also so ****ing done with this laptop to be honest. I've always been a huge Apple fan, had many MBPs and have always had a positive experience. Until, this POS 2016 MBP, I have been to an Apple store 3 times already and I'm going again this Saturday. I've barely had a chance to even use my bloody laptop and it costs $3499, what a joke. I can buy a better spec'd laptop for 1/3 of the price and I'd actually have a working keyboard...

I am also experiencing the clicking keyboard issue. Actually, my MBP has already had it's keyboard replaced since I first got it; the up arrow was not working when I first received it. Then, just yesterday, I noticed that the 'b' key sometimes registers twice. And then, after that, when I get the temperatures up high, then the clicking keys issue will occur.

I also have another issue where sometimes, the MBP will not wake from sleep. The touchbar still shows and I can still unlock using my fingerprint, however, closing the lid, opening the lid, pressing the power button, turning up or down the brightness; none of those work. Only solution is to literally hold the power button to turn off, then turning back on using the power button. Wow, serious? A $3499 laptop that can't even wake from sleep.

For the other times I've been to the Apple store, I've only gotten BS responses like "Sorry, we can't trust everything we read online because it's not a reputable source". So, basically even pointing the freaking "Geniuses" to MacRumors threads or even, Apple Community forums makes it a "non-reputable source".

/endrant
I had a manager respond to me this way. From how things have gone for me I would say this is NOT how Apple serves its customers. Find a different route. When the manager kept telling me the people online were lying I held my (repaired) machine up to him and said, "I am one of them, am not lying."

Don't give up. Request Customer Relations and don't stop until it's right.
[doublepost=1502802840][/doublepost]I want to say that Apple has taken care of me. It wouldn't have happened without the help of certain people/persons who are doing good work and are the reason people stick with Apple.

I don't know that I am going to go into all the details of my solution other than to say that I am very happy with the ultimate solution but also frustrated in what it took to get there. With, that said, I think these issues are not indicative of all Apple products and the repairs are not indicative of all Apple repairs IMO.

To anyone having a real issue with your machine, drink some patience juice, gear up for the task and get after it. Asking a company to send you a $2K+ machine is no small ask. Asking for something like that requires a legitimate issue and documented proof. I am not saying those aren't there.. I am just saying be prepared to provide it.

Again, my issue is soon to be resolved. I am happy with the proposal and the actions I have seen on it. I wish everyone going through this good luck.

small.zack

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2017
Hi guys, I posted a while back. I went through 12 machines, (lost count, but found out they saved in my icloud) 4 repairs and eventually I just gave up. By gave up I mean I finally just sent back the new model and settled for a retina. I loaded it up online and had it special ordered but I'm still so disappointed that I won't have the new model for this coming year. I've been keeping up on the status of the keyboard and noticed that they did change it, but from what I'm hearing the new one can be even worse than the original. I considered digging up the old info on one of my senior advisors and seeing if they would be able to do anything for me to aid in getting the new one.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Hi guys, I posted a while back. I went through 12 machines, (lost count, but found out they saved in my icloud) 4 repairs and eventually I just gave up. By gave up I mean I finally just sent back the new model and settled for a retina. I loaded it up online and had it special ordered but I'm still so disappointed that I won't have the new model for this coming year. I've been keeping up on the status of the keyboard and noticed that they did change it, but from what I'm hearing the new one can be even worse than the original. I considered digging up the old info on one of my senior advisors and seeing if they would be able to do anything for me to aid in getting the new one.
4 repairs.. did you ever specifically ask for a replacement? If you haven't, you should IMO.

small.zack

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2017
4 repairs.. did you ever specifically ask for a replacement? If you haven't, you should IMO.
I had 12 replacements (some of which I allowed them to "repair" & by repair I mean send out the computer for 6 days for so they can put the same faulty keyboard on my laptop with different keys) but around lucky #11 it came back from repair and we opened it up in the store and the Touch ID would not work whatsoever. I nearly blew up, they gave me another one...back to square one. I took that one home played around with it and the keys clicked away. Took it straight back, bought a base 15" pro retina that I used for the time it took for my loaded 13" retina to be built. Really annoying experience.

SeanG1027

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2016
Detroit
Please tell me they at least gave you the option of refund / replacement. Otherwise I would seriously flip if they just said "Oh sorry to hear you're having that issue... Good luck!", which seems to be the usual response...
After the third replacement I demanded a refund and they told me it was outside of the 14 day return period lol. So I told them I was going to take it up with my financial institution, which I did. The bank sided with me.

Reactions: Queen6

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Smart move.
It sucks that it has to come to that but I understand. Had I found my issue earlier in the process I might have been forced to do the same thing. If I could have done that versus hours on the phone, trips to the FedEx store.. and more time on the phone..I would have been tempted.. our time is valuable and this was a very not-normal situation IMO.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
France
This thread saves people money, me included. I keep my old MBP instead. When I feel the urge to buy a new one, I read the thread and scrap the idea of throwing 3000$ at Apple.

peraspera

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2016

/endrant

Many multiples of reports about the same issue on multiple sites lends serious credence to said reports. Very politely ask to be shown Apple database evidence that the issue you are experiencing is not a frequently reported one. The information will not be forthcoming. At that point ask the person to whom are speaking to please refrain from the any further insulting, contemptuous conversation and to focus on solving the problem.

Document the issues you are having, all the steps that have failed to fix them and how much time you have been without functional use of your MBP. It is worth trying to capture the issues on video if at all possible.

Call Apple and ask to speak with Apple Care and methodically lay out your case. Make a point of telling them how rude and insulting you found it that the Apple Geniuses tried to blow off the problems you are experiencing by completely discounting long threads about the same issues on forums. If one has their documentation ducks in a row and is impeccably polite it is highly unusual that an Apple Care rep won't try to go the extra mile to resolve persistent issues.

iPeterW

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
Germany
Just picked up my 2016 MBP w/ TB (15") at the Apple Store after it's been there for almost three weeks. They replaced the top case and also the logic board after "some connector would not fit correctly". I now seem to have a 2017 keyboard as there are now icons on the lower left keys that where not there before. Fit and finish after the repair looks good. I will give the machine an extensive workout over the weekend in order to see if everything is okay now.

itsasin

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2017
No way, so a 2017 version is the only fix? I would've just bought a 2017 haha
Well it is possible that a top case replacement from 2017 does fix the problem. It fixed my keyboard issues.

However, in my case, it made my crackling noise issue a lot worse than before. So I had to get it repaired a second time, still have not heard anything back.

Reactions: wgr73

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
OH wow man, ok I'll definitely return this. I don't want anything to pop up. I can live with the space bar but if other keys do this eventually I can't live with that

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
That's kind of how I feel.

I've noticed it's only happening when the computer is HOT which is few and far between....so I'll buy a 2017 and compare the two. Return the least effected model

aziadeh

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2017
Hey guys,

So I have 2.7 Ghz 13" 2016 model with same problems. Just came back from the apple store where I was told, verbatim, that " No where on the apple website you can find a statement saying that the key sounds won't change with heat" and the best thing I was offered is to record the sound and they'll raise the issue with technical ( since they apple "genuis" wasn't really convinced there's even a problem) and they gave me a case number. So much for customer service... What are my options ?

jeh72

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2016
Hey guys,

So I have 2.7 Ghz 13" 2016 model with same problems. Just came back from the apple store where I was told, verbatim, that " No where on the apple website you can find a statement saying that the key sounds won't change with heat" and the best thing I was offered is to record the sound and they'll raise the issue with technical ( since they apple "genuis" wasn't really convinced there's even a problem) and they gave me a case number. So much for customer service... What are my options ?
Wow...what horrible customer service. Denying that it is even a problem at all. This is the kind of thing that I would expect with HP, not apple

uw205

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2017
I just came back from the Apple Store to pick up my macbook pro after sending it in for repair for this issue and they replaced my top case with a 2017 version (part #661-07954) and from what I can tell so far, the high pitched clicking issue is no longer there. I also had that random clicking/popping issue, which resulted in my display getting replaced and so far so good on that front too. We'll see if this holds up over time, but I'm optimistic.

Reactions: MrGuder and iPeterW

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I don't know if I updated.. so I will. After multiple repairs I requested a replacement and was able to document and provide proof of the issue on repaired laptop.. I was issued a replacement and allowed to pay to upgrade RAM. I sent my 2016 in and received a 2017 16/512 13" replacement...

When I turned on the replacement I tried to go through startup it kept locking up based on a Critical Software issue.. I was like this has to be a bad joke. I took it to the Apple Store and the Lead Tech was super nice and worked with me on the issue. It seems some BTO models can have wifi/startup issues and he was able to get it working via Ethernet connection. I told him at the time I should just pay the difference and move to the 15" as I am cursed with the 13". He said don't reinstall OS and see how it goes for a week.

So I get the replacement 13" MBP home and start messing around with it. I am NOT looking/testing for the issue as I have AC+ on it and am OVER the repair cycle. Then... I see that I am low on battery so I plug it in to charge and keep working.. then I get a battery warning.. the laptop isn't charging. I try all the ports.. no charging. I restart... no charging.. ANNOYED is an understatement.

I reset some PRAM (?? ) per Google and it seems to start charging but this thing is 3 hours old. I also noticed that some of the programs that came on other laptops were not on this one.

So I go back to the Apple Store and I see the Lead Tech outside on break and let him know it's not charging. Inside, they get me to a rep pretty quickly and I am informed that if I want, I can get the base 15" as an even swap. I take it. Can't say no to that and I pay the extra $100 for AC+.

The only thing is that I am used to having 512 and I have 256. From my analysis, 256 should be fine for 3+ years and I likely don't NEED 512. My CR rep has offered to help me with exchange for 512 if I want to go that route.

I guess.. what I really want to share is that after a bad interaction with ONE Apple employee.. I have received nothing but STELLAR service from EVERY SINGLE other Apple employee that I have encountered in the store, on the phone and other places.

I hope others get their issues resolved to their satisfaction.

Reactions: MrGuder

ahmedouvix

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
i am getting the late 2016 15" for 1900$. got a good deal using the students discount. but i am a little worried about this issue

is it resolved or i should lose hope? i don't want to get 2015 and can't afford the 2017

don't really know what should i do and i am afraid when i face this problem i can't send it to repair as there are no apple stores in my country and i have the worst luck ever

jeh72

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2016
i am getting the late 2016 15" for 1900$. got a good deal using the students discount. but i am a little worried about this issue

is it resolved or i should lose hope? i don't want to get 2015 and can't afford the 2017

don't really know what should i do and i am afraid when i face this problem i can't send it to repair as there are no apple stores in my country and i have the worst luck ever
If you get a 2016 and it has issues, it should still be under warranty so just take it in to the Apple Store so they can fix it. Hopefully they will replace it with a 2017 top case if you have issues

ahmedouvix

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
If you get a 2016 and it has issues, it should still be under warranty so just take it in to the Apple Store so they can fix it. Hopefully they will replace it with a 2017 top case if you have issues

I am moving to a country that has no apple stores. Just authorised resellers i wouldn't trust. That's why i am worried i face this problem after moving. Kinda high risk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.