Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I think once the repair depots have the right parts (NOTE this is my OPINION).. then the issue is reduced significantly. IMO, the problem here (unlike normal repairs) is that repairs start a repair cycle/loop..
[doublepost=1503691356][/doublepost]FWIW.. Apple let me pay the difference and upgrade my RAM.. via going to the 2017 15" 2.9 15/512.. and I am stoked. I paid the difference in the models.. I am good for years.
You made the right decision...let us know how the new one goes when you get it.

iPeterW

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
Germany
Well, after after my top case was replaced two weeks ago, I have yet to experience the keyboard issues again. So, for the moment, I'm quite happy with the 2017 keyboard I got. But... now my display lid is unpleasantly rattling when moving it in order to adjust it or to open/close it. And I suddenly heard a similar "clack" sound while running two WMware machines simultaneously and significantly heating up the machine (without having to move the display lid).

I just made another appointment at the Apple Store for next week...

Sampe

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2017
Hi everybody!!

I'm writing from a 13 MBP 2017 no-touch bar. I have the famous problems whit high pitched sound when the machine is hot clicking the keys I-U-Y. No other problems (for now :D ).

I agree with the idea that there is an engineering problem: the temperatures that can be reached are too high. An Italian reviewer showed that the TDP of the 2017 model is very high compared to other PCs. The keyboard simply can't dissipate the heat when the temperature is about 90-100°C. Maybe the apple will reduce performance with high sierra to lower the temperatures, i don't know.

At the moment i don't want to return in an apple store, i think is useless.

Thanks for the topic, is very useful!! And sorry for my poor english :p

Last edited:

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
So, curious what the consensus is these days? My 2016 is suffering from the bizarre sound on multiple keys, and my G key randomly sticks from time to time. It started out on only a few keys and seems to have spread to nearly a dozen. I keep this thing clean and wipe it down/blow air on it almost daily. My computer frequently heats up because I have an eGPU and a 5k Ultrafine...so I notice this issue almost constantly.

I was in the apple store picking up a CTO 2017 for work the other week and was talking to a genius about it and he kinda laughed me out of the store. Suggested they've never heard of such 'non sense' before. I've even emailed Tim Cook (not that I expected a response) twice about the issue. BTW, my 2017 at work is three weeks old and so far hasn't had any keyboard issues.

I've been dreading scheduling an appointment in fear that the problem won't reproduce in store or techs will tinker with it cold in the back and determine there is no problem. What to do? Would love some advice.

jeh72

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2016
So, curious what the consensus is these days? My 2016 is suffering from the bizarre sound on multiple keys, and my G key randomly sticks from time to time. It started out on only a few keys and seems to have spread to nearly a dozen. I keep this thing clean and wipe it down/blow air on it almost daily. My computer frequently heats up because I have an eGPU and a 5k Ultrafine...so I notice this issue almost constantly.

I was in the apple store picking up a CTO 2017 for work the other week and was talking to a genius about it and he kinda laughed me out of the store. Suggested they've never heard of such 'non sense' before. I've even emailed Tim Cook (not that I expected a response) twice about the issue. BTW, my 2017 at work is three weeks old and so far hasn't had any keyboard issues.

I've been dreading scheduling an appointment in fear that the problem won't reproduce in store or techs will tinker with it cold in the back and determine there is no problem. What to do? Would love some advice.
Get to your appointment early, plug it in, and run CPU (and GPU if you have 15") apps to heat it up before the tech looks at it. Unfortunately "genius " techs not taking people seriously and denying that there are any issues with this seems to be pretty common, unless you can show them in person that there is a problem

Reactions: rawweb

Queen6

macrumors G4
Get to your appointment early, plug it in, and run CPU (and GPU if you have 15") apps to heat it up before the tech looks at it. Unfortunately "genius " techs not taking people seriously and denying that there are any issues with this seems to be pretty common, unless you can show them in person that there is a problem

Naturally, Apple decried the dGPU issues of the MBP for years :rolleyes: Frankly it turns me off their product, as feel Apple rather holds us in contempt as it users.

Q-6

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
I've booked an appointment, sadly nothing available until Wednesday. Hoping for some actual help this time :(

What I wrote, hopefully it helps me:

2016 15" - 2.9 RP460
"The Y key on my keyboard randomly sticks. Several keys making a high pitched 'clicking' sound when the computer is heated up after a bit of heavy use, encoding video, etc. Keys effected include: 3,4,5,6,7,y,tab,delete,w,i,h,caps. This has been happening for months but has gotten progressively worse and has started effecting more keys. Seems to be an issue shared by many on the net. This same problem is not present on my 15" 2017 model at work? Can the keyboard be replaced?

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
More importantly, why are you using the password field when you can use the finger print reader? Typing in passwords is old school when you have the 2016/2017 model.

I gather that you do not have this model, or it is possible I am not using it as intended.

On cold boot, you need to enter password to login. After that, there are times it is required and times you can do with Touch ID. High Sierra may be fully baked as he called it, but Touch ID support is not fully baked into the software just yet. ;)

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
France
I just tested the 2017 15" model with Radeon Pro 560 under gaming load and I did not find any key having issues.

dgnr8

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
I just bought a 13 inch 2016 pro from the refurb store and the delete key has the funny sound. I don't really care about the sound, but is it a sign of a keyboard that is going to fail early?

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I just bought a 13 inch 2016 pro from the refurb store and the delete key has the funny sound. I don't really care about the sound, but is it a sign of a keyboard that is going to fail early?

No. My 2016 13" with TB keyboard works very fine and I am in the equatorial regions with everyday ambient room temps hovering well above 35℃ during summers. Purchased in November '16. Sometimes, 2-3 keys have "repeaatedd" and sometimes they have "missd" but otherwise, everything has been working beautifully so far. Don't fret and just use the laptop.

Before the year comes to and end, purchase AppleCare - I did not for my Late 2011 MBP 15, but I am reasonably sure I will do it for this notebook. I have 3 months to decide. ;)

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I gather that you do not have this model, or it is possible I am not using it as intended.

On cold boot, you need to enter password to login. After that, there are times it is required and times you can do with Touch ID. High Sierra may be fully baked as he called it, but Touch ID support is not fully baked into the software just yet. ;)
Yes of course you need a password on boot up and other random times. I don't usually need to ever reboot my 2017 but yeah it does ask for password on other times but I'm not having any of the problems you mentioned. I've never had a problem entering my password, takes it every time.

My point is I try to always use the finger print when possible and it works perfectly as does the times when it requires my physical password. I'm not getting any double letters or symbols. I hope this helps clarify, I'd suggest if your having those kind of issues to make an apt for Apple to look at your password field not working properly.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
An appointment opened up earlier this evening and I slid in. Apple employee was beyond courteous and has sent it out for repair.

Very hopeful for a completely new top case. Hoping for a 2017 keyboard like others have reported as there seems to be less issues.

I'll update as I learn more.

ahmedouvix

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
my I key was no longer working after 12 days of purchase. replaced with 2017 and I feel the keyboard is different in better way. hopefully no more issues

jeh72

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2016
This past weekend I opened the 2017 15" that I've had sitting on my desk for 2 months (debating whether to sell it..).
I gamed on it quite a bit this past weekend to heat it up, and I didn't notice any of the high pitched key issues that I had with my 2016. Some keys sound slightly different than others, but nothing even close to the extent of the 2016's problems.

The keyboard feels nicer too, but I'm not sure if that's just because it's a new machine.

I did notice that there is absolutely no turbo boost in bootcamp though (i7 7920)...

Reactions: ahmedouvix

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
This past weekend I opened the 2017 15" that I've had sitting on my desk for 2 months (debating whether to sell it..).
I gamed on it quite a bit this past weekend to heat it up, and I didn't notice any of the high pitched key issues that I had with my 2016. Some keys sound slightly different than others, but nothing even close to the extent of the 2016's problems.

The keyboard feels nicer too, but I'm not sure if that's just because it's a new machine.

I did notice that there is absolutely no turbo boost in bootcamp though (i7 7920)...

I have the 2017 at work, typing on it right now, and let me tell you, I can feel a difference. It's slight but the 2017 keyboard, imo, fixed something. Had this for a month already with some pretty intense web design/video encoding and haven't had any of the issues my personal 2016 has had.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I have the 2017 at work, typing on it right now, and let me tell you, I can feel a difference. It's slight but the 2017 keyboard, imo, fixed something. Had this for a month already with some pretty intense web design/video encoding and haven't had any of the issues my personal 2016 has had.

My 2016 has had its fair share of heating up for a variety of reasons plus the ambient temp in India. Nothing so far. I will still get the AppleCare though for this, maybe. I want to know how much is the keyboard replacement going to cost in itself. I might get it done if I feel the keyboard to be better in the new 2017 notebooks - have not yet had the chance to go test them out.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
My 2016 has had its fair share of heating up for a variety of reasons plus the ambient temp in India. Nothing so far. I will still get the AppleCare though for this, maybe. I want to know how much is the keyboard replacement going to cost in itself. I might get it done if I feel the keyboard to be better in the new 2017 notebooks - have not yet had the chance to go test them out.

$795 USD according to the work authorization I got from Apple...

Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
$795 USD according to the work authorization I got from Apple...

Yeah well then no need. :p

I will probably wait for something to develop only keyboard, or till it lasts. The only charm I have is the symbols - that was a longstanding need and it is really just sad they did not do that on the 2016 notebooks. That is really shameful on their part.

Regards to better tactile feel, I can't comment if that is indeed so or if I desire it, since I have not felt it and I am generally okay with this new keyboard - coming from 2011 MBP 15's plushy mushy. I remember I had a cherry blue MX keyboard and bought an Apple Keyboard (those white keys) and I remember how the keyboard had felt like a soft mushy thing. It was an adjustment.

aziadeh

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2017
Hey guys,

So I have 2.7 Ghz 13" 2016 model with same problems. Just came back from the apple store where I was told, verbatim, that " No where on the apple website you can find a statement saying that the key sounds won't change with heat" and the best thing I was offered is to record the sound and they'll raise the issue with technical ( since they apple "genuis" wasn't really convinced there's even a problem) and they gave me a case number. So much for customer service... What are my options ?

So a small update. I went back and spoke to Apple online support and sent them a video of the incident. They asked me to send it to another service shop ( they were MUCH more helpful), they switched the topcase ( keyboard,battery,touchid) and as far as I can tell it worked out well. I haven't tested it heavily but at least it's much better now

Sampe

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2017
Guys, if you want to heavily test cpu/gpu you can use "Heaven benchmark" with highest settings. Stressing only the CPU does not allow to reach the maximum temperatures :)

Reactions: rawweb

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
Guys, if you want to heavily test cpu/gpu you can use "Heaven benchmark" with highest settings. Stressing only the CPU does not allow to reach the maximum temperatures :)

Agree with Sampe.

My mbp has now been gone 7 days...hoping for it to return soon.

Reactions: Sampe

aziadeh

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2017
I'll do that tonight and get back to you guys !

Reactions: Sampe

KillaZap

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2017
I was able to fix this issue myself simply by removing the key, pressing on the button a bunch of times, then reseating the key. I was a little bit nervous about removing the keys at first but it turned out to be pretty simple. All you have to do is insert a credit card under the center of the top of the key, move it to one side to pop that side off then move it to the other side to pop the other side off. When replacing the key you have to first put the bottom clips on the hinge then press the two top corners down firmly.

I have the MicroCenter accidental damage coverage so I wasn't too worried about messing it up since I was going to bring it there if I couldn't fix it myself anyway.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
Well...good news and bad.

After 6/7 days I got my MacBook Pro back today! It has the revised keyboard that features the symbols on the control/option keys, like my work 2017 model. Typing on it right now. So far so good...They replaced the entire top case, battery and logic board.

The bad news...found a nice ding and some surface scratches on the outside display. Not sure if the repair center handled it wrong or it happened in shipping. Not happy..I'm very glad I had the employee take time to analyze and note the imacculate condition of my notebook prior to having it sent in. I'm also thankful I reminded myself to give it a thorough exam in store before accepting the repair. Otherwise I would be stuck with all the free dings. Now I have to wait 3-5 days for the store to get a replacement display assembly and then another 3-5 for them to work on it...they let me keep it for now. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.