Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
France
That is just crazy. People buy notebooks for 3000$ and get this level of support. Other vendors got on site support: They come to your home and fix the notebook at your place. Even if they do not have that kind of support, they will get you a loaner if it takes long. I do not understand how apple can possibly get high ratings for their support.

Imagine if you depend on the notebook for your work. What do people do? Buy two notebooks to have one as a replacement? It seems absolutely ridiculous.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
That is just crazy. People buy notebooks for 3000$ and get this level of support. Other vendors got on site support: They come to your home and fix the notebook at your place. Even if they do not have that kind of support, they will get you a loaner if it takes long. I do not understand how apple can possibly get high ratings for their support.

Imagine if you depend on the notebook for your work. What do people do? Buy two notebooks to have one as a replacement? It seems absolutely ridiculous.

I'm really quite upset, to be honest. The only thing that would make up for them scratching and dinging it to hell would be to give me a new unit sealed in box. But that wasn't offered. I expect my equipment returned to me in the same or better condition than when I surrendered it.

jeh72

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2016
When I sent my 2016 out I'm pretty sure an edge ding that it came back with was not there to begin with. And when the touch bar finally failed I'm pretty sure it was because their repair depot didn't install it correctly. This is almost as bad as HP's Depot repair.
My 2017 hasn't had any issues so far though...I'm crossing my fingers

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
When I sent my 2016 out I'm pretty sure an edge ding that it came back with was not there to begin with. And when the touch bar finally failed I'm pretty sure it was because their repair depot didn't install it correctly. This is almost as bad as HP's Depot repair.
My 2017 hasn't had any issues so far though...I'm crossing my fingers

They eventually offered you a 2017? Thankfully I was able to prove/confirm the damage was caused by them.

Just got off a 2 hour chat with a senior advisor that offered me no real help. Said I should wait for the part at the store and then wait for them to attempt repair. Said the Houston repair depot is not fully functioning and might experience longer delays than letting the local store repair. Wasn't willing to grant a swap, nor was he willing to offer AppleCare+ purchase even if repair personal certified it during repair. :(

This has become a colossal waste of time. Too bad Tim Cook has never responded to my emails...

jeh72

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2016
They eventually offered you a 2017? Thankfully I was able to prove/confirm the damage was caused by them.

Just got off a 2 hour chat with a senior advisor that offered me no real help. Said I should wait for the part at the store and then wait for them to attempt repair. Said the Houston repair depot is not fully functioning and might experience longer delays than letting the local store repair. Wasn't willing to grant a swap, nor was he willing to offer AppleCare+ purchase even if repair personal certified it during repair. :(

This has become a colossal waste of time. Too bad Tim Cook has never responded to my emails...
I was only offered a new 2017 because I had been into the store something like 6 times in just 3 months because of keyboard problems, and finally the touchbar dying completely. The general consensus on this thread seems to be that the 2017 keyboards are much better, with the exception of the non-TB 13 keyboard (still has high pitched key problem). If they can replace your display because of the damage and they've already given you a 2017 top case...hopefully that will be the end of your problems.

itsasin

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2017

Mine was repaired three times by an authorized Apple reseller for different reasons (new ones even kept popping up because of the repairs as well), so I eventually decided to call Apple directly and a senior advisor from the technical support basically told me that if after those three times, there would still be issues, there would be arrangement able to me made perhaps. So when mine came back with a faulty trackpad because they replaced the top case for a second time, the guy from Apple basically immediately offered me a brand new 2017 model to be shipped directly via Apple so I do not have to go through any of the authorized reseller mess again, even though this particular model is € 100 more than my original purchasing price.

I do not get how all of this can happen to me and all of you guys. I got a surpringly fast and good solution in the end, but many seem a lot less lucky. I hope you will finally get a fully working unit this time, because it sounds bananas. Such a shame that you are not offered a replacement or even a better option, like some. Did the senior advisor explain why you still are not getting a replacement or any other options?

Reactions: rawweb

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
France
You got a surprisingly fast solution after having it in service three times? I think those three times are pretty bad in the first place.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
Such a shame that you are not offered a replacement or even a better option, like some. Did the senior advisor explain why you still are not getting a replacement or any other options?

My guess is because this will only be the second time in their magical three attempt policy. When it's all said and done I'll be without my computer for about 3 weeks!

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
The local apple store will have to repair my damaged screen. I'm concerned that this kind of repair is difficult even with machine hands. Should I be concerned about them potentially damaging the new top case/keyboard/touch bar?

Looking at the factory condition of the display, I have to imagine the lineup of the hinges is pretty difficult to get right. Is there anything I can do ahead of turning it back in? I wish I could get AppleCare+ on this unit...very nervous about issues down the road.

itsasin

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2017
The local apple store will have to repair my damaged screen. I'm concerned that this kind of repair is difficult even with machine hands. Should I be concerned about them potentially damaging the new top case/keyboard/touch bar?

Looking at the factory condition of the display, I have to imagine the lineup of the hinges is pretty difficult to get right. Is there anything I can do ahead of turning it back in? I wish I could get AppleCare+ on this unit...very nervous about issues down the road.
It is almost kind of sad to say that you're "lucky" if you hit the three repairs mark and Apple immediately takes action and just solves it. My latest repair was the replacement of the display, and even though I do not suffer from any severe problems like you, I have the impression that something is off. When I open the display I get a pretty concerning sound, which was already the case before, but it seems to have gotten worse. Just a lot of cracking and creaking sounds coming from the hinge now while moving the screen, not internally like before. If I lift up my MacBook Pro in order to move it, I now feel this weird "bubble" and there seems to be a lot of space between the display and the metal or whatever it is. Kind of wobbly or something, idk. I can kind of play around with the back and hear and feel it moving. I did not notice this before, so it seems like display "repairs" are pretty difficult to do perfectly or something. What I ended up with of course it nothing compared to some others, but I am still happy that I do not have to keep this unit because I am the type of person who gets so bothered by this up to the point that I would simply hate using the device.

Why haven't you returned it like straight after your issues became obvious? Sorry if I missed something. I never got the option to return mine, no matter how much I wished to at one point.

jeh72

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2016

I think that the screen comes as a pre-assembled unit (from the hinges on up) from the factory so all the in-store tech has to do is disassemble your laptop down to the point where they can swap the screen out with the new one. It's a lot of tedious work to disassemble a mbp that much, but it's what they are trained to do.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if it is returned to you and *still* has obvious issues, I would demand a replacement.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
UPDATE:
I received an email and call today that the part (display) arrived at my apple store and that I should turn it in for repair. I drove over immediately. Upon arrival, the rep suddenly told me to expect to be without it for 10-15 days. I was operating under the impression that it would take about 3 days or so.

I was bummed and started asking why it would take so long. Rep told me because of the hurricanes they won't be able to turn it around fast and that repairing screens is complicated. I then asked why they'd ship it out because I was told it would be repaired in store. He said they don't repair screens on the new MacBook's in store. I was miffed...that's not what I was told when I was in Saturday! Overall, the rep was very unfriendly and basically treated me like a moron. I should have demanded better answers, but due to how busy they were, and his demanor, I didn't feel like making a scene.

This is ridiculous. If this is true, I'll have been without my unit for 20-25 days! :(

Why haven't you returned it like straight after your issues became obvious? Sorry if I missed something. I never got the option to return mine, no matter how much I wished to at one point.

I purchased back in February. Keyboard issues (2 or 3 seldom used keys) slowly started showing several weeks/months after. Just before I turned it in it had spread to 9 different keys. The display issue was caused by them during the repair/shipping.

I think that the screen comes as a pre-assembled unit (from the hinges on up) from the factory so all the in-store tech has to do is disassemble your laptop down to the point where they can swap the screen out with the new one. It's a lot of tedious work to disassemble a mbp that much, but it's what they are trained to do.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if it is returned to you and *still* has obvious issues, I would demand a replacement.

Thank you for the information. Your message has actually made me feel better about all of this...hoping for the best.

Last edited:

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
UPDATE:
I received an email and call today that the part (display) arrived at my apple store and that I should turn it in for repair. I drove over immediately. Upon arrival, the rep suddenly told me to expect to be without it for 10-15 days. I was operating under the impression that it would take about 3 days or so.

I was bummed and started asking why it would take so long. Rep told me because of the hurricanes they won't be able to turn it around fast and that repairing screens is complicated. I then asked why they'd ship it out because I was told it would be repaired in store. He said they don't repair screens on the new MacBook's in store. I was miffed...that's not what I was told when I was in Saturday! Overall, the rep was very unfriendly and basically treated me like a moron. I should have demanded better answers, but due to how busy they were, and his demanor, I didn't feel like making a scene.

This is ridiculous. If this is true, I'll have been without my unit for 20-25 days! :(

I purchased back in February. Keyboard issues (2 or 3 seldom used keys) slowly started showing several weeks/months after. Just before I turned it in it had spread to 9 different keys. The display issue was caused by them during the repair/shipping.

Thank you for the information. Your message has actually made me feel better about all of this...hoping for the best.
Is this a 2016 or 2017?

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Hey guys, this is my machine:

It's a unit they refurbished for me after I took it in for other issues. Will they fix it? It's not a big deal, but I'm not happy and it sounds pathetic.. I do a lot of intensive work so my Mac is often hot.

Nonnieee

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2017
Update: went to the Apple store yesterday because I had some keys that made the high pitched sound (again) and because my trackpad moves above the chassis when the MacBook gets hot. They are going to replace the top case again, hopefully this will fix all of the problems...

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
Just to write my experience. 2016 15'', clicking sound always, sticky keys under load.

Brought it to an authorized Apple reseller. After 3 days I could pick it up, they changed the topcase. Weird enough the keyboard seems 2016 (missing icons), while the typing feeling is different. Is it possible, that regional key layouts (Slovenian) didn't get the new icons on control and alt?

Attachments

• IMG_1263.JPG
    IMG_1263.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 257

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
I wonder what had changed between the 2016 and the 2017 model to truly prevent this issue. Although its not entirely

max1274

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2017
This post seems to have died down somewhat. Is that a good sign? Has anyone received a new MBP and had a 100% working keyboard that has not had the clicking sound when warm, and not developed faults over time?

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I have been using nTB 2017 for about a week and it seems fine. It did get warm on initial loads. Keys seem consistent. I’m not forcing any testing. Still torn on keeping it and risking the repair cycle or returning. I now have iMac that I could use until we KNOW issue is resolved.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
France
This post seems to have died down somewhat. Is that a good sign? Has anyone received a new MBP and had a 100% working keyboard that has not had the clicking sound when warm, and not developed faults over time?

Look on Reddit. New posts about the issue every day.

itsasin

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2017
Look on Reddit. New posts about the issue every day.
Are we talking about the 2016 model or the 2017 one?

I am still to receive my MacBook Pro replacement (2017 instead of the 2016 I originally bought, after a load of several issues and repairments). Unfortunately there are some problems with the external shipping company which caused a major delay. If I don't hear from them in a day, Apple will contact me and they will try to solve it. So I personally haven't been able to test it out yet on my machine yet. How worried should I be about a new 2017 machine? My original 15" MacBook Pro did have this keyboard issue, until they replaced the top case with the "new" keyboard and such. Might just have been luck though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.