Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2016
Wow! I got a report from Apple’s Servicer saying that the top case was replaced 3 times, just for and I quote:

“for the customer’s satisfation” ...and that there wasn’t any anomaly.

Amazing, considering the detailed info and video recordings I gave them of the issue.

It’s a 2 page report on all the repairs. I’ll translate the report and post it here later on.

..I’m on my way home right now to see if the latest top case replacement that was done for my “satisfaction” actually resolved the issue.

It’s all in our heads people!

henrive

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2017
I took two days ago my macbook pro 13 late 2016 non touch bar model in for service. I live in Estonia so we only have apple premium service provider.

Today got the message that the keyboard is faulty and new part will be ordered. So i'm guessing it is the new top case, but will see next week.

Main problem was with high pitched sound when computer gets hot.

Sorry abut the music - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tno8yu6fwi3z8ts/AACBOnVGabnWgKt3jeR9yvxpa?dl=0

NB! Sorry if i wrote something wrong, english is not my native language.

Reactions: Sampe

Sampe

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2017
I took two days ago my macbook pro 13 late 2016 non touch bar model in for service. I live in Estonia so we only have apple premium service provider.

Today got the message that the keyboard is faulty and new part will be ordered. So i'm guessing it is the new top case, but will see next week.

Main problem was with high pitched sound when computer gets hot.

Sorry abut the music - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tno8yu6fwi3z8ts/AACBOnVGabnWgKt3jeR9yvxpa?dl=0

NB! Sorry if i wrote something wrong, english is not my native language.

Please tell us if the replace solve the problem!!

You can try to stress cpu+gpu with a benchmark like UNIGINE Heaven :)

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2016
Got my 2016 MacBook Pro back (total of 4 repairs with 2 top case replacements). 3 and a half months went by so far.

The 5, 6 and Return key are now exhibiting the problems. However, it's not even remotely as bad as it was previously.

The return key is a bit worse than the 5 and 6 keys. It has that really distinct high pitched clicking sound. Better than before tough.

I won't push my luck any further. If I return it again I just may end up with a worse keyboard.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Got my 2016 MacBook Pro back (total of 4 repairs with 2 top case replacements). 3 and a half months went by so far.

The 5, 6 and Return key are now exhibiting the problems. However, it's not even remotely as bad as it was previously.
Did you get the 2017 keyboard with your replacement, out the 2016 one? You can tell the difference by looking at the control key, does it have some sort of symbol?

Thanks, and good luck with your keyboard.

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2016
Did you get the 2017 keyboard with your replacement, out the 2016 one? You can tell the difference by looking at the control key, does it have some sort of symbol?

Thanks, and good luck with your keyboard.

It's still a keyboard from the 2016 model. Thanks man, I'm still afraid it starts randomly clicking again. I just checked the keys after opening from clamshell mode. It gets warmer like that, but so far so good. The return key still clicks, but I'm gonna treat it as a feature :apple:

kwcwong

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2017
It's still a keyboard from the 2016 model. Thanks man, I'm still afraid it starts randomly clicking again. I just checked the keys after opening from clamshell mode. It gets warmer like that, but so far so good. The return key still clicks, but I'm gonna treat it as a feature :apple:
Do you know what is the part number on that top case? It should be written on the service record. I brought my MacBook in for a top case replacement for the third time and they ensured me that this new top case they are putting on has a different part number and will fix the issue. I'll be quite upset if I see another 2016 topcase on it lol.

It is a relief that they told me this noise issue with the keyboard is widespread and that this new topcase is a different part number.

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
Just to write my experience. 2016 15'', clicking sound always, sticky keys under load.

Brought it to an authorized Apple reseller. After 3 days I could pick it up, they changed the topcase. Weird enough the keyboard seems 2016 (missing icons), while the typing feeling is different. Is it possible, that regional key layouts (Slovenian) didn't get the new icons on control and alt?

Was too quick to post this. After a month of use after top case replacement I'm back to where I was. Clickety clack and stuck keys while working in iMovie.

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
I got my 2016 15" back about a week ago and the top case was replaced with the 2017 one. I had just sent it in to have the fan replaced and it came back with a key not working.

So far it's much better than before and I like my MBP again. The bonus was getting a new battery. Hopefully it lasts...of course, this is a great chance to sell it.

henrive

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2017
Please tell us if the replace solve the problem!!

You can try to stress cpu+gpu with a benchmark like UNIGINE Heaven :)

Will do, when I get it back.

But what does new top case mean ? Do they put the motherboard and the battery in a new housing ?

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
But what does new top case mean ? Do they put the motherboard and the battery in a new housing ?
They replace the case with the keyboard and batteries glued to it.
I suppose they take your motherboard and place it on the new case. The screen and other elements are kept original.

henrive

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2017
They replace the case with the keyboard and batteries glued to it.
I suppose they take your motherboard and place it on the new case. The screen and other elements are kept original.

Thx for the answer! Will keep u posted, when I receive my computer and have done couple of tests with the new keyboard.

henrive

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2017
Got my macbook pro 13 late 2016 non tb back today and at the moment the keyboard feels solid. Did run some apps and videos together to heat up the computer and no issues at all at the moment.

Also the battery now is showing 8-10 hours when fully charged. Old one with 40 cycles was always 5-6 hours. So there's a improvement also :)

There are no new icons that macbook 2017 keyboard has and the part number is DK661-05115.

NB! the backlight is also much brighter!

kwcwong

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2017
Just an update, picked up my late 2016 macbook pro today after topcase replacement for the 3rd time. They put a 2017 one on it judging by the new symbols on 2 keys and seems good so far. Loaded up a game to test and got the macbook pretty hot, no sitcky sound on any keys! I guess if you request them to order and install a 2017 one they might. I did mention that there were several people who reported online that they had 2017 topcases and it fixed the issue and they said they can try to order one.

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017
Wow! I got a report from Apple’s Servicer saying that the top case was replaced 3 times, just for and I quote:

“for the customer’s satisfation” ...and that there wasn’t any anomaly.

That's Apple being unpleasant and trying to avoid publicly admitting they screwed up the design of the macbook pro profoundly. That would lead to a huge wave of refunds and legal issues.

Tensakun

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Akashi, Japan
That's Apple being unpleasant and trying to avoid publicly admitting they screwed up the design of the macbook pro profoundly. That would lead to a huge wave of refunds and legal issues.

Probably a fair guess at Apple's approach. Although I've read several 'observations' that the '17 KB is at least a bit improved over the '16 KB, I've never heard of an official Apple press release about improving the KB.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Really a jacked situation...still seeing the issue. Leaving the Butterfly was only thing that worked for me. IMO the issue is there, 2016 & 2017, in high %. Autocorrect masks the issue.

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
OP here. I've hit another, terribly bothersome issue: my 'b' key only registers on about 50% of presses.

I think this song sums up our feelings pretty well about the 2016's keyboard:

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
I got my 2016 15" back about a week ago and the top case was replaced with the 2017 one. I had just sent it in to have the fan replaced and it came back with a key not working.

So far it's much better than before and I like my MBP again. The bonus was getting a new battery. Hopefully it lasts...of course, this is a great chance to sell it.

How do you know it was replaced with a 2017? Asking because I just had mine replaced and it looks amazing.

I may have misread the top case meaning. I am referring to the top case display

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
How do you know it was replaced with a 2017? Asking because I just had mine replaced and it looks amazing.

I may have misread the top case meaning. I am referring to the top case display

The top case is the upper part of the "computer" part of the MacBook Pro. It's what the touchbar and keyboard are housed in. The 2017 one has the new symbols on the keys. The bottom case snaps in and is screwed to the bottom.

The display and lid are one piece now, and I think it's called the "complete display" in the parts world.

maj88

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
Warsaw, Poland
The top case is the upper part of the "computer" part of the MacBook Pro. It's what the touchbar and keyboard are housed in. The 2017 one has the new symbols on the keys. The bottom case snaps in and is screwed to the bottom.

The display and lid are one piece now, and I think it's called the "complete display" in the parts world.

What exactly are the new symbols looking like?
I've just picked up my 2016 MBP 15 after top case replacement and the keyboard is much better than previously.

When compared to my previous one, I have this dash above text on the left control button.

Also the the alt button is different.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
You should have a carat symbol (^) on your control key, and something that looks something like a sentence diagramming symbol (see Subject, Preposition, Object of Preposition portion of image). These keyboard symbols are new as of the 2017 models.

acdd9cbb3424b49f31625ac80ae6c681--english-grammar-sentences.jpg

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
You should have a carat symbol (^) on your control key, and something that looks something like a sentence diagramming symbol (see Subject, Preposition, Object of Preposition portion of image). These keyboard symbols are new as of the 2017 models.

acdd9cbb3424b49f31625ac80ae6c681--english-grammar-sentences.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.