Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
To the people who has purchased a MBP in October... Any issue so far with the keyboard?
How about for the people in Europe? I really hope they have been polishing the new 2017 keyboard during this months...

Thank you.

tomwilson

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
So I have a funny one. My launch day (November) fully specced out 2016 15” MBP had a terrible keyboard, which I had replaced in March. I think I posted in this thread at the time.

Today I went to the Genius Bar again as the 2 and 3 keys were really iffy when the computer was warm (loud clicks, you know the deal). The replacement had been like that since day 1 however I put up with it. I was expecting just to play keyboard lottery again and be without my computer for a week or whatever. Instead - the guy at the Genius Bar just straight up refunded me the cost of the computer so I could buy another one! After 11.5 months!

Pretty cool except I don’t really feel like playing keyboard lottery again with a brand new machine argh. I also don’t think I will get the 15” again as I was never really in love with the size of it.

Maybe i’ll try a 12”...

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
This is why I buy Apple and think the premium price (somewhat at least) is motivated by the support. I had an issue with an old iPad over the weekend. They restored it and offered to replace my charging cables for free. So I did. :)
Apple customer service is top notch in my book.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
This is why I buy Apple and think the premium price (somewhat at least) is motivated by the support. I had an issue with an old iPad over the weekend. They restored it and offered to replace my charging cables for free. So I did. :)
Apple customer service is top notch in my book.

Keep searching around in here…

We have many people on the forum that are getting turned away with Clicky defective keyboards and being told they are "within spec"

******* ridiculous

tomwilson

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
Maybe i’ll try a 12”...

So a few days after this I bought a base model 2017 MacBook in gold, and it doesn't have a single key with the clicky issue. huzzah.

Im also enjoying it far more than the MBP 15" - I have an iMac anyway and this makes a much better secondary computer.

Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
So a few days after this I bought a base model 2017 MacBook in gold, and it doesn't have a single key with the clicky issue. huzzah.

Im also enjoying it far more than the MBP 15" - I have an iMac anyway and this makes a much better secondary computer.

MacBook is a fantastic computer and will be a joy to use. The only reason that weighed heavily for me choosing between a MacBook and MacBook Pro 13 last year was the second generation keyboard in 2016 MBP versus the first gen in 2016 MB, which was a substantial difference for me to overlook. I tried for a whole hour and came up with the conclusion that while I absolutely loved the MacBook Core m5 2016 model and it would have served all my needs fair and square, I will have to go with MBP 13 because of the keyboard. It was and is that much better from first generation.
[doublepost=1510427115][/doublepost]
To the people who has purchased a MBP in October... Any issue so far with the keyboard?
How about for the people in Europe? I really hope they have been polishing the new 2017 keyboard during this months...

Thank you.

I was the first person in my city to purchase a 13" MBP 2016 with Touch Bar, going by the looks of the sales men, eager to catch glimpse of the notebook. They did not even have one on display, from where I bought it. I had to check it out in another city.

So, purchased November last year, so far the machine is going rock solid for me. Few debris here and there have fallen, namely exactly 2 instances where 3 of my keys have acted up in the following fashion: they would repeat, they would often get double-pressed on their own. Specifically, keys f and m.

Banging, tapping hard, blowing air would resolve the issue. So far, it has been close to six months without the issue.

Before people question about temperatures, we are talking about a notebook left switched off and lid closed overnight, and started in the morning to discover the issues. Both times.

It was then that I performed the "yes" command to see if the issue was because of dust or could my keyboard be breaking, and found that even after 30 minutes of full CPU usage, each and every key functioned just fine, with no click, no clack, no clip whatsoever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Populus

max1274

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2017
Just got a 2017 top case with the new layout, problem seems solved.

This is my semi-regular post in this thread to see how many people with the 2017 model have found that the clicking sound is not an issue? Are people buying brand new 2017 models and finding the same issue?

Apple shipped 4.43 million units last quarter, many of which will have been new MBP's, so are those people still finding this issue?

Lipid

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2014
Are people buying brand new 2017 models and finding the same issue?

I've recently purchased the new nTB 2017 13". No high pitched clicks, but some keys in the middle (R, T, Y for example) produce more drum sound when compared to the right side keys like O,P,L - those are completely solid and produce almost no sound at all. So yes, no sound uniformity while typing.

Lipid

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2014
Damn, that's the machine I was looking at getting (having already had a 2016 TB version and returning it after several top-cases that either failed or clicked).

The keys are not sticky-clicky, but that drum sound in the middle of the keyboard - this sound actually doesn't go from the key's membrane or butterfly mechanism itself. It's the aluminum body construction.

If you press each key very gently and lightly - they all sound the same, good and quiet. But when you are typing like in real life and striking harder - that's when this drum sound appears.

It feels like there is an empty space beneath the keyboard in the middle (probably for better air flow and cooling).

You can easily reproduce and check my assumptions without even touching any key. Just try it yourself. Find the narrow top part of the aluminum body (just between the screen hinge and the F-keys or T-bar) and try to knock it with your fingerbone (like knocking on the door) in the middle and then closer to the edges of the body - you will immediately hear and feel the difference.

Thats being said, there is no way you can change or fix this, 2016 and 2017 body design is the same. The only thing you can do is to get used to it and not concentrate on this OR wait for the new MBP lineup with completely new body design.

Lipid

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2014
Even when the the machine heats up?

Yes, no matter if it is turned off and cold or it is running hot - if you press keys lightly they sound the same without high pitch clicking. It's only that drum sound that annoys me from the keys in the middle while typing fast.

nameste

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2016
I got my 2017 mbp yesterday with big enter key (Eu layout)and getting different sound from the enter key.Is this because of enter key is bigger than others or or mine is defective?

Eerriikkoo

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2017
Replacing with 2017 version in Europe (Netherlands) confirmed. This one feels much better. Touch id button is more solid as well on this one.

They also replaced the batteries due to being attached to the top case i guess and the display assembly because of popping sound.

So basically except for the bottom shell and the logic board I have a completely new laptop.

Makes me wonder why they did not exchange for a brand new device but hey no complaints because my issues got resolved free of charge.

You might have to keep coming back until they are willing to replace the keyboard. Took me two visits, on the first visit they said the problem was within spec because only a few keys were affected. They cleaned it and told me I had to wait for more sticky keys before coming back.

So my advice is to not follow the guidelines on cleaning the keys with compressed air but instead wait until the problem has built up to say six keys and then bring it in for evaluation and repair.

originspast

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2016
Just to let you hear sth. different for a change: MBP 2016, 13", no problems with my keyboard at all, one year in now. Ok, the keys sound different, but that's about it.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Just to let you hear sth. different for a change: MBP 2016, 13", no problems with my keyboard at all, one year in now. Ok, the keys sound different, but that's about it.

I think the difference would be the mechanism getting "run-in" or settling down. :) I own the 2016 MBP 13 with Touch Bar and am happy with the keyboard and the keys themselves.

RJ2010115

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
I had a 2016 15 touch bar with the clicky sound on several keys (namely right cursor and 5,6,7).
Got a top case replacement (2016 keyboard). Came with M and 8 clicking as well.

Back again on repairs. Hoping to having it replaced as many times as it takes until they decide to replace with a 2017 keyboard, get a perfect 2016 keyboard (is that even possible?) or they tell me to stop asking for repairs...

Let's see how it goes...

Location, Portugal (in Europe, for those folks that are geographically
challenged)

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
Same thing, Slovenia/Europe, already replaced one top case with the 2016 and still the same.

I mean besides that it's a great laptop, but this thing is driving me crazy. Especially when they suggest using compressed air?!?!

RJ2010115

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
Same thing, Slovenia/Europe, already replaced one top case with the 2016 and still the same.

I mean besides that it's a great laptop, but this thing is driving me crazy. Especially when they suggest using compressed air?!?!

We have no Apple stores so we have to go through the competence or incompetence of the authorized repair centers...

I told them that apple starter changing keyboards to the 2017 model but they were absolutely baffled.

When a malfunction is reported, the parts are (at least that was what they've told me) always the same for that model. (never a 2017 part for a 2016 model).

We'll see.

At least they never told me to use compressed air (yet)

Eerriikkoo

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2017
We have no Apple stores so we have to go through the competence or incompetence of the authorized repair centers...

I told them that apple starter changing keyboards to the 2017 model but they were absolutely baffled.

When a malfunction is reported, the parts are (at least that was what they've told me) always the same for that model. (never a 2017 part for a 2016 model).

We'll see.

At least they never told me to use compressed air (yet)

I have a 2016 model with a replacement keyboard. It feels different and also has the symbols on ctrl and option keys that were not on the 2016 model, only on the newer 2017 model. Afaik that means it is a 2017 keyboard. Not through Apple but a certified retail/repair centre in the Netherlands.

Reactions: macintoshmac

RJ2010115

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
I have a 2016 model with a replacement keyboard. It feels different and also has the symbols on ctrl and option keys that were not on the 2016 model, only on the newer 2017 model. Afaik that means it is a 2017 keyboard. Not through Apple but a certified retail/repair centre in the Netherlands.

I thought you had apple stores in the netherlands.

I've got the answer from the repair centre here and they said that no anomaly was detected. What I'll do is document the flaw and call apple support. Perhaps then I'll get the issue resolved!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.