Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maj88

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
Warsaw, Poland
So far my 2017 is holding up great compared to my 2016 that it replaced. What is the issue you are having?

The B key suddenly stuck. It’s working but not clicking when being pressed.

Also other keys work in a various way.

Warranty ends in March. I’ll observe how it goes further and maybe will hand in for repair in the very last moment.

I think that there will be huge issue among Apple users when warranty ends, as the top case is not cheap to exchange.

P.S.
As far as I am concerned, I currently have 2017 keyboard.. So the problem exists in all range.

Last edited:
Reactions: monstermac77

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm so glad I got rid of my 2016 MBP immediately after it came back from its second keyboard replacement during which it'd received the 2017 keyboard. As great as the machine is it's just not worth the hassle.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
The B key suddenly stuck. It’s working but not clicking when being pressed.

Also other keys work in a various way.

Warranty ends in March. I’ll observe how it goes further and maybe will hand in for repair in the very last moment.

I think that there will be huge issue among Apple users when warranty ends, as the top case is not cheap to exchange.

P.S.
As far as I am concerned, I currently have 2017 keyboard.. So the problem exists in all range.
[doublepost=1516815674][/doublepost]Apple - please don’t make more Clackingtosh! (What’s the point making Macs with silent discs and no fans etc. but with a noisy keyboard ??!!)

Last edited:

casperghst42

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Is it possible to get the keys off the keyboard?

And if it is, has anyone thought about machining them 0.1mm down on all sides. From the videos it looks like the keys are made out of a poor quality plastic which expands - making them slightly smaller could possibly fix the problem.

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
OP here. I originally started this thread because I was getting the high pitched key click. About 6 months ago, my "b" key started not typing on about 30% of presses. Then, about 2 weeks ago, it started double typing "b" on about 30% of presses.

As we all agree, these machines are ridden with keyboard issues. Has anyone had success getting a full 2017 computer replacement for this issue without doing 2 top case replacements first?

I want this issue solved, but as a software developer I can barely afford to be without my computer for 1 top-case replacement let alone 2 before getting an outright new machine (which may not even solve the problem it seems!). I have AppleCare, so I could wait until they push new fixes in 2018...

maj88

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
Warsaw, Poland
OP here. I originally started this thread because I was getting the high pitched key click. About 6 months ago, my "b" key started not typing on about 30% of presses. Then, about 2 weeks ago, it started double typing "b" on about 30% of presses.

As we all agree, these machines are ridden with keyboard issues. Has anyone had success getting a full 2017 computer replacement for this issue without doing 2 top case replacements first?

I want this issue solved, but as a software developer I can barely afford to be without my computer for 1 top-case replacement let alone 2 before getting an outright new machine (which may not even solve the problem it seems!). I have AppleCare, so I could wait until they push new fixes in 2018...

I’ve called my service in Poland concerning that. Unfortunately we have no official Apple store but Apple authorized service. According to their policy, they can only exchange top case..

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
I’ve called my service in Poland concerning that. Unfortunately we have no official Apple store but Apple authorized service. According to their policy, they can only exchange top case..

Sorry to hear that. I do have Apple Stores available near me, but my guess is the policy is consistent across Apple Stores and authorized service centers.

There really aren't good options, it seems. I think I'll try to do top case replacements in the rare times where I can get by without having my computer, and then assuming those don't fix the issue, I'll bring it in again for a third time either once the 2018 models come out (if there are any) or once a sufficient number of users here are reporting that their 201(X) replacements are working. Who knows, maybe Apple has refined the 2017 top cases now or will in 2 months and those revisions will work without issue on our 2016 models.

Blizzardman

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Gilbert, Arizona

I had my 2016 replaced with a 2017 model after two top case replacements and when I brought it in for a third repair for noisy keys while the computer was warm they just swapped it out for a 2017 version. Haven't had any keyboard issues with me 2017 version and I remember seeing a reddit thread where an engineer on the Apple team confirmed they made slight changes to the 2017 model to avoid the 2016 issues. I also am a software developer and cannot be without my laptop for those long repairs so I understand your frustration.

I also have AppleCare so I'll patiently wait and hope this new machine doesn't show any issues but if it does then I should be covered.

Reactions: monstermac77

Blizzardman

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Gilbert, Arizona
The current MacBook Pros are garbage. So disappointed with Apple.
While I am frustrated with the keyboard as well I can safely say I LOVE everything else about this laptop. The size, the interchangeable USB C ports, the screen quality, the incredible speakers. Everything is amazing and now that I have a working keyboard I am a very happy camper (crosses-fingers).

Stygma

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2018
I had my 2016 replaced with a 2017 model after two top case replacements and when I brought it in for a third repair for noisy keys while the computer was warm they just swapped it out for a 2017 version. Haven't had any keyboard issues with me 2017 version and I remember seeing a reddit thread where an engineer on the Apple team confirmed they made slight changes to the 2017 model to avoid the 2016 issues. I also am a software developer and cannot be without my laptop for those long repairs so I understand your frustration.

I also have AppleCare so I'll patiently wait and hope this new machine doesn't show any issues but if it does then I should be covered.

I have a suspicion the 2017 keyboard works better with the 2017 MacBook Pro then the 2016 one because it doesn't get as hot due to the newer, more energy efficient processor.

Last edited:

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I had 3 keyboards fail me on my 2016. The 2nd replacement was a 2017, and it, too failed in about 4 months. After the 3rd replacement, I immediately sold the machine. I bought an early-2015 MBP, and I am infinitely happier.

The 2016/2017 keyboards are hard-to-use, noisy, and unreliable. It is embarrassing that Apple thinks they are good enough for the Pro.
Same situation and solution here. I have no faith in the 2016 or 2017 butterfly keyboard on the MBP or MB.

I also went back to 2015 MBP and having no issues. I’ve shared my experience with Apple leadership, including an Apple Executive Liason.

HailAlistair

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2017
I am very sorry to say that the 2017 version of the 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar DOES NOT solve the issues.
Or, if you prefer, it does solve the high-pitched sound when the MacBook is warm, but it introduces a possibly even worse issue.

With the 2017 model they probably added some rubber at the button of the keys to dampen the bottoming out. The rubber sometimes makes the keys stick, pressing and sounding very weird. It's distracting and I personally cannot stand it. It feels like there is something sticky under some keys, like glue or chewing gum. And the worst part is that it is inconsistent, not all keys do it, and not always. (my option, control, and “\” keys do it very often, though, and many of the others keys do it quite often)

I said that it is possibly even worse than the 2016 keyboard problem, because the high-pitched sound issue appeared almost only when the MacBook was warm.

If you are interested, I can post some videos explaining the new issue better.

I will ask a refund, and you should too. If you are thinking about buying a MacBook Pro with Touch Bar 2016 or 2017, stay away. At least wait for the next revision.

Apple should be deeply ashamed and should offer a refund to everybody that feels completely betrayed by them because of this awfully unreliable keyboard.

Manufacturing date of last MacBook: 2017, Nov 20

Last edited:

Baginz10

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2010
I had a 2016 13 inch which would make a few keys click when the laptop got hot. I now have a 2017 model and it's much better. No more high pitched noises from keys when under load but it's still a noisy keyboard in general. Some keys sound a little different to others, I noticed this as soon as I unboxed it but I'm used to it now. The high pitched clicking noise is what made me try a 2017 and as that has gone I'm happy enough with it.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
I will ask a refund, and you should too. If you are thinking about buying a MacBook Pro with Touch Bar 2016 or 2017, stay away. At least wait for the next revision.

I don't know what country you're in but good luck with that. Apple USA flat out refused to take my 8 months old 2016 MBP back even after its third keyboard repair attempt (two top case replacements, one "reseating" of keycaps). I've spent countless hours on the phone and talked my way up the support hierarchy to various levels of senior advisors, and every single time I was told the exact same thing: Apple doesn't do refunds. No way no how. Corporate policy. Period. All they were willing to offer was this: if the keyboard broke again within the warranty period of the device they would take back my 2016 MBP and replace it with a similarly or better equipped 2017 MBP. Which, in return, I refused to even remotely consider.

Last edited:

HailAlistair

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2017
I don't know what country you're in but good luck with that. Apple USA flat out refused to take my 9 months old 2016 MBP back even after its third keyboard repair attempt (two top case replacements, one "reseating" of keycaps). I've spent countless hours on the phone and talked my way up the support hierarchy to senior advisors and even their supervisors, and every single time I was told the exact same thing: Apple doesn't do refunds. No way now how. Period. All they were willing to offer was a replacement: they would take back my 2016 MBP and replace it with a similarly equipped 2017 MBP. However, due to company policy they are only authorized to offer a replacement after the third failed repair attempt, meaning that I would've had to wait another 2-4 months for the newly replaced keyboard to fail again. At that point the MBP would've been out of warranty, which means I would have had to spend another $249 for AppleCare. Which, in return, I refused to even consider, because a) it would not have solved my keyboard problems, and b) it would've cost me another $249 for a laptop with a keyboard that is defective by design. It's basically the equivalent of saying "Yeah, we've sold you a defective notebook for $2,000 but for another $249 we'll send you a newer notebook instead. One that is also defective and won't solve any of your issues but hey, new new new touch bar animojis awesome!"

Long story short: I'm in parsonsmike's and PBz's boat. I got rid of the 2016 MBP after its last and final top case replacement as quickly as humanly possible incurring a substantial financial loss and purchased a used 2015 MBP instead. No way am I ever again going to purchase an Apple notebook with a butterfly keyboard. I'm done with that PoS.

I meant that everybody that feels betrayed by this keyboard should ask a refund. They refused to refund me too! We have laws here, and they are in a very grey area here. (I live in Switzerland)
Maybe if enough people demand a refund, Apple will finally do something about it? Even if, personally at this point, I think that only something like a class action lawsuit or somebody important speaking out (like The Verge writing an article or a celebrity on twitter) will force them to recognize the issues and do something. Apparently, the new Apple has no integrity and, as opposed to what they say on stage, they don't give a **** about costumer satisfaction.

They are playing it dumb, they don't even acknowledge the problems. Every time you speak with an Apple Representative they (poorly) fake surprise.

I bought the 2016 MacBook basically as soon as it was available at the end of 2016, in 2017 it got swapped twice for the keyboard having the high-pitch problem. Came back exactly the same. So I demanded another swap with the 2017 model. After months of phone calls, chats, and going to Apple Stores, I managed to get it replaced with a 2017 model by going in an Apple Store and pleading the manager. (Another Apple Store manager basically told me to go **** myself)

After 2 days that I had the new 2017 model, I contacted them again asked a refund, because the 2017 model still had problems with the keyboard. They refused. I even wrote a letter to Tim Cook explaining the whole situation and how betrayed I felt by Apple, no reply.

I feel so disgusted by the whole situation, I may never buy a MacBook again in my life. If the Mac Pro is good (good = upgradable and modular like a desktop PC or close), I may buy that. But laptops, probably not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: project_2501

hyperx136

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2007

I just had my laptop sent in for top case replacement yesterday for my MBP 2016. How did you know that they replaced yours with a 2017 model? Does it mention the part name on the receipt or is it just word to mouth from apple genius? My warranty is running out on Feb 18th 2018 and with all these issues with the keyboard, I'm thinking of either upgrade to the new 2017 MPB or just buy a apple care for a piece of mind with the keyboard within the next two years. I think that in two more years they might improve the hardware structures even more since this is still a relatively new and unrefined machine designed.

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
I just had my laptop sent in for top case replacement yesterday for my MBP 2016. How did you know that they replaced yours with a 2017 model? Does it mention the part name on the receipt or is it just word to mouth from apple genius? My warranty is running out on Feb 18th 2018 and with all these issues with the keyboard, I'm thinking of either upgrade to the new 2017 MPB or just buy a apple care for a piece of mind with the keyboard within the next two years. I think that in two more years they might improve the hardware structures even more since this is still a relatively new and unrefined machine designed.

You’ll notice there will be a symbol icon on the control/option key on the bottom left which wasn’t previously on the 2016 models.

parsonsmike

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2017
While I am frustrated with the keyboard as well I can safely say I LOVE everything else about this laptop. The size, the interchangeable USB C ports, the screen quality, the incredible speakers. Everything is amazing and now that I have a working keyboard I am a very happy camper (crosses-fingers).

I loved everything about my 2016 MBP, too. But after the 3rd keyboard replacement, it was time to end the suffering.

ManuCH

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I managed to get it replaced with a 2017 model by going in an Apple Store and pleading the manager. (Another Apple Store manager basically told me to go **** myself)

What exactly did you do to the manager to bring him as far as telling me to go **** yourself? While Apple Store managers in Switzerland have always been firm on their opinions, they have never once been rude to me. Of course I haven't been to all Apple Stores, but still, that sounds a bit weird to me.

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017
I meant that everybody that feels betrayed by this keyboard should ask a refund. They refused to refund me too! We have laws here, and they are in a very grey area here. (I live in Switzerland)
Maybe if enough people demand a refund, Apple will finally do something about it? Even if, personally at this point, I think that only something like a class action lawsuit or somebody important speaking out (like The Verge writing an article or a celebrity on twitter) will force them to recognize the issues and do something. Apparently, the new Apple has no integrity and, as opposed to what they say on stage, they don't give a **** about costumer satisfaction.

They are playing it dumb, they don't even acknowledge the problems. Every time you speak with an Apple Representative they (poorly) fake surprise.

I bought the 2016 MacBook basically as soon as it was available at the end of 2016, in 2017 it got swapped twice for the keyboard having the high-pitch problem. Came back exactly the same. So I demanded another swap with the 2017 model. After months of phone calls, chats, and going to Apple Stores, I managed to get it replaced with a 2017 model by going in an Apple Store and pleading the manager. (Another Apple Store manager basically told me to go **** myself)

After 2 days that I had the new 2017 model, I contacted them again asked a refund, because the 2017 model still had problems with the keyboard. They refused. I even wrote a letter to Tim Cook explaining the whole situation and how betrayed I felt by Apple, no reply.

I feel so disgusted by the whole situation, I may never buy a MacBook again in my life. If the Mac Pro is good (good = upgradable and modular like a desktop PC or close), I may buy that. But laptops, probably not.

Here's my experience. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2017-macbook-pro-13-non-tb-review.2056971/

I am now taking legal action under the UK Consumer Protection Act.

Apple executive liaison and other staff are well trained to never give anything away but frustrate you with passive aggression. And lying.

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017
If not Macbook Pro next time ..m what would people here consider a worthy replacement?

For me a few things kept me coming back to Apple. They keyboard - not any more obviously. The trackpad. Long battery life. Quality display panel....

HailAlistair

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2017
What exactly did you do to the manager to bring him as far as telling me to go **** yourself? While Apple Store managers in Switzerland have always been firm on their opinions, they have never once been rude to me. Of course I haven't been to all Apple Stores, but still, that sounds a bit weird to me.

I explained the situation, that I had already swapped the MacBook Pro 2016 twice, that I was extremely consumed by the situation, and that an Apple Store in Milan (which is 6 hours of car from my house in Switzerland) was ready to order me a new MacBook Pro 2017 and they would keep it until I went there to do the swap. I asked him to save me the journey to Milan.

Not all managers in Switzerland are bad:
  • The manager in Geneva was really good, and offered me a replacement, but he could only replace with a MacBook Pro 2017 with the Swiss keyboard (it's not even a qwerty!), because that is what they have in store.
  • The manager in Zurich (center) was the arsehole that told me to go **** myself. (not literally, but still)
  • The manager in Milan (Italy) offered me a 2017 replacement, but I had to drive 12 hours in total (back and forth) to get it.
  • AppleCare and Apple Distribution International mangers were arseholes as well. They told me that they would call me back many times, and they never did. They did not even want to speak to me directly, always using a lady as a proxy to speak with me.

I had contacted the Apple Store in Milan, Italy before going to the Apple Store in Zurich (which is much closer) because my family lives in Milan.
[doublepost=1517090880][/doublepost]
If not Macbook Pro next time ..m what would people here consider a worthy replacement?

For me a few things kept me coming back to Apple. They keyboard - not any more obviously. The trackpad. Long battery life. Quality display panel....

A Mac Pro, maybe. If it's actually upgradable and modular as they promised.

Last edited:

ahmedouvix

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
Okay so i have a 15" 2017 macbook and i don't have any clicking noise on my macbook but i have other problem which is double typing key and i think i fixed it so i am sharing the method if anyone else wants to try.

I had enough of my double typing problem. I have the problem on two keys the B and N keys.

It happened a lot and I there is no apple store in my country so I decided to try to fix it myself. I saw so many methods on youtube but nothing really work.

There is nothing to lose and the key is already ruined so I decided to see if I can do something about it. I tried first on the B key.

the first thing I did is I removing the top of the key and then tried to know what’s causing the problem

I found some dust under the clear plastic thing of the key mechanism but I could never clean it. I have no idea how it entered there. I tried to remove the plastic thing but I couldn’t.

So I took a cotton tip with alcohol on it and tried to clean the dust on the edges but it didn’t work and couldn't reach it. So I went pressing all over the key with higher pressure trying to clean it hoping that piece of dust move from under the key.

I kept tapping and holding on the circle thing for couple minutes then checked if the problem still there. Now I don’t have the problem anymore. I seriously had many doubts if it will even work but thankfully it did.

I reinstalled the top black key then tried pressing the key for 4-5 minutes to see if it will double type again but it didn't so i think i fixed it. I will try again on the N key and hopefully it will work again. will update the post if it fails again .

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017
Okay so i have a 15" 2017 macbook and i don't have any clicking noise on my macbook but i have other problem which is double typing key and i think i fixed it so i am sharing the method if anyone else wants to try.

I had enough of my double typing problem. I have the problem on two keys the B and N keys.

It happened a lot and I there is no apple store in my country so I decided to try to fix it myself. I saw so many methods on youtube but nothing really work.

There is nothing to lose and the key is already ruined so I decided to see if I can do something about it. I tried first on the B key.

the first thing I did is I removing the top of the key and then tried to know what’s causing the problem

I found some dust under the clear plastic thing of the key mechanism but I could never clean it. I have no idea how it entered there. I tried to remove the plastic thing but I couldn’t.

So I took a cotton tip with alcohol on it and tried to clean the dust on the edges but it didn’t work and couldn't reach it. So I went pressing all over the key with higher pressure trying to clean it hoping that piece of dust move from under the key.

I kept tapping and holding on the circle thing for couple minutes then checked if the problem still there. Now I don’t have the problem anymore. I seriously had many doubts if it will even work but thankfully it did.

I reinstalled the top black key then tried pressing the key for 4-5 minutes to see if it will double type again but it didn't so i think i fixed it. I will try again on the N key and hopefully it will work again. will update the post if it fails again .
Great that it worked for you.

But for many of us this would void the warranty.

So the issue is firmly back in Apple's court.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.