Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eerriikkoo

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2017
I thought you had apple stores in the netherlands.

I've got the answer from the repair centre here and they said that no anomaly was detected. What I'll do is document the flaw and call apple support. Perhaps then I'll get the issue resolved!
There are Apple stores here but it’s hard to make an appointment.
They refused to repair mine on first sight too. Just keep going back and keep reporting there are problems. They will replace yours if you keep at it.

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2016
I had a 2016 15 touch bar with the clicky sound on several keys (namely right cursor and 5,6,7).
Got a top case replacement (2016 keyboard). Came with M and 8 clicking as well.

Back again on repairs. Hoping to having it replaced as many times as it takes until they decide to replace with a 2017 keyboard, get a perfect 2016 keyboard (is that even possible?) or they tell me to stop asking for repairs...

Let's see how it goes...

Location, Portugal (in Europe, for those folks that are geographically
challenged)

Where are you from? Lisbon? Did you happen to purchase the Mac at a Fnac store?

Cheers!

kebrone

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2017
Finally my Macbook got repaired, they replaced the keyboard with a new, now it does not make so much noises. I think it is from 2017 model.

RJ2010115

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
Where are you from? Lisbon? Did you happen to purchase the Mac at a Fnac store?

Cheers!

Hello (Olá),

Lisbon, yes, but I bought it at worten and I'm using the Mrepair authorized repair center.
[doublepost=1511434038][/doublepost]
Finally my Macbook got repaired, they replaced the keyboard with a new, now it does not make so much noises. I think it is from 2017 model.

You have to search for the control key. If it has a symbol above it, is the 2017 one.

kwcwong

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2017
They just replaced the top case for the 2nd time (2016 15''). No change, keys still sticking.

Does a good keyboard even exist?!

Yes! replaced my keyboard 3 times and the last time they did it, they put a 2017 top case on it. Been using it for a few months and zero issues at all.

Reactions: monstermac77

npreq

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2016
Just got mine back in Poland. Got a 2017 topcase, 3rd replacement like this. Gotta say this one feels good... for now.

soolwan

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2017
Just got mine back in Poland. Got a 2017 topcase, 3rd replacement like this. Gotta say this one feels good... for now.

Same here. I've been watching this issue all year and finally had another reason to send it in... the left speaker became muffled-sounding.

The replacement top case is a 2017, and no more high-pitched sticking sound when it gets hot! The key feel is slightly different, slightly more muted.

During this process, I never got Apple to really recognize this issue.

I also ran into a problem where the original service request was filed as out of warranty, and I had to spend 2+ hours explaining my story about how I've been watching for when people started to get resolution on the keyboard issue before I sent it in. They kept saying it was out of warranty (even though it's not) and that the service center attributed my issue to debris under the keys (I keep my computer super clean, not to mention how unrelated debris is to this issue). Now after explaining and reexplaining hopefully I'm reimbursed in the next few days. They also messed up in that when they did decide I'm out of warranty, they never sought approval for the repair expense. What a mess.

So anyway, after a long wait, and a final hurdle with the service center who wanted to charge me for the new top case, I think I'm good.

toma01

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2017
I have the issue with "t" and "i" key (the former does it at every single type, the latter does it less frequently). I don't want to replace the whole computer as that might result in even more faulty keys.

Because it is only two keys, it should be better to replace only those ones, but I need my laptop constantly....

warranty until Sept '18

late '16 MBP 13"

[SOLVED: just have blown hard the two affected keys and the high pitch sound seems better.. maybe it was dirt really...]

Last edited:

connorc0405

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2017
2016 Pro 13" here. I have 5 keys that squeak really badly when the machine heats up. I noticed the issue 1 month past limited warranty expiration date. Genius offered me nothing, so then I went through support chat -> support call -> senior advisor. Took a lot of persuasion, but I'm getting a top case replacement for free. Not sure if its from a 2016 or 2017 model though. No one I talked to had ever heard of the problem before, so it took a lot of work to convince them. So frustrating. I shouldn't need to pay for AppleCare+ to protect myself from defects on a $2000+ computer.

EDIT: Got a 2017 topcase. Everything seems good so far...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1111210

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
I've just had to get my keyboard replaced for the 2nd 3rd (see below) time in eight months.
Original puchase in April 2017
First repair attempt in July 2017, keys around v-g-f were sticky and high-pitched
Second repair attempt in December 2017, keys around t, y, u, 5, 6 and 7 were sticky and high-pitched

Only that this second time, I got my MacBook back from the Houston repair center today and they didn't even bother to replace the keyboard. According to the repair note, they "reseated some keycaps" and "ran the hardware test". Needless to say that the problem still exists and hasn't magically disappeared...

I've been on the phone with Apple for hours and hours wanting to return this PoS but they insists that they have never heard of this problem before, and that I am the first one to ever report this. I've had THREE different senior advisors this week tell me that lie to my face... well ear, technically, since I was on the phone. And Apple Support also insists that I have to have three failed repair attempts before they even consider exchanging it for a different model.

(Note: I uploaded the video about an hour before I received the MacBook back from "repair" today, back when I was still assuming they would do what they had promised to in the Apple Store, namely to replace the keyboard. I had no idea I would get it back essentially untouched)

Needless to say that it's going back for repair again early next week, I have a shipping box on the way. Third time in eight months. This is so ridiculous it hurts, it physically hurts.

Did anyone here from the US get Apple to acknowledge the problem and get their returned MacBook for full reimbursement? I don't want this thing anymore and since my living depeonds on a working MacBook and not one that is in service for a week or two I have already had to purchase a 2015 model with working keyboard.

I know for a fact that replacing the keyboard over and over and over again is not going to solve the issue. It's defective by design, and it starts acting up every time it gets warm. And unfortunately, mine does get warm pretty much every day.

Last edited:

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
How would getting the 2017 model help? It can still be killed by a speck of dust, and I've heard from several people who have had the exact same issue with their 2017 keyboards

maj88

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
Warsaw, Poland
Thank you. This is the one I have.

So I can confirm, that in Europe, they are exchanging broken 2016 keyboards with the 2017 ones.

Feels much better now.

So after 4 months one on my keys is not working properly... again.

Really losing patience for Apple. They were claiming that 2017 keyboard should work flawlessly.

My warranty ends march 18', therefore I should get it to the service quickly. Another week without laptop, that I'm working on.

parsonsmike

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2017

Really losing patience for Apple. They were claiming that 2017 keyboard should work flawlessly.

My warranty ends march 18', therefore I should get it to the service quickly. Another week without laptop, that I'm working on.

I had 3 keyboards fail me on my 2016. The 2nd replacement was a 2017, and it, too failed in about 4 months. After the 3rd replacement, I immediately sold the machine. I bought an early-2015 MBP, and I am infinitely happier.

The 2016/2017 keyboards are hard-to-use, noisy, and unreliable. It is embarrassing that Apple thinks they are good enough for the Pro.

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017

There will be an avalanche of angry customers when warranties end.

These keybaords are a warrant time-bomb.

Blizzardman

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Gilbert, Arizona

So far my 2017 is holding up great compared to my 2016 that it replaced. What is the issue you are having?

Reactions: MrGuder

Queen6

macrumors G4
There will be an avalanche of angry customers when warranties end.

These keybaords are a warrant time-bomb.

For all of us in the "long haul" with Apple we already know how this is going to end - Apple runs as much interference as possible, until a court of law say different, Apple offers the most cost effective solution replacing the failed components same poorly designed garbage...

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.