Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I don't know if I updated.. so I will. After multiple repairs I requested a replacement and was able to document and provide proof of the issue on repaired laptop.. I was issued a replacement and allowed to pay to upgrade RAM. I sent my 2016 in and received a 2017 16/512 13" replacement...

When I turned on the replacement I tried to go through startup it kept locking up based on a Critical Software issue.. I was like this has to be a bad joke. I took it to the Apple Store and the Lead Tech was super nice and worked with me on the issue. It seems some BTO models can have wifi/startup issues and he was able to get it working via Ethernet connection. I told him at the time I should just pay the difference and move to the 15" as I am cursed with the 13". He said don't reinstall OS and see how it goes for a week.

So I get the replacement 13" MBP home and start messing around with it. I am NOT looking/testing for the issue as I have AC+ on it and am OVER the repair cycle. Then... I see that I am low on battery so I plug it in to charge and keep working.. then I get a battery warning.. the laptop isn't charging. I try all the ports.. no charging. I restart... no charging.. ANNOYED is an understatement.

I reset some PRAM (?? ) per Google and it seems to start charging but this thing is 3 hours old. I also noticed that some of the programs that came on other laptops were not on this one.

So I go back to the Apple Store and I see the Lead Tech outside on break and let him know it's not charging. Inside, they get me to a rep pretty quickly and I am informed that if I want, I can get the base 15" as an even swap. I take it. Can't say no to that and I pay the extra $100 for AC+.

The only thing is that I am used to having 512 and I have 256. From my analysis, 256 should be fine for 3+ years and I likely don't NEED 512. My CR rep has offered to help me with exchange for 512 if I want to go that route.

I guess.. what I really want to share is that after a bad interaction with ONE Apple employee.. I have received nothing but STELLAR service from EVERY SINGLE other Apple employee that I have encountered in the store, on the phone and other places.

I hope others get their issues resolved to their satisfaction.
Wow glad you had a somewhat good outcome...however since the rep is offering...I would take their offer and get the 512 instead of the 256. You might regret not doing that in a year or so..most likely you will not have anymore problems and I would hate to be stuck with 256 GB especially if you are keeping it for 3 or 4 yrs.

Reactions: jeh72

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Wow glad you had a somewhat good outcome...however since the rep is offering...I would take their offer and get the 512 instead of the 256. You might regret not doing that in a year or so..most likely you will not have anymore problems and I would hate to be stuck with 256 GB especially if you are keeping it for 3 or 4 yrs.
I do have to pay for the 512...which my my case the way the exchange was done, would be about $350. I am struggling with putting more $$ into this.. part of me wants to just exchange it for a 2015 2.5/16/512 since I don't do 4K work.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I do have to pay for the 512...which my my case the way the exchange was done, would be about $350. I am struggling with putting more $$ into this.. part of me wants to just exchange it for a 2015 2.5/16/512 since I don't do 4K work.
I wouldn't get 2015, If your going to spend that kind of money get the latest tech so that your ready with High Sierra.

Reactions: wgr73

km9898

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
So I got an interesting outcome out of this. I emailed Tim Cook directly of this issue and how frustrated I am of this new computer and that the "Geniuses" only wants to change the top case all the time. Before this I got a repair of it with a new top case which is not the 2017 model. So I got the problem again, not as bad as before but the keys are still a bit weird with different issues all the time.

So, I got a reply from a woman from Apple who thanked me for writing a letter to Tim Cook and she called me on my phone and we speaked out about the issue. She suggested that the best option for me would be to get a new computer, a 2017 model. I have to send my old one in first and then I would get a 2017 model sent to me. It was very very professionally made from Apple's side, first that I even got a response from Tim's address (I thought my email would be ignored) and later that she suggested an exchange almost immediately without me having to debate like in an Apple Store.

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2016
So I got an interesting outcome out of this. I emailed Tim Cook directly of this issue and how frustrated I am of this new computer and that the "Geniuses" only wants to change the top case all the time. Before this I got a repair of it with a new top case which is not the 2017 model. So I got the problem again, not as bad as before but the keys are still a bit weird with different issues all the time.

So, I got a reply from a woman from Apple who thanked me for writing a letter to Tim Cook and she called me on my phone and we speaked out about the issue. She suggested that the best option for me would be to get a new computer, a 2017 model. I have to send my old one in first and then I would get a 2017 model sent to me. It was very very professionally made from Apple's side, first that I even got a response from Tim's address (I thought my email would be ignored) and later that she suggested an exchange almost immediately without me having to debate like in an Apple Store.

Congratulations, you just got an opportunity to exchange your current laptop with another one with the same issues. Cross your fingers, this is a luck game.

A lot of us here are going trough the same crap. Attempt the shim repair, replace the top case a couple of times, replace the machine with a new one... all too familiar.

Reactions: Queen6

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Congratulations, you just got the opportunity to exchange your current laptop with another one with a very high chance of having the same issues.

A lot of us here are going trough the same crap. Attempt the shin repair, replace the top case a couple of times, replace the machine with a new one... all too familiar.
If you have been through 3 repairs I would specifically request a replacement.

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2016
If you have been through 3 repairs I would specifically request a replacement.

There's no Apple Store here. I'm attempting to get a refund, unfortunately the store refuses to follow the law because Apple doesn't recognize the issue. It's already on the fourth repair...

I barely touched the machine in the last 2 months...

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Congratulations, you just got an opportunity to exchange your current laptop with another one with the same issues. Cross your fingers, this is a luck game.

This is false information...there is no evidence that the 2017 will fail like the 2016 MBP. This person got the best senario direct from Tim Cook. Let's be happy for him and what great customer service...sad he had to go directly to the horses mouth but the outcome is terrific.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Do the 2017 MBPs have this issue?
From much of what I have seen, read and experienced the 2017 keyboard is different. I can't say HOW different but I using one right now. Have I tested it? Nope. My main concern with my 2016 was that I was 4 months from expired warranty and being on my own with a keyboard issue.

Now that I have the 2017, albeit it is new vs an 8 month old 2016, it does feel different as if the keys don't bottom out as hard. Is the issue there? I don't know but I do know that I have AppleCare+ and if it occurs I am covered. IMO, there is no reason to force identify it right now as, from my experience, the repairs are not always working. They didn't in my case. I am going to use this thing and enjoy it.

If you have/had the issue you know. Keys will sound different across the the keyboard (not an issue) but the issue is the hard click that develops and non-responsive keys. If you want to 'keep an eye out' for it.. just make sure you use some of the following letters in your password and don't use Touch ID all the time (R T Y U I F G H J 5 6 7 8).. typing those just now..no issues.

steinrr

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2017
Do the 2017 MBPs have this issue?

Yes it has. I bought a MBP 13" (no TB) from the online Apple Store in June. This was the 2017 version.

I was very happy with it the first 30 minutes, but then the high pitched sounds started from the keyboard. It came and went as the MB was heating/cooling.

When this issue appeared, I did not know about it at all - and started googling. Found these threads about the issue, and immediately put it into the box and arranged with a return from Apple.

jeh72

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2016
Yes it has. I bought a MBP 13" (no TB) from the online Apple Store in June. This was the 2017 version.

I was very happy with it the first 30 minutes, but then the high pitched sounds started from the keyboard. It came and went as the MB was heating/cooling.

When this issue appeared, I did not know about it at all - and started googling. Found these threads about the issue, and immediately put it into the box and arranged with a return from Apple.
I wonder if the non-TB keyboard for the 2017 is different? When I tested all three versions in the store, the only one that had issues was the non-TB one. 15 inch and touchbar 13 inch had no issues.

Thanos812007

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
I have a new MacBook Pro 2017 one day old and after warming up (to Check for keyboard problems) and let it cool the y key half of it did not register if I was pressing it in the left low edge. After hitting a little bit is working as it should.
Has anyone had similar problem??

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2016
This is false information...there is no evidence that the 2017 will fail like the 2016 MBP. This person got the best senario direct from Tim Cook. Let's be happy for him and what great customer service...sad he had to go directly to the horses mouth but the outcome is terrific.

The outcome is terrific? You don't know the outcome. And i'm sorry, false information? Have you not looked trough this thread?

It's not a matter of being happy or not for him.

If these issues are not aknowledged by Apple a lot of us will continue to have them.

I'm on my fourth repair. And there are people here that had 6, 7, 8 even 12 repairs. Yes! Twelve! And some of these also had their MBPs upgraded to the 2017 model.

Sure, it's great that he got a response, ...

Last edited:

km9898

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
I'm sorry, false information? Have you not looked trough this thread?

It's not a matter of being happy or not for him.

If this issues is not aknowledged by Apple a lot of us will continue to have this problems.

I'm on my fourth repair. And there are people here that had 6, 7, 8 even 12 repairs.

Sure, it's great that he got a response, but that still isn't a solution.

I think you have to go "the other route" if you know what I mean. The "Geniuses" will tell you the same over and over again, you need to get in touch with someone else at Apple, like a relations rep, that will listen to you as a customer. I know it's sad that the "Geniuses" doesn't know anything about this issue and that they are basically ignoring you as a customer. I got great service from emailing Tim Cook, even though he didn't answer me personally, but I still got in touch with the right person at Apple. If you're not getting any answer there, try to call Apple Care and to talk to someone higher a Level 2 rep. If he insist to take it in for repairing a 5th time, or 12th time or whatever, let them know that you have to talk to someone else and that its not acceptable from your side. And don't hang up until you get what you want from them.

Maybe you should try that?

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2016
I think you have to go "the other route" if you know what I mean. The "Geniuses" will tell you the same over and over again, you need to get in touch with someone else at Apple, like a relations rep, that will listen to you as a customer. I know it's sad that the "Geniuses" doesn't know anything about this issue and that they are basically ignoring you as a customer. I got great service from emailing Tim Cook, even though he didn't answer me personally, but I still got in touch with the right person at Apple. If you're not getting any answer there, try to call Apple Care and to talk to someone higher a Level 2 rep. If he insist to take it in for repairing a 5th time, or 12th time or whatever, let them know that you have to talk to someone else and that its not acceptable from your side. And don't hang up until you get what you want from them.

Maybe you should try that?
I did try to talk with Apple Care, but there aren't Apple Stores here, and because my purchase was not made in an Apple Store they can't do anything about it other then attempt a repair in an authorized repair center. These can't exchange or refund.

When you went trough 4 repairs in a span of 2 months, and see people here that have had up to 12 repairs, either you're willing to go trough the same struggle and hope for the best of luck or try and get a refund.

This issue will not be resolved until there is a solution. And there isn't one at the moment.

Also, what happens when the warranty expires? Because replacing the top case is most likely a very, very expensive repair.

It's the keyboard, the trackpad with force touch, chassis, battery, touch bar... It's a major repair that when out of warranty will come out of our pockets big time.

Last edited:

ahmedouvix

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
i got my 2016 today but i don't think i have the problem. i stress test my cpu for 30 mins to heat up the laptop but i don't notice anything different in the keyboard

did i get lucky or it should happen after a while?

peraspera

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2016
The keyboard problem doesn't necessarily happen right away. I doubt that a single stress test would definitely rule out future keyboard problems. You might want to stress test two or three times a day while you are in the window to be able to return your MPB.

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2016
It doesn't happen right away, no. Also, beware of the stress test that you are doing. Sending yes messages to the CPU didn't replicate the issue on my machine. It barely warms it up.

On my end it's the continuous builds with Xcode with the dedicated graphics card running that makes the issues come up. The chassis gradually warms up until the keys start sticking and making a different noise.

ahmedouvix

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
It doesn't happen right away, no. Also, beware of the stress test that you are doing. Sending yes messages to the CPU didn't replicate the issue on my machine. It barely warms it up.

On my end it's the continuous builds with Xcode with the dedicated graphics card running that makes the issues come up. The chassis gradually warms up until the keys start sticking and making a different noise.

The keyboard problem doesn't necessarily happen right away. I doubt that a single stress test would definitely rule out future keyboard problems. You might want to stress test two or three times a day while you are in the window to be able to return your MPB.

i am installing windows and will the stress the hell out of it...

it's my first macbook ever and i always been gaming on my windows devices. the change makes me can't sleep and i am using the laptop like a little baby. too much worried and even more worried after seeing this problem

i buy a laptop that cost more than 2000$ i expect it to be perfect ffs

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal

From my experiences I have seen the gradual and I have seen the almost immediate impact. My initial issue was something I almost missed, thinking I was just bad at the new keyboard, until my MPB didn't accept my admin password (one of the affected keys was in PW).. that started me down this road. I am a light user so it took longer to manifest.. and for me to realize it wasn't me. Note, I think the immediate leads to the eventual non-responsive ... can accelerate it. I don't think they are separate issues.

After a repair, I was able to recreate the issue almost immediately with some GPU stress test. The non-hot issue is non-responsive keys. The immediate response from heat is keys that get stiff and clicky and on cool down will feel almost gooey. On cool down it was like different keys had a different rebound rate.. that sounds OCD but when you type your brain is used to a sensation feedback from keys.. you don't realize how consistent it is until you feel some keys being gooey while others rebound as normal. After my second repair the GPU tests were actually left running on my machine when I got it back. That was a mistake of the repair depot and not a reflection of Apple IMO. WTS, I was able to use the same tests to recreate the issue and ended up with a replacement. I so hate to state all this but I think people have a right to know if their very expensive laptops have an issue. Basically, if you stress the keyboard and heat up the machine look for poppy/clicky keys near the center/top of the keyboard. You will know if it is there or not after about 15-30 min of stress IMO. On cool down, open a note and just start typing to see if you get the gooey effect.
My advice.. if you are a light user who never stresses your machine.. and have the warranty.. ride it out as I am not sure repairs solve it.. test later maybe 3-4 months before out of warranty. Let the depot get good repair parts. If you do stress your laptop as part of normal use.. I would test it..

Apple is aware of the issue. Apple is busing ass to correct the issue and the issue of repair depot/parts IMO.

Queen6

macrumors G4
From my experiences I have seen the gradual and I have seen the almost immediate impact. My initial issue was something I almost missed, thinking I was just bad at the new keyboard, until my MPB didn't accept my admin password (one of the affected keys was in PW).. that started me down this road. I am a light user so it took longer to manifest.. and for me to realize it wasn't me. Note, I think the immediate leads to the eventual non-responsive ... can accelerate it. I don't think they are separate issues.

After a repair, I was able to recreate the issue almost immediately with some GPU stress test. The non-hot issue is non-responsive keys. The immediate response from heat is keys that get stiff and clicky and on cool down will feel almost gooey. On cool down it was like different keys had a different rebound rate.. that sounds OCD but when you type your brain is used to a sensation feedback from keys.. you don't realize how consistent it is until you feel some keys being gooey while others rebound as normal. After my second repair the GPU tests were actually left running on my machine when I got it back. That was a mistake of the repair depot and not a reflection of Apple IMO. WTS, I was able to use the same tests to recreate the issue and ended up with a replacement. I so hate to state all this but I think people have a right to know if their very expensive laptops have an issue. Basically, if you stress the keyboard and heat up the machine look for poppy/clicky keys near the center/top of the keyboard. You will know if it is there or not after about 15-30 min of stress IMO. On cool down, open a note and just start typing to see if you get the gooey effect.
My advice.. if you are a light user who never stresses your machine.. and have the warranty.. ride it out as I am not sure repairs solve it.. test later maybe 3-4 months before out of warranty. Let the depot get good repair parts. If you do stress your laptop as part of normal use.. I would test it..

Apple is aware of the issue. Apple is busing ass to correct the issue and the issue of repair depot/parts IMO.

Great summary. Agree am sure is Apple kicking ass to resolve. As it's very clear Apple put a significant effort into the new desing to prevent the 15" MBP dGPU "cooking off" after so many poor shows with the previous 15" MBP. So to now have this keyboard issue raising it's head due to someone not doing the math is I'm sure the very last thing Apple needs.

That said Apple needs to step on it, as we're not talking about $300 Netbook's, Apple needs come up with a professional solution, not merely replace a defective design with the same defective components, which Apple has a habit of doing...

Q-6

ahmedouvix

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
I stress test the laptop on windows and the temps reach 100C. However i still don't notice any noise. Just the G letter kinda funky. Guess i am screwed with you all

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Great summary. Agree am sure is Apple kicking ass to resolve. As it's very clear Apple put a significant effort into the new desing to prevent the 15" MBP dGPU "cooking off" after so many poor shows with the previous 15" MBP. So to now have this keyboard issue raising it's head due to someone not doing the math is I'm sure the very last thing Apple needs.

That said Apple needs to step on it, as we're not talking about $300 Netbook's, Apple needs come up with a professional solution, not merely replace a defective design with the same defective components, which Apple has a habit of doing...

Q-6
I think once the repair depots have the right parts (NOTE this is my OPINION).. then the issue is reduced significantly. IMO, the problem here (unlike normal repairs) is that repairs start a repair cycle/loop..
[doublepost=1503691356][/doublepost]FWIW.. Apple let me pay the difference and upgrade my RAM.. via going to the 2017 15" 2.9 16/512.. and I am stoked. I paid the difference in the models.. I am good for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6 and MrGuder
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.