Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm almost wishing Ferrari pulls the plug. That would really shake things up. Be kind of like Le Mans with only Toyota in LMP1. Mercedes would just run away instead of teasing the next best team with a view of it's rear end. F1 would have to change. I don't want it to be NASCAR with all the cars looking the same and with pretty much the same engine. I want more innovation. I'd like enclosed cockpits and cars that are sleek. Bring innovation like the Brabham BT46(sucker car) and the Lotus 78. Maybe they should have a system like horse racing where the winner of the previous race is required to carry more weight or less wing. I'd like to see more emphasis on the driver. I want this car. At least I'd have something sweet to look at.

Unfortunately innovation at F1 has been LONG gone for a few years no, long overdue judging by previous cycles.

Recall the earyl 80's with 6 -wheels ... 4 wheel sterring thought to enhance tight sterring?

Tyrrell-P34-ft.jpg

Other than electrical boost or fully electric (Formula-E) ... I think only ...

Tires,
brakes
safety

are the ONLY improvements left. Weight has been conquored long ago and hence why there are restrictions ... because it'll effectively, with current technologies in composites and moldings affects crash safety. Fire retardants have made some great strides in the suits the pit crew and drivers wear ... no small thanks to Lauda's sacrifice!

If Nikki Lauda is the technician of drivers (along with Schumacher),
then Senna was the barebones animal and instinctive talent of a driver.

The engineers have a serious struggle going forward the next decade. And it's THEIR findings that ultimately affect what rules can be imposed, seemingly directly affecting innovation.

PS: I haven't followed F1 for about 2 decades now just cause well it seems to be the same just a few handful of drivers switching top podium finishes race after race. No surprises.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I think the halo sucks. It's not how I'd have implemented it. Imagine looking round your a-pillar to drive!
[doublepost=1518649672][/doublepost]
Unfortunately innovation at F1 has been LONG gone for a few years no, long overdue judging by previous cycles.

Recall the earyl 80's with 6 -wheels ... 4 wheel sterring thought to enhance tight sterring?

Tyrrell-P34-ft.jpg

Other than electrical boost or fully electric (Formula-E) ... I think only ...

Tires,
brakes
safety

are the ONLY improvements left. Weight has been conquored long ago and hence why there are restrictions ... because it'll effectively, with current technologies in composites and moldings affects crash safety. Fire retardants have made some great strides in the suits the pit crew and drivers wear ... no small thanks to Lauda's sacrifice!

If Nikki Lauda is the technician of drivers (along with Schumacher),
then Senna was the barebones animal and instinctive talent of a driver.

The engineers have a serious struggle going forward the next decade. And it's THEIR findings that ultimately affect what rules can be imposed, seemingly directly affecting innovation.

PS: I haven't followed F1 for about 2 decades now just cause well it seems to be the same just a few handful of drivers switching top podium finishes race after race. No surprises.
Yes it was never like one driver dominated before that was it? ;)

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think the halo sucks. It's not how I'd have implemented it. Imagine looking round your a-pillar to drive!
[doublepost=1518649672][/doublepost]
Yes it was never like one driver dominated before that was it? ;)

Sure it was ... BUT there where VERY EPIC race battles:

Ayrton Senna vs Prost
Schumacher vs Senna and then everybody else.

I recall watching an F1 race ... may have been in silverstone or elsewhere where a hairpin turn ended in a long straight away. Watching side by side cameras with the very LAST manual gear shifting F1 car vs sequential automatic shift and about the 3rd gear onward was really something. Man that racer could seriously shift!!

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I think the halo is ugly and agree it could have been implemented better - and I’m sure it will be in coming seasons.

BUT something I’m looking forward to is that with this new visual obstruction, different drivers will struggle while others will be bettter. Will be interesting to see.

Also.. Haas unveiling doesn’t look ugly but still meh. After months of seeing awesome renders on social media, it’s a bit of a let down. Hopefully the other teams have something more juicy to unveil.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I think the halo is ugly and agree it could have been implemented better - and I’m sure it will be in coming seasons.

BUT something I’m looking forward to is that with this new visual obstruction, different drivers will struggle while others will be bettter. Will be interesting to see.

Also.. Haas unveiling doesn’t look ugly but still meh. After months of seeing awesome renders on social media, it’s a bit of a let down. Hopefully the other teams have something more juicy to unveil.

Barring the halo, it's better looking than last year's version. imho...

Reactions: BenTrovato

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Similar to last year. Still looks good. Williams has said they have made a number of aero improvements on the new car. Hopefully it works out for them. One win since 2004!

Reactions: pachyderm

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
^^^^^ Alonso for me too. Hope this Renault engine works for McLaren. I kind of watch Ferrari too, although I'm not a fan of Vettel. He needs to grow up.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Funny I never liked Alonso when he was with McLaren (probably because of how he treated Lewis), or when he was at Ferrari because the way the team mistreated Masa.
But I feel pretty sorry for him over the last couple of years.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I just want to see Alonso vs Vettel vs Hamilton in equal machinery. I want Renault to come with a killer engine and the Red Bull’s taking wins as well. Four wins from four different drivers to start 2018. Last year there was no hope, we knew Mercedes was going to dominate. This year Merc will be strong again. There’s a chance Ferrari messes up, and there’s a chance Renault’s engine doesn’t improve enough. Few more days until we find out!

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Did the teams really show off what could be called Blender renders?

4 wheel sterring thought to enhance tight sterring?
The idea was sound. The execution was not. There needs to be enough distance between the first set of turning wheels and the second for it to be worth the effort.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG-Heuer RB14 Special Edition
On track at a wet Silverstone. I think the livery will probably be changed before the start of the new season.

The team explained, “The RB14 is currently wearing a special edition livery. We’re keeping our race-ready paint job under wraps for the time being and will unveil it at the Circuit de Catalunya next week. The unfamiliar shapes under the paint, however, are here to stay.”

https://www.grandprix247.com/2018/02/19/red-bull-rb4-breaks-cover-and-hits-the-track/

DWZWm6DWkAAC6Qu.jpg

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
As it was last year with TAG-Heuer, this year Aston Martin is now the official branding for the Power Unit, which will still be supplied by Renault.

Aston Martin and Red Bull Technologies have worked closely on road-car projects and RBR does have their engine development unit in Building 9. Horner has denied AM would provide an engine in 2019 and I expect if AM is interested, they would prefer to wait until 2021 when the new regulations come into effect, anyway.

At the moment, Red Bull Racing does not have a Power Unit supplier for 2019 as Renault has stated they will no longer supply the team with engines after this season. Team Principal Christian Horner has denied that the team will join Toro Rosso in running Honda Power Units though that would be the obvious choice. Of course, he could just be using wordplay and actually run Honda Power Units branded under a different name as they did with Renault from 2016-2018.

Horner has said that RBR has a relationship with a car manufacturer that can provide them with engines for 2019. If I had to guess, I would say Mercedes Power Units branded as Aston Martin as Mercedes AMG supplies engines for Aston Martin's road cars.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Aston Martin engine in 2019? Wouldn't be competitive.
I believe RBR are hoping that Honda (finally) get their act together this year so they can transition to them for next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.