Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Great job by RBR for P5/6.

Bottas should have been P1. Another crap job by Toto to “save the honor” of his love child. Lewis has a 50 point lead and Toto goes back on his word during the turn 3 move over.

Screw Toto and screw Mercedes. Bottas deserved to be respected this weekend. :apple:

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
So Mercedes switch drivers and let Hamilton through, though that doesn’t tell the whole story. Verstappen cut through the field to finish fifth, LeClerc impressed by finishing seventh. Hamilton had to make a crucial overtake and stuck it which is why he should win the championship at the end.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
So Mercedes switch drivers and let Hamilton through, though that doesn’t tell the whole story. Verstappen cut through the field to finish fifth, LeClerc impressed by finishing seventh. Hamilton had to make a crucial overtake and stuck it which is why he should win the championship at the end.

Lol. Keep drinking the kool aid. Bottas could have been P1. Keep waiving the flag old chap. ;)

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Lol. Keep drinking the kool aid. Bottas could have been P1. Keep waiving the flag old chap. ;)

o_O It’s difficult to say what the result would’ve been without team orders. On the face of it Bottas would have won without team orders, but there were no real attempts by LH to attach Bottas (which it is unclear whether it was pace related or team playing) and could have been pole without mistakes on qualifying.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
o_O It’s difficult to say what the result would’ve been without team orders. On the face of it Bottas would have won without team orders, but there were no real attempts by LH to attach Bottas (which it is unclear whether it was pace related or team playing) and could have been pole without mistakes on qualifying.
Lewis got a gift. This was Bottas' race.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Lewis got a gift. This was Bottas' race.

Yes it was handed to Lewis, i’m just saying that apart from the first lap we didn’t really see any fighting between the two Mercedes drivers. It was a rather team controlled race, and Bottas certainly would’ve have been a worthwhile winner.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Yes it was handed to Lewis, i’m just saying that apart from the first lap we didn’t really see any fighting between the two Mercedes drivers. It was a rather team controlled race, and Bottas certainly would’ve have been a worthwhile winner.

The real issue is how sad it is that this is how every race in F1 is in todays world. I could see it it unequivocally if it were a 5 point difference between Lewis and Seb. However, it's 50 points. Bottas should have been let by, Seb would still be P3 Lewis would still gain in the WDC. There is a reason why Bottas is referred to "riding shotgun for Lewis" on every forum outside of in here. Today was a sad day for F1. :apple:

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
The real issue is how sad it is that this is how every race in F1 is in todays world. I could see it it unequivocally if it were a 5 point difference between Lewis and Seb. However, it's 50 points. Bottas should have been let by, Seb would still be P3 Lewis would still gain in the WDC. There is a reason why Bottas is referred to "riding shotgun for Lewis" on every forum outside of in here. Today was a sad day for F1. :apple:

I agree we’re still not seeing the teams properly race, and if you ask me what the two biggest problems in F1 are today it’s (1) aerodynamics making it too difficult to overtake and (2) races being strategised to death. Saying that, Mercedes are one of the few teams to not have had an on track collision and they’re first in the championship so who knows.

Regarding the swapping, I think teams have been burnt before and while cautious ( and not ideal) I understand why Mercedes did it. Certainly I remember the 2008 season and Mclaren really should have won that series but lost it due to infighting and Kimi winning a lot of races at the end to come through; the 2010 season was similar with Seb not leading the championship until the last race. It’s certainly less egregious than when Ferrari swapped Schumi and Reubens in Austria at the sixth Grand Prix of the year in 2002 where Schumi had won 4 out of the preceding 5 races. When Mercedes told Lewis to speed up at Abu Dhabi when Mercedes has already won both championships and Lewis was trying to get cars to overtake Rosberg was also bad.

Last edited:

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Yeah...

Overall a not very satisfying win for Mercedes. The sense of accomplishment they should feel at getting the pace back on top of Ferrari is lost due to the sense of shame and guilt at having done Bottas out of a deserved victory. All to give Hamilton a few extra points in the Championship.

Bottas had to have known all season he was #2 on the team. And he cashes a very handsome paycheck for playing that role. But its still got to hurt all the same. Winning even one Grand Prix is a massive deal, and to be ordered to cede the lead has got to leave a mark.

Reactions: Glideslope

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Yeah...

Overall a not very satisfying win for Mercedes. The sense of accomplishment they should feel at getting the pace back on top of Ferrari is lost due to the sense of shame and guilt at having done Bottas out of a deserved victory. All to give Hamilton a few extra points in the Championship.

Bottas had to have known all season he was #2 on the team. And he cashes a very handsome paycheck for playing that role. But its still got to hurt all the same. Winning even one Grand Prix is a massive deal, and to be ordered to cede the lead has got to leave a mark.
Right. Professionally, Bottas did everything right and he's handsomely paid. Mercedes will clearly support him going forward. But man, these guys are raised to win.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I agree we’re still not seeing the teams properly race, and if you ask me what the two biggest problems in F1 are today it’s (1) aerodynamics making it too difficult to overtake and (2) races being strategised to death. Saying that, Mercedes are one of the few teams to not have had an on track collision and they’re first in the championship so who knows.

Regarding the swapping, I think teams have been burnt before and while cautious ( and not ideal) I understand why Mercedes did it. Certainly I remember the 2008 season and Mclaren really should have won that series but lost it due to infighting and Kimi winning a lot of races at the end to come through; the 2010 season was similar with Seb not leading the championship until the last race. It’s certainly less egregious than when Ferrari swapped Schumi and Reubens in Austria at the sixth Grand Prix of the year in 2002 where Schumi had won 4 out of the preceding 5 races. When Mercedes told Lewis to speed up at Abu Dhabi when Mercedes has already won both championships and Lewis was trying to get cars to overtake Rosberg was also bad.

My issue is that Bottas was told they would swap at the end. There was no rational explanation this could not have happened other than Toto being Teutonic. Lewis would still have gained in the WDC, and Vettel would still have been P3. This **** would not have happened if Lauda were in the room with Toto. :apple:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Team Orders have been a part of Formula One since the Championship started. Heck, in the old days the #2 driver would give up his car to the #1 during the race.

So yes, bummer that Bottas was denied a win he'd earned, but even if it had been given to him, he's effectively out of the WDC running and it arguably strengthens his position within the team for extending his contract past 2019 over having been allowed to win.

And while in a straight-up fight going forward IMO Vettel cannot beat Lewis for the WDC (the AMG is the better package now), with five races remaining Lewis can now afford two DNFs with two consequent Vettel wins and still be even in the Championship. So I understand and support the strategy, frankly, since the goal is to get Lewis to the WDC and AMG to the WCC.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Unfortunate for Bottas and embarrassing for Lewis but a tactic they need to perform to secure the championship. As a fan of racing it’s not what I like to see and you can tell the drivers aren’t keen either.
Agree. At least Lewis has the decency to not celebrate wildly.
Max made today watchable. As did the bit of overtaking by Lewis on the weaving Vettel! A good bit of driving by Lewis, but they clearly have the better car at the moment.
DC seemed to suggest that Ferrari have removed some part that was giving them an advantage that has been outlawed.
That would explain the sudden speed difference between the top 2 teams.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Agree. At least Lewis has the decency to not celebrate wildly.
Max made today watchable. As did the bit of overtaking by Lewis on the weaving Vettel! A good bit of driving by Lewis, but they clearly have the better car at the moment.
DC seemed to suggest that Ferrari have removed some part that was giving them an advantage that has been outlawed.
That would explain the sudden speed difference between the top 2 teams.

It would make sense if that were true but that also means Ferrari were forced to concede the championship with six races remaining. Must have been something massive for the FIA and F1 to not let this slide knowing ratings would tank. And then Mercedes rubs salt in the wound by pulling the gifted win scenario. Sad day for the sport, hopefully brighter days are ahead in 2019.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It would make sense if that were true but that also means Ferrari were forced to concede the championship with six races remaining. Must have been something massive for the FIA and F1 to not let this slide knowing ratings would tank. And then Mercedes rubs salt in the wound by pulling the gifted win scenario. Sad day for the sport, hopefully brighter days are ahead in 2019.
Well Japan next week which is usually good!

Reactions: BenTrovato

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
As someone in charge of a 500M euro program, Mercedes had no option but switch the positions of the drivers. Mercedes is in F1 for marketing purposes. What's the commercial value of winning the constructor's title when the Ferrari driver wins the world championship? Lewis does have a substantial lead for sure, however it's not over until the points are clinched. Sports upsets happen.

The call was likely not Toto's to make.

It was great to see James Allison on the Podium.

There was a time all F1 Broadcasts were not broadcast on TV, especially in the US before 1980. I've never seen a US Driver on the top step of the podium or heard the US National Anthem played in a F1 ceremony. I have recollection of seeing a US Flag (Cheever, USA Grand Prix in Phoenix?) once. This information hasn't changed my love and passion for the sport. It's just something noticeable as the years have passed. Please trust I know the reasons why this hasn't happened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.