Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
I’m not so sure. VW lost interest when they got the bill for diselgate.

The issue is there are no other engine suppliers seriously looking at F1. Aston Martin aren’t seriously going to build an engine (and it’ll be interesting to see what happens to their sponsorship next year) and I’ve heard no other manufacturers.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Lewis looks to be in control this weekend. Ferrari struggling over a single lap and suffering higher tyre degradation on the longer runs. Their only saving grace is that even though they were slower than the RB’s engine penalties will mean they start at the bag.

In other news Hass have confirmed their drivers remain for 2019.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
BMW or Ford then? Maybe Kia? Lol. That’s F1 2035!
It honestly doesn't matter. As long as they build engines.

If the FIA could regulate to keep the prices down, we might actually get some more manufacturers. I like Ferrari a lot, but if Ferrari left and companies like Ford, Chevrolet, or VW came in, would the sport be a lot worse? I know it would ruin Monza but a cheaper engine would just be so good for the sport.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The issue is there are no other engine suppliers seriously looking at F1. Aston Martin aren’t seriously going to build an engine (and it’ll be interesting to see what happens to their sponsorship next year) and I’ve heard no other manufacturers.

AM would not build their own engine, but is RBR ready to do so and then brand it an AM? They've had that engine development team at home base for years now.

I also believe Cosworth was interested in returning to F1.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I think Honda still has a way to go. But when the new engine specifications come out in 2020, then I think it will be all good.

I agree with with 2020. Don't write off Honda in a Adrian Newey chassis so quickly. If the Honda power is close there will be tracks that are winnable. It will come down to their ERS development IMO.

Of course, I'll be in my Maranello Corner as always. but RBR is on a roll with Max at least. If he can continue to be an adult he will be a formidable opponent in the RBR Honda. ;)
[doublepost=1538166898][/doublepost]
AM would not build their own engine, but is RBR ready to do so and then brand it an AM? They've had that engine development team at home base for years now.

I also believe Cosworth was interested in returning to F1.

I don't see RBR building an engine in-house if the Honda relationship goes well. The AM stuff is nothing but a promotional tool for revenue to operate. The 2018/2019 Vantage has the AMG 4.0L Bi-Turbo in it. I see AM moving away from in house engine production if anything. :apple:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I don't see RBR building an engine in-house if the Honda relationship goes well. The AM stuff is nothing but a promotional tool for revenue to operate. The 2018/2019 Vantage has the AMG 4.0L Bi-Turbo in it. I see AM moving away from in house engine production if anything. :apple:
This. As long as there isn't a Honda factory team, RBR has no need to build their own engine.

And Aston is like Alfa. Just mega-sponsors. Now, having a mega-sponsor is great and really raises the profile of your team, but it's not the same as building a car.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
This. As long as there isn't a Honda factory team, RBR has no need to build their own engine.

And Aston is like Alfa. Just mega-sponsors. Now, having a mega-sponsor is great and really raises the profile of your team, but it's not the same as building a car.

Agreed. I'd estimate Honda having a factory F1 Team is right up there with Chevrolet. :apple:

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
so the mclarens are absolutely nowhere...

The Renaults seem very exposed around Sochi.

Curious how Ferarri is all of a sudden half a second slower than Mercedes. You can't find that level of performance at this point in the season unless you've had that extra in your back pocket all year.

Edit: Wow!! Cars not even going out in Q2 to save tyres for tomorrow. Sad when they do this

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Well done to Bottas on Pole. I thought Toto was going to cry when he bested Lewis. ;);)

Great job by Leclerc for P6. Best of 1018. :)
[doublepost=1538226267][/doublepost]
The Renaults seem very exposed around Sochi.

Curious how Ferarri is all of a sudden half a second slower than Mercedes. You can't find that level of performance at this point in the season unless you've had that extra in your back pocket all year.

Edit: Wow!! Cars not even going out in Q2 to save tyres for tomorrow. Sad when they do this

Ferrari just does not have a chassis equal to Mercedes at this point. Have to give credit to Mercedes. Mercedes is consistently quicker through the middle sections. :apple:

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Well done to Bottas on Pole. I thought Toto was going to cry when he bested Lewis. ;);)

Great job by Leclerc for P6. Best of 1018. :)
[doublepost=1538226267][/doublepost]

Ferrari just does not have a chassis equal to Mercedes at this point. Have to give credit to Mercedes. Mercedes is consistently quicker through the middle sections. :apple:

Agree but half a second off the pace? Ferrari's been ahead for most of the year. It feels like Mercedes has a lot of performance they hold back. I guarantee they turn it down the rest of the year and we don't see this big gap again.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Agree but half a second off the pace? Ferrari's been ahead for most of the year. It feels like Mercedes has a lot of performance they hold back. I guarantee they turn it down the rest of the year and we don't see this big gap again.

Mercedes did bring updates to Sochi other than aero. Although there is not much specific info on PU revisions. I'm not sure they would hold back after Sunday. Even with the WDC, and WCC locked up IMO Toto will want to display dominance right up to Abu Dhabi. He will do "anything" to ensure Lewis has the opportunity to win every race until the end. The expression on his face at Bottas on Pole tells the "Toto Tale." Toto would crap on Bottas in a heartbeat to give Lewis a win. But that's just my opinion. I'm a Mercedes and Hamilton Hater so it's hard to be objective with them. ;)

I also think Ferrari could have the pace, but they really seem to be lost at the moment. IMO, the situation around Kimi and the will he stay or will he go drama has caused them to loose a step that they have not been able to regain. I just don't see them working as a Team as well as Mercedes at this point. There are most likely no more updates coming for Ferrari the remainder of 2018 as well. Ferrari may find themselves in a similar position in 2019 with Leclerc and Vettel. I'm concerned about the chemistry with Vettel. I think Leclerc will be a formidable challenge in 2019 if he has the tools. :apple:

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Mercedes did bring updates to Sochi other than aero. Although there is not much specific info on PU revisions. I'm not sure they would hold back after Sunday. Even with the WDC, and WCC locked up IMO Toto will want to display dominance right up to Abu Dhabi. He will do "anything" to ensure Lewis has the opportunity to win every race until the end. The expression on his face at Bottas on Pole tells the "Toto Tale." Toto would crap on Bottas in a heartbeat to give Lewis a win. But that's just my opinion. I'm a Mercedes and Hamilton Hater so it's hard to be objective with them. ;)

I also think Ferrari could have the pace, but they really seem to be lost at the moment. IMO, the situation around Kimi and the will he stay or will he go drama has caused them to loose a step that they have not been able to regain. I just don't see them working as a Team as well as Mercedes at this point. There are most likely no more updates coming for Ferrari the remainder of 2018 as well. Ferrari may find themselves in a similar position in 2019 with Leclerc and Vettel. I'm concerned about the chemistry with Vettel. I think Leclerc will be a formidable challenge in 2019 if he has the tools. :apple:

Lol .. I used to hate Merc and Hamilton but they've grown on me a bit. I'm just disappointed in Ferrari's blunders this season and also in Vettel's attitude and slip ups. Ferrari don't deserve to win this year with how they've handled everything but wish they would get their act together.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Lol .. I used to hate Merc and Hamilton but they've grown on me a bit. I'm just disappointed in Ferrari's blunders this season and also in Vettel's attitude and slip ups. Ferrari don't deserve to win this year with how they've handled everything but wish they would get their act together.

Agreed.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Mercedes looking like clear winners tomorrow. Don’t even have RB up there mixing it up.
So I expect tomorrow’s race to be quite dull. I don’t think Bottas will keep Lewis at bay. He’s been on top for a while now. As well as the upgrades they have this week they have confidence and momentum.
Ferrari have lost both, and with it most likely the WC. Only a Lewis DNF or penalties can change that now.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

Actually I think you can. As others have noted, Mercedes has the better chassis, but Ferrari had the better engine for the first half of the season which gave them the advantage in dry qualifying and races. Mercedes has now raised their engine game to the same level as Ferrari, so now the Mercedes is the better package in the dry (and will likely extend their lead in the wet).

Wow!! Cars not even going out in Q2 to save tyres for tomorrow. Sad when they do this

Between having four cars parked due to penalties and two more too uncompetitive to challenge, no reason for the rest to run when they were already guaranteed to advance to Q3.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
upload_2018-9-29_21-6-27.jpeg

Interesting Hobby. :cool:

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Mercedes looking like clear winners tomorrow. Don’t even have RB up there mixing it up.
So I expect tomorrow’s race to be quite dull. I don’t think Bottas will keep Lewis at bay. He’s been on top for a while now. As well as the upgrades they have this week they have confidence and momentum.
Ferrari have lost both, and with it most likely the WC. Only a Lewis DNF or penalties can change that now.

I think that if Bottas is leading Hamilton into the last few laps and it is doable, they’ll swap the cars. It’s still tight enough that the extra few points could make a difference.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Agree. But they have always let their guys race so who knows? Personally I think Bottas will struggle to keep Lewis behind (assuming Vettel doesn’t wipe him out at the start!).
Agreed, Vettel is so desperate and careless at the moment, he will either wipe himself out or one of the mercedes at the start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.