Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
If Lewis Hamilton was an American, he'd be the biggest, most-loved athlete in the world. But he's a Brit. And British F1 fans will just never really like him.

I remember reading an article that said that the typical Brit F1 fan could imagine going down the pub with Nigel Mansell, Jenson Button, or David Coulthard. But not Lewis Hamilton.

It's more complicated than that. Lewis Hamilton tries so hard to be a likeable guy, always gracious and complimentary on the podium and in his radio transmissions.

Great performance from Mercedes and Lewis this weekend. At this point, the Championship is his to win.

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
If Lewis Hamilton was an American, he'd be the biggest, most-loved athlete in the world. But he's a Brit. And British F1 fans will just never really like him.

I remember reading an article that said that the typical Brit F1 fan could imagine going down the pub with Nigel Mansell, Jenson Button, or David Coulthard. But not Lewis Hamilton.

It's more complicated than that. Lewis Hamilton tries so hard to be a likeable guy, always gracious and complimentary on the podium and in his radio transmissions.

Great performance from Mercedes and Lewis this weekend. At this point, the Championship is his to win.

I like him.

I dislike the fact that people gush about him when clearly there is only one car that can win.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Which Brits don't love him? He's very popular in my office.
[doublepost=1537161751][/doublepost]
I like him.

I dislike the fact that people gush about him when clearly there is only one car that can win.
I think in years gone by that was true of Mercedes.
But certainly not this year. Lewis won this race on Saturday with that blinding lap.
But all the sensible money was on Ferrari to be 1-2 on Saturday.
Lewis is just able to find that time on one lap like no other driver. He could be on 85 poles come the close of this season.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think Hamilton is pretty popular here in Britain and never got the impression he’s disliked. He got more of a cheer at the 2009 British GP than Jenson did but I suppose he was the world champion at that point. I met him after the 2008 race at Brooklands and he seemed very down to earth and grateful for where he was. He seems a lot different these days with all his fashion stuff and his social media celebrity name drops. I think some may dislike that side maybe?

He’s the best driver currently on the grid for me though and as a Brit I love to see him at the top of his game. F1 in general has fallen in popularity here in the UK though now half the season isn’t on normal TV. The home of the sport in many ways and it’s fading I think. It’ll get worse from next season I fear.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Which Brits don't love him? He's very popular in my office.
[doublepost=1537161751][/doublepost]
I think in years gone by that was true of Mercedes.
But certainly not this year. Lewis won this race on Saturday with that blinding lap.
But all the sensible money was on Ferrari to be 1-2 on Saturday.
Lewis is just able to find that time on one lap like no other driver. He could be on 85 poles come the close of this season.

Hey, I'm not saying he isn't pretty damn good. He's won several this year that have impressed me. Monza comes to mind right off the bat.

It's the same every season though. there is always one car, sometimes two, that are going to win.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Before the race on Sunday i was half expecting Vettel and Verstappen to crash into each other on the first lap perhaps even the first corner. They came pretty close but managed to survive. Hamilton no longer has the fastest car and is still doing pretty well and if he keeps it up should win another title. Vettel makes many mistakes and seem to always want to push things to the limit on the first lap.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hey, I'm not saying he isn't pretty damn good. He's won several this year that have impressed me. Monza comes to mind right off the bat.

It's the same every season though. there is always one car, sometimes two, that are going to win.
Agree. But do we really want 20 cars all going round in the same specification? Isn't that just Formula Ford etc.
Plus even then works teams have better versions of the same engine etc in those formulas.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Before the race on Sunday i was half expecting Vettel and Verstappen to crash into each other on the first lap perhaps even the first corner. They came pretty close but managed to survive. Hamilton no longer has the fastest car and is still doing pretty well and if he keeps it up should win another title. Vettel makes many mistakes and seem to always want to push things to the limit on the first lap.

I disagree for Singapore. Mercedes clearly had the better car (complete package.) Ferrari blew it on several fronts. I think Max could have challenged Lewis if the RBR had Honda Power. It really was a good show for Mercedes. Given their slightly longer wheelbase Singapore should have been a Ferrari 1/2.

Vettel freely admits he is his own worst enemy. You’ll hear very few drivers admitt that. I don’t see him at Ferrari after his current contract is up. :apple:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Agree. But do we really want 20 cars all going round in the same specification? Isn't that just Formula Ford etc.
Plus even then works teams have better versions of the same engine etc in those formulas.

Indeed, formula one has always been about the best drivers in the best cars and many forget that even the top drivers are incapable of making up for performance disadvantages. Whether it’s Jim Clark in a Lotus 43 or Senna, Mansell, Hamilton in the most dominant cars on the grid at their time, the best convert their equipment into championships.

If F1 was equalised, it wouldn’t be the pinnacle of motorsport as there would be no development race or interest from the big manufacturers.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Indeed, formula one has always been about the best drivers in the best cars and many forget that even the top drivers are incapable of making up for performance disadvantages. Whether it’s Jim Clark in a Lotus 43 or Senna, Mansell, Hamilton in the most dominant cars on the grid at their time, the best convert their equipment into championships.

If F1 was equalised, it wouldn’t be the pinnacle of motorsport as there would be no development race or interest from the big manufacturers.
Agreed. If it was just about the best cars, you would always have the same car finish 1-2. But although that sometimes happens the gap between drivers is clear.
Bottas is not as good as Lewis.
Kimi isn't (normally) as good as Vettel.
RBR? Well depends on the day! But I think Max will surpass DR with time.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I'm not saying that.I'm saying gushing about the only car that has a chance to win is stupid.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2018/09/finally-giovinazzi-to-partner-raikkonen-at-sauber-in-2019/

Giovanazzi to replace Ericsson at Sauber. Expected, but apparently Raikkonen was not forced on Sauber so Ferrari were able to fit their driver into Sauber. I guess this means Vandoorne’s only hope is Torro Rossi, with Ocon to Williams?

Also Mick Schumacher (son of ...) is now leading the GP3 standings after an amazing run of poles and victories, meaning Dan Tictum (the next in line Red Bull driver) is second in that championship.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2018/09/finally-giovinazzi-to-partner-raikkonen-at-sauber-in-2019/

Giovanazzi to replace Ericsson at Sauber. Expected, but apparently Raikkonen was not forced on Sauber so Ferrari were able to fit their driver into Sauber. I guess this means Vandoorne’s only hope is Torro Rossi, with Ocon to Williams?

Also Mick Schumacher (son of ...) is now leading the GP3 standings after an amazing run of poles and victories, meaning Dan Tictum (the next in line Red Bull driver) is second in that championship.

Indeed. Mick seems to have a strong DNA link to his father. Time will tell. Hopefully he will be in Ferrari's Academy soon. I like the way he conducts himself in F3. :apple:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Indeed. Mick seems to have a strong DNA link to his father. Time will tell. Hopefully he will be in Ferrari's Academy soon. I like the way he conducts himself in F3. :apple:

Why not a Mercedes driver like his father? After all it’s where Micheal started and finished his career. Be nicer as it’s a German brand too even if the car isn’t necessarily German.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Probably because if Ocon and Russell are struggling to get a seat as Mercedes drivers and Wehrlein has been dropped because they can’t get him a seat, Mick would be struggling too. I’m sure someone will pick him up, Ferrari seems a decent bet.

Last edited:

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
Quite the opposite, It looks like he tries really hard not to be likable.

He also sound very fake on the podiums, I simply hate the guy, yes it is fast and a great driver (probably second to Nando speaking of current drivers) but it's not because he is Brit, or Black or whatever else, it is because of his attitude.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Quite the opposite, It looks like he tries really hard not to be likable.

He also sound very fake on the podiums, I simply hate the guy, yes it is fast and a great driver (probably second to Nando speaking of current drivers) but it's not because he is Brit, or Black or whatever else, it is because of his attitude.
I think it’s a bit early to say Nando is faster than Lewis!

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
I think it’s a bit early to say Nando is faster than Lewis!
I think Fernando is one of the best drivers (may be wrong personality for F1 but still one of the best drivers of the "new age").

I would rate the current drivers like this:
1) Alonso
2) Hamilton
3) Vettel
4) Ricciardo
5) Verstappen

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I think Fernando is one of the best drivers (may be wrong personality for F1 but still one of the best drivers of the "new age").

I would rate the current drivers like this:
1) Alonso - makes bad choices and not a good team driver.
2) Hamilton - Agree he is up there with the current crop. Awesome in the wet.
3) Vettel - A good driver but I think he makes more mistakes than Lewis. He is second in arguably the best car this year.
4) Ricciardo - Comes a cross as a nice guy. How he can brake so late without locking up compared to others.
5) Verstappen - All or nothing. Think he'll get better with age.
Can't disagree with your choices, but I've added some personal comments.

Reactions: YaBe

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Looking forward to RBR with Honda Power in 2019 after watching Gasly this morning. Going to be equal with Mercedes and Ferrari in 2019. Will Adrian bring the BRB to the top? I’d put money on it. :apple:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Looking forward to RBR with Honda Power in 2019 after watching Gasly this morning. Going to be equal with Mercedes and Ferrari in 2019. Will Adrian bring the BRB to the top? I’d put money on it. :apple:
I think Honda still has a way to go. But when the new engine specifications come out in 2020, then I think it will be all good.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
I think Honda still has a way to go. But when the new engine specifications come out in 2020, then I think it will be all good.

I’m not convinced the engine specs will change - they were only be reviewed to get the VW group on board but there’s no sign that they will join so it looks like they’ll stay static.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.