Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Even though the start of the season had some interest from the perceived improvements of Ferrari and a possible battle of the championship, there continued to be a lack of on track racing, at least up front.

Over the last few races, it’s clear that the Mercedes dominance continues and the championships will be wrapped up well before the last race.

I wish I’d only wasted some of my life watching 4 races instead of 10+. I won’t be watching any on Sky next year and we’ll see what happens with them terestrial highlights.

Rumours I’m hearing suggest watching Forumula E on Youtube might prove much more rewarding

Reactions: Glideslope

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
3 place grid penalty for Vettel for speeding under a red flag. How many mistakes does that make for the year?

Given that it’s a Lewis track, it looks like it will be done by Sunday. As long as Bottas can deliver a second place of course. But depending on qualifying, Vettel could be behind a Red Bull as well.
Anyway watching FP3 now. Their first bit of dry running of the weekend.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Yeah just win the WDC tomorrow Lewis so Mexico, Brazil and Abu Dhabi can be straight-up fights for pole and race wins with everyone in Full Attack Mode and not worried about qualifying and tire-preservation strategies or team orders.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Seeing Alexander Rossi in the paddock makes me sad. He should be in F1. He was awesome a Manor.
[doublepost=1540074190][/doublepost]McLaren is a joke. Just as Honda is getting it.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
3 place grid penalty for Vettel for speeding under a red flag. How many mistakes does that make for the year?

Given that it’s a Lewis track, it looks like it will be done by Sunday. As long as Bottas can deliver a second place of course. But depending on qualifying, Vettel could be behind a Red Bull as well.
Anyway watching FP3 now. Their first bit of dry running of the weekend.

Could be quite interesting Sunday depending how soon the sun comes on the track. The unknown will be Kimi and Lewis into turn one if Kimi gets a good start. I think he will be very aggressive. I’m sure Lewis will be aware.

I think with a hotter track surface Ferrari could get out front and stay there. They have the pace this weekend. The FIA must have removed the additional PU monitoring sensors. ;););)

I also have a feeling the white line sensors are going to ruin a few drivers days once the battles heat up, if they do.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Now that the championship is all but decided, my focus this weekend is on Toro Rosso. If Honda has a better power unit than Renault, then RBR is in a game changing position. Plus, Honda brings a huge amount of $$$ to Red Bull, which could mean great things for Verstappen.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Now that the championship is all but decided, my focus this weekend is on Toro Rosso. If Honda has a better power unit than Renault, then RBR is in a game changing position. Plus, Honda brings a huge amount of $$$ to Red Bull, which could mean great things for Verstappen.
Not unless they beef up the suspension for running over the curbs.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Best race of the year by a mile. :)

Overwhelmed with joy for Kimi on P1, and to watch Ferrari not screw the strategy. The Prancing Horse is back with the update. :)

Outstanding, mature drive by Max. Schooled Lewis at the end. ;)

My year is saved by Lewis not winning #5 on my home soil. ;)

I feel soooo much for Bottas. Next year better be an even field for him. :apple:

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Best race of the year by a mile. :)

Overwhelmed with joy for Kimi on P1, and to watch Ferrari not screw the strategy.:)

Outstanding, mature drive by Max. Schooled Lewis at the end. ;)

My year is saved by Lewis not winning #5 on my home soil. ;)

I feel soooo much for Bottas. Next year better be an even field for him. :apple:
Certainly was a good one. Top three separated by a second or so, and three different manufacturers. Who says there is no close racing!

Max asking if Lewis has won the championship before the podium! Priceless!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Lewis does NOT win today! Hell yeah... onto the next race it goes, a fantastic battle today, damn I want this every race! And Maxy boy, 18th to 2nd and held off Lewis, excellent driving!

I ssooooooo want to see a proper Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull battle, where it goes right to the wire!
[doublepost=1540157074][/doublepost]

Blimy next year if I bet Red Bull again I might actually win some money then lol!

Reactions: pachyderm

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Good race today, although not the result I was hoping for. Lewis will have to finish ahead of Vettel in Mexico.

Today just brought home to me a reminder: In a dry race, a two-stop strategy rarely wins. No matter what the computer models tell you, getting through traffic and actually passing other cars seems to minimize the lap time advantage. Ferrari had the better strategy today, and it earned Kimi a well-deserved (if sadly overdue) victory. Max Verstappen seems to have matured greatly in the second half of this season. And once again two of the nicest guys on the grid (Ricciardo and Alonso) were DNFs.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Considering Max’s crash rate I think most drivers fear too much wheel to wheel with the eager kid. He is good racer and yesterday put in a very mature performance but he still has so much to learn I feel. He’ll be a future WDC I’m sure if his career puts him in the right car at the right time.

Reactions: jdechko

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I find it interesting that Verstappen is a driver Hamilton actually fears.
I think Lewis said it best. "I am going for a world Championship, He is trying to keep his podium position." Max is quite happy to take lewis out and he was smart not to continue with the overtaking move. Max is a good but over aggressive driver, his accident rate proves it as well. There is another day to win the title and he kept his car in one piece.

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
It is interesting how Martin Brundle (who I have a lot of respect for) vilified Ferrari for not pitting under the VSC. Turns out Ferrari's decision won them the race. Perhaps I'm being greedy wanting to hear a mea culpa.

I'm pessimistically optimistic for Honda. I'd love to see them get it right, but I've been to the show in this century. The end of the year looks promising only to see next year be the same old story.

Adrian Newey is the most underpaid person in F1. Super Softs don't last without a tremendous race car.

Anyone looking at Toto's face can see he's under massive pressure. Odds are well on his side for sure, however it's not over until it's over. One crash and a broken bone (or worse) can change things. (Touch wood no driver gets injured.)

I'm surprised Vettel doesn't get more penalties than he does. (and no, I'm not a Vettel hater.) I understand how people can view there is a pro-Ferrari bias. That noted, without Ferrari, there would not be Formula 1.

McLaren is beyond lost. They have more resources than multiple teams ahead of them combined in the table. They have great talent, too. This tends to point to a management issue. I know they love to talk about their ExCom structure. Results are deafening Few had a better pedigree than Stoffel. Anyone want to venture who will do better next year: George or Lando? Odds one of the two will be bounced from F1 in two years?

Will Buxton made a great observation. All citizens of Finland have to do military service. Including Kimi. He noted how Kimi took off his hat to shake the hand of the military representative on the podium.

The guy who sang the star spangled banner had some amazing pipes.

Not too many things more joyous than watching a crowd of passionate people sing: "Il Canto Degli Italiani"

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
He did, but under unusual circumstance as I recall. When was the last time someone outside the top three teams won?
I think the Renault was pretty good that year - Grosjean finished second in some races that year didn’t he. The lost non top 3 winner was possibly Seb in the Torro Rosso, or Kubica in the BMW Sauber, though Brawn winning the championship from the Ashes of Honda was an amazing story. The reliability of cars and the engine-heavy formula along with Red Bull’s dominant chassis at Monaco means race wins like Panis, Herbert or Hill in the Jordan and vanishingly unlikely .

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I think the Renault was pretty good that year - Grosjean finished second in some races that year didn’t he. The lost non top 3 winner was possibly Seb in the Torro Rosso, or Kubica in the BMW Sauber, though Brawn winning the championship from the Ashes of Honda was an amazing story. The reliability of cars and the engine-heavy formula along with Red Bull’s dominant chassis at Monaco means race wins like Panis, Herbert or Hill in the Jordan and vanishingly unlikely .
Pasta Mandinaro in a Williams wasn’t that long ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.