Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Good lord y’all are British! :D

Probably some Tea-based NASCAR sponsors. ;)

(And after googling, apparently all of NASCAR is sponsored by Monster Energy Drinks, because a) of course it is, and b) we Americans are obnoxiously loud)

Ironically I don’t even like tea, so I’d suggest a Starbucks Williams but then there’s be one on every corner! :D:oops:

On the other hand, just watched the qualifying and hadn’t realised that Max hadn’t had a pole. After his interview post qualifying I wish he had to avoid that petulant discussion with DC. Danny Ric for the win please.

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Ironically I don’t even like tea, so I’d suggest a Starbucks Williams but then there’s be one on every corner! :D:oops:

On the other hand, just watched the qualifying and hadn’t realised that Max hadn’t had a pile. After his interview post qualifying I wish he had to avoid that petulant discussion with DC. Danny Ric for the win please.
I’d also like to see Daniel Ricardo get a win. Could be the last shoey for awhile!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I feel ssooooo sorry for Max, he deserved that pole, but Dani is the more experienced driver in the same car soo.....

Will be an interesting race tomorrow that’s for sure! Hopefully the three teams will be battling to the end, make it better to watch.

Vettel was damn sour claiming maybe the Red Bulls will take themselves out.. idiot comment considering his driving recently.

And I do wish Martin Brundle would just shut up, he seems to belittle every single team that isn’t Ferrari or Mercedes, it gets very annoying and tiresome after a while.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
And the crappy Renault engine strikes again.... and Ricardo is off to dive for them next year? More fool him.
Well at least if Vettel wins we get some more excitement if Lewis doesn’t win the championship eh?
This year that rubbish engine has killed Red Bull against the others, their car is so much better on tyre wear.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I think the issue is more the packaging (and the subsequent reduction in cooling) in the Red Bull and the McLaren chassis then the Renault engine's inherent reliability. The factory Renault does not seem to be blowing engines at anywhere near the same rate.

Congrats to Lewis on his 5th WDC and Max on his first "twin win" at a track. And happy to see Ferrari able to keep the WCC going on to Brazil.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
God, the moaning child wins again.... although Max behaves a bit like a child yesterday when he lost pole.

Cannot wait for these rule changes. Cannot wait for Honda and Red Bull next year.

Well done Max :) nailed it.
[doublepost=1540760135][/doublepost]
I think the issue is more the packaging (and the subsequent reduction in cooling) in the Red Bull and the McLaren chassis then the Renault engine's inherent reliability. The factory Renault does not seem to be blowing engines at anywhere near the same rate.

Congrats to Lewis on his 5th WDC and Max on his first "twin win" at a track. And happy to see Ferrari able to keep the WCC going on to Brazil.

Wrong, because Max hasn’t blown engines anywhere near as much as Ricardo and it’s the same package, it’s poor and engine reliability.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Wrong, because Max hasn’t blown engines anywhere near as much as Ricardo and it’s the same package, it’s poor and engine reliability.

If the engine was just junk, every other Renault-powered driver should have had similar bad luck as Daniel, but they have not.

Maybe it is just Daniel's driving style that is not compatible with the engine.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
If the engine was just junk, every other Renault-powered driver should have had similar bad luck as Daniel, but they have not.

Maybe it is just Daniel's driving style that is not compatible with the engine.

Nope, just rubbish engines as the Red Bull team said, the engines let them down a lot.

Let’s see what happens next year then with Ricardo at Renault, because if it’s his driving style then he’ll be blowing engines.

Reactions: Glideslope

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Very strange race. Lots of training by the Ferraris and Mercedes, but a massive gap from the top 6 to the rest of the field. Red Bull’s car clearly works very well in Mexico. Lewis wins but all very muted.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
I will add Lewis has said he is looking forward to fighting Red Bull and Max if they get a car that can keep pace on the straights. I think that’s a battle many would love to see, with Ferrari and Vettel thrown in for good measure.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
God, the moaning child wins again.... although Max behaves a bit like a child yesterday when he lost pole.

Cannot wait for these rule changes. Cannot wait for Honda and Red Bull next year.

Well done Max :) nailed it.
[doublepost=1540760135][/doublepost]

2019 will be the year of RBR, IMO. Ferrari will have team tension between Vettel and LeClerc. Mercedes will have Hamilton/Rosberg v2. Unrestrained IMO Bottas can equal Rosberg. The **** he has had to put up with this season to ensure Lewis got #5 will be uncontainable in 2019. Toto knows this. RBR will have the complete package. Max will continue to mature and win. While he can still have moments such as we saw yesterday in qualifying it was no worse than we have seen Vettel or the whiner in chief Hamilton demonstrate.

Congratulations to Lewis on #5 and to Mercedes. God it hurts to type that.

Reactions: apolloa

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
2019 will be the year of RBR, IMO. Ferrari will have team tension between Vettel and LeClerc. Mercedes will have Hamilton/Rosberg v2. Unrestrained IMO Bottas can equal Rosberg. The **** he has had to put up with this season to ensure Lewis got #5 will be uncontainable in 2019. Toto knows this. RBR will have the complete package. Max will continue to mature and win. While he can still have moments such as we saw yesterday in qualifying it was no worse than we have seen Vettel or the whiner in chief Hamilton demonstrate.

some bold predictions there...

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

There have been times this year where Bottas has had to play number two to Lewis but there have been times when I’ve thought he didn’t deserve his seat too. If he can challenge then it needs to be from the start of the season and I’d like to see him do that.

Max just needs to mature as it could be very exciting next year, but there are times when it could result in a very big accident. The older drivers will be cautious of this no doubt.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
My favorite part of the coverage was when the reporter asked Sebastian Vettel some b/s question about "when did things go wrong for you this season?" Vettel told him he had to go an congratulate Hamilton. Which he did, with some style and grace.

Mercedes seemed to have the worst of a difficult tire situation in Mexico. Whether they brought the wrong package of tires, had the wrong qualifying/race strategy, the wrong aero/suspension setup, or there is just something about the Mercedes chassis - Hamilton seemed to have neither grip nor longevity out of his rubber. I'm sure there will be long meetings and analysis to figure out what went wrong.

Hamilton is now a Five-Time Drivers Champion. I can think of no other British sportsman or woman who has reached anything like that level of achievement.

Congrats to Verstappen for running a good, fast, and quite mature race. The Mexican fans got a good show, with lots of overtaking, and the right amount of drama.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I didn’t watch the race yesterday but I did see where Hamilton was complaining about the tires. Last week, Hamilton pitted twice. This week Bottas had an extra pit.

That’s two races in a row now. Bad luck or bad strategy by Mercedes?

Also, what’s the reason for Pirelli going Hyper/Ultra/Super-soft this week? (Sorry, still going on asking about the tyres/tires)

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Congrats to Lewis he had a very good year and has been mature enough not to blow it in the last two races but to manage things with the championship in mind and not the individual race. Personally I don't think Bottas is good enough to win a championship. He is presently sitting 4th in the championship and i don't think he will retain that place because it is likely that Verstappen will surpass him. He is a number 2 driver and would be irrespective of which team he was in.

I expect to see the race for the championship next year between Lewis, Seb and Max.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I think all the posters here expecting a three way WC battle next year between Lewis, Vettel and Max will be disappointed.

I see RBR/Honda not being quite there for the majority of races. Best of the rest, maybe closer than this year but I think it’ll be Lewis versus Vettel again.

Hope I’m wrong, but somehow doubt it.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
I think all the posters here expecting a three way WC battle next year between Lewis, Vettel and Max will be disappointed.

I see RBR/Honda not being quite there for the majority of races. Best of the rest, maybe closer than this year but I think it’ll be Lewis versus Vettel again.

Hope I’m wrong, but somehow doubt it.

I'm hope there's more of a fight. My vote for dark horse is Renault, as with Hulkenberg and Ricciardo they look a stronger pair than RBR or Ferrari from the opening (I think Gasly and LeClerc will mature a lot over the season though), and the improvement in their car they could sneak some podiums. I think the engine section may feel released without Red Bull stabbing them in the back every time somethings up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.