Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
For me Mercedes haven’t been dominant but more consistent than their rivals this year.
That’s true. Lewis has had one of his best years. Not being challenged by his teammate for most of the season also helped.
When you look at this years top 6, the biggest gulf in drivers is at Mercedes.
Probably followed by Ferrari where Vettel is usually faster than Kimi.
Then RB where things started off quite even, but poor reliability and then signing for Renault put a gap between Max and Daniel.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
I don’t think Kimi has been much of a challenge to Vettel until the last few races. Only Red Bull, Force India and Renault have had much of a competition between the drivers. Vandoorne is out because he’s been out qualified by Alonso in every race.

In other news Rob Smedley has left Williams. I’m very worried about them as they’ve sacked both lead designers and have no lead sponsor. Another year of pay driver [Gutierrez or Smertin] would kill them I think. Maybe if we all chip in we could buy them?
That’s true. Lewis has had one of his best years. Not being challenged by his teammate for most of the season also helped.
When you look at this years top 6, the biggest gulf in drivers is at Mercedes.
Probably followed by Ferrari where Vettel is usually faster than Kimi.
Then RB where things started off quite even, but poor reliability and then signing for Renault put a gap between Max and Daniel.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I don’t think Kimi has been much of a challenge to Vettel until the last few races. Only Red Bull, Force India and Renault have had much of a competition between the drivers. Vandoorne is out because he’s been out qualified by Alonso in every race.

In other news Rob Smedley has left Williams. I’m very worried about them as they’ve sacked both lead designers and have no lead sponsor. Another year of pay driver [Gutierrez or Smertin] would kill them I think. Maybe if we all chip in we could buy them?
Team AFB Williams MOFS? Not sure I can afford it this month as I’m buying a Mac mini.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Team AFB Williams MOFS? Not sure I can afford it this month as I’m buying a Mac mini.

I think you’re change from the Mac Mini will be enough.:( More like Macrumors Community Forums Williams Mercedes.:p
Now we just need someone with better photoshopping skills than me ...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I think you’re change from the Mac Mini will be enough.:( More like Macrumors Community Forums Williams Mercedes.:p
Now we just need someone with better photoshopping skills than me ...
Well don’t look at me! My PS skills are as about as good as the post race drivers debriefings at Force India!

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Interesting article on the BBC Sport website, something long the lines of "Hamilton wins because he have the best car, right?" I make no assertion if the report is or is not biased for a British driver.

Mercedes had success this year because they optimised the race weekend. Both Saturday and Sunday in my opinion. Vettel also made some mistakes. When 10 cars can be covered by 1 second, 1 mistake can impact the year. Bottas had some bad luck in the beginning of the year that just put him on the back foot. I think he's closer to Lewis than people claim, however he's just in a bad circumstance this season. (Otherwise, Ocon would be in the car!)

Sad to see Rob Smedley go. I hope he's on gardening leave, and will find a new home. That's not the official story at this time. It would be great for the sport if he found himself to Renault or McLaren.

Viet Nam 2020. The course on paper looks good. Some long straights. I'd love to see the Red Bull Ring rebuild the "blast out to the forest" section. I miss the days of "power circuits".

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I always laugh when articles suggest a driver only wins because of the car like it should be a surprise. The best drivers always win championships in the car that is the best over the course of a season.

It’s funny because right now Hamilton will get this criticism but in the future he’ll be remembered like the other greats. People forget even Senna won in the best car and had days when he could be average lol. It’s all part and parcel of being a racing driver.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Jim Clark only ever won titles with the best car, but nobody would dare suggest that discredits his titles. Senna was the same. Very few titles have been won without the best car. Maybe the last one was Schumacher in 1995 (1994 doesn't count - the car was barely legal).

The best drivers tend to find the best cars. Alex Yoong never made it to a Ferrari drive.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Mercedes had success this year because they optimised the race weekend. Both Saturday and Sunday in my opinion. Vettel also made some mistakes. When 10 cars can be covered by 1 second, 1 mistake can impact the year. Bottas had some bad luck in the beginning of the year that just put him on the back foot. I think he's closer to Lewis than people claim, however he's just in a bad circumstance this season. (Otherwise, Ocon would be in the car!)

Bottas even said as much. To his credit, he owned up to his mistakes and played his #2 role for Hamilton and Mercedes the second half of the season. I really think they're a great team, and I can't wait for the final 2 races.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Kudos to Hamilton for threatening to walk away from F1 if it goes to a 25 race season. Simply too many races, and destroys the personal life of the driver. This is not some series that goes back and forth from New York to California. Liberty will destroy F1 at the current rate.

Bring back Bernie. :apple:

Reactions: pachyderm

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Kudos to Hamilton for threatening to walk away from F1 if it goes to a 25 race season. Simply too many races, and destroys the personal life of the driver. This is not some series that goes back and forth from New York to California. Liberty will destroy F1 at the current rate.

God no please nooooooo... not Bernie.....

As for 25 races, nah I think the current number is more then enough, I’d probably be happy with one every other weekend, and not have that run of a race every weekend like we do.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
God no please nooooooo... not Bernie.....

As for 25 races, nah I think the current number is more then enough, I’d probably be happy with one every other weekend, and not have that run of a race every weekend like we do.

Fair enough. I rescind my Bernie remark. It’s just that he always was on Ferrari’s side in disagreements.;);)

Reactions: apolloa

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I think there are too many races at the moment.
It’s not just the impact on the drivers! It also cuts into your weekends if you are a fan.

They should drop any race that doesn’t generate overtaking on track.

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

No.
[doublepost=1541763244][/doublepost]
I think there are too many races at the moment.
It’s not just the impact on the drivers! It also cuts into your weekends if you are a fan.

They should drop any race that doesn’t generate overtaking on track.

So we'd be down to maybe 2 races?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Not if they improved the tracks!
If I was a track owner I’d only make improvements if F1 paid for it. Seeing how tracks often operate at very little profit and have to pay huge sums of money to host an F1 race, I can see why the likes of Silverstone are close to telling the sport to go and jump let alone invest in improvements. F1 is a greedy sport operating on massive profits at the expense of the facilities that showcase their lovely sport IMO. Drop the dessert car parks like Bahrain and Yas Marina would be a start.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
F1 should stop ruining tracks. Every other series races fine on these tracks, so why do we keep ruining them for F1? Did we actually need to chop the second last corner off of Barcelona? Or add the complex at Silverstone? Or the new bus stop at Spa? Did Fuji need butchered? All of these worked perfectly fine for every other series, and they were changed because F1s racing wasn't good enough - and yet people still say the tracks are the problem.

The tracks are fine. They're fine for every other series. F1 cars are the problem. There are numerous solutions that work such as the Swift Mushroom Buster, yet we're still here saying the tracks are the problem.

I love F1, but I love motorsport more. In general, F1 is a virus - it turns up, ruins tracks, bankrupts them and then moves on - usually to the middle east, leaving previously popular venues ruined for other series. Too many tracks are ruined to suit F1 that were perfectly suitable.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
F1 should stop ruining tracks. Every other series races fine on these tracks, so why do we keep ruining them for F1? Did we actually need to chop the second last corner off of Barcelona? Or add the complex at Silverstone? Or the new bus stop at Spa? Did Fuji need butchered? All of these worked perfectly fine for every other series, and they were changed because F1s racing wasn't good enough - and yet people still say the tracks are the problem.

The tracks are fine. They're fine for every other series. F1 cars are the problem. There are numerous solutions that work such as the Swift Mushroom Buster, yet we're still here saying the tracks are the problem.

I love F1, but I love motorsport more. In general, F1 is a virus - it turns up, ruins tracks, bankrupts them and then moves on - usually to the middle east, leaving previously popular venues ruined for other series. Too many tracks are ruined to suit F1 that were perfectly suitable.

Another track was the Hockenheimring! What F1 forced that track to become was absolutely shocking.

Reactions: Akrapovic

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Reactions: The-Real-Deal82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.