Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
The Lotus had a trick "FRIC?" braking system which was eventually ruled illegal. It may have been the following year.

That's not intended to take anything away from their podiums/victory. It was legal when they won.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
7 different winners. Kubica won a race for BMW after they bought Sauber.

Up for debate if that counts it as a Sauber victory, would be like giving Mercedes credit for the wins of Tyrrell, BAR, Honda and Brawn GP...

Reactions: pachyderm

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Some great video of Emerson Fittipaldi putting his old Mclaren M23 through it's paces in a Key Biscayne Blvd demo. Methinks he was a bit too scared to do donuts and damage the car.

Emerson in a cockpit remains magical to me.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes-forced-to-change-wheel-rim-design/

The discussion is that Mercedes developed a cooling wheel rim that helped their tyre problems, seen most vividly at Silverstone and Spa, ran it at Monza, Singapore and Suzuka, and then Ferrari have explored a protest. Mercedes then ran a part that was less effective hence their return to cooling/ blistering tyre issues.
It’s all a game. How far can I bend the rules. They all do it. Clever buggers.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
It’s all a game. How far can I bend the rules. They all do it. Clever buggers.

Yeah it’s been ongoing for ages. One of the things that annoys me about Christian Horner’s attitute to Renault was Renault helped developed the blow exhaust which was a key aspect of their title winning cars, later banned.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yeah it’s been ongoing for ages. One of the things that annoys me about Christian Horner’s attitute to Renault was Renault helped developed the blow exhaust which was a key aspect of their title winning cars, later banned.
You’re only as good as your latest design. The past is great for the memories, but is quickly forgotten.

One of the reasons Renault decided to develop their own team was how little recognition they got for those title wins.

Reactions: MOFS

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The discussion is that Mercedes developed a cooling wheel rim that helped their tyre problems, seen most vividly at Silverstone and Spa, ran it at Monza, Singapore and Suzuka, and then Ferrari have explored a protest. Mercedes then ran a part that was less effective hence their return to cooling/ blistering tyre issues.

Heh, I remember when Ferrari used to "bake" the wheel rims in special heaters along with the tires so they would not cool down as quickly when being run out to the car during pit stops and would help improve tire warm up times during the early laps.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
My friend was in the paddock this weekend... gave me this today

875713d1_8973_4946_935c_8b75c411bcc9_54c1c064d7c451edd496980b1fe581b285e06c14.jpeg

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The Haas Formula 1 team has agreed a new title sponsorship deal with energy drinks company Rich Energy from the start of next year.

The deal will prompt a rebranding of the team's livery, and is Haas's first title sponsor since it joined F1 at the beginning of 2016.

The UK-based Rich Energy company has been looking at various opportunities to link up with teams, and tried hard to buy out Force India as recently as this year.

But with that door now closed following a takeover by Lawrence Stroll's consortium, Rich Energy has focused its efforts on a straight sponsorship deal.

Its CEO William Storey was in Austin last weekend and spoke to several teams before concluding a deal with Haas.

Haas boss Gunther Steiner said: "Securing a title partner in Rich Energy is another milestone moment in the development of Haas F1 Team.

"We welcome their commitment to us as an organization, and together we share an ambition to advance further in our respective fields."

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The Haas Formula 1 team has agreed a new title sponsorship deal with energy drinks company Rich Energy from the start of next year.

The deal will prompt a rebranding of the team's livery, and is Haas's first title sponsor since it joined F1 at the beginning of 2016.

The UK-based Rich Energy company has been looking at various opportunities to link up with teams, and tried hard to buy out Force India as recently as this year.

But with that door now closed following a takeover by Lawrence Stroll's consortium, Rich Energy has focused its efforts on a straight sponsorship deal.

Its CEO William Storey was in Austin last weekend and spoke to several teams before concluding a deal with Haas.

Haas boss Gunther Steiner said: "Securing a title partner in Rich Energy is another milestone moment in the development of Haas F1 Team.

"We welcome their commitment to us as an organization, and together we share an ambition to advance further in our respective fields."
So there is going to be two drinks represented on the grid I’ve never tasted next season then?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yorkshire Tea livery would be amusing, if only cause the ads would be amusing! Rich Energy should at least give Haas an interesting livery, as their brand appears to be black with some old gold detailing.
Like JPS from back in the day? Cool. Yes didn’t they do the one with the Kaiser chiefs?

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Good lord y’all are British! :D

Probably some Tea-based NASCAR sponsors. ;)

(And after googling, apparently all of NASCAR is sponsored by Monster Energy Drinks, because a) of course it is, and b) we Americans are obnoxiously loud)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Good lord y’all are British! :D

Probably some Tea-based NASCAR sponsors. ;)

(And after googling, apparently all of NASCAR is sponsored by Monster Energy Drinks, because a) of course it is, and b) we Americans are obnoxiously loud)
F1 is run by the British. Nearly all the cars are built and designed here. All the engineers run on tea!
Imagine if Adrian Newey drank red bull all day?
EDAB5B0B-3245-464C-9033-E0DEF6C7686A.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.