Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did the 8/28/18 supplemental update fix your high fan activity/heat issue?

• Yes.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • No, but it fixed the Bridge OS kernel panic.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • No, but it fixed the speakers/audio crackling.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • No, it didn't fix the fan/heat issue.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I wasn't having a fan/heat issue.

Votes: 26 59.1%

• Total voters

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Open terminal and copy and paste this -

yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null &

It’s known as a yes command. Paste it 4 times, that will max out all your cores, when you’re done testing, type in -

killall yes

That will terminate the yes command.
Let us know how you get on. You’ll know for sure how good your cooling is this way.

Would you have to do it 6 times for 6 cores?

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Would you have to do it 6 times for 6 cores?

Remember you have 12 cores, 6 real 6 virtual. So if you do it 3 times that will max out your cpu. Each ‘copy paste’ will max out four cpus. So 3x4=12 cores.

But you can do as many as you want. Doesn’t change it, when you open activity monitor, they’ll just use less % as you add more and more.

But three should do the trick. If I’ve got my calcs wrong (it’s 5am) just do four. It’s all good !

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Remember you have 12 cores, 6 real 6 virtual. So if you do it 3 times that will max out your cpu. Each ‘copy paste’ will max out four cpus. So 3x4=12 cores.

But you can do as many as you want. Doesn’t change it, when you open activity monitor, they’ll just use less % as you add more and more.

But three should do the trick. If I’ve got my calcs wrong (it’s 5am) just do four. It’s all good !

Ok. Here is the temp and fan speeds after doing it 4 times ...

46c21ea0573ac7e3215650456db4fe95.png

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Ok. Here is the temp and fan speeds after doing it 4 times ...

Not going to lie that is hot. But bare in mind you’re maxing 6 cores at 2.9ghz. That’s expected, my 2.2 pushes around 95c. So marginal difference in temp considering the extra performance.

However it’s more so the temps you’re getting when you’re just above idling. Least you know your heat sink is working, might be a dodgy bug.

I would either try chrome or download the safari beta.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

If it was only the web page thing, I wouldn't be too worried about it. But there has been some other examples where it seems to just randomly ramp up. The iTunes phone sync being the most recent. Normally when I plug in my phone it might spike up to like 74c for a second while it is opening iTunes and drop back down. But that time it just climbed up near that 100c mark, the fans kicked in, etc. I tried to repeat it half a dozen times yesterday and once this AM and nothing. Behaving as normal. There have been a few other instances, but one with Affinity, I can't recall the others, where it just ramped up, but any other time behaves as normal. Just a little odd. Maybe the supplement has some bugs?

I can't run Mojave because I have a couple of programs that just won't run on it. I found that out putting it on my iMac. But I may try installing it and then rolling it back and see if that firmware update that results, solves the random issues.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
When running a banchmark I had something like Cinebench in mind, so that you can compare the score. Or a least open Intel Power Gadget when running the ‘yes’ commands. You’re hitting 100c at 20% already, so you’re going to hit at 100% also. I mean everybody will. The question is whether your cooling system is compromised.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Mine has just a few days and although I don't hear the fans it gets a bit warm when watching YouTube videos or browsing Facebook. I have the 13-inch Touch Bar i5 quad-core model.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
When running a banchmark I had something like Cinebench in mind, so that you can compare the score. Or a least open Intel Power Gadget when running the ‘yes’ commands. You’re hitting 100c at 20% already, so you’re going to hit at 100% also. I mean everybody will. The question is whether your cooling system is compromised.

Cinebench will also result in temps at or near 100c, particularly the CPU (Single Core) text.

Results seem disappointing....

72db2d91895700e592fa92e107b1c6d4.png

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Cinebench will also result in temps at or near 100c, particularly the CPU (Single Core) text.

Results seem disappointing....

But it’s not catastrophic, I thought you may be getting half of that. Check if your dGPU is not active, maybe that’s causing additional heat. On the plus side - that may be a perfect opportunity to create a YouTube video bashing Apple and i9. Once you’ll find the cause it will be too late.

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
But it’s not catastrophic, I thought you may be getting half of that. Check if your dGPU is not active, maybe that’s causing additional heat. On the plus side - that may be a perfect opportunity to create a YouTube video bashing Apple and i9. Once you’ll find the cause it will be too late.

Hahaha. I saw the oven was already done. Microwave? Drier? Use is to cook some eggs and bacon?

BTW, where in Pittsburgh are you from? I grew up in Mt. Lebanon.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
BTW, where in Pittsburgh are you from? I grew up in Mt. Lebanon.
Wexford, but since you're in CO - I'm in WY right now and will take a flight from Denver around 5pm today back home. Already looking forward to finding ways to avoid traffic on i25. I swear going back to Denver on Fridays from the north I spend more time driving on the side roads than on the interstate.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Wexford, but since you're in CO - I'm in WY right now and will take a flight from Denver around 5pm today back home. Already looking forward to finding ways to avoid traffic on i25. I swear going back to Denver on Fridays from the north I spend more time driving on the side roads than on the interstate.

I always do. Especially when traveling by motorcycle. I try to avoid any road beginning with I-. The same applies if you are heading east on Sundays. I-70 is a mess from about Frisco into Denver Sunday evenings. I will take 9 to Fairplay and 285 down to Morrison to avoid it :)

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Not going to lie that is hot. But bare in mind you’re maxing 6 cores at 2.9ghz. That’s expected, my 2.2 pushes around 95c. So marginal difference in temp considering the extra performance.

However it’s more so the temps you’re getting when you’re just above idling. Least you know your heat sink is working, might be a dodgy bug.

Is it surprisingly hot, though? My 2018 13" i7 hits 100ºc almost immediately on 100% CPU, then drops as the fans ramp up, ending up wobbling between 93 and 98 once they hit 6000rpm.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Is it surprisingly hot, though? My 2018 13" i7 hits 100ºc almost immediately on 100% CPU, then drops as the fans ramp up, ending up wobbling between 93 and 98 once they hit 6000rpm.

I’m just not sure, what are our references? I mean if you compare it to an inch thick laptop, we’d be looking at mid 70s. My 2016 i5 dual core mbp wouldn’t go higher than 75 regardless of how long I maxed it for.

I think as long as you’re not in discomfort I.e. working on your lap it’s a non issue. These machines are meant to be worked, you wouldn’t drive a bmw round the city all day.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
I’m just not sure, what are our references? I mean if you compare it to an inch thick laptop, we’d be looking at mid 70s. My 2016 i5 dual core mbp wouldn’t go higher than 75 regardless of how long I maxed it for.

I think as long as you’re not in discomfort I.e. working on your lap it’s a non issue. These machines are meant to be worked, you wouldn’t drive a bmw round the city all day.

Oh, I only meant in comparison to other 2018 MBPs. :)

There's no doubt the 2018 MBP in general runs hotter than any laptop I've ever come across when pushed hard. I'm just saying I don't think the OP's temps are abnormally high for this model.

Last edited:
Reactions: Premal212

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
You want to know hot? Just dropped my car at the airport, took my bag and it was surprisingly warm. Bloody Bluetooth mouse, I didn’t turn it off, must have woke the MacBook from sleep. You couldn’t hold it in your hand. It shut itself off, for couple of minutes I couldn’t turn it on, we’ll see if it is still one piece. It smells ... funny.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
You want to know hot? Just dropped my car at the airport, took my bag and it was surprisingly warm. Bloody Bluetooth mouse, I didn’t turn it off, must have woke the MacBook from sleep. You couldn’t hold it in your hand. It shut itself off, for couple of minutes I couldn’t turn it on, we’ll see if it is still one piece. It smells ... funny.

Ooooh. That doesn’t sound good. Hopefully your bag maybe took the only real damage? Cheaper to replace

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
It is fine, I looked through the logs, and yeah, EC.Bluetooth wake event every couple of minutes during 3 hour drive. I have yet to see bag that would be damaged from heat, I've been windows user for years so I'm used to picking up a hot potato from my bag. There was this one thread where someone was asking about opinions on XPS vs Apple. I wanted to reply that the nice change is that I can just close the lid on Mac and pick up where I left off, while the XPS would wake up randomly and I got used to just closing everything and shutting it down. I think I'll pass on replying to him for now.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK

Hahaha, I made that mistake when I decided to update my 2016 on the train, arrived quicker than I thought and threw the laptop into the sleeve - wrong way in...

could be worse mate, least you didn't brick your machine.

Reactions: Howard2k

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Hahaha, I made that mistake when I decided to update my 2016 on the train, arrived quicker than I thought and threw the laptop into the sleeve - wrong way in...

could be worse mate, least you didn't brick your machine.

That takes a special kind of confidence!

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
That takes a special kind of confidence!

And stupidity.

I might give Volta a shot. There’s a trial, see if it makes any difference. A 10% hit I’m not going to be able to tell on a day to day basis. Maybe when I’m rendering I’ll take it off. See how much of a difference it makes.

califfo1975

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
Hi everybody,

I have a high end spec model with i9 and I have the strong feeling that the fans tend to activate more often than on my previous 2016 MBP (and effectively the shell is warm but not very hot) with relatively light usage.

I have updated high sierra 10.13.6 and performed the SMC reset: things seem a little bit better but I have still the strong impression that fans activate too often, e.g. when downloading, in parallel, updates or performing a virus barrier scan or when just using the very slow Nikon View NX-I.

I am still in the two weeks return period: this is my second unit as the first one had dead pixels: i returned the first before being able to appreciate a similar issue on fans during / after configuration

What are your current and latest experiences, vs what is already reported above?
What are your advises to understand if i have a real issue (as someone else posting in this forum) or i am in the scatter of what is reported here above?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited:

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
or performing a virus barrier scan

This App really heats up when scanning the HD. It was pushing my 2017 to the 90's if I remember correctly. I ended up getting a different malware scanner and it only runs in the 50's on that app. So the problem is the App not the machine. It was a few bucks but I have it loaded on the Family up to 6 machines for cost of 1x

I read posts that Mojave runs cooler then High Sierra. Overall the 2018 are going to run a little hotter then previous versions 6 cores vs 4 cores same chassis as 2016/2017.

If you download the free intel power gadget you can see and post actual usage and temperature which may help to decide if you have an unusual problem. For example I attached the snapshot of a 2017 MBP 15" 2.9 and a 2018 MBP 15" 2.6 both running Geekbench 4 test.

I hope that helps.
'

Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 10.51.13 AM.png

2017 15" 2.9 4 Core.png 2018 15" 2.6 6 Core.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.