Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did the 8/28/18 supplemental update fix your high fan activity/heat issue?

• Yes.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • No, but it fixed the Bridge OS kernel panic.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • No, but it fixed the speakers/audio crackling.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • No, it didn't fix the fan/heat issue.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I wasn't having a fan/heat issue.

Votes: 26 59.1%

• Total voters

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
...relatively light usage... in parallel... performing a virus barrier scan...

First, might I presume "in parallel" might mean "running a virtual machine in Parallels"?

If so, that is not light usage. Nor are most virus scans, which involve deep inspection of many thousands of files. Neither usage is typically throttled to reduce CPU or power consumption. Depending on your virtual machine setting in Parallels, it could even be consuming all your cores, especially if you're running more than one VM.

Both these usages will spin up your fans, sometimes a lot.

You might try a different virus scanner; maybe you'll find one that isn't as eager to press the pedal to the metal. macOS doesn't need frequent virus scanning anyway (though a Windows VM will).

Activity Monitor and its equivalents in your VMs might tell you a thing or two also. For example, I had a hung driver in a Windows VM a few months ago that was spinning up two cores and killing my old machine's performance and battery life and, yes, making it run quite hot.

I have a similar machine, six-core i9, top spec, lots of RAM, and sometimes when I really pound it with more than one VM it'll get somewhat warm, but never hot. It seems to run much cooler than my dearly departed 2014 rMBP that it replaced.

I hope you get this sorted and end up as fond of your new machine as I am of mine!

califfo1975

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
Thanks guys for your replies
I am sad to say that i am going to request a replacement as 4th usb c port does not alloiw charging unless connecting the power cable only in one upside position. I tried all kind of resets (SMC, NVRAM, ETC....) without success. No iphone charging, on this port, whatever the sense of cable connection and random working of hard disk connection. I read a lots of complaints on this failure which may happen sometime later too, apparently.
Any advise on this please?
Thanks again

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
My MBP will not charge my iPhone unless I have the power plugged in the laptop. I have many times plug in my iPhone in the field on lap top battery to hot spot wifi and it does not charge my iPhone unless I have the laptop on charge as well.

Is this what you are speaking of?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.