Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
I guess T2 functions are attractive to some folks, but I'd gladly pay extra to have it removed entirely.
The T2 is not there because of being attractive to users (in fact, most -if not all- Mac changes introduced by Apple in recent years have been completely unattractive to users: MagSafe removal, USB-A removal, dongleland, just to name three). The T2 is there because it's part of the new Apple strategy. The T2 concept fits nicely with the new Apple goals: sandboxing the machine from the user, so that the user has less ways to control and fine-tune the machine, while of course the control shifts to Apple, in their new service-based strategies.

josuu11

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2018
I bought my MBP 2018 13" Silver in August. First I had a lot of KP. Then I had unexpected restarts without any message, and now, I have been without a problem for a week (I don't think it's a solution but it's something). Apple doesn't know the problem, but I'm think they are working on it. I know that everyone here have restarted the MBP a lot of times and it's frustrating, but try to do this to figure out if this is a solutions for me, or if it could works and we could see where the problem come from. This is what I have done:

1.Delete all. Remove the MacOs system installed in your computers with MacOsRecovery. (save your things, but don't use the time machine).
2. Once it's all cleaned, turn off and turn on, and you would see a simple folder with a "?" because there's not operating system. Turn off again. THIS STEP IS NECESSARY.
3. Turn on holding "command and R". You will see a globe spinning. Select your Wi Fi connection and then wait.
4. Once appears the MacOs Recovery, install the MacOs system (not matter what it appears, install it, in my case was High Sierra).
5. In the configuration, don't turn on filevault, put your account, don't use the time machine.
6. Once we are in the Mac, don't open anything, go to app store and install macOS Mojave (just if you installed High Sierra before).
7. Once we have macOS Mojave installed, turn off, and turn on in safe mode pressing the shift key until you will see the login window. Log in with your account, and then turn off again with the menu of apple (left above).
8. Then turn on as normal, and use your computers but with these rules:

1. Don't charge your computer with the connector closer to the headphones.
2. Don't use your camera, so, don't use any program that use this: FaceTime, Skype, Photo booth...
3. Don't connect anything, just use the USB-C to charge.
4. Disconnect the automatic adjustment of the brightness.
5. Disconnect in energy saver, in power adapter: prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off.
6. Disconnect power nap in energy saver in both cases.

If you have a restart, turn on the Mac on safe mode, and then turn off.

I know that everyone will think it's a simple restart. I restarted my MBP 6 times in two months, but doing these steps, this is the first time that my MBP works well.

PD: I'm from Spain, sorry for my English, and I hope that these problems will disappear soon.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
2. Don't use your camera, so, don't use any program that use this: FaceTime, Skype, Photo booth...
5. Disconnect in energy saver, in power adapter: prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off.

You're kidding, right? This is your definition of your MBP "working well"?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think you forgot to add the /s at the end of your post and a few other suggestions like these: Don't use the the keyboard, don't use the touchbar, don't use the trackpad, don't look at the screen as it will sense your fear. :confused:

/s

Seriously, if I had to go through that rigamarole, I would return or sell the computer because you ought to be able to use the the camera, USB-C, automatic brightens, etc etc
[doublepost=1546093634][/doublepost]
you had the 2.2ghz 2018 right? Still glad you made that choice? I am thinking of diving back in an seeing if I come out with a pearl.
One more thing, I'd like to add. I really don't push my computer too much and I never put the computer to sleep - its shutdown or always on. (I shut it down when I put it in my carrying case).

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
I think you forgot to add the /s at the end of your post and a few other suggestions like these: Don't use the the keyboard, don't use the touchbar, don't use the trackpad, don't look at the screen as it will sense your fear. :confused:

/s

Seriously, if I had to go through that rigamarole, I would return or sell the computer because you ought to be able to use the the camera, USB-C, automatic brightens, etc etc
[doublepost=1546093634][/doublepost]
One more thing, I'd like to add. I really don't push my computer too much and I never put the computer to sleep - its shutdown or always on. (I shut it down when I put it in my carrying case).
Main activities?

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008

You forgot the last one..

7. Don't buy this computer

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016
Has anyone compared manufactured locations and dates to see if there are bad batches somewhere?

Here's mine below if it helps, so far no problems 'yet' and I use it alot dock/undocked it's my only computer. I decoded the serial number using the link below found in another thread.

- out of the box config
purchased from adorama.com on Nov. 25, 2018, received delivery/began using Dec. 12, 2018.
2018 15" i7 2.6GHz/16GB/1TB/Vega 20/Mojave 10.14.1
manufactured location: Tech Com – Quanta Computer Subsidiary, China
manufactured week: Nov. 25, 2018 - Dec. 1, 2018

https://beetstech.com/blog/decode-meaning-behind-apple-serial-number

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Has anyone compared manufactured locations and dates to see if there are bad batches somewhere?

Here's mine below if it helps, so far no problems 'yet' and I use it alot dock/undocked it's my only computer. I decoded the serial number using the link below found in another thread.

- out of the box config
purchased from adorama.com on Nov. 25, 2018, received delivery/began using Dec. 12, 2018.
2018 15" i7 2.6GHz/16GB/1TB/Vega 20/Mojave 10.14.1
manufactured location: Tech Com – Quanta Computer Subsidiary, China
manufactured week: Nov. 25, 2018 - Dec. 1, 2018

https://beetstech.com/blog/decode-meaning-behind-apple-serial-number

Apple was supposedly doing that when they collected my first one for Bridge OS errors, or at least that is what they told me at the time. They said they were tracking manufacturing locations, dates, etc. to determine if the issue was related to one of those factors and perhaps a bad batch of chips.

Since the problem still persists, I am guessing that they have long ago decided that was fruitless and that the problem extends beyond a bad batch of chips. 1 year plus since the mid-December 2017 release of the iMac Pro and still not eradicated.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
It’s a sad truth. I do wonder if the change to arm will resolve all this.

It should.

I believe the problem that Apple is having is in the interfacing between the Apple T2 processor and the Intel processor. Interfacing between two complicated processors, especially if you don't have design control over both, is a recipe for some problems.

An ARM designed by Apple would most likely include the T2 functionality.

That still will not help with the keyboard design :).
[doublepost=1546151585][/doublepost]
Does using FileVault affect this Bridge OS crash issue?

There is currently no known strategy guaranteed to prevent T2 errors other than return your computer and get a replacement. Some people have gone through more than one replacement but eventually you should be T2 error free if you keep trying. Reading through this long thread, it looks like a single replacement worked for a majority of the people.

As far as the FileVault, turning it off seemed to fix a few people's problems but there are many people in this thread who's T2 problems did not go away after turning off FileVault.

There are also post by people who have FileVault on and no T2 issues.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Does using FileVault affect this Bridge OS crash issue?
In theory FileVault shouldn't affect the T2 KPs, because the disk is always encrypted on the fly no matter if you enable FileVault or not (thus the T2 is doing always the same load of work: encrypting and decrypting the disk on the fly... disabling FileVault doesn't make the T2 do less work). However, some users said that disabling FileVault helped them... I believe it was not real but just a coincidence, but who knows...

FWIW, my i9 purchased in October is still KP-free, with FileVault enabled from first day. And it's still at High Sierra (I belong to that kind of Mac users who used to say "when something works, don't touch it").

josuu11

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2018
jajajaj, let me explain: Apple don't give us any solution and I can't give it back and recover my money and I can't change it for another one. What I have to do? Wait without using it? I'm trying to find the way to use it without any unexpected restarts and after MONTHS, I get my computer works without something strange. We're not engineer of Apple. I called Apple Support 20 times and nobody give me any solution. NOBODY. At least I can use it but with some restrictions. All we have to do is wait until apple fix this. Of course, I'm frustrated and angry with this like you.

Reactions: Never mind

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
In theory FileVault shouldn't affect the T2 KPs, because the disk is always encrypted on the fly no matter if you enable FileVault or not (thus the T2 is doing always the same load of work: encrypting and decrypting the disk on the fly... disabling FileVault doesn't make the T2 do less work). However, some users said that disabling FileVault helped them... I believe it was not real but just a coincidence, but who knows...

FWIW, my i9 purchased in October is still KP-free, with FileVault enabled from first day. And it's still at High Sierra (I belong to that kind of Mac users who used to say "when something works, don't touch it").
It was my understanding that FileVault is the disk encryption, and the disk is not encrypted unless FileVault is enabled. System Preferences > Security & Privacy > FileVault: "FileVault secures the data on your disk by encrypting its contents automatically".

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It was my understanding that FileVault is the disk encryption, and the disk is not encrypted unless FileVault is enabled. System Preferences > Security & Privacy > FileVault: "FileVault secures the data on your disk by encrypting its contents automatically".
As I understand it with these T2 models, the data is always encrypted and turning on FieVault just adds a password to the encryption.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208344

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
As I understand it with these T2 models, the data is always encrypted and turning on FieVault just adds a password to the encryption.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208344
Ah, good find, thank you. I feel that there is something wrong somewhere. The System Preferences language leads me to believe that there is no encryption without FileVault. However, the language in the Apple Support document you linked leads me to believe that the encryption is enabled regardless of the status of FileVault.

Compare this:
System Preferences > Security & Privacy > FileVault: "FileVault secures the data on your disk by encrypting its contents automatically".

with this:

Apple support document: "You should also turn on FileVault for additional security, because without FileVault enabled, your encrypted SSDs automatically mount and decrypt when connected to your Mac".

Those two seem to contradict each other. Perhaps Apple intends to deprecate FileVault by using the T2 chip.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I think they will be keeping FV with the T2, but it is just implemented differently than before. I agree with you it is very confusing at this point.

Reactions: revmacian

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Ah, good find, thank you. I feel that there is something wrong somewhere. The System Preferences language leads me to believe that there is no encryption without FileVault. However, the language in the Apple Support document you linked leads me to believe that the encryption is enabled regardless of the status of FileVault.

Compare this:
System Preferences > Security & Privacy > FileVault: "FileVault secures the data on your disk by encrypting its contents automatically".

with this:

Apple support document: "You should also turn on FileVault for additional security, because without FileVault enabled, your encrypted SSDs automatically mount and decrypt when connected to your Mac".

Those two seem to contradict each other. Perhaps Apple intends to deprecate FileVault by using the T2 chip.
Lol the later one is contradictory on its own, no?

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
The T2 chip is basically Apple's A11 chip (ARM processor) that runs in some iPhones. The T2 runs BridgeOS (a modified version of watchOS) in order to control Touch ID (basically an OLED touchscreen). The Core i5/i7/i9 are x86_64 processors. I wonder if part of the problem is that Apple is trying to do too much at one time without having proper multitasking skills.

So, are the going to change the trackpad to an iPhone screen someday?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I just got a new 2018 Mac mini yesterday, and I'm having this issue. Fresh MacOS Mojave install. I shut down the Mac mini, and it just starts up by itself, and gives me this error upon boot:

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.2 (16P2542)","timestamp":"2018-12-30 22:50:34.59 +0000","incident_id":"2742029F-5C02-446E-B103-653293A5204A"}

How on earth does one fix this? I can't shut down my mini without pulling the power cord, which is... ridiculous. FileVault is not turned on, fyi.

Some more info:

"macOSPanicString" : "panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8014678b82): \"PowerOff timed out in phase 'Notifying power plane drivers'. Total 30000 ms:\nvfs_unmountall: 382 ms\nif_down_all: 173 ms\nPowerOff\/Restart message to priority client: 3621 ms @ 0x<ptr>, com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily(2.1)[7D6A3E9B-D1CD-3F8B-9800-C4B943806679]@0x<ptr>->0x<ptr>\nPowerOff\/Restart message to priority client: 3620 ms @ 0x<ptr>, com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily(2.1)[7D6A3E9B-D1CD-3F8B-9800-C4B943806679]@0x<ptr>->0x<ptr>\nPowerOff\/Restart message to priority client: 3652 ms @ 0x<ptr>, com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily(2.1)[7D6A3E9B-D1CD-3F8B-9800-C4B943806679]@0x<ptr>->0x<ptr>\nPowerOff\/Restart message to priority client: 3640 ms @ 0x<ptr>, com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily(2.1)[7D6A3E9B-D1CD-3F8B-9800-C4B943806679]@0x<ptr>->0x<ptr>\nPowerOff\/Restart message to priority client: 3638 ms @ 0x<ptr>,

Now, I have some Thunderbay 4 connected, and they take a little bit to shut down when the system is turned off. I think the Mac mini is basically thinking it's crashed because the drives spin down one by one. If I have just one or two connected, the system is fine on shut down, but if I have all 5 connected, it's taking too long to shut down - hence the crash and automatic startup. Frustrating!

Last edited:

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
It could be but I still think it's Apple trying to interface the T2 to the Intel processor without having design control over both chips.
I still think Apple should remove the T2 chip, Touch Bar and Touch ID. The machine doesn't need any of those things.

Last edited:
Reactions: cfdlab
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.